Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jackd104
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I'm having some friends over for a friendly golf-style tourney. These are not pinheads, some beginners l, some have a little skills. The machines are taf, FH, and tz (and I might throw in Galaga/ms PAC man from my cocktail table) Looking for suggestions on good score thresholds for a friendly beginner tourney!

Thanks
    Jack

#2 10 years ago

Bump. C'mon I thought you guys would be full of opinions

#3 10 years ago

How can you have a golf tournament without a Tee'd Off or a No Good Gophers?

#4 10 years ago

I wish I had NGG! It's on my son's wish list, he loves it.

#5 10 years ago

a good taf score is atleast 50 mil

#6 10 years ago

so a golf pinball tourney is where a certain score on the pin = par, a worse score = bogey, better = a birdie?

#7 10 years ago

If that is the case just base it off the default replay scores.

2Xreplay or above = eagle
    replay to under 2Xreplay = birdie
    1/2 replay to under replay = par
    1/4 replay to under 1/2 = bogey
    1/4 replay and below = double bogey

Adjust as needed for skill level of player, can shift levels around to handicap players, or turn extra balls off etc.

#8 10 years ago

Sorry, I should have explained. You set a score threshold for a machine. If you hit it in one ball, hole in one. Second ball, two points, third ball, three points, and four points failing that. After a set number of games, tally the scores and lowest score wins.

#9 10 years ago

Never done a golf tourney before, but, I would guess that beginners never reach the replay score, and intermediate players, maybe only 10 or 20% of the time? I like the idea of using the replay score as a guide, so maybe...25% of that as par?

Also, a question: in golf, what happens if you make it on your first ball? Just end your game? Or is there anything to play for after that?

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. There's no real need to play after you hit the mark. You can drain or continue. Usually if there's a lot of ppl folks just drain to save time.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Sorry, I should have explained. You set a score threshold for a machine. If you hit it in one ball, hole in one. Second ball, two points, third ball, three points, and four points failing that. After a set number of games, tally the scores and lowest score wins.

Well 'points' in this case are strokes, but the % of a replay would be a good place to look for your thresholds.
    In fact the default replay score is supposed to auto adjust to 5% of games played, after so many games logged. I think that can be set to as high as 50% of games resulting in a replay score.

So given enough games played your tourney could handicap itself, to whatever percent of players you want to hit a replay level.

#12 10 years ago

Party went great, all had fun. I watched people play before the tourney to test scores. Ended up starting the tourney with taf = 15 mil, tz = 15 mil, FH = 2 mil. For non pinheads this proved to be challenging. Taf was perfect, tz actually a bit too low, and FH was a bit too challenging. Pins were set to 5 ball, no extra balls. Tz scores were mainly 1-2s, taf ranged from 1s to 6s with the average around 3. FH in the 3-6s. So there you have it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beginner-intermediate-golf-tourney and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.