(Topic ID: 193811)

Beer -- Is there something wrong with my taste buds?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bowlingpin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“My feelings on Beer.”

• I prefer generic light beer as well 36 votes
      21%
    • Your tounge is stupid, IPAs and Micro brews are the best 50 votes
      29%
    • All beer is good 51 votes
      30%
    • All beer is bad 35 votes
      20%

(172 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3070 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170721_170155589 (resized).jpg
    Elsinore (resized).jpg
    repomanbeercan (resized).jpg
    Bottle collection (resized).jpg
    IMG_2540 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3219 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4029 (resized).JPG
    Hamm's 30 pack (resized).jpg
    IMG_1783 (resized).JPG
    Unibroue-Maudite-750-ml-Bottle_1 (resized).png
    IMG_0141 (resized).JPG
    2011-Face-750ml-Eau-Benite-revised (resized).png
    unibroue-la-fin-du-monde-750ml (resized).jpg
    trois pistoles (resized).jpg
    There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

In general, I like a cold, frosty beverage. Last number of years a cold beer at the end of the day hits the spot. In general I usually go for the mass produced generic light but I also try to mix things up a bit now and then with the micro brews/specialty beers. A coworker's relative works at a local brewing company and they are always bringing samples in -- for whatever reason I just cannot bring myself to enjoy them. I hear everyone rave about IPA's but I cannot make it past the first couple sips on most. Is it an acquired taste or am I just not sophisticated enough to enjoy such beers?
    I can handle a variety of wines but dont get into the sniffing the bouquet stuff. . .
    I like a good whiskey and have even dabbled in some home brew of various alcohols but I just dont have the palate for the fancier beers. Have I diluted my ability to taste greatness down for so long that I cannot appreciate the complexity of a small batch brew?
    Is there anyone else out there that has the same problem?

A little off the main subject, but sometimes I do not even know where to start when picking a new beer out -- pictures of dragons, angry looking dogs, or majestic scenery on the carton/bottle are all helpful selling points when it comes to catching the buyer's attention but dont give me a clue as to what I will be tasting. Thank goodness for places that allow me to mix and match. . .

#2 6 years ago

IPAs can be very "hoppy". I've heard it's acquired taste. Like you, I find IPA, especially those made by craft shops, too bitter. I really, really don't like an over powering taste of hops in my beer.

I say drink what you like. If you don't like a beer full of hops avoid them and get the beers you enjoy. Like is too short to try and enjoy "free" beer that is crap. LOL!

#3 6 years ago

I think IPAs and similar are kind of an aquired taste, much like drinking strong black coffee with nothing in it. A lot of folks can handle mochas, lattes or cream and sugar but not so much the pure stuff. I became a "beer snob" after drinking many German beers that my father-in-law would bring home from business trips to Germany.

I do drink a few IPAs but they have to be REALLY strong. I enjoy Sixpoint's Resin, which tastes like a pine tree in a can. For something a little on the tropical side, Pineapple Sculpin by Ballast Point is also pretty darn good. Most of the other hundred IPAs taste pretty much the same to me, just bitter and boring.

My favorite right now is not an IPA: Fathead's Sorcerer Belgian style dark. It has flavors of dried fruit, raisins, figs, plums, spice cake - candy sugar sweetness.

#4 6 years ago

I like a good Blonde Ale and there are some that are not bitter at all but the IPAs in general are a bit too bitter for my taste. Most amber or blondes though can be really flavorful without that overpowering sensation of the IPA

#5 6 years ago

My uncle use to say regarding beer, at far has he was concerned "You can pour it all back in the horse"

I agree with him 100%.

If you need to "acquire" a taste for something, maybe you should go drink something else.

#6 6 years ago

I wish I could remember if IPAs were an acquired taste for me or not. But I'm a huge fan and I can't get enough. So while I can't settle the debate if it is acquired or not, I'll say this: drink what you like. If you aren't into IPAs, don't stress about it. Drink a beer that you enjoy and that's all that matters.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from wantdataeast:

If you need to "acquire" a taste for something, maybe you should go drink something else.

No doubt. If you don't like it when you first taste it, then why would you keep on drinking it?

#8 6 years ago

Agree. I drink regular old Coors, and like it. My brother drinks those snob beers, at $14 a friggin six pack. And they taste like crap.
    No thank you.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No doubt. If you don't like it when you first taste it, then why would you keep on drinking it?

for the buzz?

Brewmeister-Armageddon- (resized).jpgBrewmeister-Armageddon- (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

A little off the main subject, but sometimes I do not even know where to start when picking a new beer out -- pictures of dragons, angry looking dogs, or majestic scenery on the carton/bottle are all helpful selling points when it comes to catching the buyer's attention but dont give me a clue as to what I will be tasting.

Look for beers that have lower IBUs, either listed on the label or a quick Beeradvocate search.... High hopped beers push the overall bitterness way up. In general, beers tend to get more aggressive as the ABV rises so if you're used to pounding Coors Light maybe try new beers on the lower end. If IPAs aren't your thing you may want to explore the wonderful world of stouts and wheat beers.

#11 6 years ago

I don't like IPAs at all. About all I will drink these days are dark beers. I am at a point in life where I would rather not drink a beer than drink a beer that isn't good.

#12 6 years ago

A good IPA is not bitter or hoppy. I love IPAs...Deschutes has a distinct taste that I can't get enough of.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from drunkbaby:

Look for beers that have lower IBUs, either listed on the label or a quick Beeradvocate search.... High hopped beers push the overall bitterness way up. In general, beers tend to get more aggressive as the ABV rises so if you're used to pounding Coors Light maybe try new beers on the lower end. If IPAs aren't your thing you may want to explore the wonderful world of stouts and wheat beers.

Yes...I'm always checking the IBUs before buying.

#14 6 years ago

I don't mind the flavor but IPA beers seem to give me a headache.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I wonder if they are higher in fusel oils. . . from the days of making alcohol I remember higher contents of those would lead to the dreaded hangover.

#16 6 years ago

I like good old fashioned High Life, craft brews, porters, stouts...

IPAs taste like soap, though. Ugh.

#17 6 years ago

Good old Jack and Coke for me.

I do drink beer occasionally, usually Pacifico or an IPA, but I find it too filling to get the kind of buzz I want and it makes it hard to sleep when the time comes. A good Jack buzz and I'm out like a light and wake up feeling like a new man.

#18 6 years ago

People's power of taste varies. What may taste bitter to you may not to others.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-03/fyi-why-does-some-food-taste-bad-some-people-and-good-others

I don't like any beer, maybe my taste sense is to blame, or to thank.

#19 6 years ago

When I lived in Milwaukee, all I would drink was Miller products. Ever since I moved to Colorado I've gotten into craft beers. Some good ones to check out : Space Dust IPA (8.2% abv ), Little Yellow Pils (liquid freaking gold), Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA, Spotted Cow Cream Ale (don't know if you can get it outside of WI) I'll still drink a Coors light on occasion. My Ex is a total beer snob. I used to joke with her about coors light. When camping I used to say "Come on baby, when you have to drink 15 beers this is the one"

#20 6 years ago

Some beers do taste like crap! However, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", or taste buds and smell.

Try a "Dry Beer", Asahi Super Dry from Japan, comes to mind, less after taste.
    Beers from Holland and Belgium can have a lighter colour as well, but with still have enough of a flavour for your tongue.

When I was a kid once I asked my Dad why do you drink beer, he would say, he liked the taste. He would give me a sip, my usual response was, 'Yuck!'
    My Dad would have a few dozen bottles of beer around the house, for guests mostly. Molson's Canadian, Red Cap Ale, Black Label, Labatt's Fifty, Labatt's Blue, Molson's Export, Old Style Pilsner (Lethbridge). Those beers all taste quite different to me now.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I am at a point in life where I would rather not drink a beer than drink a beer that isn't good.

I agree. One of my newfound favorites is Zombie Dust from 3Floyds in Munster, IN. As I get older, I find I enjoy wine and distilled spirits more than I used to. A nice XO cognac is best of all.

#22 6 years ago

I like to mix it up..I have a beer fridge in the garage, and usually by a different case (12 pack) every week..I've tried many different beers this way..sometimes I go for old classics like pilsner or Canadian..old Milwaukee is fine too. If I had to pick a fave, it'd be the ass't Rickards-red is a great 1! But drink what makes u and your guests happy..cheers

#23 6 years ago

Chilling by the pool, I like a Leinkugel grapefruit summer shandy as a change of pace. My current favorite fancy beer is Fat Tire.

#24 6 years ago

I like California IPAs and Pale Ales. I think it is a bit of an acquired taste though. I don't drink them nearly as often as I used to because of the calories and the first drink is often a bit overpowering. After 2 or 3 though, I get the hang of it

I'm fortunate to have a Total Wine nearby so I've had many a microbrew. Often I get the impression more thought was put into the artwork on the label than the taste of the beer.

#25 6 years ago

definitely an acquired taste.

try some wheat beers, they are light and refreshing but have more flavor than like a bud light, which will taste like water after you've developed a taste for the craft beers.

took me awhile to like IPAs but I enjoy them now (obviously you can just slam a bunch of them like a light beer)

if you are looking to drink a whole bunch of beer at like a bbq, camping or some event, I wouldnt go with the craft stuff. Maybe one or two then go with the light beers.

When I play pinball at my local joint I have 1 "good" beer then switch to pbr haha

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

IPAs can be very "hoppy". I've heard it's acquired taste. Like you, I find IPA, especially those made by craft shops, too bitter. I really, really don't like an over powering taste of hops in my beer.
    I say drink what you like. If you don't like a beer full of hops avoid them and get the beers you enjoy. Like is too short to try and enjoy "free" beer that is crap. LOL!

No such thing as "too hoppy"!

I love me a good IPA. I'll drink some occasional really dark stuff but IPA's are my go-to. The bud-lights of the world I can't tolerate. That stinks as beers of that ilk are much cheaper.

#27 6 years ago

The new beer fad is out of control and way over rated I believe. They are making a shit ton of money on people though.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Chilling by the pool, I like a Leinkugel grapefruit summer shandy as a change of pace. My current favorite fancy beer is Fat Tire.

If you like New Belgium beers, give Voodoo Ranger a try. Basically same price, higher gravity and oh, so yummy!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

The new beer fad is out of control and way over rated I believe. They are making a shit ton of money on people though.

I'm at a point where I won't try one unless someone has recommended it or I trust the brewery. There is a lot of garbage out there. On a positive note, I used to have such a hard time finding Sierra Nevada. Now it's everywhere. My local Publix actually has a decent variety of microbrews. That's not a bad thing.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

Note to self, only purchase strong IPAs when Twilight is over for some pinball = more beer for me

#31 6 years ago

I tend to choose beer brands based on the occasion, time of year and if at mealtime; the food.
    There is nothing better than an ice cold Bud after a hot day of yard work or with pizza , burgers and ribs. If I'm just sitting outside watching the world go by; a 25 -70 IBU IPA is my "go to brew"... in the Fall an Octoberfest. Poolside favorite is Bud Light Lime.
    In the end drink what you want, experiment a little.... beer is a good part of the good life....

#32 6 years ago

IPAs are gross to me. Trendy craft beers they can't figure out how to make taste good so they just hop the crap out of it is my impression.

#33 6 years ago

Try a " sessionable IPA" at a lower IBU, say 15-25. Most domestic beers like Budweiser are about 7 IBU's

#34 6 years ago

80% of IPAs are crap. IPAs are suppose to be balanced. The more hoppiness (bitterness) the more body (sweetness) is required. Hops are cheap, grain (malty sweetness) is expensive. So called craft brewers just bitter the crap out of an ale and call it an IPA.

A good IPA will be heavier than a normal ale.

So forget the IPAs! The are a lot of great beer styles. I love an ESB (extra special bitter) which isn't very heavy or bitter! I love Sam Adams Lager and Ale. Either are super tasty with complex flavors that are delicious but not over-powering!

#35 6 years ago

I would also add that a lot of craft beers are just produce terrible batches but a small brewer can't afford to throw out a bad batch. Nasty flavors are not supposed to be part of good beer. Cardboard flavor (too much oxygen got into the beer) band-aid flavor (phenols were created) etc.

Larger brewers like Miller and Bud have incredible levels of consistency. Hard to do on a small scale.

#36 6 years ago

I would recommend trying Pinball Juicy Hop Pale Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company out of Warrenville, IL. It's an American Pale Ale and they add the hops after the boil so it doesnt taste extremely hoppy. A couple of my buddies arent into IPAs but they do enjoy this brew. It launched in February and it's been very popular!

#37 6 years ago

I think the nastiest beer I ever tried had a buttery taste. Awful!

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

I have to giggle at the notion of this being a beer fad. No the American Pilsner (such as Bud) was a fad that started after WWII that lasted far too long. Beer was a local brewery thing with thousands of style before prohibition killed off the local breweries.

This new fad (rebirth) began in the late 80s.

#39 6 years ago

I'm not a fan of IPA's, I prefer Wheat/Whit beers. My wife is exactly the opposite.

Current favorite is Florida Cracker from Cigar City brewing. She prefers their Jai Lai.

Enjoy!

#40 6 years ago

Try any IPA by Tree House and tell me if you still don't like IPA's.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I think the nastiest beer I ever tried had a buttery taste. Awful!

I think buttery taste is diacytal. Caused by a runaway bacteria in the fermentation process. Again, brewer makes a bad batch and doesn't dump it out.

#42 6 years ago

Wit (white) beers are a great summer beer. I love Blue Moon. Have the server not put in an orange slice though.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Quoted from TractorDoc:

I wonder if they are higher in fusel oils. . . from the days of making alcohol I remember higher contents of those would lead to the dreaded hangover.

IPAs tend to range from 6.5-7.5% ABV. So if you're drinking them at the same rate you'd plow through 4.5% Bud Lites, that might help explain the hangover!

Quoted from TractorDoc:

In general I usually go for the mass produced generic light but I also try to mix things up a bit now and then with the micro brews/specialty beers. A coworker's relative works at a local brewing company and they are always bringing samples in -- for whatever reason I just cannot bring myself to enjoy them.

Nothing wrong with liking what you like. I'm not a big fan of light beers just because I find them over-carbonated and light on flavor, and many people that are into beer have a similar reaction -- take a tour at Coors and you'll probably hear how resistant the brewers were to making light beer at first, since they didn't consider it "real beer." I wouldn't lump Coors Banquet or Budweiser into that category -- I think they're good American Lagers and hold up well against craft beers in the same category. The negativity aimed at them probably reflects that they were pretty much all that was available in the US for a number of years, and that they're made by mega corporations (which have fallen out of favor in recent years).

Good on you for continuing to try new stuff. Luckily there's a huge variety of beer available now, and even if IPAs aren't your thing, you may find that you enjoy some of the hundreds of less hoppy craft beers out there: pilsners, stouts and wheat beers for example. And in the end if you still just prefer Bud Lite, well there's nothing wrong with that, you're a cheap date and you'll come out a bit slimmer than the rest of us (assuming you're not drinking 2x as much Bud Lite, or course)!

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

I would also add that a lot of craft beers are just produce terrible batches but a small brewer can't afford to throw out a bad batch. Nasty flavors are not supposed to be part of good beer. Cardboard flavor (too much oxygen got into the beer) band-aid flavor (phenols were created) etc.

As with most types of food and beverage, you can easily find mediocre or even bad craft beer, especially at the extremely local brewpub level. That said, if you're just starting out there are several dozen major "craft" breweries (New Belgium, Bells, Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, etc.) that simply don't make bad beer. You may not enjoy a particular style they offer, but you can be confident that they brewed it well and that it came out tasting exactly how they wanted it to taste.

Quoted from konjurer:

Larger brewers like Miller and Bud have incredible levels of consistency. Hard to do on a small scale.

Miller, Bud and Coors also have very skilled brewers who do an amazing job with consistency, especially since they have to make beer that tastes the same at different plants around the world working with the local water chemistry which will vary considerably and really does impact the end product. Anyone who knows anything about brewing would never disrespect those brewers.

#45 6 years ago

I like my beer

1. Cold
    2. Free or Cheap
    3. Delicious
    4. Without fruit or cinnamon or other horseshit accoutrements

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

A little off the main subject, but sometimes I do not even know where to start when picking a new beer out

First thing on the list should always be
    Is it Canadian Beer

#47 6 years ago

I remember when I first tried beer when I was 14 or maybe 8. I didn't like it at all but I liked the buzz.
    It took a few years really before I realized I actually liked the taste and was no longer drinking it just for the buzz!

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

First thing on the list should always be
    Is it Canadian Beer

It's amazing how the beer selection in Canada has grown over the past 10-15 years. I have a good friend in Toronto and I remember hitting up the beer store with him in the early 2000s and it felt straight out of Strange Brew, pick your variety of Molsen and they roll it down the conveyor belt. Now the LCBO has an incredible variety of beers, and as I understand it they do a nice job of making room for newer and smaller breweries, not always the case in the US where InBev and SABMiller distributors often buy up most of the shelf space for their dozens of brands.

#49 6 years ago

I've never really kicked a beer outta bed, but cannot get into Sours!

#50 6 years ago

In the summer for me it is a GOOD German or Czech pilsner

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beer-is-there-something-wrong-with-my-taste-buds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.