yeah-okay.gif
image (resized).jpeg
Beatles GC (resized).jpg
GUEST_893d72c0-87e3-4e8c-9d35-ec7d7868a198 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
a7c28730027d8d47732c5ff625e42adb00f359c8 (resized).jpg
142D5DDC-553F-42AD-BFA1-1AC4BDC42EE8 (resized).jpeg
D61F4BE7-EAB1-4858-9EC2-770D73405DD8 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 5 years ago

If it isn't obvious, we (i.e. hardcore enthusiasts) are in the minority. Most people walking up to a pinball just want to have fun and bat the ball around. Pinball for most folks is more of an experience and less of a game. While we worship intricate rulesets, most folks are intimidated by them. The folks that designed Beatles are targeting the majority, not us. Had neighbors over this weekend and they loved/preferred it.

Music pins should celebrate the band/artist, and Beatles hit the mark.

snaroff

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Reality is that Beatles does not appear to be selling to the masses (non-pinheads). Talk with distributors willing to share and they are all saying the same thing which matches what we are seeing on pinside. The Diamond editions have been deemed as "collectibles" for the non-pinhead hardcore Beatles fans out there and they bought them up at 25k. The platinums to a lesser extent. The golds are flat out not selling in any quantity worth note. When they are selling it is to pinheads that have the money and are buying for the pinball side of it.
At this point it is obvious Stern was pushing the limits to see what people would pay and they seem to have found it. Pinheads are unwilling to pay 8k for a non-limited/ non-collectible run of 1614 games at the base model.
They have steadily pushed PRO pricing up over a grand the past 3 years and figured with Beatles they could tack on an additional 2500 for the theme. It has not worked. These appear to not even be a blip on the radar of Beatles fan forums and 8k for something "not collectible" and "cost too much" ain't happening to the general public.
It was an interesting experiment and nobody can blame a company for trying to push the line, but it does not seem to have worked out in any fashion.

I don't have access to Stern/distributor sales data, so who knows?

I think it's wrong to assume hardcore Beatles fans wouldn't consider an 8k Gold a "collectible". Collectors come in all shapes and sizes and it's wrong to assume only the rarest examples are worthy of collecting. If you are a collector and typically keep stuff "forever", it's not like you care about price appreciation or fluctuations. I bought what I thought looked best (the "Gold" Edition). Considering the number of Beatles fans worldwide, the "Gold" could be gobbled up if Stern & their distributors are successful selling to an outside-the-Stern-box crowd.

From my perspective, this deviation from the normal Stern formula was about going outside the box (retro design, software outsourced, etc.) and throwing the distributors a holiday "bone". Not merely about pushing the price envelope.

Without knowing the "margins", it's impossible to know how much of a "money grab" this is. To be honest, I could care less, but you and many others seem focused on pricing.

snaroff

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The two distro’s ive talked to several times over the couple weeks have insisted gold sales have exceeded expectation but platinum and gold have not. This is the opposite of what your saying.
Back it up with pinside data on golds owned and operated and reported to be in collection. Last Wednesday 8-10 and this week up to 35 last I checked. So an increase of 25 in one week on pinside alone.
Small sample size as pinside is a small segment of community.
I’m not going to say they are flying of the shelf as they are pricey BUT I really don’t think they aren’t selling either.

Interesting, and kind of supports my earlier assertion about non-pinheads being happy with "Gold" as a collectible.

I believe Beatles Gold will be successful if Stern and their distributors can reach the target community (of non-pinhead Beatles fans). If Stern really wants to reward distributors, they will spend more marketing $$ to help sell more the games!

I admit Beatles Gold won't be played by me as much as my other games, but I'm still happy with the purchase and know my neighbors/visitors will enjoy it! Not every game needs to cater to me

snaroff

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

All the new owners are going to say it’s the shit right now, it’s part of our pinball DNA. Sure it will flytrap catch non pinheads for a little while. But to seriously charge that amount of money for something so basic and stripped down is embarrassing. And yes I’m not rooting for this pin to do well since i would rather not see Stern pull this stunt again. (Flamesuit on!)

I remember when IM came out and EVERYONE was whining about how stripped down it was (yet prices skyrocketed when folks realized it was a fun/brutal game). No doubt Beatles is never going to compete with IM on gameplay, however the appeal of the band and cool retro design is why I took the plunge. And worse case, I sell it and lose 1k. Little difference from past NIB purchases. The Pinside obsession with prices is hilarious, since there are enough addicts to keep Stern in business. I use to talk tough about prices, but I've learned from experience that I still open my wallet for a hobby that interests me. Beatles may not be the most exciting game, but it interests me.

Oh yeah, it's BS that "it's part of our pinball DNA". Most folks see Beatles for what it is, and yes, everyone would love to pay less for their games!

snaroff

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Those Beatles fans appear to be stingy bastards...

I doubt it.

If Beatles sales stall, it's more likely that Stern marketing (and it's distributors) isn't reaching the target audience. If Stern could wave a magic wand and place all the Beatles Gold's in Apple Stores, they'd be sold in a heartbeat.

My first game was purchased in 2004, after seeing/playing it in a Sharper Image store (LOTR, 2004). "Dicks" sporting goods also had a TSPP at the time...right next to the ping pong tables!

Most folks outside our community don't even know pinball machines are still being created/manufactured.

snaroff

#183 5 years ago

My only issue is all the airballs and balls violently hitting the glass. I believe Stern is working on some plastic mods to solve the airball problems...has anyone else heard this? Any eta? If someone has come up with other remedies, lmk.

Thanks,

snaroff

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

I made this from a piece of lexan. No more airballs. [quoted image]

Sweet! I occasionally get them on the "FAB" targets as well. "1964" is already protected.

Don't know what's taking Stern so long on the kits...trying to limit my play until I have a solution (some of the airballs are pretty violent).

snaroff

#198 5 years ago

Changed out the 2.5" sling rubber for 2" Titans. Also added pink post/flipper rubbers. Game plays much smoother and the post rubbers don't have an effect on ball time (especially since the slings are more active with tighter rubbers).

snaroff

IMG_1053 (resized).jpegIMG_1053 (resized).jpeg
#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

This post not meant to offend any Beatles table owners. Just my impressions below:
Played Beatles for the first time last night and I must say I’m stunned that Stern/Kapow can sleep at night, after charging Charlatan prices for the Beatle/witch table. There is nothing to it? It’s the emporers new clothes syndrome all over again. Can’t everyone see that there is virtually nothing to this table? Boredom sets in after a dozen plays literally, in the way of game play.
The video clips of the Beatles are a joke. I saw on screen what I think was Paul, since the film lighting was so bad, you could hardly make out it was him. However the pop up graphics Stern created are nice.
Why would anyone pay an outrageous amount of money for this table ($8k)??? It honestly shouldn’t be sold for more than $3k to $3.5k, maybe $4k allowing for high license fees. The second hand market is not going to be kind to those that purchased this table.
After saying all that, in very small doses it is fun to play - occasionally. With only seconds played of each of the nine songs, they begin to grate on ones nerves, after hearing the same 40 seconds for the tenth time. And I’m a huge fan of those songs. The one caveat is the sound system Stern put on the table is its best feature. Maybe using the sound browser and adding full songs if possible, might help things out, but understand even if you do that, you’ll still only hear the programmed 40 to 60 or so seconds of a song.
So unfortunate that Stern/Kapow really blew this license, under the suspicious name of licensing fees. Honestly, the Beatles license the craziest, cheapest and simplist items, that it’s hard to believe it cost that much for licensing. Plain and simple, this was a blatant cash grab by Stern/Kapow. From this point forward, I will look sideways at anything Kapow has to do with Stern. Stern should not tarnish their reputation with this type of partnership. It’s not like Batman 66 that uses first class video clips and IP integration from the original show in abundance. That is a good example of how the Beatles table should have been done.
The emperor has no clothes on and is naked.

Wow...posting your wonderfully insightful editorial in multiple Beatles threads...you must really think it's important!

Absolutely nothing you've said about Beatles strikes a chord with me...and I'm not saying that to "defend my purchase". In fact, I own every Stern music pin and I'm plenty critical of other Stern releases. Most recently, IMDN (because the Premium/LE mechs are so poorly implemented). You'd think that inheriting a design from Keith would give them a leg up and really nail the implementation. Nah. From my perspective, THAT's a cash grab...improperly implementing an otherwise fine design. Shit, the shooter lanes don't even serve up the ball reliably! No service bulletin? Give me a break.

Yes, it's richly priced. Yes, it's not a deep game (like most/all 80's pins). The video clips and music aren't annoying at all...they are well done.

snaroff

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Clearly mechs cost a good chunk of cash; otherwise, stern wouldn’t be so skimpy with them. If JJP can produce games with as many mechs as potc at a similar price point, we can logically conclude that stern is bending the customer over. This doesn’t even include r&d expenses that JJP had to incur. Beatlewitch, while clearly fun, is flat-out over-priced. Just because something is fun, does not mean it’s automatically good value for the dollar market wise. Hey, my Jeep is fun to drive. Please pay my humv pricing.
- see name to the left

omg...now car pricing analogies? If cars were all priced based on BOM's, the spread between cars wouldn't be so dramatic. My Honda Civic Sport Touring has as much tech as cars that cost nearly double. People pay lots of money for labels/status...that's life.

Expensive BOM's don't necessarily make great games. Just to be clear...I don't think The Beatles is a ground breaking game. I think it's a fun, well-executed effort combining retro design with new tech. Other than having no ramps, the BOM is what you'd expect from Stern.

snaroff

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

My car analogy was fine while yours was not. You also left out R&D. Beatlewitch needed little to no pf development. I also said that the game is likely very fun as sea witch is a fun game. Beatlewitch just isn't worth the asking price considering mechs, toys and R&D. Sales are reflecting this. I'm sure Stern could make a fun game with one flipper and no other solenoids, but I doubt many would pay much for it. Beatles were a great band, but they're at the end of their business cycle. If the license is still crazy expensive, it's simply not worth it. Jjpotc may not be fun to some, but clearly they kill it on value for your dollar on all fronts, especially R&D.

Please stop arguing with me (or trying to convince me). I DON"T SET THE PRICES. I'm sorry you are offended by Stern's pricing on this game. I AM NOT.

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It’s no less for Pinball folk than SeaWitch from a players perspective and more fun than TNA in my opinion which is 6k+.

And with the exception of occasional airballs, it works! Unlike wonky, half-baked mechs on some recent Stern Premiums (IMDN captive ball, IMDN sarcophagus, KISS levitating ball). The effort to "dial in" some of the recent mechs is unacceptable...

snaroff

1 week later
#265 5 years ago

If you want to make Beatles a lot more challenging in a home environment, set "Choose Song At Ball Plunge" to "NO" (Feature adj. #8). This forces you to complete "FAB FOUR" to quality for a song (which will cause it to blink). Shooting the top loop will start the song.

Now try and complete all the songs!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

10,282 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beatles-pinball-a-hit-?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.