(Topic ID: 60409)

BDK - Would Mr Lyman return in his own time to over look again?

By Squizz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by John1210
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0977.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider squizz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

As Was posted over a year ago by Pinballcorpse:

BDK is a fun game. I think it suffered at the beginning from the incomplete basic code and no wizard mode coded yet trend Stern was on at the time. Lyman deserves a lot of credit for coming back to the game well after the fact to make it, as he says, "more fun."

The front end candy enjoyment in BDK revolves around the crane, I think that is obvious to everyone. So the key to enjoying BDK is to stack the crane with as much as you can. The 3rd wave of the crane is a blast! The crane can be stacked with Joker multiball of course but you must start crane first then Joker multiball. The crane can also be used with Batpod multiball and can be stacked with the miniwizard mode Bat Signal multiball. You can triple stack the multiballs if you like (Scarecrow, Joker, Batpod)

The key to scoring big in BDK is the multipliers. At the beginning of the game you can go for basic 2x scoring feature, or live it up and try for the 3x scoring feature by holding in your left flipper. On top of that you have the playfield multipliers worth 2x per lit shot and then the roving 3x shot.

The Gotham City wizard mode did not exist in the early coding. It was an award of 100MIL, and that's it. Nothing else, sorry, thanks for working this hard, see you later. It is now present and the wizard mode is enjoyable and has goals that need to be accomplished. Massive improvement. Again, thanks to Lyman.

One weakness in BDK is the inordinate amount of shots needed to finish Lucius on factory settings. It is almost assured that Lucius will be the last insert lit. Every other goal is much easier to finish and there is nothing particulary challenging about Lucius, it is just tedious. So to solve that, the difficulty should be adjusted down one level to balance it out. It can be argued here that this goes against the grain of wanting to beat the game on factory. So let me state, I have gotten the wizard mode on factory several times, but Lucius is just way way too unbalanced for no good reason, so I changed it. Also don't forget to hit the Gordon targets to make getting through the gadget stages faster. (Think how the souls on POTD/LOTR work)

The other weakness in BDK are the modes. Nothing special, and you realize finishing Bruce Wayne is just a means to an end. There is no compelling reason to play or win the modes. No modes need to be won for any reason. Just play all 4, get your lit insert and move on.

There are some complaints about the toys on BDK. The crane is the big show and is darn cool. I like the Joker reveal coffee can for what it does and never really thought that it was bad despite the online griping I read about stating how cheesy it is. It conveys your different multiball stages just fine. A player knows exactly where they are in the multiball. The teeter ramp is just a fancy ramp transfer that did not pan out the way they wanted. Granted you can't see the Batmobile, but the method works fine and does not make the game bad.

Bowen Kerins had posted a video about how to get a Billion points on BDK by starting Batmobile hurryup and just hitting the right orbit over and over. While on the surface it seems easy-all you gotta do..., it is not, and it is more of a novelty trick rather than any serious way to play the game. There is a Batmobile hurryup award you can try for.

In summary the BDK game is quite fun, but like most Sterns or any game, there are some things that could be better. As usual, the best bet is to play the game and explore, not trust that someone says it stinks or is the best game ever.
end Quote

Bowen Kerins BDK Video
http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/batman-dark-knight/

I love my Batman the Dark Knight machine! running V2.94
and was really wondering if Lyman would re look into this code to maybe up the anti a bit more?
We all know he had a lot of love with Spiderman, and well have fingers crossed that maybe he might look again into BDK......

P.s I did hear that there was another version other than 2.94 in the works, or was seen on another machine (The cheaper Costco version)

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from bmunn1:

Kickstarter project if Lyman's interested?

I'm quite sure if Lyman was interested and wanted X amount for his time, I'm sure we could get enough for the project

#19 10 years ago

Darn, thought there might have been a bit more love for BDK.
Hopefully some one can whisper in Mr Lymans ear for a present.

#22 10 years ago

Thank's Sunfox.
It must have been the V3.00 on the Costco version that I remembered someone telling me.
Well we can only hope that Mr Lyman will enter back into the Batcave and surprise us all.
can only hope.

1 month later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider squizz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bdk-would-mr-lyman-return-in-his-own-time-to-over-look-again?tu=squizz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.