Linked Games

Topic poll

“Sell or Keep BBB (Big Bang Bar)”

• Keep it! You'll never get another one. 29 votes
    31%
  • Sell it! Give someone else bragging rights. 64 votes
    69%

(93 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I had a buyer for my BBB at the price I would sell it for and due to a condition issue I found late in the transaction, I offered a refund for the deposit and the buyer took it. The condition was bunching around the legs and I took some money (OK, a lot of money) off the price but he decided to use the money for a different purpose.

So, I was involved in the information dissemination of the original project and I even drug my best friend up to Bloomington to help load trucks for delivery of the bulk of the games (yes, I have pictures).

I have depersonalized the game so it's sitting there as a regular, not Al Warner's BBB and I'm thinking, "Do I just want to keep this, or should I try and sell it again?". I don't need an argument as to whether it's worth it or not, but the price would be $15K firm with the small damage around the legs if I sell it. I have pictures of the damage and leg protectors would hide most of it. There are some spare parts and the original box / equipment included.

Opinions - Buy, Sell? Not whether it's worth it or not because that argument will lead nowhere.

There are some other games I'd like to buy and a trade for them with money could work as well, but an outright sale would probably be easier.

#2 11 years ago

Mine has the same issues around the legs. I suspect many of them do, or will at some point. I say keep it....you'll never get another and it is a great game.

#3 11 years ago

Firstly... how do you feel about the game itself?
Is this something you'll miss playing, or just somethign that you'll miss owning due to it's rarity?

I see you have a few nice games on your wishlist, MM being one of them.
I've played BBB, although not extensively, and I didn't see what all the fuss is about to be honest. If it were me, I'd cycle it out for a MM and put the rest towards an IJ or something else on your list.

My two cents.

#4 11 years ago

Very cool as a high end novelty, but would dump it. Sounds like it's collecting dust and you're not getting much out of it anymore. It's a good chunk of change that could be used towards one or more titles.

#5 11 years ago

$15K for a pinball machine...my God. Time to start saving.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from IndianaPwns:

$15K for a pinball machine...my God. Time to start saving.

Only 200 or so made. Not your average pinball machine. I like playing it, but I guess I'm kinda done with it. Seriously though, one of the most amazing looking games ever. The art package is 2nd to none. I think I'll miss looking at it more than playing it if that makes any sense.

#7 11 years ago

Ya I agree with you. It looks SOOO GOOD but to me plays meh. If you had a need for the money to buy something new or save, I can see it. But being such a rare machine. I may caution on the side of keeping it. It won't be going down in value.....

#8 11 years ago

Sell it to me for less than 10k and I'll make you cupcakes!

#9 11 years ago

Okay, I might be showing my noobness here, but seriously how much more can a 15k pin appreciate. You already have a very, very small segment that can and would pay that much for a pin. It is obviously great looking and must be a pretty good player considering the rankings. But IMO when LCDs become the norm on pinball in the next year, 2, 5 or whatever I just don't see the price going considerably higher.

Now if the investment is not the real issue and you love the pin and love the rarity factor then I would say keep it.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Okay, I might be showing my noobness here, but seriously how much more can a 15k pin appreciate.

People said the same thing when BBB's were selling for 8K, then they said the same thing at 10K, then 12K, and now at 15K. There is no limit as long as people are willing to pay those prices. They would not be selling for 15K if people were not willing to pay it. And if people keep snagging them up then it will on keep increasing as demand grows. People used to think 12K was crazy, however I bet if you posted one for sale for 12k it would be sold in minutes.

#11 11 years ago

Last two that I know of sold for $17K+, too bad this guy is so far away from me.....its a heck of a buy if your local to him.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#12 11 years ago

If someone sells me a BBB for 8k, I'll sign a contract that says that if I sell it - they get first dibs on buying it back for 7k.

#13 11 years ago

A cpl hundo for shipping is small potatoes at that price. Get it

#14 11 years ago

tough decision man.. I just thought about this .. and was like.. keep ..sell keep sell

one hand you want to switch it up and the price makes for a nice collection change.

the other hand ..it looks like sex (and sounds like it) and how bad will you miss it.. as unlike TOTAN or MM.. not like they are for sale every other month.

on the other hand.. do you use FP/VirtualPB? this table is recreated with a lot of effort.. so is that experience acceptable if you cant have it any more.

can you sell it to a pinhead like Rarehero where you can work a deal with someone like that where you have a buy back option.

and I agree Toasterdog, for $1xK buying price and the production number's of this game.. if I wanted it I would also be paying for a flight and a rental truck to drive it home. obviously this pinball isnt in the section of "good deal pins to own / a steal of a price" this is a game for well established collectors only..

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Only 200 or so made. Not your average pinball machine. I like playing it, but I guess I'm kinda done with it. Seriously though, one of the most amazing looking games ever. The art package is 2nd to none. I think I'll miss looking at it more than playing it if that makes any sense.

Wow...exactly how I felt with my CV. Then after a while, it just doesn't make sense when you know that money could be in your bank account. Good luck with the sale.

#16 11 years ago

First off - Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread on course and not jacking it up. The opinions have been well thought out and include great insight. Will it continue to climb? I honestly think that as people with money enter the hobby and see these things as investment potential, that it will actually go up. Now that said, I had 2 friends sell theirs and shipped them to Australia a few years ago for $10K. I said that if I could get $17K, I would then "consider" selling it. I do feel I had something to do with the history of the game if even in a small way (plus we made a video about the history of the game). But the truth is, it's only a game and I have a lot of games beside this one. I'm not going to pursue a sale right now by advertising it, but if anyone has interest, PM me.

Thanks to everyone who commented. I really appreciate your taking the time.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Last two that I know of sold for $17K+, too bad this guy is so far away from me.....its a heck of a buy if your local to him.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

Don from "Pinballs on the Move" makes "Regular" trips to my house because I'm central to some of his trips and I give him a free room. Transport is pretty reasonable in the grand scheme of a purchase like this.

#18 11 years ago

Opportunity cost. Could you use that money elsewhere and be happier with the result?

#19 11 years ago

Sounds like you have decided to sell it and have that "issue" settled in your mind and in your heart. So, no problem now or going fwd. You got to own it and enjoy it. Perhaps it has come time to let someone else enjoy it.
I've played a BBB and a couple positive comments I have is that:
* for some reason, to me, BBB has some awesome pop bumpers.
Love the action, sound & style of them.
* playfield quality just shines & smiles at you

Out of my price range, and I'm not selling the Challenger to get one. Cheers!

#20 11 years ago

I would keep it.
Is it the best game? No, far from it, but it is a very unique piece. IF you only had room for so many I would say get rid of it...but 17 games you seem to have enough room to have a collectors piece in there.

I mean if you need the coin for serious stuff then by all means. But just to get a trade on a game or 2 (well maybe or 5), doesn't seem worth it.

#22 11 years ago

Keep it. You'll probably regret selling it.

#23 11 years ago

Keep it, and buy my IJ

#24 11 years ago

Sell. You gotta cut the cord at some point and it sounds like you've reached that point. $15k goes a long way in the pinworld and the real world.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

People said the same thing when BBB's were selling for 8K, then they said the same thing at 10K, then 12K, and now at 15K. There is no limit as long as people are willing to pay those prices. They would not be selling for 15K if people were not willing to pay it. And if people keep snagging them up then it will on keep increasing as demand grows. People used to think 12K was crazy, however I bet if you posted one for sale for 12k it would be sold in minutes.

That wasn't his point. His point was this game will become less interesting and desirable over time once next gen pins take hold. I agree. How many system 11s command $10k? $5k for that matter? DMDs become system 11s once next gen arrives. Maybe BBB is the king of that heap, because of its rarity, but its really king of the hype heap. In time most people just won't care. I've already decided that I don't, and I'm a huge pin fan.

How many people give a crap about the top of the SS heap nowadays? When I got in 5 years ago EBD's were going for $2k and more. And I was sorry I couldn't justify that price. Now I realize that my all time favorite game as a youth is not worth as much as a decent DMD game...and the market clearly agrees with me. All things must pass. Sell it and buy and buy something you'll enjoy.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Keep it, and buy my IJ

I'll buy your IJ! Pics?

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Sell. You gotta cut the cord at some point and it sounds like you've reached that point. $15k goes a long way in the pinworld and the real world.

If I didn't need the money and knew I could get two brand new Stern LEs on my front porch in a few days I'd be all over it! Especially if the game just acted as a nice showpiece.

#28 11 years ago

Al,

Just an FYI... I'm NOT driving to Illinois again and nearly falling asleep while driving through the night twice with you to get another BBB for you if you sell this one.

Oh wait, you just went with me to get my RFM and we didn't get home til 4am, so I guess yes... I will drive with you again to get another BBB if you ever sell this one.

Paul

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

That wasn't his point. His point was this game will become less interesting and desirable over time once next gen pins take hold

What next generation is going to take over? I don't consider WOZ the next generation of pinballs. Machines of 2012 are not really offering much over machines from the 1990's and they constantly recycle parts. I don't see anything that innovative in the newer Sterns or WOZ that is earth shattering. I have machines that span across all those years and when my non-pinball friends come over they have no idea which games are new and which are old. Look at XMEN, the ramp, spinning disk, and night crawlers have all be done before in one way or another.

Do you really think throwing a LCD in the backbox is going to make DMD games obsolete? The difference between sys11 and DMD displays was significant, but I don't see that gap being the same with a LCD versus a DMD. Maybe I will be proved wrong but these are still pinball machines and playfield is more important then the display. And if system 11 games are obsolete because of DMD's then why are games like Funhouse and Whirlwind still continuing to climb in price? I hope your theory is right because then I will be very excited and the first in line to purchase all of these soon to be obsolete DMD games which should be dropping significantly in price when the next generation comes out.

#30 11 years ago

I would sell it. Mostly novelty at that price tag. Much better pins for that money or happier bank account.

#31 11 years ago

I would love to buy it but just can't do $15K for one. As someone else posted, for $12K honestly I'd be on it. I played it at a friends house and really enjoyed it aside from the collectible nature. Loved the bar scene in Star Wars and this is so close to that.

Anyway, if you really want to change up the lineup I'll buy it for $12K, bake better cupcakes than Rarehero, and agree to sell back for same price if I ever tired of it. How's that for investment safeguard.

Good luck with the sale.

#32 11 years ago

As a "collectible" its hit its peak....it won't go any higher, nobody will pay 20k for a pinball machine.....ever, when you can get an AC/DC, Xmen and Woz for that...

#33 11 years ago

I guess I'm not in the minority, but if you can sell a single pin for $12k+ you would be crazy not to sell it... honestly, how can anyone spend more than $5k max on a 'flipping' pinball machine?!

And no offense, but the argument is "is it worth it." $15k is stupid money for a pinball game, that in all respects, is worth nowhere near the kind of scatch that you would gain from a straight up sale.

Sell it...

#34 11 years ago

To me personally, the decision would ride on finances, space, and personal tastes. If you can afford to keep it and are happy with the games you have and money isn't the issue, I say keep it. Why? I've only played one BBB in the years I've been in the hobby and it was at CAX. It's a super rare game, and to be able to have something that rare in our hobby is pretty damn cool. Those that come over probably love it also.

If you need the money or space to free up for other pins that you think you'd really enjoy more, and can't do it with moving another pin, then sell the BBB and never look back.

#35 11 years ago

Sell. There are so many small run machines coming like JPop's stuff and more Stern LE's that a run of 200 machines may be considered a big run in the future.

#36 11 years ago

Sell it
You almost sold it once, so it would seem your mind is made up already

It is only rare, not "one of ten made" or only prototype

Let someone else enjoy the BBB experience

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As a "collectible" its hit its peak....it won't go any higher, nobody will pay 20k for a pinball machine.....ever, when you can get an AC/DC, Xmen and Woz for that...

Dude the originals have sold for way more than $20k.

#38 11 years ago

I love my BBB but for $17K + it could be someone elses It's would be a hard decision since it's such cool looking game with a ton of history. Fun to play. That being said if anyone is interested let me know

Mike,

www.HabosArcade.com

#39 11 years ago

Yeah - $12K just isn't going to buy mine or probably anyone elses for that matter. Combine a game on my wishlist and some cash and it could be yours. My top choices would be MM, IJ, CP, and RFM. I'd be more inclined for about 1/2 the value of the game in trade and the other 1/2 in cash but I'm flexible maybe $1.5K on that. Again, not really up for sale, but if anyone wants to talk, I'll listen.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

I guess I'm not in the minority, but if you can sell a single pin for $12k+ you would be crazy not to sell it... honestly, how can anyone spend more than $5k max on a 'flipping' pinball machine?!
And no offense, but the argument is "is it worth it." $15k is stupid money for a pinball game, that in all respects, is worth nowhere near the kind of scatch that you would gain from a straight up sale.
Sell it...

I hear you, but the truth of it is, original buyers took a HUGE risk buying these games. The risk was that the money would disappear and we'd never see a product. It didn't work out that way and Gene Cunningham fulfilled his promise at a considerable loss (reported that machines cost $6.5K to actually build). There are 200 of them and collectors hold onto them. Law of supply and demand. At my price I am actually hurting the market since this is the first one I've seen lately under $17K. I consider it a fair price because of the bunching on the side art.

#41 11 years ago

Most "keeper" comments are either from those who never had it but want it, or those who have it and wouldn't part with one at any price.

To me it sounds like you've been there, done that, and are looking for something fresh. Get a fair price and move on.

#42 11 years ago

I have played it and I vote sell, I just don't think the game is worth the price it commands

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Sell it
You almost sold it once, so it would seem your mind is made up already
It is only rare, not "one of ten made" or only prototype
Let someone else enjoy the BBB experience

I understand it's not that easy, I just sold some stuff on Craig's list for high value, that I didn't NEED the cash, and the high value was emotional. I just didn't use it so storage was dumb. I posted and it was sold quickly, I was sick. Almost called the guy saying someone else came to dog out of selling, still am sad. But a pocket of cash helps and now my pinball room has electrical service!

#44 11 years ago

I'd sell it unless you own a money tree. You already came to that decision before.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

For some people 20k isn't a big deal. If I was a multimillionaire I would buy a BBB.

#46 11 years ago

It's a beautiful game, you're right... but even after playing it, I can't imagine not selling it at around that price. It's an incredible story, and it's bloody nice for a change to see a pin with an adult theme that's NOT PLAYBOY (christ..), but at the end of the day, if it's not getting played, it's deadweight.

Frankly man, I had more fun with your Varkon. Sometimes the "KISS" (Keep it Simple, Stupid!) theory applies and flashy doesn't always equal great play. It just happens that with pinball the stars align that way a shockingly huge percentage of the time, but I personally feel like BBB isn't one of them. The art, sound and toys are AAA material all the way, but I wasn't able to get the groove of the playfield layout.

I sold my STTNG partially for the same reason. I enjoyed looking at it more than I enjoyed playing it, and it opened up opportunities to buy other things that I normally would not have been able to get ahold of. I'm going to end up replacing it at some point, I know it. I will probably pay much more the second time around for it...but nothing like trying to replace BBB. If you feel that you might ever go that way, and try to get one back, just keep it if there's any doubt and you don't absolutely HAVE to sell it.

I'll probably lose 3k getting a STTNG back. You may lose a whole lot more than that if you ever want BBB back. =\

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For some people 20k isn't a big deal. If I was a multimillionaire I would buy a BBB.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sell. There are so many small run machines coming like JPop's stuff and more Stern LE's that a run of 200 machines may be considered a big run in the future.

That's my point on BBB...its a "collectible" and not 15k or whatever because its the greatest pin ever....but hey, I'm a huge collector myself (not pins!) and get why someone would want it and no offense to you Rommey on your NIB BBB, that had to be cool breaking that thing open but with boutique runs of better pins coming out the 20k days are over imho...

#48 11 years ago

Sell it. You've already stated you're done with it. Get some money out of it and move on.

Hell, I never even OPENED mine and sold it. I've got a couple of friends in the area with them so if I ever want to play one, I can. Never had the urge though. Sure, it's a nice pin to look at, can be fun to play at times, but $15-20K goes a LONG way elsewhere...

#49 11 years ago

I'd much rather have a bowling alley in my house than a BBB.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I'd much rather have a bowling alley in my house than a BBB.

Ball bowler = AWESOME.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 209.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bbb-sell-or-keep and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.