(Topic ID: 291333)

Before I Do My 1st Cleaning, Are My Steps & Supplies Correct?

By jvivlemore

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flipper Trail (After) (resized).jpg
Flipper Trail (Before) (resized).jpg
Bumpers 2 (After) (resized).jpg
Bumpers 2 (Before) (resized).jpg
Bumpers 1 (After) (resized).jpg
Bumpers 1 (Before) (resized).jpg
$_57 (resized).JPG
imkkkages (resized).jpg
1bb58930023d0e17e7a0cf4d7b538c731e0b0cd5 (resized).jpg
6DC1FFB9-9865-4B0A-B8B0-3E76B4AF10A0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7947 (resized).jpg
IMG_7926 (resized).jpg
IMG_7932 (resized).jpg
IMG_7931 (resized).jpg
IMG_7934 (resized).jpg
IMG_7936 (resized).jpg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Hello, I recently bought my first pinball, a Stern TWD Pro.

It needs a cleaning and I've read the long thread here and watched several YouTube videos and wanted to make sure the steps and supplies I have down are correct before I completely this thing and make a dirty problem a future repair job. Apologies in advance for being the noob. I'm still learning.

Supplies Needed:
Vacuum With Brush Attachment
Microfiber Towerls
NAPTHA
NOVUS 2

Step 1: Use a vacuum with a brush attachment to pickup any loose dirt or dust that's on the playfield.

Step 2: Put a very small amount of NAPTHA (not sure which to buy though?) on a microfiber towel and apply in circular motion to remove buildup on playfield.

Step 3: Put a very small amount of NOVUS 2 on a microfiber towel and apply in circular motion on playfield.

My Concerns:

NAPTHA - I'm not sure which to buy AND I have kids as young as 6. The pinball is in one end of our living area. I've read this stuff is pretty strong. Does it go away quickly? Say I apply it to the microfiber outside and then walk inside with it to keep the bottle outside (less fumes maybe?) Is there an alternative that would be safer by chance? I've read a lot of people use NOVUS 1 or even non ammonia glass cleaner for Step 1. Better/Worse than NAPTHA?

NOVUS 2 - I've read a lot of caution on using this since it's abrasive. If the NAPTHA is to clean the machine what purpose does this have? It's not a wax so what the heck is it actually doing?
IMG_7849 (resized).jpgIMG_7849 (resized).jpgIMG_7850 (resized).jpgIMG_7850 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

I'd skip the naptha ( lighter fluid ) and go with Novus 1 first.

Then a good hard carnauba wax like this : One or two coats.

https://www.jbtools.com/meguiars-m2611-hi-tech-yellow-wax-paste/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmcWDBhCOARIsALgJ2Qco712z38YjtxzjOBP-ABDYyotFMtQ1nCeDPNPY-sgOSnJjC9HupNYaAvTtEALw_wcB

You can find it at auto parts stores.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Controversial opinion, but I don’t put Novus on a play field - only on plastics and ramps. It’s liquid sandpaper and with repeated use over time, it will remove the protective varnish, leading to wear spots.

VM&P Naphtha is alcohol-based and evaporates quickly, but the fumes tend to linger. Use a respirator in a well-ventilated area away from open flames. Or you can use a de-greasing water-based cleaner and wipe immediately.

I also recommend finishing with Carnuba paste wax before re-assembling the play field. Apply a coat, let it set for an hour, wipe away with a clean rag and buff with a microfiber cloth.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

NOVUS 2 - I've read a lot of caution on using this since it's abrasive... It's not a wax so what the heck is it actually doing?

It's for deep cleaning places like you are showing, area with ground in dirt trails.
It is abrasive, so if you used it everyday it might be bad for the PF but its nothing to worry aboot. If you can get those trails out with just naphtha, then you won't need novus. It's lighter fluid, don't let yiur kids drink it and they'll be fine

I personally would never put glass cleaner on a PF.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

https://www.jbtools.com/meguiars-m2611-hi-tech-yellow-wax-paste/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmcWDBhCOARIsALgJ2Qco712z38YjtxzjOBP-ABDYyotFMtQ1nCeDPNPY-sgOSnJjC9HupNYaAvTtEALw_wcB

I agree. Novus 1 is probably the only cleaner you need then Carnuba wax. Nocus 2 and 3 start getting abrasive.

#6 3 years ago

Agree that Novus 1 is all you need. Spray it directly onto a microfibre towel and just go to town. It works on playfield, plastics, and rubbers. Carnauba wax and a new set of balls and you’re good to go.

#7 3 years ago

Since Naptha isn’t water-based it’s safer for playfields. You don’t want water to interact with wood. I use Naptha for when there’s noticeable dust and dirt on a playfield.

Think of it like wiping dusty things down with a wet wipe.

Novus is an abrasive cleaner, so use it as such. I personally use Novus 1 and it’s so gentle it almost doesn’t clean anything.

Realistically you aren’t gonna be wiping this game down enough to do damage. Unless you clean it every day or something you should be fine. Normally it’s every 6 to 12 months, or whenever you notice it’s dirty. After you finish the PITA that cleaning a game is, trust me, you will want to wait as long as possible to do it again!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Asking this to you since you work for a pinball company. Wouldn’t NAPTHA be better since it’s not water based like others said above? I have no preference either way. Just curious to know you’re thinking on using NOVUS. Thanks!

#9 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies and additional information and explanations. It definitely seems to be split down the middle on NAPTHA vs NOVUS 1/2 that’s for sure! Why’s it gotta be so complicated haha? I wish there was just one “everyone does this” method and it’s the only one you should use.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

Wouldn’t NAPTHA be better since it’s not water based like others said above?

Yes. Since the OP is new to pinball. I'm not in a hurry to send someone into a game with something flammable.

He can learn as he goes and improve methods.

#11 3 years ago

LTG Other than NAPTHA being flammable what other downsides are there for a beginner? The risk of fire here seems minimal unless I have an open flame nearby right or no?

Also, will NOVUS 1 be enough to get this machine clean based on the pictures if I go your suggested route of using that?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

I wish there was just one “everyone does this” method and it’s the only one you should use.

It's a learning experience. You'll be learning your entire life as you grow in pinball. I've been cleaning playfields for 60+ years and I'm still learning.

And what works great for one person, may not for others.

You'll learn what works best for you.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

The risk of fire here seems minimal unless I have an open flame nearby right or no?

You should be fine with it. Just a little careful. Like don't have the machine turned on when using it.

Quoted from jvivlemore:

Also, will NOVUS 1 be enough to get this machine clean based on the pictures if I go your suggested route of using that?

You'll find that out when you try it. It should work.

#14 3 years ago

LTG Thanks. NAPTHA would likely be more effective and safer for the play field then I assume? Then use wax after that or do you still do a NOVUS 1 or 2 after that?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

NAPTHA would likely be more effective and safer for the play field then I assume? Then use wax after that or do you still do a NOVUS 1 or 2 after that?

Start with Naptha. If it doesn't do the job then move onto Novus 1. That should do it. If not then Novus 2, once. Once your playfield is clean and you keep it up. Naptha should be enough, if not Novus 1. You'll likely never need Novus 2 again in a home setting. ( until your next pin )

#16 3 years ago

LTG Thanks! And Naptha is Naptha right so there isn’t a certain one I need to look for? Just whatever I can find at my hardware stores? Thanks for the wax recommendation above too!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

And Naptha is Naptha right

Yes. Lighter fluid. Hardware store might not have it. Cigar stores will.

#18 3 years ago

Naphtha should be necessary for light cleaning on a new machine. Once a machine is clean it only takes small efforts to keep it clean. I just start with Novus 1 and clean whole playfield with the microfiber cloth. If there is any dirt left, and if so it’s usually only in the highest traffic areas, then I use the smallest amount of Novus 2 (like a few drops) and it comes right up with the cloth. Then a light wax if you want to but that’s also not strictly needed if you keep it clean. Finally I will clean the black dust off rubbers with a damp cloth, rubbing alcohol or wildcat rubber cleaner if really dirty.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Naphtha should be necessary for light cleaning on a new machine. Once a machine is clean it only takes small efforts to keep it clean. I just start with Novus 1 and clean whole playfield with the microfiber cloth. If there is any dirt left, and if so it’s usually only in the highest traffic areas, then I use the smallest amount of Novus 2 only on those areas (like a few drops) and it comes right up with the cloth. Then a light wax if you want to but that’s also not strictly needed if you keep it clean. Finally I will clean the black dust off rubbers with a damp cloth, rubbing alcohol or wildcat rubber cleaner if really dirty.

#20 3 years ago

Naphtha cleans the rubbers good too.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

Why’s it gotta be so complicated haha? I wish there was just one “everyone does this” method and it’s the only one you should use.

Honestly it isn;t complicated at all; you're way over thinking it.

You're going to need Novus 1, 2, & lighter fluid anyway, so just buy them all.

I understand this is your first time so you're trying to be very careful and that's cool, but we are basically spending all day explaining how to put air in you bicycle tire

Here's the truth, using any of these for your first cleaning is going to have 0%* chance of harming ANYTHING.
If you're worried, just use the least potent item first and work your way up. If you are able to get out those filthy dirt trails with novus 1, then by all means use it.
If it doesn't worth, naphtha, if not than novus 2.

*the only issue you really have to worry aboot is SERIOUS PF damage. And unless there's an optical delusion, is this a 'tear' in the playfield? Casue that might change some things.

wtf (resized).jpgwtf (resized).jpg

#22 3 years ago

TheLaw Thanks. Here's what the playfield looks like. There are some spots (one is marked) where the edges of the "decal" or whatever it's technically called are pealing I did notice on further inspection. It looks like this entire piece is separate from the main playfield but I'm no expert? One of my ramps is slighty raised too I just noticed. The more I inspect the more depressed I get lol. Lots to do it looks like.

IMG_7926 (resized).jpgIMG_7926 (resized).jpgIMG_7931 (resized).jpgIMG_7931 (resized).jpgIMG_7932 (resized).jpgIMG_7932 (resized).jpgIMG_7933 (resized).jpgIMG_7933 (resized).jpgIMG_7934 (resized).jpgIMG_7934 (resized).jpgIMG_7936 (resized).jpgIMG_7936 (resized).jpg
#23 3 years ago

Mylar. To protect playfield. Can be removed or replaced. Don't do that until you learn a lot. It's best to freeze it and pop off and then clean up glue left behind.

Quoted from jvivlemore:

One of my ramps is slighty raised too I just noticed.

Remove screws, lift ramp up, bend flap back down a little.

Quoted from jvivlemore:

The more I inspect the more depressed I get

No reason to feel bad. A good cleaning and you'll be proud of your machine.

Now quit posting and get to work. You'll be glad you did.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

Naphtha cleans the rubbers good too.

Rubbing alch also does great on rubbers and less smelly

#25 3 years ago

LTG - Ahhh so that's what Mylar is. Good to know! Glad to hear it's not the playfield itself. I may hire someone to replace that for me before it gets worse.

I'll definitely tackle the ramp now though. Sadly, I have to wait on the cleaning. The NOVUS won't come from Amazon until tomorrow and I'll need to pickup some naptha from the store tomorrow as well. The only thing I have is microfiber towels and regular household and automotive cleaners right now.

#26 3 years ago

The ramp looks like its got a little chunk of plastic stuck under it?

Yeah mylar explains some of it, what the heck is the round part by the pop bumper? More dirt that worked its way under the mylar?!

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The ramp looks like its got a little chunk of plastic stuck under it?
Yeah mylar explains some of it, what thrbhecknis the round part by the pop bumper? More dirt that worked its way under the mylar?!

Ramp did have a little buildup of some sort under it which I vacuumed out. I didn't look closely enough to know what it was though.

As for the “round part by the pop bumper” do you mean the black area I circled in one of the pictures above? I thought it was just part of the graphic on the PF. That said, it doesn't flow with the rest of the graphic and without peeling it back more can't tell if anything is underneath causing that discoloration. I’ll need tweezers or something (tooth brush maybe?) to reach that area. It might be dirt for sure though. Good call. I’ll look up more images of the play field and see if that spot is on anyone else’s in the meantime.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

what the heck is the round part by the pop bumper? More dirt that worked its way under the mylar?!

Yes.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

I’ll look up more images of the play field and see if that spot is on anyone else’s in the meantime.

Not on mine

#30 3 years ago

Thanks @thelaw. I didn’t know you owned one. Very helpful. I appreciate it.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.

Ah yes I see it now. Very confusing.

#32 3 years ago

Update: NOVUS arrived today.

I just need to grab some new microfiber towels (I don't trust my used ones) and a thing of NAPTHA from Home Depot.

IMG_7947 (resized).jpgIMG_7947 (resized).jpg
#33 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

Update: NOVUS arrived today.
I just need to grab some new microfiber towels (I don't trust my used ones) and a thing of NAPTHA from Home Depot.
[quoted image]

You should really just buy a small thing of lighter fluid form a store...unless you feel like you need a gallon jug (you don't)

#34 3 years ago

TheLaw Is it the exact same thing though? I'd rather spend less too so I love this idea if the product/result is the same.

How come everyone says Naptha instead of Lighter Fluid if it's the same thing? To your point lighter fluid comes in much smaller bottles.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

TheLaw Is it the exact same thing though?

Yes.

Quoted from jvivlemore:

How come everyone says Naptha instead of Lighter Fluid if it's the same thing?

They can't spell one or the other.

Google lighter fluid contents.

#36 3 years ago

Buy this

6DC1FFB9-9865-4B0A-B8B0-3E76B4AF10A0 (resized).jpeg6DC1FFB9-9865-4B0A-B8B0-3E76B4AF10A0 (resized).jpeg
#37 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

How come everyone says Naptha instead of Lighter Fluid if it's the same thing?

Because most lighter fluids (like Ronsonol) no longer contain Naphtha

I've read that 2017 was the cut off point, because Zippo bought Ronsonol a few years prior.

My old cans of Ronsonol still say "Contains Naphtha", but I've been refilling them for years...

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Because most lighter fluids (like Ronsonol) no longer contain Naphtha

Did not know that. Thanks vid1900 !

I don't use it, so never kept track of it.

#39 3 years ago

It looks like even a decade ago, Ronsonol was only 30% Naphtha

1bb58930023d0e17e7a0cf4d7b538c731e0b0cd5 (resized).jpg1bb58930023d0e17e7a0cf4d7b538c731e0b0cd5 (resized).jpg
#40 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did not know that. Thanks vid1900 !
I don't use it, so never kept track of it.

Everything sucks now.

Ronsonol - changed their formula

Simple Green - changed to weaker formula

Bix - is now the worst paint stripper, you used to scrape it all up and put it back in the can for reuse.

Maker's Mark - watered down their whiskey (although after much outcry, have restored it to 90 proof)

imkkkages (resized).jpgimkkkages (resized).jpg
#41 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Maker's Mark - watered down their whiskey (although after much outcry, have restored it to 90 proof)

Thankfully they restored it. Great for mint juleps.

#42 3 years ago

Happened a decade ago, and the new stuff has been cleaning just as well the entire time.
Naphtha is not a "thing" anyway. They don;t mine naphtha out of the ground and put it in a bottle

Rabbit hole.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Happened a decade ago, and the new stuff has been cleaning just as well the entire time.
Naphtha is not a "thing" anyway. They don;t mine naphtha out of the ground and put it in a bottle
Rabbit hole.

Hardly.

If I'm cleaning a $$$$ playfield, I'm not going to risk cleaning "just as well" with some mystery petroleum product.

Same thing happened when everyone was cleaning their CDs with ArmorAll and when they changed the AA formula, it caused them to become cloudy.

Or when everyone was cleaning their rubber tape rollers with Formula 409 (dating myself here). 409 secretly changed their formula and it pitted everyone's rollers (very expensive mistake on a 2" tape roller!).

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hardly.
If I'm cleaning a $$$$ playfield,...

Rabbit hole, that's not we're talking aboot here.

If you're wiping down a PF for CC and all that, you aren't using a 6oz bottle of Ronsonol. This "mystery formula" has been used by people for a long time and seems to be fine. I'm sure he'll make it through some lite cleaning OK.

True, I usually use it more for for rubbers myself. Hey, another reason to go straight to Novus 2 in my book

#45 3 years ago

I mean really, we don't need to worry. Everyone is pretty sure Novus 1 will easily take all the filth off so the 'Mystery Petroleum Blend" won't be wildly used.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This "mystery formula" has been used by people for a long time and seems to be fine.

Just like the 409, they are not going to tell you when the formula changes (why not call it "Formula 410"?)

Someone might use it for a decade with good results, then suddenly, your Nakamichi Dragon needs a $400 service call.

$_57 (resized).JPG$_57 (resized).JPG
#47 3 years ago

Here's my post NOVUS 1/2 update. Definitely removed the dirt in the pop bumper area and some other areas. Before/After Pictures Below.

How do I remove these stubborn ball trails that are hazy though? Both NOVUS 1/2 didn't seem to do much at all on them. Assuming NAPTHA and/or NOVUS 2 wouldn't do much for them either correct? I see this on all of the ramps as well but I think the fix there is a flame polish from what I've read?

Before:
Bumpers 1 (Before) (resized).jpgBumpers 1 (Before) (resized).jpg

After:
Bumpers 1 (After) (resized).jpgBumpers 1 (After) (resized).jpg

Before:
Bumpers 2 (Before) (resized).jpgBumpers 2 (Before) (resized).jpg

After:
Bumpers 2 (After) (resized).jpgBumpers 2 (After) (resized).jpg

Before:
Flipper Trail (Before) (resized).jpgFlipper Trail (Before) (resized).jpg

After:
Flipper Trail (After) (resized).jpgFlipper Trail (After) (resized).jpg

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Everything sucks now.
Ronsonol - changed their formula
Simple Green - changed to weaker formula
Bix - is now the worst paint stripper, you used to scrape it all up and put it back in the can for reuse.
Maker's Mark - watered down their whiskey (although after much outcry, have restored it to 90 proof) [quoted image]

You left out Lava Lamp.

#49 3 years ago

jvivlemore don't try flame polish on a nice ramp like that before practicing on junk ramps. You'll likely ruin it. I have used Nova 3, then 2, then 1 on the plastics with good results, but never really worried about bringing back to factory finish.

#50 3 years ago

Flame polish you gotta have all the ramps removed...its easy but i would advise against it for the first cleaning. Leave that for when you're more seasoned...like removing the mylar.

What? Novus 1 didn't take out the ingrained ball trails?!?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.95
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/before-i-do-my-1st-cleaning-are-my-steps-amp-supplies-correct?hl=eagle18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.