20200628_090110 (resized).jpg
FLS0044_Glen E. Friedman (resized).jpg
pink-floyd-back-catalogue-collector-print-1.133 (resized).jpg
9D7FC1E2-88D3-41FF-BED2-EF65E17FE4FA (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
images(2).jpg
Black-Sabbath-Large-Wallpaper (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 3 years ago

Most bands around long enough to get in this conversation have some pretty shitty years/decades we charitably overlook. The ones that don't just made the same record a dozen times.

I like music too much to name a single best band, but my fingers would go numb typing a list of best albums, singles, shows, etc.

In closing, I would just like to say the Doors are terrible. Thank you.

#152 3 years ago

The doors could swing from great (LA Woman) to terrible...

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

The doors could swing from great (LA Woman) to terrible...

That would be the drugs coming out.

#154 3 years ago

Grand Funk did great for a three piece band and no mixing. I know they added more later on. But the one I started the thread with is live.

#155 3 years ago

I thought the answer was supposed to be Wyld Stallyns?

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I DO.
Deicide in there too.

I’d be surprised if most of the people in this thread even know of the band Deicide without having to google it.

It’s not like say Metallica where people have heard or seen the name or recall oh yeah, that one song they play at the sporting events.

I don’t think anyone even just stumbles across a Deicide song and it’s not like the Hollywood crowd who wants to appear hip and edgy by wearing an Iron Maiden Killers shirt is going to find a Deicide shirt at Macy’s

#157 3 years ago

Black Sabbath. Most influential band of all time, literally created metal.

#158 3 years ago

And in the spirit of the conversation, if I have to pick ONE band, it’s Black Sabbath.

#159 3 years ago

I'm sticking with my initial response (Queen) but let me throw this out there:

Jurassic 5.

"Power in Numbers" is a near-perfect album and "Quality Control" is amazing as well.

#160 3 years ago

It was hard to not put Jurassic 5 in my top 5.

#161 3 years ago

11). CCR
12). Cream
13). Blind Faith
14). Bob Seger & the SBB
15). Anything with Joe Bonamassa in it...

Folks, there would be no chance to have a list like this without the Beatles and Stones.

#162 3 years ago

Spotted on Long Island last night...

I do love queen but I don’t think they are strong enough for “best band” consideration. Most of their albums are brilliant singles and naff filler, and they have some truly awful albums.

E570E6D8-F863-4E29-8B8E-07DECDFD0AC9 (resized).jpegE570E6D8-F863-4E29-8B8E-07DECDFD0AC9 (resized).jpeg
#163 3 years ago

How bout they scrap the licensing for awile and put out new original titles that make pins affordable again .Theres a whole crop of new guys I’ll bet are chompin at the bit to throw some ideas around .Lets see what they got !

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

How bout they scrap the licensing for awile and put out new original titles that make pins affordable again .

A license not being used, won't make much of a price difference. Approx. $50 a game.

LTG : )

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A license not being used, won't make much of a price difference. Approx. $50 a game.

No kiddin ...I thought would be a lot more depending.Still wouldn’t you like to see some fresh ideas .

#166 3 years ago

It’s like movies they keep remaking what worked years ago .Same actors,same story .I dunno just my opinion .

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

FIFTY DOLLARS!!! Well that settles it for me...only original themes from here on out...

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

How’s your hearing? My friend used to travel around to Rush concerts and now he’s half deaf.

My hearing is still good and I am missing more than a few of these

72AEEDBB-9B2B-41A3-B491-D25D2081C92C (resized).jpeg72AEEDBB-9B2B-41A3-B491-D25D2081C92C (resized).jpeg
#169 3 years ago

Sorry...what was that?

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Still wouldn’t you like to see some fresh ideas .

Every time a company announces an unlicensed game, all heck breaks loose.

And can hurt sales. A manufacturer calls up a European distributor and says we have a licensed title coming out - they order two containers full. Tell them it's unlicensed and they say send one or two games.

Everybody wants an unlicensed title, until it's announced.

You have to change that first.

#171 3 years ago

Definitely Guns’n Roses.

#172 3 years ago

Green Day.

#173 3 years ago

I listen to just about everything but several years ago, the Dead found me and setup shop in my head. By far my favorite band.

#174 3 years ago

What took you so long

#175 3 years ago

left field, fave band since 1985 has been queensryche. even flew sydney, australia to seattle to see them live in their hometown in 2005

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

[quoted image]

GilMour had an affair with the Brunette 2nd from the right

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

My hearing is still good and I am missing more than a few of these
[quoted image]

Love RUSH too. Saw them In concert 9 Times while growing up in Mi back in the 70s. 1st time was in a bar in Lansing, still have a pick and broken drum stick. 1st saw Cheap Trick in the same bar. Good old days when concert tickets were $5.50

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Spotted on Long Island last night...

Disgraceful spelling, but love it.

#179 3 years ago

Queen & it will be the next music pin from Stern
Well here’s hoping

#180 3 years ago

How about Ratt? They are now making Geico commercials.

#181 3 years ago

I know The Beatles were mentioned a lot already and im going to jump in with that crowd, but just to point out the fact that they pumped out so many albums and hits that are still timeless songs, the degree of impact and influence, and the fact they did all of what they did commercially in just 5 years.

There are a lot of other amazing bands but its hard to compare to The Beatles

#182 3 years ago

"Best" based on popular opinion, popular influence, innovation: The Beatles

"Best" based on fan dedication, influence on actual musicians, instrument mastery: Rush

#183 3 years ago

If Rage Against the Machine didn’t break up, I think they would be in the running. I was pretty excited about the new tour. With that being said, it’s hard to argue with Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd. What about the Rat Pack? Frank Sinatra? Coltrane and Monk? I’ll also throw out anything that Jack White is involved with.

#184 3 years ago

The Grateful Dead! I saw them in concert about 50 times and they were just an amazing band to see and to be associated with. I’ve also seen 311 about 50 times and they are my favorite band over the last 20 years so it was hard for me to choose. Honorable mention to The Strokes, Pink Floyd and the Jimi Hendrix experience.

#185 3 years ago

Most of my other favorites have been mentioned here already (many of them repeatedly, and deservedly so).

Maybe not the "best", but a fantastic songwriter and criminally underappreciated - Warren Zevon.

Most that do know him only know Werewolves of London. He wrote that song as a bit of a goof, and it's not near the top half of stuff he's written. The self-titled album is a good place to start. 'Desperadoes under the eaves' and 'The French Inhaler" are masterpieces.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Most that do know him only know Werewolves of London. He wrote that song as a bit of a goof, and it's not near the top half of stuff he's written.

Maybe a goof, but it has the single greatest lyric of all time: "little old lady got mutilated late last night."

*chef's kiss*

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Maybe a goof, but it has the single greatest lyric of all time: "little old lady got mutilated late last night."
*chef's kiss*

It definitely does give a bit of a taste of his sardonic tone.

#188 3 years ago

Pretty much everybody I know went through a 6 week “Rush Phase” in high school, including me, but I don’t see them as a serious part of this discussion. The songs aren’t there, Lee’s voice is an acquired taste to be charitable, and women HATE this band. There’s almost no mass appeal for Rush.

They had a great career and did wonderful things for Canada’s image among a certain age group but I cannot approve of that kind of praise for them!

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty much everybody I know went through a 6 week “Rush Phase” in high school, including me, but I don’t see them as a serious part of this discussion.

They were a smidge before my time, but yeah, I always wonder when people haven't outgrown Rush, what else are they hanging onto? Tighty whities, pentagram earrings, big league chew?

Trying to decide if my generation's Rush was Dream Theater or Primus. One had the pretentious wanker "musicianship," the other a prominent bassist with an unbearably nasal whine.

#190 3 years ago

Best band not mentioned so far is Little Feat

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

"Best" based on popular opinion, popular influence, innovation: The Beatles
"Best" based on fan dedication, influence on actual musicians, instrument mastery: Rush

Ooh! You were so close! But the correct answer to the second set of criteria is Steely Dan.

#192 3 years ago

Led Zeppelin

71D19572-3BCA-4674-B910-4249CC12795A (resized).png71D19572-3BCA-4674-B910-4249CC12795A (resized).png
#193 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ooh! You were so close! But the correct answer to the second set of criteria is Steely Dan.

Hear! Hear!

#194 3 years ago

The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.

#195 3 years ago

Mitch.
Noel.
JMH.
period

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.

With Frank its tough to beat.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#197 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

With Frank its tough to beat.

Gene Krupa vs. Buddy Rich on drums is a debate that still lingers.

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Gene Krupa vs. Buddy Rich on drums is a debate that still lingers.

Buddy Rich wins that all day in my opinion. I thought Sinatra’s albums towards the end of his career with Count Basie were pretty incredible. Sinatra At The Sands in particular.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from Spagano314:

Buddy Rich wins that all day in my opinion.

Let's find out.

#200 3 years ago

What's amazing is Buddy Rich went and got younger. Like Gene might have inspired him

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beat-band-of-all-time-/page/4?hl=noob-a-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.