(Topic ID: 73881)

Baywatch Skill Shot--What you need to do to make it actually work.

By papazit1963

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Baywatch Shooter 2 (resized).png
Baywatch Shooter 1 (resized).jpg
20140101_090610.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So I picked up a nice Baywatch last week and have been going through it -tweaking and fine-tuning. This machine was in great shape to start, but it did have the notorious problem that many BW's have of the skill shot not working. I first read that this was a code problem or a design problem, but I don't think so. Maybe a slight design problem only in that it has to be tweaked just right to work.
The problem (if your not familiar) is that you are presented with 3 options prior to launching your ball--option 1, always works, just do a lane change to 1 of 3 lanes that the ball drains into at the top of the machine. Option 2, if selected is supposed to open the top/right gate and have the ball return down to the shark flipper for the shark hole shot. Timing is usually off or ball doesn't launch hard enough to reach that gate (top right of pf). Option 3, if selected is opening the same gate then getting captured by another launcher located behind the shark flipper, then launching around to the top left flipper for the ramp shot (hardest shot=most points). So here's what I did to get mine working 100%. May or may not work on your BW, but this might help some of you having this problem.

1. Set the coil power to medium. This fixed the timing problem of the top right gate opening.
2. Get the launch coil working and aligned at it's best. I replaced the sleeve and adjusted for a dead center ball hit.
3. Tweak the top part of the launch ramp so that the launched ball reached the top right gate. It usually falls short. My ball was actually hitting the ramp mount under the lifeguard shack, slowing it down. Bent that upwards to clear.
4. Aim the top of the launch ramp more upward. Loosen the ramp mounting bolt and adjust the ramp upwards. So instead of the ramp aiming straight right, bend upward a bit so the ball and it's momentum will still reach the gate.
5. Make sure you pf is not set too steep. 6-6.5 degrees max. Had to adjust mine down to 6 to help the ball reach the gate.
After all of these tweaks, my Baywatch skill shot now has all 3 options working 100%. Don't settle for the option 1 alone. Start tweaking...on your machine that is.

Mike

2 weeks later
#2 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips. To my surprise, #2 is what fixed my issue.

However, along those lines, I'm thinking of getting the correct coil bracket for the launch coil. This is what someone had rigged on mine at some point:

20140101_090610.jpg20140101_090610.jpg

It looks like a metal bracket was attached to the end and formed into a makeshift coil stop. Can someone tell me what bracket was originally there?

#3 10 years ago

Nevermind. I have the manual...

#4 10 years ago

I totally shopped mine, ensured the coils were correct to the manual and set to factory settings - the top rhs gate is the issue with many games and I just needed to remove, clean and re-assemble.

Here is my video of my game showing all three modes in one game - lol - took about 10 takes to get them in one game.

#5 10 years ago

looks great swinks!

Mine's all good now except the shark flipper timing. Been trying to dial it in with the adjustment setting in the software..getting closer. I wish this auto flipper was like the Addams Family "thing flips", where it auto adjusts until it makes the shot almost every time.

Floyd. Did you get the correct bracket installed? Work better?

Mike

#6 10 years ago

I believe I tried all of those things and could only get it to work 1 out of 5 times. The issue was not the gate at all for me. It would open fine every time. The issue was the ball just bobbling on the rollover guide before the gate. After weeks of tweaking it drove me nuts and I sold it. I only have room for 3 games tops and I don't have room for games that don't work correctly.

Congrats to getting it working. The only thing I was tempted to try, but I didn't, was putting a super strong coil on the launcher, but I guessed that may cause even more issues since getting the ball there wasn't the problem.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I totally shopped mine, ensured the coils were correct to the manual and set to factory settings - the top rhs gate is the issue with many games and I just needed to remove, clean and re-assemble.
Here is my video of my game showing all three modes in one game - lol - took about 10 takes to get them in one game.
» YouTube video

Nice play Swinks! I never was able to get all three with mine. I also suck though.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

Nice play Swinks! I never was able to get all three with mine. I also suck though.

I am not the best player and that was simply a fluke caught on video

3 weeks later
#9 10 years ago

You still got yours Swinks? I remember you selling a nice one a while ago.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from TheBigShow:

You still got yours Swinks? I remember you selling a nice one a while ago.

unfortunately had to sell a few as lost my job and this was one of them - fully shopped as well so a good buy.

#11 10 years ago

Was working on a new to me Baywatch today and the the gate (top right) would not open . Did a coil test and could see and hear the coil working . But when I checked closer the coil was not opening the gate . The gate opens by a finger on the coil pushing down on the back of the gate . The finger was under the gate ( no workie ) . Someone else had owned it for 10 years . I wonder how long it had been like that ?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

looks great swinks!
Floyd. Did you get the correct bracket installed? Work better?
Mike

Sorry, just saw this. No, I ended up not buying the bracket. I found it on Marco but didn't feel like spending the $20, but the skill shot has been pretty solid. Maybe 1/20 times it doesn't work, which is a lot better than when I got the machine.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Was working on a new to me Baywatch today and the the gate (top right) would not open . Did a coil test and could see and hear the coil working . But when I checked closer the coil was not opening the gate . The gate opens by a finger on the coil pushing down on the back of the gate . The finger was under the gate ( no workie ) . Someone else had owned it for 10 years . I wonder how long it had been like that ?

I can see that going unnoticed very easily. Especially if you aren't familiar with how the game is supposed to work. It's not like that not working is causing a ball to hang up or the game to go into a ball search or anything. It also doesn't have a report like a switch would if it were bad and hadn't been triggered in X amount of games.

5 years later
#14 4 years ago

I can’t get my gate to open on time.

It’s to sluggish and opens to late.

Any ideas?
Running 4.01

#15 4 years ago

So I just read post #14 and was wondering why or what told the gate to open ? So after a ball is put into the shooter lane - you select side ramp skill shot - on mine as soon as you push the Launch button , it opens the gate . So it must be something in the programing ? Did you check that little coil ( actualy a magnet ) to see if there was any binding or sticking, dirt or the spring off ? Now for some reason I have had a lot of trouble with that lane switch #16 it keeps breaking the diode off . I can tell when it's broke off as I'm waiting for the skill shot screen to come up the coil will fire twice . Good luck !

#16 4 years ago

V8haha - I should have asked are you having trouble with the top gate or the lower gate ?

#17 4 years ago

first stop do a full clean and service to the mechs of these features if you haven't already - mine wasn't working prior to a shop out and then nicely after a shop out.

#18 4 years ago

The main issue I had with ball launching on my Baywatch seemed to be a basic design flaw.

The "high rise" mounted shooter coil bracket has the shooter lane switch mounted to the coil bracket. I had Very regular issues with this switch failing. Sometimes from broken a wire, other times the switch simply giving out. Best stretch I got out of a repair was a month at best.

Eventually I figured that the crazy vibes associated with this shocking flexible bracket were probably the root cause, so I mounted the switch on a bracket to the playfield instead, the way any smart engineering design would have it. Haven't had a shooter switch failure in almost 2 years now, around 1000 plays.

Also I just probly jinxed the good run by saying it!

#19 4 years ago

These are a couple of pics of the modification...

Baywatch Shooter 1 (resized).jpgBaywatch Shooter 1 (resized).jpg

Baywatch Shooter 2 (resized).pngBaywatch Shooter 2 (resized).png

Same experience as swinks re skill shot, after game was properly serviced everything worked great. Although I found that if the coil power was set to hard that the ball would make it to the top gate before it would open, disallowing the second or third skill shot option almost every time. Coil power normal, all works fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-skill-shot-what-you-need-to-do-to-make-it-actually-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.