• Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fleshwound.jpg
IMG_20150620_232655683_HDR.jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

This is at most a year and a half old, right? This location ST has survived a war, barely!

IMG_20150620_232655683_HDR.jpgIMG_20150620_232655683_HDR.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Some paint chips flaked of while I played

#4 8 years ago

That's crazy!!

#6 8 years ago

And let the conspiracy theories begin!

#7 8 years ago

So how many games are on it? I find that amount of wear hard to believe unless it is more than 100K. To me this playfield looks like the clear was defective...

#8 8 years ago

Couldn't tell you how many games. It's on location. I honestly did reach to open the coin door and boost the volume. Then I remembered I was not at home.

#9 8 years ago

It's starting to look better than the "artwork" it came with.

#10 8 years ago

Something tells me that machine has paid for itself.

#11 8 years ago

"It's only a flesh wound!"

fleshwound.jpgfleshwound.jpg

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Something tells me that machine has paid for itself.

I was going to say the same thing. It probably made enough to buy a couple new machines.

#13 8 years ago

Yikes. That doesnt look normal.

#14 8 years ago

That should NOT be happening after a year and a half...not even with a crapton of plays. Something went wrong with the clearcoat.

#15 8 years ago

What clear-coat... ...........Joey

#16 8 years ago

This is what happens when you use the Stern balls that come with the machine.

#17 8 years ago

You never know if some "tech" decided it was a good idea to clean the playfield with paint thinner.

Then..... OOPS!

If you look at the blotches by the weapons targets, it looks like something was spilled on the playfield.

#18 8 years ago

One nicked ball can do that in a few weeks of heavy play.

#20 8 years ago

100 grit balls, by Sandpaper Brand!

#21 8 years ago

no fucking way Dude! thats trashed, but maintained?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

no fucking way Dude! thats trashed, but maintained?

Yeah, that seems to sum it up. 100% maintained, just trashed pf. I guess you never know what it's been through. In a bar, is always possible that someone has smashed the glass and poured drinks on it. Who knows.

#23 8 years ago

The balls that came with my STLE were actually rusted, I wish I had taken a picture before I threw them out. There are $4700 - $7700 pins and they can't spend $7 on a nice set of balls?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

One nicked ball can do that in a few weeks of heavy play.

So how often should the balls be replaced and is it worth getting premium balls.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-SJ

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

So how often should the balls be replaced and is it worth getting premium balls.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-SJ

My understanding is don't get these for games with magnets.

Use the super shinny ones that PBL sells

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Use the super shinny ones that PBL sells

Are these the ones you mean?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

#28 8 years ago

I put silverjets in all my games as soon as I get them. I know peopke say not to use them in games with magnets. But I have never had an issue.

Sterns pinballs are garbage from new.

Star trek seems to beat up the balls pretty bad too.
I an on my 3rd set of silverjets since NIB.

2700 plays on my ST. So probably switched out  just under every 1000 games.

#29 8 years ago

My TSPP has a mechanical coin counter from when it was on route. Over 120,000 quarters/tokens ($30k wow) it took in. So you have to assume at least 60k plays + 10% replay and there is almost no PF wear.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I use the Super Shiny from Pinball Life.

I always replace them before and after a show, since that is the most a game will be played in a year.

But otherwise there is no set schedule. Games with metal ramps will chew up balls faster than an all plastic ramp game.

Examine your balls regularly.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

...giggle, giggle....

#32 8 years ago

Any more info regarding what caused some much wear or just presuming a ball issue

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

...giggle, giggle....

Jiggle, Jiggle....

#34 8 years ago

Holy crap! Sooooooo where is this on location??????

#35 8 years ago

I love working on older games, really old stuff and also the early SS stuff. You never see this kind of wear on the EM's, but you always see it on the early solid state ballys. You never see it on the Gottlieb System 1's... which might just be because nobody played them back in the day, I don't know.

I guess it just has something to do with the way the clear is done, which is probably similar to how it was done on the Ballys... seems like a fluke, though, because this is the only one we've seen this bad...

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I use the Super Shiny from Pinball Life.
I always replace them before and after a show, since that is the most a game will be played in a year.
But otherwise there is no set schedule. Games with metal ramps will chew up balls faster than an all plastic ramp game.

I TUMBLE MY BALLS. IF THERE ARE SMALL NICKS i WET SAND THEM THEN TUMBLE IN WALNUT SHELLS AND PURPLE POLISH

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I TUMBLE MY BALLS. IF THERE ARE SMALL NICKS i WET SAND THEM THEN TUMBLE IN WALNUT SHELLS AND PURPLE POLISH

Why? Isn't cheaper (manpower wise) to buy them new? I mean; $1 per premium ball?

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Hey, you don't have to get so worked up about it. It's just balls.

#39 8 years ago

I put my balls in a plastic bag with pink cookies....then I crush them with buildings...!!!................Joey

#40 8 years ago

I'd love to know the number of plays on that. As much of a bad rap as they get, the early 2000's Sterns seem to wear like iron. I've seen absolutely filthy, hammered RBION's and POTC's that look like they'd clean up nice.

Now I'm seeing later HUO games with alarming wear, like paint flaking off around magnets. As much as I enjoy my Metallica and ST Pro, I look at the plastics and lighting (with the apparent quality of Chinese Christmas lights) and I'm amazed any new Stern on location doesn't look like this poor Star Trek.

#41 8 years ago

That is some serious wear, holy cow. I'd also love to know how many plays are on that game.

#42 8 years ago

No idea how many plays, but I'll ask this...

What if it was 50,000 plays? And the game has paid for itself multiple times over? Isn't that how it should work? Op got a great ROI, and junks the game and buys a new one from Stern.

It might be painful for us to look at, but if the game literally got played to hell, and the economics worked out.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

No idea how many plays, but I'll ask this...
What if it was 50,000 plays? And the game has paid for itself multiple times over? Isn't that how it should work? Op got a great ROI, and junks the game and buys a new one from Stern.
It might be painful for us to look at, but if the game literally got played to hell, and the economics worked out.

Well yeah, but I think the concern is that it ISN'T 50k plays. If it is, awesome! ROI success! But if it's got a few thousand plays, it probably hasn't paid for itself...

#44 8 years ago

I think the best question is what would this thread be like if this was a JJP game on location with the same plroblem

In all seriousness I have seen several ST pros on location and all looked nice still. I don't think it could have had enough plays to do this already. Either a ball is damaging it or there is a defect on this playfield or someone spilled something on it. If the machine was somewhat maintained there is no way it should have damage like this without some other story behind it.

#45 8 years ago

I was at Universal in FL last week and they had a new Star Trek in the arcade there. It was in nice condition but on both sides of the slingshots had wear spots already.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Do this when in the shower right?

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

the missus can do that.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

This is at most a year and a half old, right? This location ST has survived a war, barely!
IMG_20150620_232655683_HDR.jpg

but no broken plastics. : P

#49 8 years ago

If a gouged ball was doing this, shouldn't the wear be a lot more consistent? I'd at least expect both sling areas to have somewhat uniform wear since they see about equal action. This looks like a playfield defect that probably started small and just kept wearing outward.

#50 8 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beat-up-st-wow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.