DSC01635.jpg
DSC02872_zps8680bb57.jpg
DSC02871_zpsed130d23.jpg
DSC02870_zps8f4e5538.jpg
DSC02869_zps320b709b.jpg
DSC02868_zps72db1253.jpg
DSC02873_zpscc587586.jpg
DSC02831_zps1dd6aaa3.jpg
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Trying to tear down my play field and get most of the metal off to have it gold plated along with the outer armor. Also decided to clean and fix whatever I could while I had it torn down. Man, what a nerve-racking process. Here are some pics in progress:

DSC02645_zps55448ee3.jpgDSC02645_zps55448ee3.jpg DSC02647_zps8dcb2468.jpgDSC02647_zps8dcb2468.jpg DSC02646_zps5f5506d6.jpgDSC02646_zps5f5506d6.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Of course I'll also be removing that rusty, corroded lock bar. I do have one question though. How do I get this last stainless ball guide/guardrail off (the long one in the back corner under Amy)? There must be screws I am missing in the back somewhere:

DSC02644_zpse019f594.jpgDSC02644_zpse019f594.jpg DSC02649_zps6d5883df.jpgDSC02649_zps6d5883df.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Now that most of the plastics and ramps were removed, I noticed a bit of playfield detail I'd missed before. Hi little guys:

DSC02650_zps6f793387.jpgDSC02650_zps6f793387.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Looking good. Keep the pics coming.

#5 11 years ago

Looking good. Keep the pics coming.

Thanks.

DSC02643_zps7170c238.jpgDSC02643_zps7170c238.jpg DSC02648_zpsedb1f25a.jpgDSC02648_zpsedb1f25a.jpg

#6 11 years ago

I've always wanted to play a Congo.

Tearing down a playfield, cleaning everything and fixing some stuff, and then putting it all back on is such a fun and rewarding process!

#7 11 years ago

Don't forget after pics, when you are done. Please.

LTG : )

#8 11 years ago

Wow, the side decals on your lower playfield look really nice. I just received one replacement side decal (they didn't have the other side) from Pinball Australia. Will be looking at options for recreating the other side.

#9 11 years ago

When I tore down my Congo, I found this the most convenient way to track where the upper PF parts go. It's the first time I took this approach instead of relying on pictures alone. Reassembly was a piece of cake.

IMG_0963.JPGIMG_0963.JPG IMG_0964.JPGIMG_0964.JPG

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from superJackpot:

When I tore down my Congo, I found this the most convenient way to track where the upper PF parts go. It's the first time I took this approach instead of relying on pictures alone. Reassembly was a piece of cake.

Awesome. I almost did this very thing. Your pics will help. How did you remove the large metal guide in the back left? It's got screws in the front curve and behind it in the corner, then it has spikes that sit in holes on the playfield, but what is on the right side holding it in the back?

#11 11 years ago

Super: Really cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

what is on the right side holding it in the back?

It was a while ago and I don't recall exactly... but I do believe the controlled gates posed a problem with that piece. I had to remove or at least loosen them to some extent, as they hang over the metal guide. I had pulled the plastics, volcano, rails and ramps etc. before I did this piece.

#13 11 years ago

I played Congo for the first time at expo. It was a fun game. Liked the video mode.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from superJackpot:

It was a while ago and I don't recall exactly... but I do believe the controlled gates posed a problem with that piece. I had to remove or at least loosen them to some extent, as they hang over the metal guide. I had pulled the plastics, volcano, rails and ramps etc. before I did this piece.

Yep, got it. Thanks.

#15 11 years ago

Hi, somebody spilled soda on me in 1997, and I still haven't forgotten about it:

DSC02653_zpsb4234c4c.jpgDSC02653_zpsb4234c4c.jpg DSC02654_zpsf7e06cf0.jpgDSC02654_zpsf7e06cf0.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Hello, I was 'restored' from the front only. Why remove the parts when you can just paint them where they stand? And hey, nobody really sees the back of the door anyway:

DSC02652_zpse058fbd0.jpgDSC02652_zpse058fbd0.jpg

#17 11 years ago

Anyone know the best place to get the lock bar receiver stickers? This one and the High Voltage one?

DSC02656_zps03cda1a6.jpgDSC02656_zps03cda1a6.jpg

#18 11 years ago

I think treasure cove still sells thos WPC shop out kit if I remember correctly

#19 11 years ago

See if you can find 'cheapo' ones here.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

#20 11 years ago

Found the PDF file for the balls one, thanks.

#21 11 years ago

While most plastics and ball guides are removed, I decided to start LEDing the playfield. It's still in the experimental phase, but I am liking the transformation so far. The greens are really adding something. I actually put color changers in near the flippers and love the dynamic of them too. Seemed like the perfect place for them. Here it is so far:

DSC02668_zps809f0bf2.jpgDSC02668_zps809f0bf2.jpg

Vs. how I got it:

DSC01605.jpgDSC01605.jpg

#22 11 years ago

Use a wire wheel for that gnarly lockbar receiver, nothing better! Wear a dust mask.

#23 11 years ago

D'oh, another Congo pimped out beyond all recognition.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

D'oh, another Congo pimped out beyond all recognition.

Don't be sad. They're only light bulbs. I guarantee you if Williams had access to different colored LEDs in the 90's, they woulda used them.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

Don't be sad. They're only light bulbs. I guarantee you if Williams had access to different colored LEDs in the 90's, they woulda used them.

It's a good point. If games came LED'd back in the day and LEDs were easily available as they are now everyone would love them

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

It's a good point. If games came LED'd back in the day and LEDs were easily available as they are now everyone would love them

Yep, you hear similar gripes in the arcade world when somebody changes the original T-molding color or buttons on a game. They tie all of their happiness to keeping EVERYTHING original, right down to the ugly and inefficient stuff, cuz that's the way they *think* they remember it. I never actually played ANY 1990s Williams' pinballs in the 90's, so I have no nostalgic ties to what was originally used by the manufacturer. I do what I like and what makes sense.

#27 11 years ago

The game's artwork is visible in the original (bottom picture); it looked really nice once.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The game's artwork is visible in the original (bottom picture); it looked really nice once.

The house lights were on and it was daytime in the non-LED pic. The LED pic was taken at night with all the lights off for effect. Plus, most of the plastics are removed so there is nothing diffusing the glare of the bulbs.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

The house lights were on and it was daytime in the non-LED pic. The LED pic was taken at night with all the lights off for effect. Plus, none of the plastics are in place diffusing the glare of the bulbs.

OK. Would like to see a pic when it's all done. I admit that I haven't seen an LED'ed Congo IRL yet; maybe it looks okay. But...I don't use clear #55 lamps for nostalgia; I use them so I can see.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

OK. Would like to see a pic when it's all done. I admit that I haven't seen an LED'ed Congo IRL yet; maybe it looks okay. But...I don't use clear #55 lamps for nostalgia; I use them so I can see.

Hahahahahahaha, good answer. I am completely with you on the "so I can see" part. That's mostly the reason I use the dimmer ablaze LEDs rather then the retina burning coin-takers. I bought my TFTC so completely blinged out in Coin-Takers that it can actually be seen from Space. I hate it.

#31 11 years ago

Not an LED in sight. Coloured incandescents under the jungle plastics. Clear everywhere else.

#32 11 years ago

Not an LED in sight, nor will there be. Green coloured incandescents under the jungle plastics along the sides, blue in the back and in the pops. Clear everywhere else.

IMG_2283.JPGIMG_2283.JPG

#33 11 years ago

Looks good. I see a lot of people using the green bulbs under the slings, and it makes the Ghost Tribe men look ill.

#34 11 years ago

That's where you are wrong. If games came with them, yes for the reasons below. However, incandescent bulbs are able to dim, and the creators of the game knew it. Take AC/DC, AWESOME with LEDs, because it was built from the ground up with LEDs in mind.

Also, trying to retrofit most WPC games with LEDs ensures you are going to lose at best, some of the lighting effects. Even with Sterns, SM and WPT relied on the different brightnesses as progress indicators in the inserts.

With that being said, and it's obvious I'm not a huge LED fan, Congo looks friggin sweet with LEDS. I think it depends on the colors and sizes, but Congo is Awesome.

Quoted from jrivelli:

If games came LED'd back in the day and LEDs were easily available as they are now everyone would love them

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Looks good. I see a lot of people using the green bulbs under the slings, and it makes the Ghost Tribe men look ill.

Actually, they looked ill when they were white. Now they look like mini Incredible Hulks.

#36 11 years ago

The ghost tribe has several levels of "dead." Someone's not dead until they're completely "dead."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112715/quotes

#37 11 years ago

I'm also still working on my topper.

DSC02016.jpgDSC02016.jpg

#38 11 years ago

I actually picked up a Congo promo/press/video store display kit off of ebay a while back that has some cool swag in it. Big cardboard cutouts, logo translights, etc. It's still boxed, should probably see what's in it.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

I actually picked up a Congo promo/press/video store display kit off of ebay a while back that has some cool swag in it. Big cardboard cutouts, logo translights, etc. It's still boxed, should probably see what's in it.

Cool! I'd definitely like to see pics of that. The game looks awesomely cheesy and fun.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Cool! I'd definitely like to see pics of that. The game looks awesomely cheesy and fun.

Too bad it's sealed. I really want to play it, but I don't want to decrease the value of what could become the most sought-after board game of all time.

#41 11 years ago

I'm not deadset against LEDs but I find the ghosting prohibitive on most of my older games. Nothing worse than having an insert half lit when it's supposed to be off. My Williams IJ came with LEDs and that's the behaviour it exhibited. Perhaps some of the more expensive LEDs can correct this, or non-ghosting game roms??

But mostly, it's the soft rise and fall of bulbs that I like. The cascading of lights looks best with bulbs IMO. Rapid on/off flashing of LEDs becomes bothersome to me (STTNG with LEDs previous owner installed was really bad). If I find I cannot track a ball, losing it in the strobe effect of LED insert lights, out they come.

No question the LED bright white looks much nicer that the yellowy white of bulbs. Colours really pop with LEDs in attract mode but they are not so compliant in game mode. TOM is a great example of this.

I think some games take well to LEDs. DM is one I've heard. Congo may be another. But for now, I'm sticking to coloured incandescents.

BTW, I've seen WOZECLE in person. Now that is how leds should be done! Very smooth, gradient.... perfect! Obviously a true bottom up design with LEDs in mind. The future looks good for LEDs when implemented like that.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

I'm also still working on my topper.

I'd still fix that to the top of the game I don't think it would be out of place. At least it would be on display.

#43 11 years ago

I done this lighting for my congo..

and of course the shaker motor mod for the volcano

IMG_5698a.jpgIMG_5698a.jpg

#44 11 years ago

Finally got my last back box GI string working. While I had the light box down, I LEDed it out the best I could with the leds I had left over from my other 2 projects. This translight is perfect for colored LEDs, as it has colors separated into cut and dry sections. Reds, violets and oranges near the volcano, blues in the sky, green in the jungle foliage, oranges and purples in the character's clothes, golds in the Congo logo, whites in the diamonds, etc.

DSC02679_zpsc0306a17.jpgDSC02679_zpsc0306a17.jpg DSC02677_zps408153e8.jpgDSC02677_zps408153e8.jpg DSC02678_zps61a4017c.jpgDSC02678_zps61a4017c.jpg

#45 11 years ago

Wow your Congo Looks great! I have a Congo and I will say that I am going to copy your led color scheme and do it to my machine. I love the way you made the playfield match the translight in color layout (I assume this was done on purpose, if not you did a perfect job unintentionally). What exact led’s did you use, the pinball life single or double led’s?

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

Wow your Congo Looks great! I have a Congo and I will say that I am going to copy your led color scheme and do it to my machine. I love the way you made the playfield match the translight in color layout (I assume this was done on purpose, if not you did a perfect job unintentionally). What exact led’s did you use, the pinball life single or double led’s?

I used ablaze 1 frosted and colored LEDs and ablaze 3 superbrights. The color matching kinda worked out on its own. I did the playfield first and did not have the translight in the machine at the time. Once I saw it in pics I was like, whoa they DO match nicely.

#47 11 years ago

pinball life leds? looks great.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

pinball life leds? looks great.

Yep. Terry has done me right so many times that I am happy to give him my business. Plus, they cost a lot less, and I'm cheap.

#49 11 years ago

Thanks for the led info. I always bought Cointaker led's until I tried the ones from Pinball life, now I get them from Terry because they look great, and I am cheap also.

#50 11 years ago

Got the lock bar receiver stripped, sanded, cleaned and finished over the weekend. Now I just need the stickers:

DSC02701_zps22f9dd98.jpgDSC02701_zps22f9dd98.jpg DSC02702_zps9414a4de.jpgDSC02702_zps9414a4de.jpg DSC02703_zps32d85c35.jpgDSC02703_zps32d85c35.jpg DSC02704_zps4b6c4368.jpgDSC02704_zps4b6c4368.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/began-stripping-my-congo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.