Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Basista69
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

After years of wanting my own machine I finally bought a cheap Chicago Coin Beatniks machine from a fellow pinsider. So far I’ve really enjoyed the game. I got into the cab and tinkered around with a few minor issues (rollover switch wasnt activating, was able to “bend” it back to make contact), and got into the headboard to resecure score reels.

One issue I’m having is flipper strength. At times when I hit the ball, it barely travels halfway up the playfield. It seems like I have to hit the ball just right to get some good distance out of it.

Would like to replace some of the parts as I’m sure it would improve game performance. My main issue is I do not know what parts to get and where to get them from. I found flipper repair kits on amazon but they range in the $50+ range. Any tips or suggestions for a novice?

Also, less important but the 1,000s score reel on my player 2 does not work. How difficult is it to get this fixed? Thanks in advance for any help and information.

#2 5 years ago

One of the main reasons for weak flippers would be dirty or worn end-of-stroke (EOS) switches. Try cleaning the switch contacts first to see if that will improve flipper strength... The Pinball Resource has individual flipper parts for early Chicago Coin machines:

http://www.pbresource.com/KT-CCMEarly.html

See if you can manually turn the 1000 point score reel by pushing in the solenoid plunger. Confirm that score reel moves freely and clicks into each number position. If the score reel works properly mechanically, then you would need to look at the circuit that controls power to the score reel solenoid. A switch in the circuit could be dirty or mis-adjusted. Do you have a schematic for the machine?

#3 5 years ago

I've had good luck restoring flipper strength by cleaning the plungers and sleeves with swabs and 91# rubbing alcohol. Lightly sand the plungers with 600# sandpaper after and spritz a little bit of powdered graphite into the sleeve before re-inserting the plunger.

On your 1000s reel: what exactly is not working?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I've had good luck restoring flipper strength by cleaning the plungers and sleeves with swabs and 91# rubbing alcohol. Lightly sand the plungers with 600# sandpaper after and spritz a little bit of powdered graphite into the sleeve before re-inserting the plunger.
On your 1000s reel: what exactly is not working?

So when player 2 goes from 999 to 1,000, the 1k score reel does not activate. So it only scores from 1-999. I just bought some wetordry sandpaper and will attempt to clean the switches.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Basista69:

So when player 2 goes from 999 to 1,000, the 1k score reel does not activate

Likely your 9th pos. sw. on the 100s reel. Read more here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Basista69:

the 1,000s score reel on my player 2 does not work. How difficult is it to get this fixed?

At the risk of stating the obvious, that depends on what's wrong. Does it work if you push in its solenoid with your finger? Does it work if you tap a powered wire on its solenoid's power tab?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

At the risk of stating the obvious, that depends on what's wrong. Does it work if you push in its solenoid with your finger? Does it work if you tap a powered wire on its solenoid's power tab?

Sorry man I feel dumb but I don’t completely understand what you mean.

So for a little update, I attempted to clean the switches and plunger for the flippers and improved strength slightly, but i really think i need to fully disassemble the bushing and plunger to see if it needs more cleaning or replaced.

As for the score reel, i was messin with it today and the player 2 1k reel moves when i manually pull the plastic tab thing, i can see the switches moving when it goes to 9 and 0, i cleaned them, but it’s still not working. I tried cleaning the player 2 100’s reel too and still nothing. One thing i noticed is the 1k reel is different then all other 7 reels on the machine. I’ll have to post pictures to better explain what i mean.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Basista69:

So for a little update, I attempted to clean the switches and plunger for the flippers and improved strength slightly, but i really think i need to fully disassemble the bushing and plunger to see if it needs more cleaning or replaced.

You will have to fully disassemble to properly clean it.

Quoted from Basista69:

I tried cleaning the player 2 100’s reel too and still nothing.

Did you read the link I posted? Not only does the 9th pos sw on the 100s need to be clean, it also has to be adjusted correctly. The link has pix of the reel and the sw. location.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Basista69:

I don’t completely understand what you mean.

Hi Tony, If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone # in a private message.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

You will have to fully disassemble to properly clean it.

Did you read the link I posted? Not only does the 9th pos sw on the 100s need to be clean, it also has to be adjusted correctly. The link has pix of the reel and the sw. location.

Yeah I read it and cleaned/tinkered with it but still nothing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beatniks-flipper-repair-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.