(Topic ID: 265350)

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Retheme(S)!

By VonPinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Vino
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which is Your Favorite Beatles Pinball Mix?!”

• Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 21 votes
    31%
  • White Album 22 votes
    32%
  • Revolver 17 votes
    25%
  • I like the original mix. 3 votes
    4%
  • A different album all together 5 votes
    7%

(68 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EEA4D1B5-4607-459F-87DA-F0F7ADDE50A8 (resized).jpeg
1111 (resized).png
1112 (resized).png
IMG_7061 (resized).jpg
4905DB73-4A0B-44D3-99CC-19F1C6B390B2 (resized).jpeg
EE475FF1-6816-402B-871B-82FE9165B34F (resized).jpeg
96E93D8E-08BB-4D1C-A6BF-FB605C053A82 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VonPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

oga83 recently released version 7.03 of PinballBrowser and it is an amazing upgrade that now allows you to replace video assets! I highly recommend checking it out and playing around with it. It's very easy to use.

I've always wished Stern had gone with the "later" Beatles and I went a little wild with it the past week or so with a Sgt Pepper re-theme and replaced all the songs and video assets in the game!

I'm not a graphic designer by any means, but the videos replacements turned out well. I'll be making some further tweaks in the coming weeks as I collect notes and I may change or tweak a song, but it's fun to play for now!

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Retheme:
Drive Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m5LXJ8cjJrJjH4IOl8nA8jgBBQ-1dFld/view?usp=sharing

Here's a video of me playing a game that gets through to the "Taxman" (Sgt. Pepper) multiball:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/579386834

Taxman - Sgt Pepper (reprise)
All My Lovin - Lucy In the Sky w/ Diamonds
Drive My Car - Good Morning
Ticket to Ride - When I'm 64
It Won't Be Long - Lovely Rita
Should Have Known Better - Getting Better All the Time
Help - Little Help From My Friends
Hard Days Night - Sgt Pepper
Can't Buy Me Love - Day in the Life

The White Album Retheme:
Drive Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Heb_nA6Tf98RC9TiUHo3MFsxK1zuMgo4/view?usp=sharing

Taxman - Helter Skelter
All My Lovin - Back in the USSR
Drive My Car - Revolution
Ticket to Ride - Why Don't We Do It In the Road?
It Won't Be Long - Ob La Di, Ob La Da
Should Have Known Better - Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Help - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Hard Days Night - Glass Onion
Can't Buy Me Love - Martha My Dear

Revolver Retheme:
Drive Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XOJvmlclf2rM-vs_16vJbTP8NCGDeIA0/view?usp=sharing

Taxman - uhhh...Taxman...
All My Lovin - Yellow Submarine
Drive My Car - Doctor Robert
Ticket to Ride - And Your Bird Can Sing
It Won't Be Long - Good Day Sunshine
Should Have Known Better - Got to Get You In To My Life
Help - Eleanor Rigby
Hard Days Night - Want to Tell You
Can't Buy Me Love - I'm Only Sleeping

You'll need to flash an SD card (I recommend a Class 10 SD Card with a minimum of 16gb) using the free software Win32DiskImager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/). If your computer does not have an SD Card slot, I recommend using a USB adapter similar to this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Reader-RS-MMC-Micro/dp/B006T9B6R2/ref=sr_1_3

After that, just turn off the game, swap out the SD card in your backbox with this one, turn it on, and you'll be ready to go. If you want to change back, just put the old SD card back in! The old SD Card will retain your high scores.

Done on Beatles Gold Code, but confirmed to work on Diamond and Platinum.

A big thanks again to @oga83, I recommend everyone give Pinball Browser a shot and play around. It's very intuitive and for $20.00, it's one of the cheapest mods on the market!

#5 4 years ago

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, I'm still doing little upgrades here and there.

#9 4 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words! I think I may switch gears and do White Album next. I think I'm going to keep the videos, but change up the songs and fix the score cover-ups. I'm already dreaming of playing a "Why Don't We Do it in the Road" multiball...

#11 4 years ago

You only need the big 8gb file, the other .dat file isn't needed.

I updated the Drive link to go straight to the file now.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Simply awesome and can't thank you enough for sharing your creativity!!! Total nube question as I have never messed with the software I assume if something went wrong this is reversible? I just may do this unless I bumble the upgrade...

If you write to a new SD card, you will just be physically switching the SD card in your backbox with this new one. You can switch them back and forth at your leisure. No software update necessary.

#17 4 years ago

The White Album is here!

I kept all the Sgt Pepper videos and didn't do any further replacements except for the start and match sequences. I added some tweaks here and there to both this and the Sgt. Pepper link, so you may want to refresh that too.

I replaced:
Taxman - Helter Skelter
All My Lovin - Back in the USSR
Drive My Car - Revolution
Ticket to Ride - Why Don't We Do It In the Road?
It Won't Be Long - Ob La Di, Ob La Da
Should Have Known Better - Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Help - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Hard Days Night - Glass Onion
Can't Buy Me Love - Martha My Dear

Same installation instructions as the initial post.

GDrive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Heb_nA6Tf98RC9TiUHo3MFsxK1zuMgo4/view?usp=sharing

#22 4 years ago

GorillaBiscuits ...Revolver delivered.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Man I’ve been tearing apart my drawers looking for one. No luck yet!
vongator cant wait to check out Revolver thank you! I’m terrible with pinball browser, but my day job is making motion graphics. Maybe I can dress up some clips and font stuff in the future? Will PM ya after I get this installed and get some plays in!

For sure! I can cut and clip sounds and video, but have no graphics skills...

#27 4 years ago

I know money can be tight during these times, but here are 5 SD Cards for $22 on Amazon, which is a pretty good deal:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IMKEMC6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_Z6CKEb4V1NB3C

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Baaad movie.
Saw Peter Frampton in concert a few years ago and he was still great though!

I think the only movie clip I used was for the match sequence :/

Wake2wood Thank you! I love making people happy!

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Wow - so fun!!! Both my wife and I really enjoyed this.
Downloaded the SD card raw data, balenaEtcher for Mac (Catalina), cleared the SD card from my old Lumix DMC-LX7, wrote the Beatles software to the SD card, installed, rebooted, and it worked the first time. Just had to remember to reset adjustments to my preferences (like headphone volume controls backbox volume).
Comment from our first play - we liked how you switched out "I Should Have Known Better" with an appropriate substitute!
Thanks, vongator !!!!
-Adam

So glad you like it! I just have 4 SD Cards now next to my game and switch back and forth when I feel like it. I think White Album is actually my favorite. The songs fit really well with Pinball. Enjoy!

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Just tried White Album. Overall, I like it better than Sgt. Pepper's also. Except for maybe the road song. The pop bumper song is great!!!
Wonder if it's possible to start USSR right at the first lyrics - "Flew in from Miami beach BOAC...." The intro on that song slows things down.
I had 2 extra 16 GB SD cards lying around. Need to scrounge up a 3rd smaller SD card - the others I have are too big & I still use them in cameras.

You are right about USSR, I fixed it. If you download again from the link, it is updated.

The road song is perfect for some late night pinball lovin'...

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Aipotu:

Sorry too be naive, but I am a relatively new pinball owner. Do I need to do a reboot and load the file from the SD, or simply stick the SD in? Do I need a separate program to unzip the files you posted?
Thank you for your patience with someone new to this -- these files look awesome (and a welcomed option for a machine I love)!
David

Download the file from the link in the first post.
Download this program: Etcher (https://www.balena.io/etcher/)
Using Etcher, write the file you downloaded from the first post to the SD Card. You need a class 10 SD Card w/ at least 16gb memory.
Turn off your Beatles game
Swap out the SD card in your backbox with the new one
Turn on the game.
Start Playing Pinball!

1 week later
#42 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It would be interesting if the OP added a poll showing the most popular between all versions.

Done and Done. I personally think the White Album is the best one even though the whole project was just supposed to be Sgt Pepper.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Ahhh... but don't deprecate yourself!
One of your poll options is "Should have left the original alone..."
I submit that even if someone likes the original the best, it doesn't mean that they don't like any of the others or appreciate their availability! Maybe "Original" or "Still like original the best."

You're a kind person. Self depreciation is my MO, but I've changed it...

#48 3 years ago

Thanks for the kind words and we now know that it works on all Beatles models thanks to Levi!

I'd be willing to work on another mix, if there was some consensus among the group on the music and I get motivated... As Adaminski stated, the issues with song looping are based on the 1 : 1 sound asset replacement restrictions in Pinball Browser. There are some ideas I have regarding animations, but I don't have any graphic skills to speak of...

I had someone reach out to me to do a private mix for them, but I don't feel comfortable charging for this as I am 100% stealing every asset and, if I'm doing it for someone else, it turns into work...but if it's a joint project, it could be fun. We could do polls for each song and have the community choose.

#52 3 years ago

The problem is there's only 9 songs in the game, so that would only really replace Help, Hard Day's Night, Can't Buy Me Love, and Taxman and you wouldn't hear them that often as they occur in the game rarely.

The match and beginning songs are only 5-9 second audio files and I stick them in as replacements for Ed Sullivan (beginning) and the match sequence "chords", so they don't play at any other times during the game.

2 weeks later
#62 3 years ago

I really appreciate everyone's kind words. I use other pinsiders' sound mods, images, videos, tutorials, advice etc. all the time and I'm simply happy to be able to give back to the community a bit.

3 months later
#77 3 years ago

Put together a doodlepoll of like 20 songs and let them duke it out! Maybe a post Beatles solo career cut too.

Also... GorillaBiscuits ... you think I could borrow your escalera...?

1 month later
#83 3 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I’m psyched to try this, but a bit apprehensive. Is it as simple as downloading the .raw file and flashing it? Will it work with win32imager, or do I have to use escher(sp?). I imaging all custom settings and scores will go away when I reboot with the new card, right? Is this similar to what Tim has done on the JP machine? So many questions, sorry1

This is the exact same process as the JP. It is as simple as Dl/Flash. Your settings and high scores "go away" with the new card, but they are stored on the old card, so when you swap it back, the settings should remain. Keep 4 separate SD cards and they will each keep their own high scores and settings. I would recommend using win32imager. It seems there's more and more people having issues with Etcher.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from djpro:

Vongator,
I'm so impressed with the work you did on these Beatles Rethemes!!!I just got my Beatles Gold and I'm so happy to have some more choices.
I've made all three SD Cards.
Are you planning on doing some more albums in the future? That would be AWESOME!!!
Is there anyway that the videos can be stretched slightly fill the whole TV frame?
Are you working to improve these further? If so, I've got tons of Rare Beatles Video Footage with Sound!!!
Thanks again,
David

I'll be honest, I haven't revisited the project much in the past few months...Going through some other stuff right now, but maybe in the future, though probably will do mixes vs. albums.

I highly recommend getting PinballBrowser and trying your hand at it!

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from djpro:

Remixes would be way cool!!!
I was looking at PinballBrowser and was having trouble with the ffmpeg. Couldn’t get it to work at all after downloading it and putting it in the root folder of the PinballBrowser program.
Are there any great tutorials for PinballBrowser? I’d love to play with it a bit!

For help w/ PinballBrowser I would recommend reading through this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

For ffmpeg, you should download the package, extract, then go to the "bin" folder and cut/paste ffmpeg/ffprobe to the root of PB.

1111 (resized).png1111 (resized).png1112 (resized).png1112 (resized).png
4 weeks later
#91 3 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

I have said this in other Beatles threads, just going to say it here again. If you have a Beatles pin get this and you will be a happy pinballer.
Thanks again VonPinball

Happy to be able to give back to the community. I've used so many others' work! Hope you and Carol stay safe!

2 weeks later
#102 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballRockDude:

I purchase new SD cards, I downloaded etcher, I downloaded using the link Sargent Pepper. Taken out original card and inserted new card. Game just keeps flashing Restarting Game. Inserted original SD card game plays fine. Instructions seem so simple what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

SORRY! Etcher no longer works with Stern code. You have to use Win32DiskImager

#103 3 years ago

I updated the original post to remove Etcher as the image writing tool and recommend Win32Disk Imager

2 months later
#109 3 years ago

As always thanks everyone for the kind words. This was a fun project I did while stuck at home during COVID last year.

Since then my marital status has...changed and I'm back at work and not really focused on my pinball hobby; hence no new mixes and slow response times. Maybe I'll have time again in the future, but doesn't seem like it for the time being.

A number of people have asked for help with copies and for additional mixes, and I try to help when possible, but I've been busy with other areas of my life and haven't been able to get to some of them. I hope the instructions in the initial post are clear and if you message, I'll try to help.

I'm happy to share the files for everything I've done if anyone wants it and to work on their own. This was all a labor of love and I never wanted any monetary return on it.

6 months later
#119 2 years ago

Hello, you are correct. In all of the versions, the Super Jackpot only lights if you complete the mode. I think something broke in the code, but I cannot find out what I did and do not know how to fix it. Sorry

2 weeks later
#127 2 years ago
Quoted from savannahga:

Which PinStadiums do you have for it? Thank you.

I was either using the Omegas or XStreams, neither of which he makes anymore. They were straight white LED. I don't like all the flashy RGB changing colors, I just want more light on the playfield. They were barely worth the $225 I paid and def not $600!

It's not too hard to make a pair of your own (there's a thread on pinside).

I've never tried before, but could probably just do a combo of these:
https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/matrix

https://smile.amazon.com/Muzata-Channel-Diffuser-Aluminum-Extrusion/dp/B0838WCLS4/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/Roll-N-Cut-Flexible-Magnetic-Tape-Refill/dp/B005HYDC68

4 months later
#137 2 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Would there be a way to add 8 more songs with A Hard Day's Night, Taxman, Help and Can't Buy Me Love so when you complete stuff etc and you're not in a mode and a song plays, instead of the 4 we get now, there'd be a variety of 12?

Sort of, but not really...

Pinball Browser only allows you to replace the existing sounds 1 : 1; you can't add new ones per se. So you can replace the 8 existing songs 1 : 1 (they aren't the full songs, so I had to trim the new ones appropriately), then you can replace a few of the call-outs with music (which is how I did the intro and match music).

2 weeks later
#142 2 years ago

I actually had some local users confirm that they were able to use my SD Cards on their Beatles Gold that was running 1.20 code.

1 week later
#146 2 years ago

So yesterday I decided to test for myself. I put a 1.20 SD card in my game, it updates the node boards, and plays. Then I put my old, 1.10 mix in the game, it also updated the node boards and then played. Seems to be ok so far.

Seems to me that, on boot up, the SD card checks the node board settings and makes the necessary changes. So you can switch back and forth between the 1.10 cards without updates, but if you switch back and forth between the 1.20 and 1.10 the game will make settings changes to the node boards. This shouldn't make any difference other than a few extra seconds of time, I wouldn't think.

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Thanks so much for checking this for me/us! I’m not sure if I understand though … if I have 1.20 loaded already and then try SD cards remixes from the downloads in (which I assume is 1.10?) it will work all the same right?
If so, where is the danger that I’m hearing someone people blowing boards? Or in other words, what do I make sure I don’t do to ensure I don’t blow anything up?

I think the danger of the node board going out is overstated. Node boards can surge and/or can flat out go bad, but I don't think doing software modifications will necessarily hurt the board hardware.

Think of the SD cards as different versions of an operating system. When the operating system on the plugged in SD Card starts, the system looks to make sure that the node boards have all the settings set for the system to perform properly. If the settings are wrong, the OS updates them before the game is playable. It does not seem to matter what the version of the operating system is, whatever version that is loaded in the game will make the required node board software changes at start up. This should not impact the hardware at all.

#150 2 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I go back and forth between the 1.20 release and older modified versions all the time. never had a problem. What would be nice is if someone smarter than me would see if the 1.20 code can be modded wiht the audio/video from the movie so we won't have to backload.

1.20 can be modded and it's not that it's difficult or that you have to be particularly smart, it's just incredibly time consuming. I'd love to cut up the Get Back doc and put a version of that together, but I don't have the time. I need another pandemic that traps me in my house without escape for a month...

#154 2 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

I just got my Beatles Gold and loving it so far. Is there a place where there are instructions to make the SD cards, specifically using a Mac? I've not used pinball browser, etc...
thanks

Not too familiar with Apple...YMMV using a Mac...

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

I might be doing something wrong, cause I dled all 3 mixes, flashed them with Balena etcher, but none is working in my brand new Beatles Gold.
Game is stuck rebooting non stop with all 3 mixes.
Putting back the card with the original code (1.20) makes it work as intended.
Any idea?

Balena Etcher no longer works. You have to write to the SD card using win32diskimager

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Done.
Game starts, but it's telling me it can't find the node 9 board and so most stuff does not work.
My machine came with Stern Insider pre-installed, is there a link?

Hmm, I can switch from 1.20 back and forth, but I don't have IC on my game.

Just to make sure, you are writing to an SD card and swapping it in and out; not using a USB stick, correct?

Second, try unplugging the ethernet cable between the QR reader and the board and see if that changes anything. That's the only connection between IC and the rest of the game. Maybe the physical connection is what is causing the issue.

Beyond that, I'd have to get a kit installed in mine and test it...

5 months later
#164 1 year ago

I sold my Beatles game and haven't made an update since 1.10 (I think); some folks with new builds have had issues trying to run the code; including node board failure, so I'd be careful. Definitely will not work w IC right now. I'm happy to pass the assets on to anyone who would like to use them to update the new code.

3 months later
#171 1 year ago

Everything from 1.2 on has mostly been for insider connected support. So, if you don't have IC installed, there's nothing updating Stern's versions will do.

See the readme file for the changes made each release.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/BEATLES_1.24-README.txt

That being said, I'm wary to recommend anyone to use it anymore. Someone (with insider connected, though not sure what version code) said they tried to use it and their node board went bad.

Is that the fault of my code? I'm not sure. The person got a new node board from Stern for free under warranty, so not a huge issue, but I'd hate to be the reason someone wasn't able to play their game.

At this point, I'd just say your mileage may vary...

I've also sold my Beatles and can't test anymore...That being said, I'm happy to share all the files and clips if anyone does want to pick up the ball and run with it.

2 weeks later
#176 1 year ago

I believe the files should work. To my knowledge there wasn't any difference in the code. I think someone tested it on theirs early on.

2 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tinton Falls, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,282 (OBO)
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VonPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beatles-sgt-pepper-s-lonely-hearts-club-retheme?tu=VonPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.