Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Letter_K
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

suit.JPG
080610_015.jpg
080610_003.jpg
080610_002.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I bought a Genie from a very nice couple that had to get rid of it. It was stuck on tilt and didn't work. I paid $500 for it and it's in gorgeous shape, vibrant like new. I bypassed the slam switch and it booted up.

The drop targets don't reset, the playfield lights seem confused, and the scoring is screwy. It seems like these problems might be related to a single solution, but I could use a little direction.

Also, someone had done some odd work on one of the boards, cutting the wires from the connector and soldering them directly to the board. Then they replaced a transistor, and almost burned completely through the board. I'm suprised it even turned on. I've since replaced the board with one I had sitting about.

080610_002.jpg 080610_003.jpg 080610_015.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Hi Letter K - What a beauty ... I like it .

Does it work ? How is the gameplay

Sometimes the transistor 2N3055 is not used . It depends on machine - (for example in my Dragon without bank Target , i needn't this device..)

-Recharge your display (more blue ) with a battery (look at pinrepair)
-Replace the connector and desolder this wires from the board..I did it and i don't regret .

#3 8 years ago

I bought one of these in 1982, but it wouldn't work when I got home with it, so I carried it back and got Laserball instead. I remember Genie having a great attract tune!

#4 8 years ago

The 2N3055 area of the driver PCB looks like that on many of the driver PCBs I have or have seen.

Yes, unsolder the wires from the driver pcb and install the correct connector. It looks like the harness from the CPU pcb to the Driver PCB that this was done to.

lso check all coils with a DMM first.
Did you run any diagnostics yet to check lights, switches, solonoids, etc?

Also do all the necessary ground mods and PS mods.

#5 8 years ago

Yes, the game boots up, and I did the diagnostics. The lights are fine, but when the game starts, they don't turn on or run right. I don't think the ground mods are done, so I'll take a look at that. Would that cause the lights to work funny or the drop targets to not reset?

#6 8 years ago

Which lights ? Lamps driven by the Driver board -> connectors are suspicious.Clean with sandpaper your contacts on Driverboard J3 and J5.

I am (at this moment 6.45pm) between A1J7-15 and Z9 pin13.what a heck..this Dragon .

#7 8 years ago

It's the lamps on the playfield. They all work, but there's something up with the game itself that's not sending the right signals to the gameplay elements.

#8 8 years ago

I love that backglass .. I've never seen this machine before.

#9 8 years ago

Looks like a real nice game, digg the BG

#10 8 years ago

Last message from Lionel before Departure to VEGAS PHOF ...

Lamps are driven by the Driver Board :
- check contact
- check transistor
- check 74175

Upper,
Check connector between A1 and A3 : vinegar : toothbrush.
(signal activation are coming by this way)

Upper CPU :

Upper Switch Matrix

Check contacts strobe/return (A1J6 and A1J7)
Interesting article but in French -
Connect a scope ...

http://www.flipjuke.fr/wiki/doku.php?id=analyse_fonctionnement_matrice_contacts_gottlieb

#11 8 years ago

Yeah, the backglass is enchanting in person. It has reflective parts all throghout so pieces of your own reflection become part of the image.

Here's a question:

We started looking into the machine yesterday, and the first thing we noticed was that almost every fuse was the wrong size; they were all a couple of amps lower than what the manual says. How does that affect the game?

Also, I swapped the playfield fuse and now one of the drop target banks resets, but the other still does not.

#12 8 years ago

Check out this page near the bottom.
http://tuukan.fliput.net/sys1_en.html

From that page:
Playfield illumination is always off.
Check fuses on cabinet bottom board. Also, playfield lights are controlled by the T (tilt) relay, mounted on playfield underside. The relay pulls in when game is tilted. It is normally off. There are one set of contact points on relay to turn off playfield lights in tilt, and another pair to disable flippers, bumpers and slingshots. The other relay, Q, is the game over relay. It pulls in during game and also enables playfield solenoids. The backbox "ball in play" and "match" lights are alternated by Q relay.

Do you have any corrosion on the pcb fingers or contacts in the harnesses? If so they need to be fixed.

As far as resetting the drop targets, some system 1's use power transistors mounted under the playfield as drivers due to the system 1 driver pcb not having enough power transistors. That's what Countdown does. Uses two under playfield power tsistors to reset two drop banks. However I don't think Genie takes this approach

Also you need to read this and do all that Clay says to do and I would also put in the correct rated fuses into the Genie before proceeding further.
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm

Make sure you do the slam switch mod as well.

Do you have the specific schematics and wrl for the Genie game?

#13 8 years ago

I did all the mods, and I have the book. I'm not so good with schematics, but we'll be looking at the diode board next time we get together. It's odd that the fuse fixed one drop target but not the other.

I don't think Genie has the transistors you are talking about. The fuses are our next step.

BD: You can look at my precious but you can't touch! I haven't let the wife in the garage since I got her, for fear that she might give my new best gal the wrong idea.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 399.95
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Windham, ME
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Senoia, GA
€ 8.40
$ 64.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball
$ 37.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 149.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside