(Topic ID: 230367)

Beer, recent trends, and other crap we put in our mouths...

By Bublehead

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

beer (resized).jpg
    beer-530596_5eb87_hd (resized).jpeg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Ok, so I have got a selection of about 20 boutique micro brew beers that my sister in law gave me for xmas... I have opened and tasted 4 of them, and I have to say, the trend towards spiced beers, especially the winter and xmas brews, tends to make me turn the bottle up in the sink drain and let it go where it belongs WITHOUT going through my gut first.

Anyone else think the added “taste” enhancements these days tend to suck? And don’t get me started on the IPA trend... I thought we were fighting “bitter beer face” not embracing it. Now there will be those who say gee, BH, you must like Bud light and Miller Lite, and those other crappy canoe beers out there and I would say fuck that, what ever happened to good ales, porters, and stouts?

Sam Smith’s Outmeal Stout is a beer I could drink forever, but a man needs a Guinness once and a while.

Anyone else on here like chocolatety, malty, starts sweet, ends bitter, but with nice dark beer overtones brews? Because you can take all your IPAs and pour em down the proverbial sink as far as I am concerned, along with ginger, cinnamon, this root and that herb additives that ruin most winter beers.

Just my two cents...
    BH

#2 5 years ago

Just because it's Thanksgiving does not mean your beer should taste anything like pumpkin pie.

That's all.

#3 5 years ago

Its difficult to shop for beer anymore. I don't know what I'm buying based on flavor -- its all about which one has a creative name or best picture of a dog, dragon, or other magical creature.

I usually end up going back to a Corona or Bourbon.

#4 5 years ago

Adding crappy flavors/spices is nothing new or "these days," shit's been going on for decades (probably longer).

The entire "micro brew" shit has just gone so goddamn far people are basically lining up to throw a ton of cash at bathtub gin. Ohhhhh this beer comes in a brandy snifter; how exotic.

Miller Lite still does a fine job.

#5 5 years ago

I don't have a problem adding a squeeze of lime to my favorite beer. Hey, this used to be Mexico anyway.
    download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't have a problem adding a squeeze of lime to my favorite beer. Hey, this used to be Mexico anyway.[quoted image]

Add it to Miller Lite all the time.

Wish I was still young enough to drink Black Label

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Wish I was still young enough to drink Black Label

Never too old if you don't mind pickled liver.

#8 5 years ago

I have this Cider Donut Hard cider... I’m thinking, this might be ok, right? It’s a hard cider for chistsake... I look at the can after the first sip... “blended with brown sugar and spices”. Sweet Jesus this shit is the worst... tastes like someone shoved a chocolate chip cookie up an apples ass and squoze the shit out of it, let the sad juice ferment in a toilet, then canned it in a pint can... Artisan is not a word to be used with beer... beer should be brewed to drink a lot of, not sip it like a fine whiskey. Porters drank a lot of beer when they worked, it’s why we call them porters... one does not drink fru fru beer while doing a back breaking job like playing pinball. Someone pass me a Guinness please...

#9 5 years ago

As far as seasonal beers go, I'm not a fan of "spiced" beers. The "winter warmer" genre of beers (generally strong, dark beers, but usually without the nutmeg or whatever thrown in) can be tasty though, you might give some of those a try if you like dark, malty beers and don't mind a bit more alcohol.

As for IPAs, well made ones can be excellent, the crap ones are crap, same as with any other style. No worries if you don't like bitter beer though, that's why they make different kinds of beers. Sounds like you might prefer British Pale Ales and IPAs, which are generally less hoppy/bitter (and more traditional) than US varieties.

I'm not crazy about Bud Lite etc. as far as taste goes (when "lite" beer was introduced in the mid-70s, the brewers generally hated making it and didn't consider it to be beer because of the taste). But it certainly has its place: it's dirt cheap, you can drink a ton of it without feeling full, and the combo of super-light body and super-high carbonation makes it feel more refreshing than a traditional beer on a hot day.

Guinness is also good if you aim to drink a lot -- low alcohol and therefore low calorie and not too filing, despite the color.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't have a problem adding a squeeze of lime to my favorite beer. Hey, this used to be Mexico anyway

OMG NO! This ruins beer. This was a practice that started in Mexico to keep flies out of your beer.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

... I’m thinking, this might be ok, right? It’s a hard cider for chistsake...

God damn dude I'm starting to think you're the problem now Cider varies a ton and can be just as putrid as any beer followed by "cranberry."
    Woodpecker being ground zero of shit

WE ha d anew "micro brewery" open up near me recently. Met some frincds up there to kill a few hours and holy christ they were all horrible. I didn't know "dirty lemon dishwater" was a flavoring these days but I was wrong in that one.

#12 5 years ago

Sam Adams makes the best Winter Ale and it is superb when fresh. The problem with micros these days is that they don’t throw out mistake batches. Nor do they brew to style (ie, the correct starting and ending specific gravity). Nor do they add an appropriate hop variety or level of hops to the style. IPAs are terrible these days. Just add a bunch of hops to a shitty Ale and you’ve got your typical IPA. No balance of hops to body. They do this because it’s cheaper to make a lower gravity beer and hop the shit out of it and call it an IPA.

#13 5 years ago

@thelaw, If you read my first post, you would know these were “gifts” given to me for xmas, not something I bought myself... don’t open your mouth without reading a little bit first, how about it? Do you think I buy fru fru beer on purpose?!?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

Sam Adams makes the best Winter Ale and it is superb when fresh. The problem with micros these days is that they don’t throw out mistake batches. Nor do they brew to style (ie, the correct starting and ending specific gravity). Nor do they add an appropriate hop variety or level of hops to the style. IPAs are terrible these days. Just add a bunch of hops to a shitty Ale and you’ve got your typical IPA. No balance of hops to body. They do this because it’s cheaper to make a lower gravity beer and hop the shit out of it and call it an IPA.

True for many micro breweries, but not all. They're essentially like restaurants, most of them will produce edible/drinkable stuff but aren't going to be very good, and few will be great. If you want to find great local beers you're going to have to drink some dreck along the way.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

thelaw, If you read my first post, you would know these were “gifts” given to me for xmas, not something I bought myself... don’t open your mouth without reading a little bit first, how about it? Do you think I buy fru fru beer on purpose?!?

Oh I'm well aware and read all of it. If you read my post, you're the problem for thinking because it's a cider it must not be that bad (with a quote and everything)

But trust me I know...I've been stuck with those assortments as well.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

OMG NO! This ruins beer. This was a practice that started in Mexico to keep flies out of your beer.

It was also a practice of pirates to eat limes at sea so they wouldn't get scurvy, matey.

#17 5 years ago

@thelaw, ahhh... my mistake, now I get you. No I do not like green eggs and ham... but I am used to hard cider from the UK... where it was... well, cider, and hard. Not “spiced donut flavored” (even the thought brings back the wretch from my first sip of this swill)

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

... but I am used to hard cider from the UK... where it was... well, cider, and hard ...

Yeah I'm fan of the dry stuff for sure...but even the sweet is usually good of course. Shit...pear is some of the best...but fucking spiced donut I mean...wtf is a spiced donut anyway? Or do they just mean cinnamon?

#19 5 years ago

For me, it depends on my mood, the season, the food, and the occasion. I drink a different style beer after mowing the lawn ( Bud Light or pale ale) versus dining on filet in December ( copper lager or porter) An Elysian Pumpkin / Coffee Ale was a perfect choice in place of dessert last night. All depends! That’s what is great about having so many beer styles... something for everyone... every time .

#20 5 years ago

Bear and Skiff 1911 Established Cider Donut, Premium Small Batch Hard Cider... made in NY by an apple farm.

Pictures on can show a spiced donut.

Avoid at all costs....

#21 5 years ago

Im not huge on IPA's, probably because I burnt out on them way before they were trendy, (lots of Redhook out here in WA) but as of late I found a new love for IPA with Giant Pacific Octopus from Narrows Brewing Co. Very well balanced, not overly bitter, not too watered down, just perfect. I highly recommend giving it a try.

beer-530596_5eb87_hd (resized).jpegbeer-530596_5eb87_hd (resized).jpeg
    #22 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I usually end up going back to a Corona or Bourbon.

I heard that Corona Premier was as good as extra, IF that is the case...I'm in. 2.6g of carbs and 90 calories. I drink enough beer to care, now that I'm older.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I heard that Corona Premier was as good as extra, IF that is the case...I'm in. 2.6g of carbs and 90 calories. I drink enough beer to care, now that I'm older.

I have had it, drank it for a bit. Its comparable but not as good. Still a nice substitute for Corona Extra if your counting calories.

#24 5 years ago

I'll give it a try myself. Problem with the under 3 carb beers is I haven't found a really good one....Although there are some I haven't got to. At some point the .6 extra to move up to Miller is worth it.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

I have had it, drank it for a bit. Its comparable but not as good. Still a nice substitute for Corona Extra if your counting calories.

Thanks. Plan on buying tomorrow. Got to be better then Bud/Miller lites?. I'm guessing this is their answer to Michelob ultra, which is pretty good for a low low carb beer imo

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll give it a try myself. Problem with the under 3 carb beers is I haven't found a really good one....Although there are some I haven't got to. At some point the .6 extra to move up to Miller is worth it.

*Update* Tried it. IMO WolfManCat is spot on...and I do like it better then Miller/Bud lites (more of that Corona flavor ). So, I now have another beer in the arsenal.

beer (resized).jpgbeer (resized).jpg
    #27 5 years ago

Ah thanks for the reminder!

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

*Update* Tried it. IMO WolfManCat is spot on...and I do like it better then Miller/Bud lites (more of that Corona flavor ). So, I now have another beer in the arsenal.
    [quoted image]

Glad I could help. I love beer.

#29 5 years ago

Got a few pints of Sam Smith’s Oatmeal Stout... going to be a great date night...

#30 5 years ago

Some IPAs are very well done but they have been so bastardized lately that unless you are informed you could get an “IPA “ and have no idea what you are in for . The grapefruit and mango ones are horrible. If I were to get an IPA I prefer it to be more true to the style . The IPA trend is a bit out of hand but I do think it is better to have options instead of a few very large companies in the US making crappy American lagers .

#31 5 years ago

And also I agree With OP I prefer beers that are more malt forward , stouts , scotish ales , bocks and for something lighter kolsch . But to each their own , tastes differ

#32 5 years ago

Beer is water, barely, hops and yeast.

You put anything else in it, you're not making beer.

Germans got this right.

3 years later
    #33 2 years ago

There are only two "seasonal" beers that matter.
    Maibok (Heller Bock) and Oktoberfest (Marzen)
    Prost!

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pyromedic:

There are only two "seasonal" beers that matter.
    Maibok (Heller Bock) and Oktoberfest (Marzen)
    Prost!

Round here it's Bells Oberon

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beer-recent-trends-and-other-crap-we-put-in-our-mouths?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.