(Topic ID: 265350)

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Retheme(S)!

By VonPinball

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Vino
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which is Your Favorite Beatles Pinball Mix?!”

• Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 21 votes
    31%
  • White Album 22 votes
    32%
  • Revolver 17 votes
    25%
  • I like the original mix. 3 votes
    4%
  • A different album all together 5 votes
    7%

(68 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EEA4D1B5-4607-459F-87DA-F0F7ADDE50A8 (resized).jpeg
1111 (resized).png
1112 (resized).png
IMG_7061 (resized).jpg
4905DB73-4A0B-44D3-99CC-19F1C6B390B2 (resized).jpeg
EE475FF1-6816-402B-871B-82FE9165B34F (resized).jpeg
96E93D8E-08BB-4D1C-A6BF-FB605C053A82 (resized).jpeg

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 3 years ago

This one might be easy...how about a version where the 5 original modes still match up with their chosen songs, and the other songs are replaced by late 60s stuff - the background songs, the wizard modes and match songs etc.

Would fit the Beatlemania theme better, as well as fit with the cousin brucie clips better and the songs won't fade out and restart as awkwardly during modes, but still give you a taste of the stuff we all want (the later stuff). And the inserts would still match up with the songs, though that isn't really a big deal for me. Would make for a diverse game representing both eras.

I don't think most beatles fans really prefer one over the other. I never really listed to that stuff even though I recognized it was good and catchy. Part of the game that has been fun is really listening to that old stuff and seeing the quality of it. I don't think I'd ever even heard It Won't Be Long, cool song.

#52 3 years ago

The problem is there's only 9 songs in the game, so that would only really replace Help, Hard Day's Night, Can't Buy Me Love, and Taxman and you wouldn't hear them that often as they occur in the game rarely.

The match and beginning songs are only 5-9 second audio files and I stick them in as replacements for Ed Sullivan (beginning) and the match sequence "chords", so they don't play at any other times during the game.

#53 3 years ago

I've played all three versions and enjoy them all. I think the original Stern version largely made some good (If unconventional) choices, but it's nice to have variation and be able to mix it up, especially with a catalog as deep as theirs.

Of the remixes, I like the White Album version the best. I maybe wrong, but it seems to make better use of the faster and more upbeat songs, which given that this is pinball, makes a lot of sense. Multi-ball SHOULD be helter skelter, right?

Should there be new versions, one of later days rockers could work very well -- Get Back, The End, the tail end of Oh Darling, I Want You (maybe even just the guitars), Here Comes The Sun, I Me Mine, One After 909, Old Brown Shoe, Hey Bulldog, Don't Let Me Down...

But another version with early songs could be killer as well: Twist and Shout, Rock and Roll Music, I Wanna Be Your Man, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, I'm Down, She Loves You, Long Tall Sally, any number of others...

Anyway, thanks so much for the ones we have and I hope you don't mind my brainstorming!

1 week later
#54 3 years ago

Does anyone know if high scores remain when you switch sd cards back and forth or do they go back to default scores each time you swap an SD card and turn on the game?

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Does anyone know if high scores remain when you switch sd cards back and forth or do they go back to default scores each time you swap an SD card and turn on the game?

Each card is a complete reset, but each card retains it's settings. For instance, any custom settings you may have (headphone control, knocker, ball save time, custom message, etc) are reset to default for each new card. But once you change the settings (and start setting new high scores) the card retains those settings and new high scores.

The different mixes do not share high scores and settings, but retain their own.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Each card is a complete reset, but each card retains it's settings. For instance, any custom settings you may have (headphone control, knocker, ball save time, custom message, etc) are reset to default for each new card. But once you change the settings (and start setting new high scores) the card retains those settings and new high scores.
The different mixes do not share high scores and settings, but retain their own.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping.

#57 3 years ago

Just want to reiterate how awesome these alternative mixes are!

They really help keep the game fresh and it’s just big fun having 4 alternate soundtracks to swap around on this great game.

Thanks Jason! I owe you a beer. Well I guess three beers.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just want to reiterate how awesome these alternative mixes are!
They really help keep the game fresh and it’s just big fun having 4 alternate soundtracks to swap around on this great game.
Thanks Jason! I owe you a beer. Well I guess three beers.

Same here. And it's so easy to go back and forth between the mixes, too.

The last time I used pinball browser, it required a complete code update with USB to see the change. Not necessary with Spike games. Just swap the SD card and you're done . It's perfect.

#59 3 years ago

I made a temporary trade of Beatles for Stern Star Trek Premium over the weekend. I put the factory mix back in, but included all 3 remixes by @vongator in an SD case in the coin box.

#60 3 years ago

Really diggin the White Album mix, but my kids prefer Sgt. Pepper. Awesome to have the different options!!

#61 3 years ago

Is there any talk of anyone doing different alternative translites for the different mixes?

#62 3 years ago

I really appreciate everyone's kind words. I use other pinsiders' sound mods, images, videos, tutorials, advice etc. all the time and I'm simply happy to be able to give back to the community a bit.

1 month later
#63 3 years ago

I now own a Beatles pin and can’t wait to check these out.
Our internet sucks here at the house because we’re out in the sticks, so I’ll download tomorrow when I’m in the office.

I can honestly say that this thread pushed me over the edge and convinced me to get one of these pins.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I now own a Beatles pin and can’t wait to check these out.
Our internet sucks here at the house because we’re out in the sticks, so I’ll download tomorrow when I’m in the office.
I can honestly say that this thread pushed me over the edge and convinced me to get one of these pins.

You won’t regret it. Great game.

#65 3 years ago

I’m still having a blast with this game, but that left outlane is singularly brutal! I find the ball rarely finds its way into the inlanes. Even when the ball feeds the left inlane from behind the FAB targets it often finds its way into the outlane. Is this normal? I have the game leveled and at the recommended pitch (middle of bubble level—about 6.7 degrees), so I don’t think that’s the issue.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from VonPinball:

oga83 recently released version 7.03 of PinballBrowser and it is an amazing upgrade that now allows you to replace video assets! I highly recommend checking it out and playing around with it. It's very easy to use.
I've always wished Stern had gone with the "later" Beatles and I went a little wild with it the past week or so with a Sgt Pepper re-theme and replaced all the songs and video assets in the game!
I'm not a graphic designer by any means, but the videos replacements turned out well. I'll be making some further tweaks in the coming weeks as I collect notes and I may change or tweak a song, but it's fun to play for now!
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Retheme:
Drive Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m5LXJ8cjJrJjH4IOl8nA8jgBBQ-1dFld/view?usp=sharing
Here's a video of me playing a game that gets through to the "Taxman" (Sgt. Pepper) multiball:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/579386834
Taxman - Sgt Pepper (reprise)
All My Lovin - Lucy In the Sky w/ Diamonds
Drive My Car - Good Morning
Ticket to Ride - When I'm 64
It Won't Be Long - Lovely Rita
Should Have Known Better - Getting Better All the Time
Help - Little Help From My Friends
Hard Days Night - Sgt Pepper
Can't Buy Me Love - Day in the Life
The White Album Retheme:
Drive Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Heb_nA6Tf98RC9TiUHo3MFsxK1zuMgo4/view?usp=sharing
Taxman - Helter Skelter
All My Lovin - Back in the USSR
Drive My Car - Revolution
Ticket to Ride - Why Don't We Do It In the Road?
It Won't Be Long - Ob La Di, Ob La Da
Should Have Known Better - Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Help - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Hard Days Night - Glass Onion
Can't Buy Me Love - Martha My Dear
Revolver Retheme:
Drive Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XOJvmlclf2rM-vs_16vJbTP8NCGDeIA0/view?usp=sharing
Taxman - uhhh...Taxman...
All My Lovin - Yellow Submarine
Drive My Car - Doctor Robert
Ticket to Ride - And Your Bird Can Sing
It Won't Be Long - Good Day Sunshine
Should Have Known Better - Got to Get You In To My Life
Help - Eleanor Rigby
Hard Days Night - Want to Tell You
Can't Buy Me Love - I'm Only Sleeping
You'll need to flash an SD card (I recommend a class 10 with min. 16gb) using etcher (https://www.balena.io/etcher/) or some alternative. After that, just turn off the game, swap out the SD card in your backbox with this one, turn it on, and you'll be ready to go. If you want to change back, just put the old SD card back in!
I also did this with the Beatles Gold code, so I am not sure if it will work in a Platinum or Diamond...
A big thanks again to oga83, I recommend everyone give Pinball Browser a shot and play around. It's very intuitive and for $20.00, it's one of the cheapest mods on the market!

Yes, I would have preferred the theme be the Beatles during their entire tenure, and as well, not having just a few songs be the stages; it would have been better to have the stages, be such there is one for each Beatle, and then one for George Martin

3 weeks later
#67 3 years ago

Has anybody else had issues getting these to work? I downloaded each, using the link. They were all surprisingly the same exact size (7.86 GB). They all saved as .raw files. Then I flashed each to their own 10 class 32gb SD card. When I pulled out the original SD card from the machine and replaced it with one of the new ones, it just kept saying restarting game right after I turned on the machine. Slowly, over and over again, it just says restarting game? Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

#68 3 years ago

I thought all stern spike2 games use the .spk extension. Sounds like your files were saved in the wrong format.

Correction: looks like etcher can flash a disk image in the .raw format. Nevermind! Did you try flashing this image with etcher?
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Has anybody else had issues getting these to work? I downloaded each, using the link. They were all surprisingly the same exact size (7.86 GB). They all saved as .raw files. Then I flashed each to their own 10 class 32gb SD card. When I pulled out the original SD card from the machine and replaced it with one of the new ones, it just kept saying restarting game right after I turned on the machine. Slowly, over and over again, it just says restarting game? Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

You need to burn it to an SD card as a disk image, not just copy it over. There are multiple utilities to do this. I do it on a mac without any extra software to do this go to the terminal prompt:

% diskutil list

Find the drive that represents the SD card. For this example we will say it is /dev/disk4

% sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4

Copy the image to the SD card, for the if= part use the path to your actual file and of course the output file (of) should match your SD card address, note that it now has a 'r' in front of it:

% sudo dd bs=1m if=/Users/username/Downloads/beatles-1_10_0.WhiteAlbumBeta.8G.sdcard.raw of=/dev/rdisk4

This takes about 10 min

% sudo diskutil eject /dev/rdisk4

Then remove the SD card and use it.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I thought all stern spike2 games use the .spk extension. Sounds like your files were saved in the wrong format.
Correction: looks like etcher can flash a disk image in the .raw format. Nevermind! Did you try flashing this image with etcher?
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Yes, I used etcher to flash the file to an SD card.

3 weeks later
#71 3 years ago

I am not able to get these running either. I have a 64gb microsd card using a sd card adapter. When I load one of the custom raw files, the game just cycles through the restarting game message and doesn't boot. I thought it was the sd card, but a stock image works just fine on this card. All were made with the etcher software.

1 week later
#72 3 years ago

It looks like my issues was with the balenaetcher program. I tried multiple times with three brand new sd cards. I was able to get it to work with this instead of etcher:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Credit to toddsolus for his post indicating this program worked for him.

I am not sure the exact issue with etcher. I was able to use it to write the stock stern beatles raw image as well as the JP prem/le code with success. These beatles images just did not work with that program. With the Win32Diskimager I had success with the revolver image and will try the others as well to verify.

Thanks!

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

It looks like my issues was with the balenaetcher program. I tried multiple times with three brand new sd cards. I was able to get it to work with this instead of etcher:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
Credit to toddsolus for his post indicating this program worked for him.
I am not sure the exact issue with etcher. I was able to use it to write the stock stern beatles raw image as well as the JP prem/le code with success. These beatles images just did not work with that program. With the Win32Diskimager I had success with the revolver image and will try the others as well to verify.
Thanks!

This was Super Helpful. Thanks. Also, I can confirm these awesome code packages work with... ah... all versions. Ahem. ((Clears throat and tries to act nonchalant))

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

This was Super Helpful. Thanks. Also, I can confirm these awesome code packages work with... ah... all versions. Ahem. ((Clears throat and tries to act nonchalant))

Glad you got it working!

1 week later
#75 3 years ago

my internet connection keeps resetting every time I try to download such large files so I contacted von and he was willing to send me the chips. much appreciated!

So I have been playing the 4 chips (3 of his plus the original) for a bit and I find that I don't play sgt. pepper as much as the others. It is not that I don't like those songs, it is just that they feel too slow for pinball. At least half of them anyway.

I like the idea of limiting the mix to a particular album but maybe in this case it would have been better to go with a theme. For example: early stuff, later more ricking stuff, the acid trippy stuff, the blues-y stuff.

I am actually playing with pinball browser right now and swaping a few songs out. It is really great fun and since von already did the heavy lifting with changing the videos, it makes it much easier.

#76 3 years ago

Yeah the stock mix is so high energy!

That said I love being able to swap out albums. And mad respect to @vongator for taking to time to actually update the song title animations and videos.

Personally I think a compilation of deep cut bangers would be amazing. Wait, do the Beatles actually have any deep cuts?

IDK, maybe just a compilation of all of the most energetic tracks across all eras would be pretty cool!

#77 3 years ago

Put together a doodlepoll of like 20 songs and let them duke it out! Maybe a post Beatles solo career cut too.

Also... GorillaBiscuits ... you think I could borrow your escalera...?

#78 3 years ago

Needs more Paperback Writer!

1 month later
#79 3 years ago

Vongator,

I'm so impressed with the work you did on these Beatles Rethemes!!!I just got my Beatles Gold and I'm so happy to have some more choices.

I've made all three SD Cards.

Are you planning on doing some more albums in the future? That would be AWESOME!!!

Is there anyway that the videos can be stretched slightly fill the whole TV frame?

Are you working to improve these further? If so, I've got tons of Rare Beatles Video Footage with Sound!!!

Thanks again,

David

#80 3 years ago

I’m psyched to try this, but a bit apprehensive. Is it as simple as downloading the .raw file and flashing it? Will it work with win32imager, or do I have to use escher(sp?). I imaging all custom settings and scores will go away when I reboot with the new card, right? Is this similar to what Tim has done on the JP machine? So many questions, sorry1

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

I’m psyched to try this, but a bit apprehensive. Is it as simple as downloading the .raw file and flashing it? Will it work with win32imager, or do I have to use escher(sp?). I imaging all custom settings and scores will go away when I reboot with the new card, right? Is this similar to what Tim has done on the JP machine? So many questions, sorry1

I used the win32imager as balena didn't work for me. Yes all settings get reset. Put the image on A spare card and you can always revert back to stock with your settings.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Use pinball browser. Works every time

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

This is the exact same process as the JP. It is as simple as Dl/Flash. Your settings and high scores "go away" with the new card, but they are stored on the old card, so when you swap it back, the settings should remain. Keep 4 separate SD cards and they will each keep their own high scores and settings. I would recommend using win32imager. It seems there's more and more people having issues with Etcher.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from djpro:

Vongator,
I'm so impressed with the work you did on these Beatles Rethemes!!!I just got my Beatles Gold and I'm so happy to have some more choices.
I've made all three SD Cards.
Are you planning on doing some more albums in the future? That would be AWESOME!!!
Is there anyway that the videos can be stretched slightly fill the whole TV frame?
Are you working to improve these further? If so, I've got tons of Rare Beatles Video Footage with Sound!!!
Thanks again,
David

I'll be honest, I haven't revisited the project much in the past few months...Going through some other stuff right now, but maybe in the future, though probably will do mixes vs. albums.

I highly recommend getting PinballBrowser and trying your hand at it!

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from VonPinball:

I'll be honest, I haven't revisited the project much in the past few months...Going through some other stuff right now, but maybe in the future, though probably will do mixes vs. albums.
I highly recommend getting PinballBrowser and trying your hand at it!

Remixes would be way cool!!!

I was looking at PinballBrowser and was having trouble with the ffmpeg. Couldn’t get it to work at all after downloading it and putting it in the root folder of the PinballBrowser program.

Are there any great tutorials for PinballBrowser? I’d love to play with it a bit!

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from djpro:

Remixes would be way cool!!!
I was looking at PinballBrowser and was having trouble with the ffmpeg. Couldn’t get it to work at all after downloading it and putting it in the root folder of the PinballBrowser program.
Are there any great tutorials for PinballBrowser? I’d love to play with it a bit!

For help w/ PinballBrowser I would recommend reading through this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

For ffmpeg, you should download the package, extract, then go to the "bin" folder and cut/paste ffmpeg/ffprobe to the root of PB.

1111 (resized).png1111 (resized).png1112 (resized).png1112 (resized).png
#87 3 years ago

[post deleted]
answered my own question

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from VonPinball:

This is the exact same process as the JP. It is as simple as Dl/Flash. Your settings and high scores "go away" with the new card, but they are stored on the old card, so when you swap it back, the settings should remain. Keep 4 separate SD cards and they will each keep their own high scores and settings. I would recommend using win32imager. It seems there's more and more people having issues with Etcher.

Ok, it was easy, and I have only one thing to say. THANK YOU!
The White Album mix is fantastic.

3 weeks later
#89 3 years ago

Still amazed how great this is. A Must for any Beatles owner. Thanks So much.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Still amazed how great this is. A Must for any Beatles owner. Thanks So much.

I have said this in other Beatles threads, just going to say it here again. If you have a Beatles pin get this and you will be a happy pinballer.
Thanks again VonPinball

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

I have said this in other Beatles threads, just going to say it here again. If you have a Beatles pin get this and you will be a happy pinballer.
Thanks again VonPinball

Happy to be able to give back to the community. I've used so many others' work! Hope you and Carol stay safe!

#92 3 years ago

Great work! This project inspired me to mess with my Aerosmith and it's definitely an interesting project.

#93 3 years ago

So I finally got around to trying this (did the White album mix) and it is amazing. SO fun... and really gives the pin a new lease of life after a year of the same toons. Thankyou so much VonPinball I'm sure you already know how to do it, but in the future if you ever need someone with audio production skills (ie sound editing, levelling, eq, mastering etc) Im happy to help. Thanks again

#96 3 years ago

this is a mix of mostly early songs. Not necessarily tied to a specific album as they released a bunch of singles in the early days that were not on an album. Wording not changed so uses all the original texts.

#97 3 years ago

took von's white and swapped out a few songs.

#98 3 years ago

so youtube blocked a bunch of the videos due to copyright. There was an option to mute the copyrighted sections so now some of the videos go silent here and there. bummer.

#99 3 years ago

I purchase new SD cards, I downloaded etcher, I downloaded using the link Sargent Pepper. Taken out original card and inserted new card. Game just keeps flashing Restarting Game. Inserted original SD card game plays fine. Instructions seem so simple what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballRockDude:

I purchase new SD cards, I downloaded etcher, I downloaded using the link Sargent Pepper. Taken out original card and inserted new card. Game just keeps flashing Restarting Game. Inserted original SD card game plays fine. Instructions seem so simple what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Try using https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

It's what Von recommended.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tinton Falls, NJ
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 39.00
$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Mead, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beatles-sgt-pepper-s-lonely-hearts-club-retheme/page/2?hl=joshpa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.