(Topic ID: 296895)

Before the "Dark Times"... Before Pinside...

By Bublehead

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

I can remember being in the arcade ca. 1980 and LOVED playing a machine called "Head On"...the pins in this arcade were pretty well rotated. When they got a Space Invaders (pin) I thought, "THIS is the next generation of pinball" because there was still a predominance of EM's in arcades at that time. Then right after SI came Black Knight (the good one, NOT BK2K), Meteor, etc. At that time I pretty much abandoned vids and stayed with pins from there on. I bought myself a brand new SI pin and after that BK, Fathom, etc. I'd rotate them out pretty heavily in my garage-cade. Man, I wish I'd kept most of them! Buying NIB in those days -especially if you were a kid of 17 like I was- was not for the weak-hearted. The operator whom I dealt with had to "vet" me so to speak to make sure I wasn't placing these on location. I think he pretty much trusted me after his "gumbas" (his words) delivered pins to my garage and saw my set up! Best times of my life!

You’re the first person I’ve EVER heard of that bought NIB back in the 1980s holy smokes. You were really a maverick there!

Quoted from DNO:

You should, there is no shame in owning ANY pin.
    Those that can’t imagine a pin being a fun experience the first time you play it are just probably used to letting others do their thinking.
    I mean, if you had NEVER seen Popeye, wouldn’t you be intrigued by the large upper playfield? The mini game up there, the sweet boat apron? How about that Bluto lockup? How many balls can that thing hold, how does it work?
    That used to be the fun, discovering NEW games for yourself, even if you were only discovering that they weren’t really that good.
    Listening to know-it-all’s bash games and pick them apart before you even get to flip it is a real downer, and ruins what should be a good time for anyone that is playing ANY new pinball machine.

I own plenty of games that seem universally hated, and most guests find they’re actually a blast! It’s all about delivery and expectations! I own games that are ridiculously hard and they’re setup to be punishing. Then I have a couple that are set very easy and forgiving to let newbies warm-up or cool down on. Build some confidence and then play Seawitch for 50 seconds and get smacked down!
    Rinse repeat.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Thanks for the kind words! I started really young..was around 9-10 years old when I saw a coin-op player piano at Lake George. I was hooked and started scanning the local papers for pianos for sale. We're taking like 25-50 dollar pianos here! I'd find one, drive over to see it on my bike, and had 2 college guys that would pick up and deliver it to my garage for 25.00 (!) as I was too young to drive. I taught myself how to restore them and did pretty well money-wise. By the time I was around 16, pianos were starting to wane, but pins were around and were dirt cheap. So I migrated to them and with the sizable amount of $$$ I had made from pianos, I was able to parlay that into pins & vids. It just seemed so easy back then but I cannot fathom how a parent today would let his kid do what I did! My sincere thanks to my mom who always had faith and pride in what I did!

“That’s my little boy. We have 5 pianos in our house right now and a 6th is being delivered! No matchbox or GI Joe for him, just Baby Grands!” - CubeSnake’s ridiculously patient mother.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The games that utterly destroyed pins at my favorite arcade were Galaga and Ms. PacMan. I was pretty upset when I went there one night and half the pins were gone, replaced with 5 copies each of Galaga and Ms. Pac. And who could blame the owner - every video game was occupied, and half the pins were idle. Plus, people were dropping a quarter into the vids at least once a minute on average. Pins were more like 5 minutes, and they had those pesky replays!

The replays existed on Galaga and Pac-Man hit were ridiculous! Totally unattainable.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/before-the-dark-times-before-pinside?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.