e898ade8989e2fff1594dedc02e7e97624b32530 (resized).jpg
BBBMotorControl (resized).PNG
BBBSchematic (resized).PNG
beatsme.gif
IMG_8203 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8202 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8196 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8200 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fulltilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Has anyone else put the Color DMD in their BBB?
It works and looks great!

However with the supplied voltage connector, unplugging and replacing J6 on the power board as directed disables the Alien motor. So... ?

I emailed Color DMD for feedback. Maybe a piggy back connector is needed?

#5 3 years ago

I used J6 on the Power Board.
Attached are pics of the J6 connector and the DMD power connector in front of it.
J6 has 5 wires on the original connector. Voltage is labeled correctly.

Second pic shows the DMD does work great. The alien motor does not!

IMG_8200 (resized).jpegIMG_8200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8196 (resized).jpegIMG_8196 (resized).jpeg

#7 3 years ago

J2 on the Power Board and J2 on the Driver Board
I'm sure I'm missing something but J6 is the only connector I've found with the right voltages and size.
Schematics seem to show playfield motors coming from J14 & J16.

IMG_8202 (resized).jpegIMG_8202 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8203 (resized).jpegIMG_8203 (resized).jpeg

#8 3 years ago

I'm thinking more that on my machine, instead of just to the display board, the J6 connector has tie-ins to the Alien motor.
I'm not wanting to modify my original connector to tie into the Color DMD plug, but that is what would probably work.

#9 3 years ago

Well, just as a follow up and end for now. Very strange. If anyone has experience with their BBB and can add input, I'd love to hear it.

J6 on the Power Board links directly with J1 on the Display Power board.
When I unplug J6 to connect the Color DMD, the Color DMD works perfectly but my Alien motor ceases to work. No power.
I unplug the Color DMD harness and plug back in J6 (connected to J1 on the Display Power board), the Alien motor has power and works perfectly.

Makes no sense to me how power goes to the motor under the playfield through these connectors.
Guess I'm going back to the original DMD for now.

beatsme.gifbeatsme.gif

#10 3 years ago

Hey, when pigs fly right.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Is this a display you moved from another game? I thought a new one shipped with an adapter for J6.

No, just ordered from Color DMD. Randy really was great trying to fix the issue but no go so far.

#14 3 years ago

Thank you for all the detective work Randy. You guys went way beyond expectation.

Keeping in mind these games were assembled 1 by 1 from volunteers, it is a likely possibility there is a wiring miss-link. I feel lucky it works well to begin with. It would be Golden if I could get it to work with these great color displays.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Dang. I've had a ColorDMD for BBB sitting in a box in my office for 1.5 years. First off, where did the time go ?!?
You guys are motivating me to go downstairs and tear into it because you've piqued my curiosity.
I'll report back in on Sunday......

In the meantime don't quit trying fulltilt, you're a tenacious SOB, rewire that bitch.

Perhaps Kim's kit would help you overcome your troubles?
Here's the link: https://www.kimballspinballs.com/capcom-games/

I ain't sending it back yet. This SOB should be fixable. I'm just wondering who it was wired my game... Kerry?? (:

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

You've inspired me to install one in mine. It's a great game, can't imagine what it will look like with color.[quoted image]

Sweet! Is that a Laserific topper?

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I am in the process of installing my Color DMD (thanks to this thread) but had a question.

bob.gifbob.gif

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

Thanks...I'm almost there!

Are you doing an original or Illinois Pinball?

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

Illinois Pinball.

Looking at your wiring colors etc, very different than mine. I couldn't get it to work in my machine.
The Color DMD looked fantastic, but my Alien motor wouldn't work at the same time. Sucked!
I really wanted this to work in the game.

BTW, Randy with Color DMD support ROCKS! He did everything short of coming over to my house.
This is why they are so successful.... and that they make kick ass products!

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Mission accomplished.
Using the alternative installation process and wiring I had from kimballspinballs worked just fine with my LED display.

Can you expand a little on that?

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

I forgot about this until it was mentioned here, but Kim had designed a wire harness for his 12V lighting mods and added a connector so it could also drive a ColorDMD. This was before we were officially supporting Capcom, providing our own wire harness and running from 18V.
It's a more complicated solution in that it requires getting 12V and ground from two different locations in the game, but I tested one in a Pinball Magic (without any lighting mods connected) and it worked fine.
While this could be a workaround for you, it still doesn't solve the fundamental issue that there's some linkage between 18V and your 12V motors that should not be there.
Randy

I hope to run through that check list you sent me in the next couple days. I sprained my right shoulder a week or so ago and the recent raising and lowering of the playfield really took a toll on it! Once it eases back off I'm going to run through that list and get you some pictures of the wiring. I'm hoping to get to some answers on what's going on. Your help has been fantastic to say the least.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The new LCDs are similar in size the old LCDs but a little thinner. The main change we made was to rotate and move the ColorDMD control board mounting positiion so it will not interfere with the metal DMD cover on the speaker panel.

Removing the metal DMD support posts and replacing them with the "lower" plastic posts included in the kit gave the perfect spacing.
Although now it seems intuitive, it would help to add that step to the instruction sheet.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Did you ever reach out to Kerry Stair at Mantis? He basically ran the project to completion.. if there were variations in production he would be the one that would know best.

No I haven't done that yet. I've had the pleasure of Randy (at Color DMD) helping to trouble shoot. What a great guy that's gone above and way beyond.

#46 3 years ago

Well hell!! Better last than never.
If it wasn't for the tireless help from Randy P. I'm absolutely certain I would never have gotten this working.
I learned a heck of a lot about schematics and wire tracing.

It's a thing of beauty!

IMG_8301 (resized).jpegIMG_8301 (resized).jpeg

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

And the resolution was?

Started with thinking there might be some strange voltage leak through J6. Voltages at the playfield motor seemed to check out ok and not associated with J6.

Randy provided an excellent checklist and systematically went through the machine.

Thought it might be a grounding issue. Traced ground wiring all over the place. The connector on the power board, J14, that was supposed to provide the motor ground wasn't. The schematic shows 2 wires at J14, I had only one. Seemed it may finally have been some how connecting with ground on the EL board by some other path. Haven't actually found the ground wire path there yet.... but

After plugging and unplugging connectors for a couple days it magically all worked when put back together. I'm assuming a grounding issue somewhere got solved by reconnecting one of the plugs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 209.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fulltilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bbb-color-dmd?tu=Fulltilt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.