Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fleshwound.jpg
IMG_20150620_232655683_HDR.jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

I ended up talking to the op the next day when I went to play some other pins at his store/office/workshop. I mentioned it and he said it's not damage, spilled drinks, or anything like that. Just a defect in the pf, maybe missing the clear coat like someone said above. They're going to take care of it under warranty.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I TUMBLE MY BALLS. IF THERE ARE SMALL NICKS i WET SAND THEM THEN TUMBLE IN WALNUT SHELLS AND PURPLE POLISH

You play with your balls a lot

#53 4 years ago

They don't make them like they used to
I suspect this is due to using the stock Stern balls plus all the dents and nicks ST naturally gives balls if you don't protect against it. When The_Dude_Abides used to own ST he documented the problem areas in ST that chewed balls up and how to protect against it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pinballs-getting-torn-up

#54 4 years ago

Man that thing is a DISASTER

Has to be a nasty clear & ink defect.

Someone in another thread, I think a STL fella, said they saw a ST "losing its ink".

Was that dGoett who said it?

#55 4 years ago

Stern should provide some stickers to cover the wear.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

You never know if some "tech" decided it was a good idea to clean the playfield with paint thinner.
Then..... OOPS!
If you look at the blotches by the weapons targets, it looks like something was spilled on the playfield.

That was my thought. It's too clean overall to be wear. Probably applied something and forgot about it, and then wrecked it when it was cleaned off later. But I can't think of what would be in the typical Ops toolkit that would do this.

#57 4 years ago

Could be a stern test game.

#58 4 years ago

I knew that Stern was a little unhappy with their clear-coat, but that pic is ridiculous.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Stern should provide some stickers to cover the wear.

I see what you did there...

#60 4 years ago

It looks like someone cleaned the game with something they shouldn't have, like lacquer thinner or mineral spirits. No way that's just from wear.

#61 4 years ago

If that's the case how come the inserts still have their txt on them?

It looks way more like a surface prep issue with the wood

Quoted from Lermods:

It looks like someone cleaned the game with something they shouldn't have, like lacquer thinner or mineral spirits. No way that's just from wear.

#62 4 years ago

If it were rough or nicked balls wouldn't you expect to see more uniform/symmetrical wear around the slings?

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Flack:

If it were rough or nicked balls wouldn't you expect to see more uniform/symmetrical wear around the slings?

Yes, now that I look at it again it does look like someone spilled something corrosive on it. There are a bunch of little "drops" of wear spots in an almost perfect line moving away from the main wear blotch. Like someone spilled something and it dripped as they moved it away.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Flack:

Yup... and you'd also see this kind of wear on more EM's or more Gottlieb System 1's. Reason they don't wear like this is because the finish must have been different... EM's get blown out but in different ways... big spots of paint missing like this you mainly see on early bally's.

#65 4 years ago

My guess looking at the spots on the playfield....
Looks like oil or something was in the wood before it was silkscreened and cleared.
Thats seems the only way it would wear in spots like that. That would also make sence as the wood portion is bad and the inserts are ok.

Good if warranty is going to cover it. It should.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

and the inserts are ok.

The inserts appear to have chips out of them too.

I'd love to get my hands on that playfield....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside