(Topic ID: 6820)

beauty of a machine.. price seems high though

By practicalsteve

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown.jpeg
    ChrisRock1.jpg
    StandardDeviation.gif
    IMG_1908.JPG
    IMG_1910.JPG
    IMG_1904.jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

I cant even begin to afford the dough they are asking but looks like a really nice TAF. seem high to you guys?

sfbay.craigslist.org link

#2 12 years ago

Who knew that LEDs and chrome armor would add $2,500-3,000 to the value of a pin? Time to go make some mods to my LOTR...

#3 12 years ago

Its too high and theres 2 TAF machines in the photo.Strange?? and why are the pics so far away?

#4 12 years ago

I don't think that it is out of the question based on condition. I have seen cheaper but not that nice. My TAF is nice with clear coat playfield and I have that much into it. More actually.

#5 12 years ago

Ouch!
    I am with jarjar on this one...
    That is too damn high!
    At least it looks nice though.
    I just watched the first movie again last night, still good even though the CGI was really dated.
    Here's hoping a Blu-Ray release will eventually come out soon. It's only taken 20 whole years!
    I also will be curious to see what Tim Burton will do to TAF's world with his future stop motion film...
    Maybe we can get a second TAF pin???

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

I don't think that it is out of the question based on condition. I have seen cheaper but not that nice. My TAF is nice with clear coat playfield and I have that much into it. More actually.

makes sense,i played TAF at pinmikes and its alot of fun and funny too.start up of multiball is insane and wild.

#7 12 years ago

Very high IMO, but that's not very uncommon these days. I paid 4000 for mine, fully restored, cab and all...

That price is "retail" price for sure...not private...but who knows, somebody just may bite

#8 12 years ago

It's too high but I can't tell you how much too high based on those pics.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

It's too high but I can't tell you how much too high based on those pics.

Thats Right,It would have to be looked at in person.

Quoted from silverman:

2 TAF machines in the photo.Strange??

That is odd.Looks like an empty house to me you can tell by looking at
    the mirror.

#10 12 years ago

I typically pay a little more for machines but most of the time I know what I am getting. I like nice machines personally.

IMG_1904.jpgIMG_1904.jpg

#11 12 years ago

Thats a Lovely TAF better than a nude playboy pic.

#12 12 years ago

I'm very proud of my current trio.

IMG_1910.JPGIMG_1910.JPG

#13 12 years ago

I like the way you did all of them especially TAF because no matter
    how many LEDS i put in mine the back of the playfield is still dark.
    Yours turned out great with the kit.

#14 12 years ago

I think it's funny how the seller lists "DIMOND PLATE PLAY FIELD" as if there was such a thing as a TAF WITHOUT Diamondplate.

#15 12 years ago

Property is location, location, location.

Pins are condition, condition, condition.

Would have to see it and what was done to it to tell how much it is worth.

My guess just based on the information from the ad: Too high, but nice shape.

#16 12 years ago

We need to get a grip. Because someone asks 6400 for a TAF or any machine that was 3k yesterday doesnt mean thats the new value.

Get a look under the PF. Thats all you have to do to see if its worth the extra bucks. 99 percent of the time its not, knock it back down to a 3500 - 4k (although - TAFs at 4k? Last year they were 3!!).

Whatever. Everything is inflated madly. Not complaining (i paid good money for a TZ recently), but things are a bit crazy right now.

#18 12 years ago

If it was a gold edition, than I could see that being the price it is.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

TAF WITHOUT Diamondplate

He probably ment clearcoated.

#20 12 years ago

I'm gonna say this with much respect to my fellow pinsiders. I think that real world prices are higher than some of you think for Excellent Condition. Unless you have a friend of a friend or a craigslist deal that you wait long enough to find. I certainly don't see many pins under $5,000 that are EXCELLENT in condition. Especially the A-list pins. I tend to by from retailers but, I have also bought from CL and Ebay. There was a TZ online a couple weeks back that had a decent playfield but MAJOR cabinet fade for $5,000. I just paid $4,000 for a TZ that is in EXCELLENT Condition though I am gonna change the ramp and a couple plastics and wax it up. No cabinet fade but a little chunk of the edge missing under the coin door. I would like to see some prices paid for pins by those who say things are waaaaay to expensive. I say it is what it is when you find it and if it is what you want then are you willing to pay for it?
    I did just find an Excellent CONGO coming from Texas for $1800. I think that is a STEAL for an excellent version while some may think it is overpriced for Congo. Just my 2 cents.

#21 12 years ago

I've never bought retail and probably never will. I'd rather buy from other collectors, or buy a pin and restore/fix it myself.

I paid 4000 for my TAF, it was a full restore by a private restorer, not retail. So it was perfect and over 2000 less than this one. Even at 4000 I thought it was expensive haha...but it was my first pin..

Congo at 1800 sounds good to me....love that game..

#22 12 years ago

beautiful looking machines Coasterguy!

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

think that real world prices are higher than some of you think for Excellent Condition. Unless you have a friend of a friend or a craigslist deal that you wait long enough to find. I certainly don't see many pins under $5,000 that are EXCELLENT in condition.

I think most saying it is too expensive are those that would not think of going that high for it themselves. So it's not saying that someone with cash to spend won't go that high for such a nice example of a pin. I think it is a beautiful looking pin we are talking about indeed.

I enjoy putting on mods and pimping out machines to the max myself it gives me something to work on and when it is done I love it that much more. So I would elect to buy one with a good playfield and work it into its best form. That way I get something to work on and I don't have to pay up front the higher price for a pin like this one. However, in the end when you take things too far as I do you probably put in almost as much money into it as one of those high priced pins anyway.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

I like the way you did all of them especially TAF because no matter
    how many LEDS i put in mine the back of the playfield is still dark.
    Yours turned out great with the kit.

Mike mine is well lit because of the plexi glass backboard and led strip for it I bought from Pinballdecals. Expensive and a pain in the ass to install but, it lit it up very well and I love it.

#25 12 years ago

Another view

IMG_1908.JPGIMG_1908.JPG

#26 12 years ago

Pricing topics always turn out ugly and if your willing to pay the price for it and
    you got money to burn then go for it if not then move on.Its a waste of time and
    typing.Bought my TZ 3 years ago-2700 My TAF 2 years ago-3100.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Mike mine is well lit because of the plexi glass backboard and led strip for it I bought from Pinballdecals. Expensive and a pain in the ass to install but, it lit it up very well and I love it.

I love it!! It looks Awesome!

#28 12 years ago

Man I miss my TAF, yours looks awesome coaster...

#29 12 years ago

coasterguy's is the best looking TAF I have ever seen. I'm literally drooling.

#30 12 years ago

TAF is a Keeper!! The humor is like no other

#31 12 years ago

I only wish I could begin to afford it, how do you guys get the money to have five to thirteen machines?

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I only wish I could begin to afford it, how do you guys get the money to have five to thirteen machines?

Its years of collecting i started in 2002.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Thats a Lovely TAF better than a nude playboy pic.

Not sure about that

#34 12 years ago

That is a nice collection

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Not sure about that

Well,At that moment i guess

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

I'm gonna say this with much respect to my fellow pinsiders. I think that real world prices are higher than some of you think for Excellent Condition.

i agree.

#37 12 years ago

Trust me if you look at my collection history and realize that I have only been in this hobby for just over a year you can see that I have been a bit obsessed this year. I have turned more tables then Applebee's! I have worked many extra days in order to fund this expensive hobby. I hope after WOZ I settle down a bit. I need to focus on my 401k more in 2012 right Gweem?

#38 12 years ago

How can you guys tell its a "nice" machine? They don't even show the playfield...at all. If someone here wants to pay 6k for a TAF, then I have a perfect DM they can have for $2500....lmk if anyone is interested.

#39 12 years ago

6500 is ridiculous. You can buy TAFs in GREAT shape in my neck of the woods (from reputable forum members) for under 3500. They play excellent, look great and are not stupidly priced.

Anybody who wants to pay TONS MORE to convince themselves they have the "best game around" are playing the fool. pinball is pinball, the game will still break down, get dirty, develop wear, etc etc just like any other game for half the price. It may look great, but at an extreme price markup.

If you want bragging rights, good for you.. you got them! I would much rather have 2 or even 3 A listers in GOOD shape than just 1 in GREAT shape. catch my drift?

coasterguy, you don't have to keep trying to convince us (and yourself) that paying over 6 or 7k for your Addams was worth it. Believe me, we're all very impressed..

#40 12 years ago

Phrmtek. I knew that at any moment you would chime in with your defensive remarks as you have in many other threads. We are just sharing insight here. I was not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just think that many on pinside think that certain pins should be priced what they want to pay vs. what they actually go for. That's all no harm intended. I did not pay that much for my TAF btw. I have that much into it with all of the add-ons and changes I made with it. If most of us add up everything we do to a machine plus what we paid for it. Ugh,,,, it's not typically a little amount of money.

#41 12 years ago

Its clear to me what happens - i've been living this hobby for the last 4 years and i am convinced this is the story behind whats going on.

You have BEATERS that sell for BEATER prices. Lets call a beater a "players machine". And You have EXCELLENT examples sell for EXCELLENT prices. Something the prior owner (or myself) put their time into to making it look good.

Next time someone sells a BEATER, they price it at EXCELLENT pricing (why cant i have that price is the mentality).

Because demand is there, and most people entering the hobby don't know the difference between fade / oxidized metals / etc, or due to location (local person justifies it since they don't want to ship) they pay EXCELLENT pricing for a BEATER.

Next time a person lists their EXCELLENT example, they price it higher than the BEATERS because what are they going to do - sell for less than the crap that just sold?

Think about it. Watch it. Its happening. Its pretty sad this trend, because there is little respect for the nice machines. It irks me when i see an Excellent example sell followed by a beater at the same price - knowing the beater seller was 'jealous" of the excellent pricing (they clearly use that as a benchmark of value). This paragraph is very important by the way!!!

I sure can complain all i want about it. But, counter what was stated here earlier, i will still pay a premium for what i believe is a nice machine. I just paid 5k+ for a Mint TZ. Three years back, my first TZ, which was in decent shape i paid 3400. Oh - and deals are out there. I found two TZs in between for 2500 each - i ended up selling them at the same price because i didnt want the project. The people that list them at 2500 are respectful of the market, knowing their true worth and not trying to take advantage.

Back to the original post - 6400 TAF, BEATER or not, someone is trying to break new ground, set a new price point, and if the machine has any fade or oxidation, that person is taking advantage IMO. Right now in fact there are at least 3 - 4 TAFs listed at that level. If they sell, expect the trend to continue. Sad but true.

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Anybody who wants to pay TONS MORE to convince themselves they have the "best game around" are playing the fool ...

It really annoys me when people try to tell other people how to spend their money. I understand that it's coming from a place of frustration due to the high prices we're seeing lately, but what gives you the right to chastise someone for paying a premium for a really nice example of a game? The fact of the matter is that many of us in this hobby are not only players but collectors as well. In this case, the condition the machine is in makes all the difference in the world.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It really annoys me when people try to tell other people how to spend their money. I understand that it's coming from a place of frustration due to the high prices we're seeing lately, but what gives you the right to chastise someone for paying a premium for a really nice example of a game? The fact of the matter is that many of us in this hobby are not only players but collectors as well. In this case, the condition the machine is in makes all the difference in the world.

I think that there are two sides to this. First it fine for someone to pay a premium for a pristine example of a pin. Where the frustration started is when it was implied that if you like pristine pins you have to pay what the premium prices distributors or the like demand. That is not always the case. Sometimes there are very nice machines out there that are sold/traded by collectors to other collectors (sometimes friends within the pinball community) for a far more reasonable price. Partly because they are collectors not distributors that have expenses to pay in order to keep their business running.

That said, people can spend their money how they like and as long as they are happy with it that is all that really matters. But at the same time I think it is just as acceptable for someone to express an opinion that a pin is overpriced and that they would never pay that much for it. That is mainly what was expressed in this thread. Whether we agree or disagree with that opinion does not matter everyone has a right to respectfully express their views here.

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

... I think it is just as acceptable for someone to express an opinion that a pin is overpriced and that they would never pay that much for it.

I have absolutely no problem with someone expressing their opinion about whether or not they think a particular pin is overpriced. It's comments like this, however, that irritate me:

Quoted from RawleyD:

If you want bragging rights, good for you.. you got them!

This goes way beyond one's personal opinion, and is very judgmental.

#45 12 years ago

The listing is updated with a link to pics. It looks very nice. Not $6400 nice but nice none the less.

#46 12 years ago

It does indeed look VERY nice.

#47 12 years ago

That thing is in the blue, fo sho. The one on the right, not the left.
    StandardDeviation.gifStandardDeviation.gif

#48 12 years ago

I just got home and was able to look at the new link of photos better. IMHO I think that is a GREAT price for such a machine. It's obvious a high-end restore. It is pristine and if it came from TC or HEP it would be $8500 + all day. If I did not have mine already I certainly would look into it for myself. It is a beauty...

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from loud_knocker:

How can you guys tell its a "nice" machine? They don't even show the playfield...at all. If someone here wants to pay 6k for a TAF, then I have a perfect DM they can have for $2500....lmk if anyone is interested.

Man,Some people always love to dog out someone elses machine and price.
    They never learn their lesson and still keep trying to push their crappy games
    in between.Howdy Do Webfart!!

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

I was not trying to convince anyone of anything.

You've convinced me coasterguy! Your TAF just blows me away. You hit one out of the park and it hit me in the head. I'd never trade or sell my TAF I just didn't realize the potential in my own machine until I locked on to yours. I can really appreciate what went into your TAF.
    Just outstanding my friend!

Post edited by Loupie : af

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beauty-of-a-machine-price-seems-high-though and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.