(Topic ID: 193811)

Beer -- Is there something wrong with my taste buds?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bowlingpin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“My feelings on Beer.”

• I prefer generic light beer as well 36 votes
      21%
    • Your tounge is stupid, IPAs and Micro brews are the best 50 votes
      29%
    • All beer is good 51 votes
      30%
    • All beer is bad 35 votes
      20%

(172 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3070 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170721_170155589 (resized).jpg
    Elsinore (resized).jpg
    repomanbeercan (resized).jpg
    Bottle collection (resized).jpg
    IMG_2540 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3219 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4029 (resized).JPG
    Hamm's 30 pack (resized).jpg
    IMG_1783 (resized).JPG
    Unibroue-Maudite-750-ml-Bottle_1 (resized).png
    IMG_0141 (resized).JPG
    2011-Face-750ml-Eau-Benite-revised (resized).png
    unibroue-la-fin-du-monde-750ml (resized).jpg
    trois pistoles (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I don't mind the flavor but IPA beers seem to give me a headache.

Quoted from TractorDoc:

I wonder if they are higher in fusel oils. . . from the days of making alcohol I remember higher contents of those would lead to the dreaded hangover.

IPAs tend to range from 6.5-7.5% ABV. So if you're drinking them at the same rate you'd plow through 4.5% Bud Lites, that might help explain the hangover!

Quoted from TractorDoc:

In general I usually go for the mass produced generic light but I also try to mix things up a bit now and then with the micro brews/specialty beers. A coworker's relative works at a local brewing company and they are always bringing samples in -- for whatever reason I just cannot bring myself to enjoy them.

Nothing wrong with liking what you like. I'm not a big fan of light beers just because I find them over-carbonated and light on flavor, and many people that are into beer have a similar reaction -- take a tour at Coors and you'll probably hear how resistant the brewers were to making light beer at first, since they didn't consider it "real beer." I wouldn't lump Coors Banquet or Budweiser into that category -- I think they're good American Lagers and hold up well against craft beers in the same category. The negativity aimed at them probably reflects that they were pretty much all that was available in the US for a number of years, and that they're made by mega corporations (which have fallen out of favor in recent years).

Good on you for continuing to try new stuff. Luckily there's a huge variety of beer available now, and even if IPAs aren't your thing, you may find that you enjoy some of the hundreds of less hoppy craft beers out there: pilsners, stouts and wheat beers for example. And in the end if you still just prefer Bud Lite, well there's nothing wrong with that, you're a cheap date and you'll come out a bit slimmer than the rest of us (assuming you're not drinking 2x as much Bud Lite, or course)!

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

I would also add that a lot of craft beers are just produce terrible batches but a small brewer can't afford to throw out a bad batch. Nasty flavors are not supposed to be part of good beer. Cardboard flavor (too much oxygen got into the beer) band-aid flavor (phenols were created) etc.

As with most types of food and beverage, you can easily find mediocre or even bad craft beer, especially at the extremely local brewpub level. That said, if you're just starting out there are several dozen major "craft" breweries (New Belgium, Bells, Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, etc.) that simply don't make bad beer. You may not enjoy a particular style they offer, but you can be confident that they brewed it well and that it came out tasting exactly how they wanted it to taste.

Quoted from konjurer:

Larger brewers like Miller and Bud have incredible levels of consistency. Hard to do on a small scale.

Miller, Bud and Coors also have very skilled brewers who do an amazing job with consistency, especially since they have to make beer that tastes the same at different plants around the world working with the local water chemistry which will vary considerably and really does impact the end product. Anyone who knows anything about brewing would never disrespect those brewers.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

First thing on the list should always be
    Is it Canadian Beer

It's amazing how the beer selection in Canada has grown over the past 10-15 years. I have a good friend in Toronto and I remember hitting up the beer store with him in the early 2000s and it felt straight out of Strange Brew, pick your variety of Molsen and they roll it down the conveyor belt. Now the LCBO has an incredible variety of beers, and as I understand it they do a nice job of making room for newer and smaller breweries, not always the case in the US where InBev and SABMiller distributors often buy up most of the shelf space for their dozens of brands.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My issue is I'm going to drink 12-15 beers no matter what they are, pale ale or lite.

That IS an issue, especially if you're drinking IPAs at 6-7.5% ABV. I'd prescribe Coors Lite if you're shooting for 2+ six packs in a sitting. Nice low ABV, hydrating, and the high carbonation will fill you up (and hence slow you down a bit).

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

My taste buds are more heightened than others.

Says the guy with the Al Bundy avatar.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

From my more youthful days...

Nice work! I love that a bottle of Rolling Rock photo bombed you on the lower left.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Anybody remember the Preston Safeway black and white generic aisle? Shit just said BEER....lol.

As seen in Repo Man?

repomanbeercan (resized).jpgrepomanbeercan (resized).jpg

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

If you get a chance you should visit the New Glarus brewery. It's a castle on a hill. Reminds me of the brewery in Strange Brew

Elsinore! Cheers to a second Strange Brew reference in this thread.

Elsinore (resized).jpgElsinore (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beer-is-there-something-wrong-with-my-taste-buds?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.