Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Super Bonus.png
Bazaar Progress.png
Bazaar Masking Layer.jpg
Bazaar Rework.jpg
#1 6 years ago

"Another pinball restoration adventure begins."

Using an original Bazaar (Bally, 1966) NOS backglass set of scans, I have begun the starting steps to fully recreate another ink-screened style pinball backglass from the original artwork.

I say "style" for reason, as using modern technology, versus hand drawn films and drafting screened layers for a bit of simplicity.

This is a combination process using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, and has somewhat become a "lost art" with only 8 active full groups of people doing this kind of work in the entire world. The process I will describe is essentially the same as that as used by BGResto and Great Pinball Limited, but not CPR, Shay, or Ron Webb. It really does not cut any corners when it comes to the artwork, as multiple layers are still required to be retraced or redrawn by computer.

Now, some of the "secrets" will be revealed.

The first step is knowing how to capture images properly without glare along proper dpi and resolution.
I generally work between 1200-3200 dpi, but would never go lower than 600 dpi, as the old adage is you can always go down, but never up in quality.
Inspect the pantones on the image when scans are completed to the original backglass, very important before a person starts work.
If the image colors are captured wrong, a person can spend many hours cross checking the original glass.
I cannot emphasize enough the need to have the best quality backglass you can to start with for reference, otherwise an artist is guessing on authenticity for comparison.

If a large format scanner with depth of field adjustments is unavailable, "scanography" is an acceptable method if a person has a camera that can capture enormous resolution images and scale them down in order to increase dpi quality.
Sectionalizing the backglass image with additional scans or photos at higher magnification allows an artist to reconnect sections if there were any anomalies in the master.
I personally do not like "puzzle piecing" as this leads to more work during image cleanup.

Using a standard scanner or "see through" scanners such as the obsolete HP 4600 scanjet provide poor quality focusing, and are best used for plastics, playfields, and other non-depth flat surfaces. The are simply better options today.

When working with backglass images, the images are HUGE (at minimum full size of print, and preferably double or triple size) sometimes as high as 10GB or more, and require a fairly fast computer with very large of scratch disk (15-20 GB allocated) and healthy amount of physical RAM (32 GB) to work properly. The average image size at full print is going to start around 1-2 GB. Management of large files is key to keep things under control. Remember, every time you add a layer the image file size will go up sometimes substantially!

Illustrator is used for the front for the front revector color and blackline artwork, rescaling requirements, or font changes equivalent to the original films which was drawn entirely by hand. The other advantage is being able to make quick multi-point lines and adjustable curves with minimal effort. Much easier than using smart objects in Photoshop.

Photoshop is used for non vector regions and masking. Alignment is not really an issue, if a person conducts measurements from the original glass. Use guide lines for alignment, hundreds if needed! If an an original glass is not available, it is better to find a blown out version than simply guessing, as this can lead to wasted time and money.

Front and back sides of the glass are required, otherwise severe "hot spots" occur and the end product will be poor.

What is seen on the masking layer (modern equivalent of the original silver screening) as white is pure translucent, while black inking is non-permeable. A third pass shaded image layer (grayscale) is used to control the amount of light that can be be seen, and can correct edging issues. When masking, transparency checks are required, but the layer should be treated as a separate image.
Fortunately, there is no chome inking on this particular backglass which requires use of an etched mirror (or paint layer) which would have made things a bit more complicated.

However, the number physical complete layers can sometimes go as high as ten or more, if complete precision is warranted including mirroring. My average is five, if using CMYK. Three, if RGB. Separation requirements are dependent on the close proximity to similar colors within the image itself.

Properly done backglasses use no "cut outs", but pure masking layers to prevent light bleeding.
Eventually all layers will be printed to tempered glass as I have done with others.
Printing onto glass is tricky, as adjustments to colors may be required to achieve the desired effects of the original glass.

In this case, 1/4" tempered glass, not plate as the original.
The average cost is anywhere from $250-650 dependent on complexity and number of image layers required and types of glass used, no different from any other quality pinball backglass reproduction of such low quantity made. Additionally, there are licensing issues that must be observed. I do not do any restorations for profit, but sometimes do consignment base work for other pinball collectors. Copyright infringement is how people get into trouble, which I avoid drama like a plague.

This alternative described provides an equal level quality product to factory originals without doing a full ink screen.

A solvent ink print is preferred over a vinyl printed layer adhered to the glass with heat treatment, but is more expensive. Latex printing is not recommended, as the paint layer cracks over time due to changes in temperature of both the glass and printed layer in contraction and expansion even in climate controlled environments. A test print of colors on glass with a white final surface is required prior to any final application. This may require a two step process (colors then a white backing layer) to accomplish. When searching for a print service, ask to see an example of a test print on glass from the company and conduct a comparison. It is also very important to know the distinction between RGB and CMYK printing processes due to the potential color changes. This "modern" development of a backglass is quite different than original methods of ink screening colors.

Keep flipping.

Bazaar Rework.jpgBazaar Rework.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Continued progress on the primary backside masking layer, very low quality image.

I generally work in "normal view" versus the reverse mirror which is easier on my eyes and provides faster speed.
The work progress is still very raw in terms of becoming a finished product.
Front artwork of the backglass has not been corrected yet, just baseline for masking reference use only.
At this point, there probably is around another 100+ hours of work to be done at minimum before I can continue to cross check colors, fine tune alignment, make necessary font changes, adjust translucency, and maximize the color vibrancy when under fully lighted conditions.
The entire project will take somewhere around 200-250 hours.

What should be noted is even original backglasses in near "perfect" condition can have flaws direct from the factory.
In this case, I observed issues between the screened numerical and lettered areas of this backglass and the silver backing layer.
So in closing, a reproduction in some ways can be improved from the mass produced original by fixing these types of problems.

Bazaar Masking Layer.jpgBazaar Masking Layer.jpg

#3 6 years ago

Proper copyright owner usage has been "greenlighted" on the Bazaar backglass work for accurate final reproduction.

Formal recommendation for professional screening and submission will be provided to the necessary company when all imagery is completed on the film layers.
My estimate remains at least 200+ hours of vector and masking work for corrections minimum.

This historically important Ted Zale game and the artwork drawn by George Molentin will be preserved for pinball history.
A small run of additional backglasses will eventually be made available for public sale for those that need or want one.
There is presently no estimated cost, as it will dependent on the final complexity.

Additional updates of progress on this backglass will be provided here in the future as I have time.

Everybody "wins".
Keep Flipping.

2 weeks later
#4 6 years ago

Progress continues on "old school recreation" of the Bazaar (Bally, 1966) backglass.

Currently, I am working on recreating vector layers on the front side of the glass in order to clean up the image. Right now, this is set up as a RGB (continuous tone), not CMYK process (via sampling), as this glass does not represent the manner which it was done at the factory during original screening. This could be adjusted last after completion, but will most likely be unnecessary.

I have reference layers for alignment for numbers and score windows which will not be used on the finished product. Presently, I have "holding spots" for the fonts, which are not the originals. I separate scripts, fonts, scoring numbers, and shadows (such as can be seen in the half moons at the top for the Super Bonus) from the general image properties and treat them independently.

The actual drawing itself will be be eventually broken down into no more than 11 primary color ranges for printing screening, in order to be able to make fast changes, as needed. One color, equals one vector layer for the primary image. This means that this finished product will probably require around 20+ image layers total, after compiling. It may not seem like a lot, but this is after significant compression. Right now, I already will past 60 layers individually.

Bazaar Progress.pngBazaar Progress.png

#5 6 years ago

Here is a close up of the revector process on rebuilding a backglass design properly.
Sometimes, one single letter at a time.

"Super Bonus" lettering.
S-U-P-E revectored, the rest of the letters have not been touched, so people can see the roughness of the raw image, sometimes caused by factory printing errors, or scan issues.
Remember these films were hand drawn over 50 years ago, there were no personal computers to make corrections!

The second image shows completed final work with edge strokes and proper shadowing added as separated layers.

The image shown in this photo is 25% actual size, meaning the image has not been magnified at all, and is actually undersized, and must be scaled back in order to be shown properly.
This is critically important when the image is eventually resized for scale printing and compression.
I work off an oversized scan for this same reason in order ensures a high end product result.

Super Bonus.pngSuper Bonus.png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bazaar-bally-1966-backglass-recreation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.