Topic Stats

• 208 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Gusphan
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 46 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

15365105811961088909509 (resized).jpg
IMG_1360 (resized).JPG
IMG_1357 (resized).JPG
20180809_224504 (resized).jpg
20180407_175724 (resized).jpg
20180407_151245 (resized).jpg
bbh (resized).JPG
IMG_1889 (resized).JPG
Buck Hunter Wiring (resized).jpg
20160711_201629_(resized).jpg
20160711_202029_(resized).jpg
20160711_201701_(resized).jpg
20160711_202009_(resized).jpg
20160712_101611_(resized).jpg
20160712_101645_(resized).jpg
BBH_switch_post_(resized).jpg

There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 3 years ago

Just picked up my BBH after looking for several years. Had to drive 8 hours to get it, but when you live in Florida.... South Carolina was the closest I have found in 3 years. Great machine that does not disappoint. Makes me laugh every time I hear a new call out.

The moving buck seems to make a lot of noise on mine, and sometimes seems like a pain in the ass to get to register shots on the far left hand side and far right hand side. Always seems to work in the middle though.... Thoughts?

I also noticed that the right hand side ramp was restricting the Elk from swinging back, so I had to raise that ramp. I will look to see if it is dragging on the PF.

I'm wondering if anyone has added a shaker motor, and if they had any pics of where and how it's done. Also, some have said just go with a bigger woofer. Any opinions on this vs. the shaker motor?

Also, if there were one weak spot on this game it would be the Translite, any other nice alternatives that anyone has seen or us using?

thanks, psyched for this club... been looking forward to getting in for some time. Glad to be here..

#102 3 years ago

Your questions will be answered by reading the thread. Congrats on the score SHOOT AGAIN!

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from Djude:

Just picked up my BBH after looking for several years. Had to drive 8 hours to get it, but when you live in Florida.... South Carolina was the closest I have found in 3 years. Great machine that does not disappoint. Makes me laugh every time I hear a new call out.

Glad you found one... I took mine with me out of FL It remains the most consistently loved and played game in my collection by visitors of all types. BBH's wizard mode "Open Season" is nearly as difficult as IM's DoD multiball, one of the rare games that's both fun for casual players and difficult for seasoned players. Anyone get to OS yet?

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Anyone get to OS yet?

Yep, with the glass off!

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Anyone get to OS yet?

Got there a couple of times, the blocking points are the 4th bird multiball & the Monster buck jackpot.

You really need to focus on starting the buck multiball, and then bringing in other multiballs to prolong it. Best is to set up Elk multiball (so only left loop is required to start it), start buck multiball then keep going for the bird standup to start bird multiball.
Once you've got the Monster Buck, it's just keep shooting for bird multiball over and over. As it's such a tight shot you're unlikely to get a lucky ricochet in there so that's got to be your focus.
Normally all of the other requirements just happen.

Happy shooting

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Your questions will be answered by reading the thread. Congrats on the score SHOOT AGAIN!

Thanks..... Here's the questions that weren't answered in the thread......

So, if I went with a shaker... does anybody have a pic of the inside of their cab that they can show me so I can get an idea of where to put it, and how to hook it up?

Also, does anyone have a problem registering hits at the top and bottom of the track, but it's fine in the middle. I'm wondering if it's just a sensitivity issue.... Don't really see how the wire could be broken, given that it still registers in the middle..

#107 3 years ago

Anyone else powder coat the armor? Ours is brown, it looks great!!

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from Djude:

Also, does anyone have a problem registering hits at the top and bottom of the track, but it's fine in the middle. I'm wondering if it's just a sensitivity issue.... Don't really see how the wire could be broken, given that it still registers in the middle..

Not sure on shaker as I have a speaker upgrade that makes it shake enough
I would tend to clean or rebuild the BUCK as most parts are readily available and the manual explains fairly well.

It is a very simple mechanism that can bend and/ or get dirty.

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Not sure on shaker as I have a speaker upgrade that makes it shake enough
I would tend to clean or rebuild the BUCK as most parts are readily available and the manual explains fairly well.
It is a very simple mechanism that can bend and/ or get dirty.

Excellent.. Thanks, When I bought it we completely tore down the mech and cleaned it.(lots of wax all over the switch assembly) which definitely helped, but still tougher to register shots at the top and bottom of the track. I had the glass off last night doing some lighting mods and I was messing around with it to see what kind of impact was needed to register a hit, and I think it may be a physics issue..... Tough to get enough velocity at the bottom of the track and at the very top to move it enough to trip the switch.

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from Djude:

Excellent.. Thanks, When I bought it we completely tore down the mech and cleaned it.(lots of wax all over the switch assembly) which definitely helped, but still tougher to register shots at the top and bottom of the track. I had the glass off last night doing some lighting mods and I was messing around with it to see what kind of impact was needed to register a hit, and I think it may be a physics issue..... Tough to get enough velocity at the bottom of the track and at the very top to move it enough to trip the switch.

It should register hits easily. I needs to be readjusted, or replaced with a new one from Stern. I had mine so sensitive it would register some times when buck stopped. Lol
Here's a good write up on making the buck more sensitive:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bbh-making-the-buck-more-sensitive

When you buy a Stern shaker motor it comes with all the directions you need to hook it up.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

It should register hits easily. I needs to be readjusted, or replaced with a new one from Stern. I had mine so sensitive it would register some times when buck stopped. Lol
When you buy a Stern shaker motor it comes with all directions you need to hook it up.

Zampinator.... this is an Awesome post.... Thanks for sharing it. I'm guessing at some point every BBH owner is going to need it. With this dialed in... this machine is rocks.. Thanks also for the Shaker motor hint. Do you think it adds enough to the game to warrant buying one?

#112 3 years ago

Absolutely grab the shaker motor. It js great on the game.

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Quoted from TigerLaw:

^^^What he said!^^ Sub woofer & a Shaker are a must!

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Quoted from Zampinator:

^^^What he said!^^ Sub woofer & a Shaker are a must!

Thanks Guys... Appreciate the help... Now I need to stop playing it awhile and start working on it.....

Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on speaks and a shaker motor???

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from Djude:

Thanks Guys... Appreciate the help... Now I need to stop playing it awhile and start working on it.....
Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on speaks and a shaker motor???

Shakers look to be $100 from pinballlife, $95 from cointaker. Speakers can be had from Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro, but if you are adventurous you can check out various threads about cheap speaker upgrades.

#116 3 years ago

Damn awesome game!

It's been two years, and it keeps kicking my ass!
Been back at it all month!

No wonder it's a Keeper!

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Damn awesome game!
It's been two years, and it keeps kicking my ass!
Been back at it all month!
No wonder it's a Keeper!

Art, talking to you convinced me that I was right to want BBH.... It is a great game. Waiting on my Shaker motor, and starting to screw around with the lights I still want to try out your new ones to create the the wounds on the BG buck for every shotgun shell shot achieved....

#118 3 years ago

Just ordered a shaker motor from Coin taker. This game is one I hope to keep. Going to get a powder coat treatment. Love to hunt for birds so this theme suits me well.

Also forgot to mention a new club member.

#119 3 years ago

No longer a member as I sold mine yesterday.
However while driving home hit a pheasant which ripped the windscreen wiper straight off, it then proceeded to start raining. Maybe it's a sign I shouldn't have sold it?
At least it wasn't a Buck or an Elk!

#120 3 years ago

Just joined the club, thanks Wayne!

Can't believe this game is only at 272 on the chart, it's way better than that.

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

Can't believe this game is only at 272 on the chart, it's way better than that.

It's because there were so few made, many players have never tried it, or if they did it was a dirty, malfunctioning game on location.

1 week later
#122 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It's because there were so few made, many players have never tried it, or if they did it was a dirty, malfunctioning game on location.

I may have missed it, if so, sorry, but does anybody have an actual figure on how many BBHs were made?

#123 3 years ago

Ok.... So I got the shaker motor installed.... and except for the fact that Stern was making cabinets out of used Amazon boxes when they made this... everything went well and it works great, but it gave me some more questions to ask you guys.

Does anyone know what these wires are for in these pictures? They look like they come off of the flipper buttons, the first is on the left hd side just above the SM Cir BD with the 3 arrows, there are several wires that are taped off with black tape. Have a hard time believing they came from the factory this way. They are yellow and green and yellow as well as a couple of single wires that look pink and green that are looped and taped off. Same with Rt hd side in second pic just below rt hd flipper button. thanks much.

BBH_Loose_wires_1_(resized).jpg

BBH_Loose_wire_2_(resized).jpg

#124 3 years ago

Ok... so last question for the time being..... BBH is my first Stern machine and I noticed when I get a "Special" on it, instead of a knocker sounding it makes this incredibly annoying electronic screeching sound. I played an Iron Man the other day, which is of the same Stern vintage, and it made the same noise as my machine.....

Does anyone know how to turn this down or change it? Thanks much in advance...

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from Djude:

I may have missed it, if so, sorry, but does anybody have an actual figure on how many BBHs were made?

I've seen estimates from 300 to 1000 units. I've heard original IM was about 1000 units, and considering how many more of those we saw floating around, I'd find it hard to believe BBH production was that high.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I've seen estimates from 300 to 1000 units. I've heard original IM was about 1000 units, and considering how many more of those we saw floating around, I'd find it hard to believe BBH production was that high.

I would be shocked if they produced more that 600....

they are hard to come by

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I would be shocked if they produced more that 600...

As I recall from another thread where we looked at serial numbers it seemed well under 500 (but I can't remember exactly now). There were even fewer NBA's and NFL's made though. Other rare Sterns: CSI and 24.

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

As I recall from another thread where we looked at serial numbers it seemed well under 500 (but I can't remember exactly now). There were even fewer NBA's and NFL's made though. Other rare Sterns: CSI and 24.

For perspective I think estimates go like this:

NFL (85), NBA (250), CSI/24/BBH, IMOG (1000), Avatar (1000 Pro + 250 LE)

And using Pinsider ownership you can see the production numbers match up fairly well

NBA (9), NFL (10), 24 (39), CSI (46), BBH (51), Avatar (80 Pro, 57 LE) [IM is muddled with VE numbers mixed in]

I've actually seen BBH ownership jump from about 30 to 51 recently as people are starting to find one to try out, seems to be a more desired game than 24 or CSI at this point.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

For perspective I think estimates go like this:
NFL (85), NBA (250), CSI/24/BBH, IMOG (1000), Avatar (1000 Pro + 250 LE)

From what I remember hearing, CSI and 24 are not that high - I thought those two had been relatively established, and I am pretty sure both were well under 500.

I remember when BBH and IM came out, someone with ties to the company had told me (and I honestly forget who) that those two games changed the fortunes of the company. I would assume that they were both at or close to 1k sellers, although I don't know.

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I've actually seen BBH ownership jump from about 30 to 51 recently as people are starting to find one to try out, seems to be a more desired game than 24 or CSI at this point.

It is a more timeless theme. It will do better long term than tv show based dramas.

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

From what I remember hearing, CSI and 24 are not that high - I thought those two had been relatively established, and I am pretty sure both were well under 500.

Sorry it wasn't clear, I originally used less than signs but they were stripped in the post... What I tried to say is the estimate for CSI/24/BBH is somewhere between 250 and 1000, but prod number for those are very debatable. I have also seen comments from those that claim they are in the know and even one Stern insider posted that BBH production was 1000...but I just can't find the evidence.

Lets take some examples of 20 year old games where you expect some losses over the years, more so than games made just 6 years ago. But lets assume no losses...

NBA Fastbreak. 4,414 produced, 222 owned by Pinsiders (5%)
The Shadow. 4247 produced, 598 owned by Pinsiders (14%)
Champion's Pub. 1369 produced, 207 owned by Pinsiders (15%)
Attack from Mars, 3450 produced, 735 owned by Pinsiders (21%)

Using the range of 5-21% ownership we get production number ranges as follows

24: 195-780
CSI: 230-920
BBH: 255-1020

Collector ownership with today's games tends to be higher than in the past... but even a conservative 10% Pinsider ownership rate my personal estimate comes in under 500 for each.

Quoted from goatdan:

I remember when BBH and IM came out, someone with ties to the company had told me (and I honestly forget who) that those two games changed the fortunes of the company. I would assume that they were both at or close to 1k sellers, although I don't know.

That's the first I've ever seen someone comment that BBH was a hit with Stern... I've consistently heard the opposite.

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from Djude:

Does anyone know how to turn this down or change it?

There are settings in the adjustments menu for turning off the knocker screech.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

There are settings in the adjustments menu for turning off the knocker screech.

thanks much.... I appreciate the reply!

1 month later
#134 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

When you buy a Stern shaker motor it comes with all the directions you need to hook it up.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Zampinator for his help showing me David Pinballwizz's detailed mod link on how to improve sensitivity on the buck shots at top and bottom of the track.....https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bbh-making-the-buck-more-sensitive

After tearing the buck apart I found that adding 1 washer to the two back screws under the metal plate with a hole in it that the switch post sticks through seems to make the most difference quickly and easily. simply remove the four lock nuts, then the plate with the hole in it. Put a washer on each of the two back screws. (see David Pinballwizz's photo... I circled the screws...) and replace the plate with the hole in it. Tighten down all four lock nuts and the addition of the two washers will force the switch post just a little closer to the back of the plate that closes the switch.

This mod alone made an incredible difference in the way this game plays..... So much so, that I felt compelled to share this incredible fix again with everyone on this thread....

BBH_switch_post_(resized).jpg

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

That's the first I've ever seen someone comment that BBH was a hit with Stern... I've consistently heard the opposite.

Let's put it this way...

Before BBH, we had CSI and 24. Sales of these were so poor that the company was in serious risk of going under. Tons of designers and programmers were let go. There was serious talk about Stern needing to shut down.

From what I was told, the success of BBH and IM with operators (both were widely panned by collectors) allowed Stern to keep the doors open and sort of stabilize themselves. Neither were smash hits like ACDC was for instance, but both sold significantly more than the games before it (WoF and BDK also sold poorly) and proved a market was still there.

My BBH is coming home any moment now. I'm excited to see her again

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from Djude:

Just wanted to give a shout out to Zampinator for his help showing me David Pinballwizz's detailed mod link on how to improve sensitivity on the buck shots at top and bottom of the track.....https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bbh-making-the-buck-more-sensitive
After tearing the buck apart I found that adding 1 washer to the two back screws under the metal plate with a hole in it that the switch post sticks through seems to make the most difference quickly and easily. simply remove the four lock nuts, then the plate with the hole in it. Put a washer on each of the two back screws. (see David Pinballwizz's photo... I circled the screws...) and replace the plate with the hole in it. Tighten down all four lock nuts and the addition of the two washers will force the switch post just a little closer to the back of the plate that closes the switch.
This mod alone made an incredible difference in the way this game plays..... So much so, that I felt compelled to share this incredible fix again with everyone on this thread....

That's great news! Your welcome. BBH is a blast to play! But if that buck isn't registering hits properly, it's no fun at all. I'm glad you were able to get it working properly.

#137 3 years ago

"Don't shoot the doe"
SUPER FUN GAME!

3 weeks later
#138 3 years ago

So I have been wanting a mod of Alien flying saucers above the pops area for some time. I took a chance on these due to having a TSPP incase they don't look right. I love them here! Just wanted to share due to there not being any mods out there for this game. Pics don't do it justice....took 5 min to install.

20160712_101645_(resized).jpg
20160712_101611_(resized).jpg

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

So I have been wanting a mod of Alien flying saucers above the pops area for some time. I took a chance on these due to having a TSPP incase they don't look right. I love them here! Just wanted to share due to there not being any mods out there for this game. Pics don't do it justice....took 5 min to install.

Haha, love it!!

#140 3 years ago

Those look nice, would like to see 3 of them, each hovering over the pops. I think that's what the Pops are supposed to look like ??

#141 3 years ago

Three might be overkill....the one is above the cow.

#142 3 years ago

Has anyone tried lubricating the buck motor? Mine is pretty noisy, doesn't bother me much but I'm selling it and the buyer is concerned about the noise meaning the motor could be on the way out.

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

Has anyone tried lubricating the buck motor? Mine is pretty noisy, doesn't bother me much but I'm selling it and the buyer is concerned about the noise meaning the motor could be on the way out.

The Buck motor was noisy when that game was at mine on loan a year ago, so I wouldn't think it is getting worse.

I've played a BBH on location where the juddering from the motor was shaking the game like a shaker motor!

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

The Buck motor was noisy when that game was at mine on loan a year ago, so I wouldn't think it is getting worse.
I've played a BBH on location where the juddering from the motor was shaking the game like a shaker motor!

Had a mess about with it today, the motor's fairly quiet with nothing attached to it, so I've put some extra washers under the motor bracket to move it away from the playfield a bit, sounds much better now. I can imagine in the long term there's going to be a few problems with parts wearing out.

Still a great game, played it a lot in the short time I've owned it, sad to see it leave but with others incoming something has to go.

#145 3 years ago

The noise isn't coming from the motor, it's the fact that the long threaded rod the buck runs on is not quite 100% straight meaning there is vibration when the buck gets near the left hand side of the playfield.

To completely eliminate the noise would need a new rod, or the existing one straightening.

I did also consider having a plastic "ski" made for it to run on, but it never concerned me that much.

#146 3 years ago

Yep I realised my error after I ran the motor on it's own, never really looked at it before as it didn't bother me either.

I experimented with different amounts of washers to get the quietest results, with the motor bracket slightly further away from the playfield it puts more pressure on the rod which dampens the noise, too much and it judders or won't move at all. Yes a new or straightened rod would be the ideal solution but the buyer is just happy that the motor is fine.

Now my last chance to go for Open Season, or just to complete Bird for once would be nice.

2 weeks later
#147 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Let's put it this way...
Before BBH, we had CSI and 24. Sales of these were so poor that the company was in serious risk of going under. Tons of designers and programmers were let go. There was serious talk about Stern needing to shut down.
From what I was told, the success of BBH and IM with operators (both were widely panned by collectors) allowed Stern to keep the doors open and sort of stabilize themselves. Neither were smash hits like ACDC was for instance, but both sold significantly more than the games before it (WoF and BDK also sold poorly) and proved a market was still there.
My BBH is coming home any moment now. I'm excited to see her again

Big Buck Hunter Pro the pinball was a mild hit as stated above and Stern has operators asking for more and the pin was produced in runs in each year of 2010, 2011 and 2012. I have some from each run some with yellow shotgun shells and some with red. Here is a few pics of the 2010 version with yellow inserts.

20160711_202009_(resized).jpg
20160711_201701_(resized).jpg
20160711_202029_(resized).jpg
20160711_201629_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#148 3 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

I have some from each run some with yellow shotgun shells and some with red. Here is a few pics of the 2010 version with yellow inserts.

I just joined the club over the weekend. Mine has yellowish red inserts. I think they were red and are fading to yellow. But it's a great game. Lots of fun. Very under rated.

2 months later
#149 3 years ago

Have a really nice HUO BBH in the marketplace that I really need to move to open some space. Anyone interested?

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Have a really nice HUO BBH in the marketplace that I really need to move to open some space. Anyone interested?

Could have sold this to me ages ago but you wouldn't budge off your 4500 dollar price.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spanish Fork, UT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 199.99
$ 24.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
There are 208 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside