(Topic ID: 193811)

Beer -- Is there something wrong with my taste buds?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bowlingpin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“My feelings on Beer.”

• I prefer generic light beer as well 36 votes
      21%
    • Your tounge is stupid, IPAs and Micro brews are the best 50 votes
      29%
    • All beer is good 51 votes
      30%
    • All beer is bad 35 votes
      20%

(172 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3070 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170721_170155589 (resized).jpg
    Elsinore (resized).jpg
    repomanbeercan (resized).jpg
    Bottle collection (resized).jpg
    IMG_2540 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3219 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4029 (resized).JPG
    Hamm's 30 pack (resized).jpg
    IMG_1783 (resized).JPG
    Unibroue-Maudite-750-ml-Bottle_1 (resized).png
    IMG_0141 (resized).JPG
    2011-Face-750ml-Eau-Benite-revised (resized).png
    unibroue-la-fin-du-monde-750ml (resized).jpg
    trois pistoles (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tractordoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

In general, I like a cold, frosty beverage. Last number of years a cold beer at the end of the day hits the spot. In general I usually go for the mass produced generic light but I also try to mix things up a bit now and then with the micro brews/specialty beers. A coworker's relative works at a local brewing company and they are always bringing samples in -- for whatever reason I just cannot bring myself to enjoy them. I hear everyone rave about IPA's but I cannot make it past the first couple sips on most. Is it an acquired taste or am I just not sophisticated enough to enjoy such beers?
    I can handle a variety of wines but dont get into the sniffing the bouquet stuff. . .
    I like a good whiskey and have even dabbled in some home brew of various alcohols but I just dont have the palate for the fancier beers. Have I diluted my ability to taste greatness down for so long that I cannot appreciate the complexity of a small batch brew?
    Is there anyone else out there that has the same problem?

A little off the main subject, but sometimes I do not even know where to start when picking a new beer out -- pictures of dragons, angry looking dogs, or majestic scenery on the carton/bottle are all helpful selling points when it comes to catching the buyer's attention but dont give me a clue as to what I will be tasting. Thank goodness for places that allow me to mix and match. . .

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I don't mind the flavor but IPA beers seem to give me a headache.

I wonder if they are higher in fusel oils. . . from the days of making alcohol I remember higher contents of those would lead to the dreaded hangover.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

First thing on the list should always be
    Is it Canadian Beer

I never really was a beer drinker until I drove up thru Canada on my way to Alaska years ago. . . I believe it was Kokanee (spell?) that was acquired on the way thru Alberta, BC, and the Yukon that started it all. It may be Canada's beer giant like Budweiser is in the US for all I know but after a long day of hot driving, hiking, and camping those beers were like the god's nectar in the evening. Perhaps it was the extremes of the surroundings or the nostalgia that keep it in a positive light for me.
    I also really enjoyed a Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager from the Great Northern Brewing Company in Montana but just have not seemed to score with the local offerings.

I will be sure to keep tasting. I think I have more of a sweet tooth in general and bitter/sour stuff never really appealed to me (I do not know how people can eat a grapefruit, my lips pucker thinking about it). Just wanted to make sure I was not the only one that did not find the appeal of an IPA!

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

same goes for eggs that your chickens laid the morning you ate em

A complete 'nuther topic I suppose but it is a night and day difference from store eggs to eggs from our own chickens. I remember I sent a dozen over to my Grandma one time, she made one of her signature cheesecakes with them and I promptly received a call when it was done because my eggs "ruined" her cheesecake. The yolks were apparently much more rich/concentrated and turned the cheesecake yellow when it was traditionally an off white color. For the record I still ate the ruined cheesecake and it was delicious.

#148 6 years ago

"Oh, Im getting whiplash from my burps, eh?"

That pops into my head every time some air comes back up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tractordoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beer-is-there-something-wrong-with-my-taste-buds?tu=tractordoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.