Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by goatdan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I am thinking of adding a BDK & RBION (more on the RBION in a future thread) to my lineup of LOTR, FGY & TSPP.

For this particular thread I wanted to ask if anyone would like to share their praises or pitfalls of BDK.

From the Pinside reviews BDK sounds like a fun, easy & multiball heavy game with great deep color palette eye candy but less than stellar sound clips. I think those attributes would lend well to my current lineup.

Any insight would be appreciated. I play one @ CP Pinball often & think it's cool but I'd like some feedback from those with solid exposure to the game.

#2 11 years ago

I really like it but your descriptions/summary above about nail it. Great looker and has some fun multiballs. To me the game is a little too easy although the crane definitely can send the balls wherever so it adds some more randomness to it. Sounds definitely lack a little in my opinion. I view mine not as a keeper but great fun for awhile and definitely glad I got it for now.

You got a Family Guy which I would trade a BDK for in a heartbeat. Why can I not find that game!?

#3 11 years ago

I bought a HUO FGY just 3 weeks ago from a collector in Denver LOL.

It wasn't for sale, his TSPP was. I asked what he had in his collection & then eventually sent a pic of $12,500.00 cash lined up on my floor for 3 of his machines. Eventually he got cold feet on 1 of the titles but I procured 2.

So if there is a lesson to be learned, send pics of a shitload of $100 bills to people who have the game you want.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I bought a HUO FGY just 3 weeks ago from a collector in Denver LOL.

How could you steal it from me in my own backyard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll have to remember the $100 bill trick, maybe I have a hot girl in a bikini rolling around in them too to help seal the deals.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I am thinking of adding a BDK & RBION (more on the RBION in a future thread) to my lineup of LOTR, FGY & TSPP.
    For this particular thread I wanted to ask if anyone would like to share their praises or pitfalls of BDK.
    From the Pinside reviews BDK sounds like a fun, easy & multiball heavy game with great deep color palette eye candy but less than stellar sound clips. I think those attributes would lend well to my current lineup.
    Any insight would be appreciated. I play one @ CP Pinball often & think it's cool but I'd like some feedback from those with solid exposure to the game.

Have you watched Bowen's tutorial on BDK? Lots of great information on rules and features of the game. (good and bad). Mine is not going anywhere.

#6 11 years ago

I really like BDK, and find myself playing it more than newer stern like Tron & TF. I don't find it overly easy myself, as the Batman missions are tough to get thru IMO. You have to get past the clunky voice work for sure...but that's not a big deal. I mean other than an angry bat yelling "JAAAACKPOTTTT" at you 1000 times a game

#7 11 years ago

You noted most of this already. VERY nice looking. Most of the toys are either dupes from other games (LOTR POTD?), wasted space (teeter totter and Joker can) or pretty awesome (crane)

For me, the worst part of the game is that it is a 1 ramp game.

If I could have a collection like say, Tatman, I would have kept it. In a 3 - 4 pin collection it just wasn't outstanding enough. FAR from a bad pin, though.....

#8 11 years ago

The crane is the best toy ever
    The right side of the playfield is exciting
    The center of the playfirld is good
    The left side is a wasteland, 6 targets, drawbridge does not affect game play, joker drum thing WTF???
    Voice acting is really bad

But I do like the game

#9 11 years ago

The crane is an awesome toy, but the game is very easy with long ball times. It's not one of my favorites, but I certainly don't hate it. I think it would fit in well with the other games in your collection. If you enjoy playing it and like the theme, I say go for it!

#10 11 years ago

My name is "thedarkknight" and I walked away from two games on that machine. Everyone has different tastes, but I did not like it, except for the crane.............The crane is fun.

#11 11 years ago

TDK is a decent game. It's not the best Stern nor the worst. It's basically an offshoot of the POTC ruleset with modes and score multipliers, but it's a much better game than POTC. The good:

1) crane is pretty awesome
    2) has really good multiplier strategy
    3) has good stacking and multiballs
    4) has a lot of different ways to get a high score

The bad:

1) the center ramp requires a stupid amount of shots by default. You need to turn it down in order to enjoy the game
    2) the modes all have the same shots. Pretty uninspiring.
    3) the voice work is pretty substandard
    4) the playfield layout is kind of iffy. The hurry up thing is kind of annoying after a while, the center ramp likes to center drain a lot, the POTD is as lame on Batman as it was on LOTR, the scarecrow shot needed an additional switch to tell bumpers vs shots, etc.
    5) Ball times are kind of long

It's a fun game, probably in the 2nd tier of Stern games (below TSPP, LOTR, SM, IM, TRON, etc, in the group with POTC, Elvis, RBION ). I owned one for about 4 months, played the crap of it. I liked it a lot but got to the point where all my games basically came down to hitting the center ramp over and over and over.

#12 11 years ago

I played a BDK on route and not sure the code, the op has a good reputation so I assume it was updated. My take away was that the ball times were insanely long, I got bored after a while.

#13 11 years ago

I traded my LotR for a BDK. With the right mods it's a beauty.
    The voice work is not so imoprtant for me as a german cause I don't know the real voices from the movie.
    The gameplay is great, but I turned down the required ramp shots. A few weeks ago I started to think about to trade it for something new. BUT I still play it alot and it's not growing old for me.
    So I think it's now a keeper for me. I think it's an unique game. But I won't have it as my only pin. It's great in combination. I now have a SM a AC/DC and this BDK and it works in this lineup.
    When I have enough SM or AC/DC I play BDK. And after BDK the others are great. For me BDK is realy good but only with the SM.

But there is just one thing that makes me angry about it. I still think about what a better game it could have been if there would be a new update with better modes. STERN and Lyman should take Spider Man as a standard how finished game code should be.
    If Lyman has not enough time for it, they should hire one more new programmer who could finish the job.

#14 11 years ago

The crane truly is the best toy ever. A lot of people really liked it after the latest code update, but I'm a weirdo that loved it before the code update, and now don't have nearly the same taste for it.

The crane is absolutely amazing though. If I had the space for one, I would totally own it just for the crane. It isn't on my short list of favorite machines, but that crane is easily on my short list of favorite toys.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bdk-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.