Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9E5B3745-1CA2-47F5-AE77-520664F3CFF1 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

Enjoying finally playing my new Back to the Future pin that I recently bought and cleaned up a bit. I factory reset the machine after the cleaning and as I am a new owner. I've played a few games but have NOT been able to input my initials for the high score...

I thought doing a factory reset would clear those out...or is there like a minimum score before being allowed to enter your initials?

Thanks for the help! I figure this is something easy I am just not seeing.
Jim

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

I thought doing a factory reset would clear those out...or is there like a minimum score before being allowed to enter your initials?

There are default high scores you have to beat to get your name in, as on location they can award free games.
Watching the displays or holding the button for instant info during the game you should be able to see the scores.

#3 4 years ago

On BTTF, there are 4 high scores you should see during attract mode (when the game is on, but not being played). Should be a couple million.

#4 4 years ago

Normal pin, first 3-4 highscore slots have an employees initials as HS. You want to get upset? Try owning a game that the factory default highscore for a mode that is super hard to reach has a HS that feels unbeatable!
(The Hobbit, Battle of Five Armies) Damn you BB!

#5 4 years ago

Some instructions for Data East games here to lower the factory high scores.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-baywatch-resetting-hstd-possible

#6 4 years ago

All great info! Thanks a lot....just gotta keep playing!

#7 4 years ago

(Jim - I sent you a private message: https://pinside.com/pinball/connect/pinsidemail)

Also - you can set the replay score levels manually or for a certain percentage of games played - in which case the game will periodically re-calculate the threshold score values based on history of games to maintain that percentage.

Read more in your manual:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/126/Data_East_1990_Back_to_the_Future_Manual.pdf
9E5B3745-1CA2-47F5-AE77-520664F3CFF1 (resized).jpeg9E5B3745-1CA2-47F5-AE77-520664F3CFF1 (resized).jpeg

#8 4 years ago

I was able to lower the default high scores to lower values, however I still am not getting what I am expecting. Maybe it’s by design, maybe there’s a setting?

I want to be able to keep adding the highest score, not waiting to get to the next minimum.

Let’s say me and dan are playing and I score 1,000,000 points and get the high score. Then dan comes in and he gets 1,000,200 points. I want him to be the high score and me to be in second place. Instead, it only will keep dans name up and my score isn’t even showing up.

I also read through the manual percentaging but I don’t fully understand it...

Thanks
Jim

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

I was able to lower the default high scores to lower values, however I still am not getting what I am expecting. Maybe it’s by design, maybe there’s a setting?
I want to be able to keep adding the highest score, not waiting to get to the next minimum.
Let’s say me and dan are playing and I score 1,000,000 points and get the high score. Then dan comes in and he gets 1,000,200 points. I want him to be the high score and me to be in second place. Instead, it only will keep dans name up and my score isn’t even showing up.
I also read through the manual percentaging but I don’t fully understand it...
Thanks
Jim

There should be at least 4 high score settings. One for each place. First through 4th. Make them all lower values. Make high score 4 like 100k, then high score 3 like 150k. Then high score 2 like 200k. Then high score 1 like 250k.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There should be at least 4 high score settings. One for each place. First through 4th. Make them all lower values. Make high score 4 like 100k, then high score 3 like 150k. Then high score 2 like 200k. Then high score 1 like 250k.

Ok yeah I had thought about that...just didn't know if there was a more direct way to do it. Like overriding all of those steps. But doing that makes sense. Ill give it a shot. Thank you!

Jim

#11 4 years ago

Ok that seemed to do the trick. Now it’s behaving as I had expected it too.

But on a side note...what is a “loop back champ”?

I see there is default initials with a loop back score of 7. However I cannot find this in the manual.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Ok that seemed to do the trick. Now it’s behaving as I had expected it too.
But on a side note...what is a “loop back champ”?
I see there is default initials with a loop back score of 7. However I cannot find this in the manual.

I believe this is how many times you can make the ramp shot consecutively in one game. It keeps a running total through all 3 balls. My data east Simpson’s has this as well. I think my current loop back champ score is 27. On my Simpson’s when you beat the current score you also get an additional half million added to your score as well as being able to add initials at the end

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I believe this is how many times you can make the ramp shot consecutively in one game. It keeps a running total through all 3 balls. My data east Simpson’s has this as well. I think my current loop back champ score is 27. On my Simpson’s when you beat the current score you also get an additional half million added to your score as well as being able to add initials at the end

Ah ok. This makes sense. I have the BTTF machine. I’m just surprised that it seems like this is the only score you cannot change to a lower value. Hmmm.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Ah ok. This makes sense. I have the BTTF machine. I’m just surprised that it seems like this is the only score you cannot change to a lower value. Hmmm.

Common. Even on newer games the high scores are the only ones you can change. You cannot change the objective ones. Just beat it!

#15 4 years ago

I’m still trying to knock WAG (the default) off my Dirty Harry ....he has 2 arrests in the Crime Wave and I have yet to make a single arrest! I own the high scores though

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Common. Even on newer games the high scores are the only ones you can change. You cannot change the objective ones. Just beat it!

I agree...I'm just new to all of this Pinball stuff so I just wasn't sure and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks guys!
Jim

#17 4 years ago

Had another question while fooling around with the settings. Wanted to award extra balls instead of credits.

Then while playing I had wondered if there is a way to turn off the high scores and just keep the world record score.

I basically just want to see one high score to beat, and that’s it. Right now there is a world record score followed by 5 high scores.

Is there a way to remove the high scores and keep the world record score? Or at the very least keep the world record score and just the number 1 high score?

I looked through the manual and if it’s there I may have misunderstood the setting.

This is for Data East Back to the Future.

Thanks!
Jim

#18 4 years ago

Nope. They all have to stay. In more modern games you can remove them completely, but it’s an all or none thing.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. They all have to stay. In more modern games you can remove them completely, but it’s an all or none thing.

Yeah I thought so since I just could not find a setting...but thought I was overlooking something. Thank you!

Jim

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Interesting. I did not know that.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Interesting. I did not know that.

Yeah. Not sure why anyone would want that, but you can do it on sterns for sure. It’s called allow high scores. Maybe it’s for people that think competition is evil. Haha

#22 4 years ago

World record score just means that's the highest score. Bally/Williams is called Grand Champion IIRC. C'mon man, I suck at pinball, but even I can knock off the default grand champion score if I kept on trying.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

World record score just means that's the highest score. Bally/Williams is called Grand Champion IIRC. C'mon man, I suck at pinball, but even I can knock off the default grand champion score if I kept on trying.

Some are hard though. Mainly the data east dmd games.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I’m not worried about beating it. I just wanted it to be the only score to worry about. Since really only me and a buddy play it’s weird to have our initials 5 different times. I just wanted to see if only the highest score could be displayed and that’s it.

#25 4 years ago

See if http://www.pinballcode.com/ would be willing to modify your code for you.... he's the data east software guru

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

m still trying to knock WAG (the default) off my Dirty Harry ....he has 2 arrests in the Crime Wave and I have yet to make a single arrest! I own the high scores though

Be prepared, you need 3! Arrests to get your name up, getting 2 doesn’t do it.
One of the harder default initials to beat.

#27 4 years ago

Ultimately, the default high scores are typically easily surpassed by a relatively decent game. I would encourage you to read the rules of the game, and to just get better at playing it (besides, this gives you a good goal and motivation to learn the game).

Otherwise, some/many/most have the ability in service mode to reset and even lower the default high scores, so that is always an option - just reference the game's manual.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Be prepared, you need 3! Arrests to get your name up, getting 2 doesn’t do it.
One of the harder default initials to beat.

I don’t think I’ll ever beat 2 arrrests, not with the glass on anyway. I had a good game this weekend, got to Crime Wave and.... no arrests. Gah!

I know..... “play better!”

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

I don’t think I’ll ever beat 2 arrrests, not with the glass on anyway. I had a good game this weekend, got to Crime Wave and.... no arrests. Gah!
I know..... “play better!”

Well, not with that attitude.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beginner-question-about-high-scores?hl=jimgravina and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.