(Topic ID: 291333)

Before I Do My 1st Cleaning, Are My Steps & Supplies Correct?

By jvivlemore

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flipper Trail (After) (resized).jpg
Flipper Trail (Before) (resized).jpg
Bumpers 2 (After) (resized).jpg
Bumpers 2 (Before) (resized).jpg
Bumpers 1 (After) (resized).jpg
Bumpers 1 (Before) (resized).jpg
$_57 (resized).JPG
imkkkages (resized).jpg
1bb58930023d0e17e7a0cf4d7b538c731e0b0cd5 (resized).jpg
6DC1FFB9-9865-4B0A-B8B0-3E76B4AF10A0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7947 (resized).jpg
IMG_7926 (resized).jpg
IMG_7932 (resized).jpg
IMG_7931 (resized).jpg
IMG_7934 (resized).jpg
IMG_7936 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvivlemore.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hello, I recently bought my first pinball, a Stern TWD Pro.

It needs a cleaning and I've read the long thread here and watched several YouTube videos and wanted to make sure the steps and supplies I have down are correct before I completely this thing and make a dirty problem a future repair job. Apologies in advance for being the noob. I'm still learning.

Supplies Needed:
Vacuum With Brush Attachment
Microfiber Towerls
NAPTHA
NOVUS 2

Step 1: Use a vacuum with a brush attachment to pickup any loose dirt or dust that's on the playfield.

Step 2: Put a very small amount of NAPTHA (not sure which to buy though?) on a microfiber towel and apply in circular motion to remove buildup on playfield.

Step 3: Put a very small amount of NOVUS 2 on a microfiber towel and apply in circular motion on playfield.

My Concerns:

NAPTHA - I'm not sure which to buy AND I have kids as young as 6. The pinball is in one end of our living area. I've read this stuff is pretty strong. Does it go away quickly? Say I apply it to the microfiber outside and then walk inside with it to keep the bottle outside (less fumes maybe?) Is there an alternative that would be safer by chance? I've read a lot of people use NOVUS 1 or even non ammonia glass cleaner for Step 1. Better/Worse than NAPTHA?

NOVUS 2 - I've read a lot of caution on using this since it's abrasive. If the NAPTHA is to clean the machine what purpose does this have? It's not a wax so what the heck is it actually doing?
IMG_7849 (resized).jpgIMG_7849 (resized).jpgIMG_7850 (resized).jpgIMG_7850 (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd skip the naptha ( lighter fluid ) and go with Novus 1 first.
Then a good hard carnauba wax like this : One or two coats.
https://www.jbtools.com/meguiars-m2611-hi-tech-yellow-wax-paste/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmcWDBhCOARIsALgJ2Qco712z38YjtxzjOBP-ABDYyotFMtQ1nCeDPNPY-sgOSnJjC9HupNYaAvTtEALw_wcB
You can find it at auto parts stores.
LTG : )

Asking this to you since you work for a pinball company. Wouldn’t NAPTHA be better since it’s not water based like others said above? I have no preference either way. Just curious to know you’re thinking on using NOVUS. Thanks!

#9 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies and additional information and explanations. It definitely seems to be split down the middle on NAPTHA vs NOVUS 1/2 that’s for sure! Why’s it gotta be so complicated haha? I wish there was just one “everyone does this” method and it’s the only one you should use.

#11 3 years ago

LTG Other than NAPTHA being flammable what other downsides are there for a beginner? The risk of fire here seems minimal unless I have an open flame nearby right or no?

Also, will NOVUS 1 be enough to get this machine clean based on the pictures if I go your suggested route of using that?

#14 3 years ago

LTG Thanks. NAPTHA would likely be more effective and safer for the play field then I assume? Then use wax after that or do you still do a NOVUS 1 or 2 after that?

#16 3 years ago

LTG Thanks! And Naptha is Naptha right so there isn’t a certain one I need to look for? Just whatever I can find at my hardware stores? Thanks for the wax recommendation above too!

#22 3 years ago

TheLaw Thanks. Here's what the playfield looks like. There are some spots (one is marked) where the edges of the "decal" or whatever it's technically called are pealing I did notice on further inspection. It looks like this entire piece is separate from the main playfield but I'm no expert? One of my ramps is slighty raised too I just noticed. The more I inspect the more depressed I get lol. Lots to do it looks like.

IMG_7926 (resized).jpgIMG_7926 (resized).jpgIMG_7931 (resized).jpgIMG_7931 (resized).jpgIMG_7932 (resized).jpgIMG_7932 (resized).jpgIMG_7933 (resized).jpgIMG_7933 (resized).jpgIMG_7934 (resized).jpgIMG_7934 (resized).jpgIMG_7936 (resized).jpgIMG_7936 (resized).jpg
#25 3 years ago

LTG - Ahhh so that's what Mylar is. Good to know! Glad to hear it's not the playfield itself. I may hire someone to replace that for me before it gets worse.

I'll definitely tackle the ramp now though. Sadly, I have to wait on the cleaning. The NOVUS won't come from Amazon until tomorrow and I'll need to pickup some naptha from the store tomorrow as well. The only thing I have is microfiber towels and regular household and automotive cleaners right now.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The ramp looks like its got a little chunk of plastic stuck under it?
Yeah mylar explains some of it, what thrbhecknis the round part by the pop bumper? More dirt that worked its way under the mylar?!

Ramp did have a little buildup of some sort under it which I vacuumed out. I didn't look closely enough to know what it was though.

As for the “round part by the pop bumper” do you mean the black area I circled in one of the pictures above? I thought it was just part of the graphic on the PF. That said, it doesn't flow with the rest of the graphic and without peeling it back more can't tell if anything is underneath causing that discoloration. I’ll need tweezers or something (tooth brush maybe?) to reach that area. It might be dirt for sure though. Good call. I’ll look up more images of the play field and see if that spot is on anyone else’s in the meantime.

#30 3 years ago

Thanks @thelaw. I didn’t know you owned one. Very helpful. I appreciate it.

#32 3 years ago

Update: NOVUS arrived today.

I just need to grab some new microfiber towels (I don't trust my used ones) and a thing of NAPTHA from Home Depot.

IMG_7947 (resized).jpgIMG_7947 (resized).jpg
#34 3 years ago

TheLaw Is it the exact same thing though? I'd rather spend less too so I love this idea if the product/result is the same.

How come everyone says Naptha instead of Lighter Fluid if it's the same thing? To your point lighter fluid comes in much smaller bottles.

#47 3 years ago

Here's my post NOVUS 1/2 update. Definitely removed the dirt in the pop bumper area and some other areas. Before/After Pictures Below.

How do I remove these stubborn ball trails that are hazy though? Both NOVUS 1/2 didn't seem to do much at all on them. Assuming NAPTHA and/or NOVUS 2 wouldn't do much for them either correct? I see this on all of the ramps as well but I think the fix there is a flame polish from what I've read?

Before:
Bumpers 1 (Before) (resized).jpgBumpers 1 (Before) (resized).jpg

After:
Bumpers 1 (After) (resized).jpgBumpers 1 (After) (resized).jpg

Before:
Bumpers 2 (Before) (resized).jpgBumpers 2 (Before) (resized).jpg

After:
Bumpers 2 (After) (resized).jpgBumpers 2 (After) (resized).jpg

Before:
Flipper Trail (Before) (resized).jpgFlipper Trail (Before) (resized).jpg

After:
Flipper Trail (After) (resized).jpgFlipper Trail (After) (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 16.00
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvivlemore.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/before-i-do-my-1st-cleaning-are-my-steps-amp-supplies-correct?tu=jvivlemore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.