Hot dog (resized).jpg
C8DC4F89-4F05-4503-B760-4DDB299CBDA3 (resized).png
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
hype-train-fail (resized).jpg
backboard-excess (resized).jpg
naked-spinner (resized).jpg
beatles-toys-11 (resized).png
639AD88A-6C71-4E30-94B7-F38D938EA052 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viggin900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#160 4 years ago

Something wrong with brats,beer and polka? Thats what we all do till this day and have celebrated it for over 200 years? No one dances to Beatles music in gyms anymore? Beatles title wont mean much to the younger crowd in 20 years but the festival will still go on past our lifetime.

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Oktoberfest's history isn't free of controversy. Nazis co-opted the festival as propaganda in 1933. Since its inception, there have been 24 years in which the event was not celebrated. The world somehow survived each of those years. The patrons got drunk in public elsewhere those years, without the benefit of buxom bar maidens, I suppose.
The festival is not important to the human condition and it's even less important to the zeitgeist of pinball as a hobby.
In my opinion, the festival is not particularly culturally significant. Is it entertaining? Yes. Is it well-attended? You bet. Australian cricket also features massive attendance and entertains large crowds; but, I suspect that cricket and pinball won't intersect soon.
As a pinball theme, Oktoberfest is fun and the game shoots well. American Pinball deserves credit for designing a good quality game. I simply think that the Beatles, both as a theme and as a pinball machine, will enjoy greater longevity.
The Beatles Gold is a very good value. The build of materials on the game is grossly undervalued. The multiple drop target banks, for example, are far more costly than the bash-toy and ramp features of most new releases.
Stern's miscalculation was releasing the platinum and diamond versions. Stern did so in the wake of its Supreme pinball selling for $50K, in a failed attempt to replicate that odd collector-crazy phenomenon.
Based on the poll here, the Oktoberfest fans well outnumber the Beatles fans. Downvote me if you must or just prove me wrong in 5 years when we re-examine the market and discover the pricing status of each good title. I hope that both hold their value. But, after 35 years in the hobby, my experience compels me to conclude that The Beatles Gold will fare better.

Bringing up nazi's, really? Thats stooping pretty low. If it didn't go on for 24 years and people didn't care then why did they bring it back? It couldn't have been possible with wars going on. Not culturaly significant? Then what is, cheeseburgers? Funny how it has to be the gold edition in order for it to be considered a contender to Oktoberfest.

#179 4 years ago

Oktoberfest does a better job at "Hey Jude". You tell me if this isn't fun?

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:First, the gold edition of The Beatles is the good value version precisely because the platinum and diamond versions are saddled with an artificial price inflation. Specifically, all 3 versions are exactly the same game. The only differences are cosmetic in nature and those variations are minor, coupled with lower production numbers. Thus, there's nothing "funny" about that conclusion, unless you equate value with comedy.
As for the historical reference to a 24 year lapse in the festival, that lapse was not consecutive. Therefore, your argument about reinstating the festival is factually unsound.
In regard to the festival's use by Hitler, that history is fact. Your belief that a recitation of that history is "low" seems a reflexive reaction and not contemplative of its context. This thread is about comparing 2 games and one theme happens to have an ignoble history.
Last, festivals can be significant to cultures, dating back to Sumerian society. I just don't imagine that Oktoberfest will generate anything beyond a footnote to future generations. In contrast, cheeseburgers are culturally significant, especially in the western hemisphere. Everybody knows that. Oktoberfest ain't no cheeseburger.

I can't even respond to this? Hitler,hating the worlds largest festival, cheeseburgers more important, sumarians, ignoble history. Who talks like this? No one I hang out with. I dont know where to begin with this. The fact you drop the third reich and bussoms into the equation tells me you know nothing about it, its history, or nearly half of all pinball machines are sold overseas. Bubble world you live in.

#188 4 years ago

I like the Beatles game as well but not for the price. Your paying for the licensing. I wonder if they sold even half of the 1,964? If they rethemed the rest of the games circa abbey road and added later music they would sell them easily.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I would wager even at ridiculous prices they sold more then Octoberfest. By no means does that make it a better game but it Does seem like those voting with their wallet chose Beatles?

You are absolutely correct in that statement, however owners will loose their wallet when it comes time to sell in 8 years. Lots of them out there and no one wants them. SUPPLY AND DEMAND. If anyone is looking for an investment...

chart (resized).jpgchart (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viggin900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beatles-vs-oktoberfest?tu=viggin900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.