(Topic ID: 94757)

Before I knew better...

By sixpakmopar

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_7604.jpg
    100_7603.jpg
    100_7602.jpg
    100_7599.jpg
    100_7600.jpg
    100_7601.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I bought a rebuilt Williams Sys 6-7 driver board on ebay. Seller has a mile long listing bragging on what is done. One thing I recall is stating all the known to be problem issues with this board have been repaired/replaced, board has been Calibrated (still to this day have no idea what that means). At that time I understood the 40 pin needed to be replaced, the 3 watt lamp resistors upgraded to 5 watt, and all the header pins reflowed at the least but replaced is better. I get it in the mail and first thing I see is some dorky looking installed lamp resistors, 40 pin NOT touched and I could see a bent terminal that I would be surprised if any contact could be made with it, also NOT one header pin reflowed. I stupidly sent it back to get the 40 pin replaced. Should have got a refund and went elsewhere. Has been working fine surprisingly till recently a pop bumper quite firing. I pulled it and swapped in a board rebuilt by a pinsider who does great work and the pop bumper is working again. I took a look and 75% of the header pin solder joints look terrible. I bench tested it and all checks out oddly enough. I am hoping that the bad solder connections to the pins is causing an ok connection on the bench but under game stress one is failing. Not sure what else to look for.
    Lesson learned, So if you are in need of board repair work start here on pinside, do not fear sending your boards to someone here for a quality repair job. I am not saying all pin repair people on ebay are bad but I know one for sure that is a rip-off who claims to be a repair tech.100_7599.jpg100_7599.jpg100_7600.jpg100_7600.jpg100_7601.jpg100_7601.jpg100_7602.jpg100_7602.jpg100_7603.jpg100_7603.jpg100_7604.jpg100_7604.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Sorry about the deal going sour. This is why I don't do ePay.

#3 9 years ago

It was a lesson learned. Amazing what some people on ebay think it is OK to get away with. Makes it tougher for us good online sellers to get a fair shake.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/before-i-knew-better and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.