Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8F1EE60D-4A13-4DD9-8BC1-B952E375BC27 (resized).jpeg
19D9834C-621C-4347-BBEF-E69F42A0C88C (resized).jpeg
fuse (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

as per title.

I'm trying to diagnose why half the lights in the translite aren't working - I believe they are all on the flasher string.

I thought id check the fuses, this appears to be F114, I noticed it doesnt have the coil around it like all the others - apologies if this is mentioned in another thread or is part of a FAQ.

Photo attached - it doesn't have the spiral wire around it like all the other fuses.

Thanks
fuse (resized).jpgfuse (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Fuses come in all sorts of styles. The only way to know for sure is to remove it and test it for continuity with a meter. After that, make sure the fuse holders are tight, I fought with an issue for months because the fuse was loose in the holder.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks - time to get a meter reader

#4 4 years ago

And you have to remove the fuse from the game. A cheap meter can be like $30 and can solve tons of issues.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Fuses come in all sorts of styles. The only way to know for sure is to remove it and test it for continuity with a meter. After that, make sure the fuse holders are tight, I fought with an issue for months because the fuse was loose in the holder.

I didn’t believe this for about a year or two first starting. I always thought “nah you can tell if you look closely”
Till sure enough, the day... or rather week came that I fought with my Night Moves and it wouldn’t power on. I was so confused, thinking I destroyed it. I checked all the fuses, no obvious blow outs or burns. Usually you can see right where the wire burns inside them. I chased down everything and pulled boards.
Finally I rechecked the fuses but with a METER this time. Sure enough a MINT shiny clean fuse was bad. I broke it open and found it had blown was up in the metal cap so you would have never seen the broken wire.
Always check the fuses with a meter to be certain!

Sometimes it really is just a fuse!

#6 4 years ago

Do you have "electron vision"? I know I don't.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from skankingaround:

I'm trying to diagnose why half the lights in the translite aren't working - I believe they are all on the flasher string.

if it is the flashers, they only come on during certain times during the game or during test mode.

If it is the GI circuit (smaller bulbs}, the most likely cause of them not working is a bad or burnt connection that you will find at the lower left of the driver board. Very common problem and the fix is a new connector and new pins.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

if it is the flashers, they only come on during certain times during the game or during test mode.
If it is the GI circuit (smaller bulbs}, the most likely cause of them not working is a bad or burnt connection that you will find at the lower left of the driver board. Very common problem and the fix is a new connector and new pins.

o-din

It’s all the “big” bulbs in the translite. The globe behind stretch the truth also doesn’t work. I’ll grab a pic shortly and check what you mentioned thanks !

Multimeter has been ordered ! Thanks appreciate the replies.

#9 4 years ago

The machine also goes completely dark (no lights at all on PF) when you drain that may be by design though

19D9834C-621C-4347-BBEF-E69F42A0C88C (resized).jpeg19D9834C-621C-4347-BBEF-E69F42A0C88C (resized).jpeg8F1EE60D-4A13-4DD9-8BC1-B952E375BC27 (resized).jpeg8F1EE60D-4A13-4DD9-8BC1-B952E375BC27 (resized).jpeg
#10 4 years ago

Hard to tell from the photo because of glare from the light.
I assume you're referring to the 4th fuse which is newer than the rest and looks to have been replaced at one point.
If so it looks like it's probably blown to me.
The filament in the middle is a thin wire strip that melts and pops the fuse when it overheats to prevent damage elsewhere.
It looks like there's a ball of metal on the filament which is where it would have melted and failed, but like I said its hard to tell from the photo.

Like others have said get a meeter and test it (its an essential tool).

If it is blown:
Since you know that fuse has already been replaced once as the other ones have oxidation and this one looks newer I would check to make sure you have the right amp fuse installed when you replace it.
If the previous owner just threw any old fuse in there it may not have been the sufficient amps and that could be a reason it failed.

If you replace the fuse with the correct amp fuse and it blows again you have other issues that are causing it to blow.

#11 4 years ago

It’s all the “big” bulbs in the translite.

Those "big" bulbs are 906 flashers. They aren't part of the GI circuit. Use test T.5 to test the flashers. Don't forget to close the coin door to close the high voltage interlock switch which is required for testing flashers on DCS machines and later.

The globe behind stretch the truth also doesn’t work.

That's a regular GI bulb. I'd pull it from the socket and "bend" the wire leads so that they make better contact with the contacts in the socket. You can wiggle the bulb and see if it lights up. Also to exclude a bad bulb swap it with another bulb that is good.

#12 4 years ago

I thought id check the fuses, this appears to be F114, I noticed it doesnt have the coil around it like all the others - apologies if this is mentioned in another thread or is part of a FAQ.

F114 is the fuse for +18V (controlled lamps) and +12VR (switch matrix). It's not related to the GI circuitry.

#13 4 years ago

thanks DumbAss

Seems T5 20 Light Extra ball causes flashing of two of the 906 flashers behind the translite , a few of the other tests do absolutely nothing though.

eg T5 21 - Rock the Boat
T5 25 Reel
T5 19 Instant MBALL
T5 18 Super Jackpot

** after further investigation and looking around it seems as though the majority of these 906 flashers are simply dead / blown, I moved a bulb from Light extra ball into a few other spots and then it worked in one of the other modes - is there a matrix as to what lights should go in what mode ? (I dont have any manuals with the machine)

Thankyou - I no longer need to look at the fuses but do need to get some more LED's it seems - the ones I have also seemed to work in the larger 906 flasher connection.

Onto the next issue......

#14 4 years ago

The machine also goes completely dark (no lights at all on PF) when you drain that may be by design though

Yes. The game does this.

Seems T5 20 Light Extra ball causes flashing of two of the 906 flashers behind the translite

It is common on WPC games to have one or more flashers connected to a single drive transistor. The manual says that solenoid 20 will flash one under the playfield and two in the backbox. Check page 3-9 of the manual.

is there a matrix as to what lights should go in what mode ? (I dont have any manuals with the machine)

https://www.ipdb.org/files/861/Williams_1992_Fish_Tales_English_Manual.pdf

#15 4 years ago

** after further investigation and looking around it seems as though the majority of these 906 flashers are simply dead / blown, I moved a bulb from Light extra ball into a few other spots and then it worked in one of the other modes - is there a matrix as to what lights should go in what mode ? (I dont have any manuals with the machine)
Thankyou - I no longer need to look at the fuses but do need to get some more LED's it seems - the ones I have also seemed to work in the larger 906 flasher connection.
Onto the next issue......

Lesson learned-Always check the bulbs first then the fuses, especially on those flasher bulbs since operators never replaced them once they burned out.

John

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Lesson learned-Always check the bulbs first then the fuses, especially on those flasher bulbs since operators never replaced them once they burned out.
John

True that ... was just shocked 95% were gone...... ive got a long way to go. Looks like I should get different LED's to replace the flashers. ill jump on that in the next few days.

Thanks all ill mark this one as resolved

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beginner-q-is-this-fuse-broken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.