yeah-okay.gif
image (resized).jpeg
Beatles GC (resized).jpg
GUEST_893d72c0-87e3-4e8c-9d35-ec7d7868a198 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
a7c28730027d8d47732c5ff625e42adb00f359c8 (resized).jpg
142D5DDC-553F-42AD-BFA1-1AC4BDC42EE8 (resized).jpeg
D61F4BE7-EAB1-4858-9EC2-770D73405DD8 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If it isn't obvious, we (i.e. hardcore enthusiasts) are in the minority. Most people walking up to a pinball just want to have fun and bat the ball around. Pinball for most folks is more of an experience and less of a game. While we worship intricate rulesets, most folks are intimidated by them. The folks that designed Beatles are targeting the majority, not us. Had neighbors over this weekend and they loved/preferred it.
Music pins should celebrate the band/artist, and Beatles hit the mark.
snaroff

Reality is that Beatles does not appear to be selling to the masses (non-pinheads). Talk with distributors willing to share and they are all saying the same thing which matches what we are seeing on pinside. The Diamond editions have been deemed as "collectibles" for the non-pinhead hardcore Beatles fans out there and they bought them up at 25k. The platinums to a lesser extent. The golds are flat out not selling in any quantity worth note. When they are selling it is to pinheads that have the money and are buying for the pinball side of it.

At this point it is obvious Stern was pushing the limits to see what people would pay and they seem to have found it. Pinheads are unwilling to pay 8k for a non-limited/ non-collectible run of 1614 games at the base model.

They have steadily pushed PRO pricing up over a grand the past 3 years and figured with Beatles they could tack on an additional 2500 for the theme. It has not worked. These appear to not even be a blip on the radar of Beatles fan forums and 8k for something "not collectible" and "cost too much" ain't happening to the general public.

It was an interesting experiment and nobody can blame a company for trying to push the line, but it does not seem to have worked out in any fashion.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The two distro’s ive talked to several times over the couple weeks have insisted gold sales have exceeded expectation but platinum and diamond have not. This is the opposite of what your saying.
Back it up with pinside data on golds owned and operated and reported to be in collection. Last Wednesday 8-10 and this week up to 35 last I checked. So an increase of 25 in one week on pinside alone.
Small sample size as pinside is a small segment of community.
I’m not going to say they are flying of the shelf as they are pricey BUT I really don’t think they aren’t selling either.

that is a VERY small number in total, with the majority being operators that are going for the "I have a unique game" idea which can work for some locations for sure.

Reality is that Pinside numbers show Beatles is doing similar to what distributors have said.

The other main data point is the delay of Munsters official announcement to try and give Beatles more time.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So do you think the reason that 50 people have said "BEatles is fun...but it's not $8K worth of fun!!" is because they think they can will a lower, more acceptable price into existence if they say that enough?

no you hype beast Stern lover...

they are saying it is fun but not 8k of fun, because they are not willing to pay 8k for this stripped back money grab based on an antiquated music license with 50% of a handful of songs. I am not sure why you are so damn dense to understand that the game is selling poorly for a reason. They priced it TOO high!

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I've never said it will go that high. A few games do but those are not the norm. Most people are paying $7600 for them NIB so expect HUO to go for between $6500-$7200 which is inline with what all of the HUO games drop these days. I've never seen a stern dealer give a huge discount on NIB games though. You saw some nice discounts on KISSLE from one distro but even then it was only a few hundred lower then before and certainly not below cost. There's still some WWELE's around and no one seems to be worried about liquidating them either. Most distro's are pretty patient and also pretty stubborn and will sit on games for a long time before even considering selling at a loss. GOTG is another good example, most distro's still have LE's and some have a bunch of them. Call around and see if anyone is looking to sell them at a loss.

this is a PRO model. They will sell for what PRO models do of all other games in the secondary market.
Sorry, but that is just the reality of this over inflated "limited" gold on a hype license.

I was told they are obligated to make all 1614 of the gold editions so anyone thinking that these are ever going to be limited is mistaken.
Those are likely the same people that still believe 50% of every title goes overseas.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I guess BM66 premium was a pro to then

lol

nope, BM was offered as ONLY a premium and LE model.

Beatles was offered in pro, prem, and LE editions.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

premium, LE, SLE

Quoted from jgentry:

gold, platinum, and diamond

you seem to really be struggling with understanding this???

BM66 is actually different models...

Beatles is this >>>

Quoted from cooked71:

Beatles was offered in Pro Pro Pro models, with choice of price and trim color.

#151 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Does anyone have an official coil count yet?

only 14 plus 2 mag cores to bring it up to the standard PRO BOM model which seems to be 16 +/- 1

Quoted from jwilson:

"stripped down" on Pinside is "No ramps".

stripped down in this case means a mode based game with pretty basic code (lacking any depth on a mode based game is not great for many) with few callouts (besides the gobbly goock stuff you can barely understand) and pretty minimal flash or immersion.

This is also a reskinned game with a few very small adjustments to the game and they slapped on some art for the licence (not that they really were given the ability to change much anyway)

If any other modern game shipped with this "code complete" level of depth, people would call it stripped back also (with or without ramps)

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Not that this matters to me personally but isn't 1614 a small overall production cycle?

Some will tell you it is. Based on everything I see and observe 2000 is about average for a total run (Pro, Prem, LE) of every Stern title that sells well.

Really good ones will sell more over the course of 3+ years and vaults but that is the outlier with probably 3000 total (again that is PRO, Prem, and LEs).

Despite people liking to say Pinside is not indicative of the larger pinball world, the map feature here is a pretty solid indicator of sales. People like to track games (personal and on location) and even if you take a lower guesstimate that only 33% of all games are tallied here, that will give you some semblance of a logic guess at total number (I personally think closer to 50% of modern made games are tracked here and probably 85% of all modern route games).

Cross reference with other pinball map tracking sites and you can get an idea of the accuracy and quality of the data (pretty consistent).
Also toss in your feeling of how well games are received (watch the real hype, owners threads, general level of participation on topics with each new game) and things tend to match up well with guesstimates.

1 week later
#204 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I played beetles numerous times and it’s a much better game then Iron Maiden or Deadpool in my option a lot more fun

Did you buy one D?

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Stern does do a good job when it comes to licensing and using the assets in my opinion.

They typically do, but it the case of Beattles they really crapped the bed. The clipped too short songs and limited number of songs is REALLY BAD. It is obvious they skimped on the licensing and went for just good enough rather than really trying to hit it on the head.

Quoted from musketd:

No but I was totally surprised how much fun it is

I agree, fun to shoot on route, but also telling that you did not get one.

I will say I am even amazed at how bad sales appear.
It makes me wonder what happens down the road with so many distributors sitting on stock?

Will Stern allow them to drop prices? What can current owners expect from their distributors, if anything, if they drop well below current MSRP to get overstock sold?

I guess we saw something similar with WWE, but I get the impression there are way more Beatles in over stock than WWE even built.

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

So when you spoke to a child molester you got secret inside info on a game that wasn't approved or anything like what the licensor wanted the game to be. It all makes sense now.

Yes, it is no secret that JT was on this game and it was his dream theme. He spoke in depth about some of his design to sme people. It would have been a dramatically different game.

#234 5 years ago

The announcement of two distinct runs appears to have been another failed attempt of "better hurry up".

They wanted people to really have the sense that they better jump in quick to ensure they were able to get from the first thousand. Same thing with having all the distributors on here the first week talking about 50% going overseas and these are super rare and...

All seems to have been marketing.

I unders

#236 5 years ago

The announcement of two distinct runs appears to have been another failed attempt of "better hurry up".

They wanted people to really have the sense that they better jump in quick to ensure they were able to get from the first thousand. Same thing with having all the distributors on here the first week talking about 50% going overseas and these are super rare and...

All seems to have been marketing.

I undertand the concern over resale and thought that if they don't d the second run it could help your resale, but I think the hard reality is that if they are not selling at 8000 now, that you are not going to be selling them for 8000 later. If they made 800 golds and distributors are sitting on 400 pf them already unsold, then that is a ton of stock.

The price up front is really the whole thing holding this game back and the seconday market will likely reflect that. 6000 seems to be where most people that buy NIB would be interested in grabbing one.
Just based on comments here and talking with local collectors that have said that is their magic number.

I personally would likely buy at 6500 and be confortable selling for 5500 a year later.

#237 5 years ago

Sorry for cut post, pinside kept erroring

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The owner of the gold posted it in one of the 6 Beatles threads and the diamond/platinum the owner posted about as well because the price police were ragging on him.
Send them a PM, I’m sure they would be willing to disclose the prices.

Both games sold at a discount.
The gold for 100 under
The diamond for thousands less than what they sell on primary.

Quoted from Psw757:

Hard to follow this rationale. If dealers are sitting on 400 golds as you say. That means there are only 400 privately owned golds in the world. Hard to imagine much of a secondary market off of 400 or so machines. Supply and demand sets the market in this case maybe a couple hundred below NIB and maybe at the rate of one resell every 6-8 weeks or more.

That is the entire rationale, the demand is super low at 8k. It is not going to be better on a used game and nobody is only going to take one for a fewhundred less when they could go buy one of the many still NIB.

Quoted from iceman44:

I would doubt that a second run is going to get made at these prices even though $8k is just the stated price, not the real one.
Maybe they are required by contract to make them all? Who knows.
It's certainly why Stern has delayed announcing Munsters for as long as they possibly can.
Most people are holding their dry powder for that game and others coming down the road.
Stern wins either way.

I agree, at this point I don't think the secnd run gets made. At least not in Jan or Feb like they originally said. I could see them running more later in the year if distibutors are allowed to drop prices. there is incentive to get them all made even if it means dropping the price. All the costs are done at this point, better off to sell them all for less profit, sp when they need a line filler. I could also see this being the new reskin like WNBJM since they will have lots of parts left over. This of course also undermines any collectability snce there is bound to be other themes that will appeal to others, or better art, or hell they may even do a yellow sub verion, or white album. You just never onow with Stern and they will eventually erode all faith in coll ctability since they will rerun anything.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You underestimate the stubborn nature of modern monied pin collectors.
They aren’t going to sell an $8000 game got $6000. They just won’t do it. Would rather burn the games.

Sure they will. Space matters more than money. Just like 8k is a dropn the bucket to many, a 2k loss on a resale after you owned a game for a year is nothing for many also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
10,282 (OBO)
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tinton Falls, NJ
$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beatles-pinball-a-hit-?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.