(Topic ID: 296895)

Before the "Dark Times"... Before Pinside...

By Bublehead

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Remember back when the first time you saw a new pin title was when it showed up at your favorite location?

U were certainly lucky to get NIB games at ur fav locations. I remember mostly beat up neglected routed pins. I mean some worked just fine but most were kinda dirty and the ops neglected the shit out of them. That being said, teenage years, skipping school, smoking hash, arcades, nothing but sheer joy.

#52 3 months ago

After growing up playing dirty EM'S in campgrounds and taverns, walking into the bowling alley the day the Black Knight showed up was amazing.

Ramps, speech, magnets, the sound and color were all amazing. Later bummed when it was replaced by Jungle Lord until I played that and found it was even better. JL is still my favorite to this day.

Best part is I currently own two of each.

#53 3 months ago

The excitement was always immediate, no waiting, no prognostication, it's like Christmas morning.

But... there usually was a wait...

Waiting for whomever was currently playing to finish their game... and the surprised look on their faces as you dumped a fistful of quarters on the glass... yeah, we got next game and then some, dude.

Back when people respected those quarters lined up on the glass... and when you're a walking brick shit house like me and my brother, people never gave us much resistance anyways.

And we ALWAYS ask politely if they want to play with us. That would usually surprise them, but as we would sit there and win free game after free game, their pocket change would dwindle and soon we are giving them our extra free games.

It always gave me a big smile walking away with quarters in my pocket and 4 to 5 free games left on the machine. When you got good enough to play all day on a machine and you lived the pinball wizard lifestyle- "always gets a replay, never seen him fall-" those were the days of wine and roses.

If only I had those teenager reflexes once again...

#54 3 months ago

I'm another relic from before Pinside and RGP. I've been playing pinball regularly for about 48 years.
    I remember playing Fireball, Captain Fantastic, Wizard, and many others when they first came out or were only a few years old.
    I can also remember the amazement of seeing Flash, Black Knight, Black Hole, and all the early SS games as they appeared in the arcades.
    I have never stopped playing, and have always looked for them in restaurants, bowling alleys, malls, bars, or wherever.
    I stay home a lot more these days, and I'm fortunate to have a good collection of games to keep me entertained.

#55 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

This is NOT a Pinside bashing thread...
    This is a "Remember when..." thread.

So, shouldn't the topic be something like "DURING the Dark Times...before Pinside?" or just "The Dark Times....Before Pinside?"

By phrasing it "Before The Dark Times...Before Pinside", you're actually defining Pinside as "The Dark Times"......

Yes, I'm bored. And i made an actual comment yesterday, so there.

#56 3 months ago

Sigh... I was lucky to have a ton of arcades by me growing up in Overland Park, Kansas. King Louie Bowling had an enormous pin/arcade collection. Red Baron in the Metcalf South Mall. Oak Park Mall and Bannister Mall had Fun Factories. Malibu Grand Prix, Putt-Putt Golf N Games... literally a dozen or more places with several having hundreds of arcades and dozens of pins.

I wonder how today's kids are going to reflect on their middle-school and high-school years. We had bikes, movie theaters, drive-ins, arcades, public pools, virtually no adult supervision. What are they going to have? "I played a ton of Fortnite in between my basketball training while making TikTok videos." Lame as hell. I truly feel bad for them. While they have the freedom to explore the world virtually, they don't have it physically. And social media has made what I would have considered even a reasonably optimistic world (and this is at the height of Cold War tensions, Iran hostage crisis, etc.) a total negative, divisive shit show.

#57 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

So, shouldn't the topic be something like "DURING the Dark Times...before Pinside?" or just "The Dark Times....Before Pinside?"
    By phrasing it "Before The Dark Times...Before Pinside", you're actually defining Pinside as "The Dark Times"......
    Yes, I'm bored. And i made an actual comment yesterday, so there.

It's more of a half assed Star Wars reference... nothing more.

#58 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

It's more of a half assed Star Wars reference... nothing more.

#59 3 months ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

While they have the freedom to explore the world virtually, they don't have it physically.

Gas prices are what's different these days... we drove around in a 1972 Chevy Kingswood station wagon that got at best 11 miles to the gallon and we could still drive around all night cruising after collecting pocket change from everybody for gas.

#60 3 months ago

Before the internet..

One would have to look at for sale ads in newspapers, including auction listings. We had a sales paper that was called 'Buy & Sell', that was weekly. Also some on site pins had the operators business cards on them, calling the number was hit or miss.

#61 3 months ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Got hooked on pinball in 1989 well before this newfangled internet madness. Machines were found via the classified in the local rag....Back in the early internet days there was a news group called 'rec.games.pinball' and that was very active as early as the Darpa net.

To be more precise, rec.games.pinball was launched on 20 November 1990 (I was involved), but it was justified by all the pinball traffic that had been in rec.games.video.arcade before that. Newsgroups could propagate over the Internet or UUCP connections. I'm presuming that Steve is sarcastically using the words "newfangled internet madness" to refer to the WorldWide Web. Newsgroups can now be read via WWW.

In the 1989-90 era, we had the national newsletter, Pinball Trader, as a way to see classified ads for pinball. In the New England area, there were printed weeklies that were nothing but classified ads. A thing called "The Want ADvertiser" coming out of a Boston suburb was the most likely to have (used) pinballs and other coin-op games. You had an advantage if you knew which newsstands got it earliest in the week.

As for new game releases, the times were actually less "dark" in the 1960s than in the 1970s and 1980s, because Billboard magazine carried ads for new games in their Coin Machines section. Billboard was available on the better newsstands, as it continues to be today, but they really tapered off the coin machine coverage around 1969-71, just in time to miss out on the original coin-op video games. Coming full circle, you can now find back issues of Billboard to view online, and they have often been OCR-scanned so that the text is searchable. No more dark times!
    .................David Marston

#62 3 months ago

Going to arcades started in 1981 or so, remember Atari Kangaroo and Rock ola Eyes vids. Pinballs all in the back, first got hooked on Space Shuttle and Pinbot. Aside is that i do recall in late 70s a diner that had a Six Million Dollar Man my mom would play with me. Never thought about how you could have pins in your house. 2012, bought two (F14 as it was a favorite, and Grand Lizard as I get two shipped for same cost). Now they've multiplied and my wife plays, and my 5 year old won't go a day without playing them, and knows basically how they work(power on, removing the glass etc). 80s arecades the pin section was always the best hang out though for sure, now I feel I've got it at home, and can pass it forward to my son.

#63 3 months ago

I can remember mowing grass in my neighborhood to make enough money for the specific purpose of riding my bicycle to the local department store where there was a Mata Hari and some other pinball machine. At the time, the details of the machines and the theme was not important. I just wanted to play pinball and I would do almost anything to make that happen. I usually played the machine that I could get the most replays on, so I could stretch the money that I did have. It is a vivid memory. Now, I own my own pinball machine and it doesn't cost me a dime to play it. That is significant.

#64 3 months ago

Like someone already had said earlier once space invaders came out pins were ignored. By 1980 one of my friends had gotten a hold of an asteroids machine and had it in his room. That was unbelievable to us back then. But sadly had I known more about pinball I definitely would’ve started a collection 25 years earlier.

#65 3 months ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

once space invaders came out pins were ignored.

The games that utterly destroyed pins at my favorite arcade were Galaga and Ms. PacMan. I was pretty upset when I went there one night and half the pins were gone, replaced with 5 copies each of Galaga and Ms. Pac. And who could blame the owner - every video game was occupied, and half the pins were idle. Plus, people were dropping a quarter into the vids at least once a minute on average. Pins were more like 5 minutes, and they had those pesky replays!

#66 3 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The games that utterly destroyed pins at my favorite arcade were Galaga and Ms. PacMan. I was pretty upset when I went there one night and half the pins were gone, replaced with 5 copies each of Galaga and Ms. Pac. And who could blame the owner - every video game was occupied, and half the pins were idle. Plus, people were dropping a quarter into the vids at least once a minute on average. Pins were more like 5 minutes, and they had those pesky replays!

The replays existed on Galaga and Pac-Man hit were ridiculous! Totally unattainable.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside