You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
20150622_191202.jpg
20150622_191254.jpg
20150622_191145.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pthermes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I am trying to add a shaker motor to Baywatch, I know it can be done, just need to know where to wire to in the back-box. If anyone has done it, or has a Baywatch with shaker and could take a quick picture of the wiring it would be greatly appreciated.

#3 8 years ago

I have been told it is in the latest code and that shakers were factory installed in the export machines, just hoping someone with a re import can shed some light.

#5 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1995-sega-baywatch-with-shaker-motor-2000-green-bay-wi

This for sale ad is why I know it's possible. The seller told me it is Solenoid 15 in the diagnostic menu even though it says unused, just having trouble making it work, I think I may need an additional connection between PPB and CPU board.

1 week later
#9 8 years ago

Not yet, had to order some more parts. Comparing it to my LAH I realized the ground wire had to be run through a TIP36C transistor and I didn't have any spares. Hopefully after that it will work.

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

So I finally got what back to this project and ran into a problem..... While solenoid trigger #15 seems to be the right unit to use to control the motor, it is a Normally closed signal. I guess I will need to run it through some sort of relay to invert the signal. On to more research.

#12 8 years ago

Waldo - I agree the ELK 924 board would work, but I am researching this solution first: http://www.amazon.com/KEDSUM%C2%AE-Channel-Module-Expansion-Arduino/dp/B009T2M012/ref=sr_1_9

Just seems simpler to me to use the 5 volts from the pinball power supply for the control voltage, plus it is cheaper. I'll let you know when I get it to work.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

That is how the shaker motor works on DE games, it goes through a relay first. At least on my JP it did.

Thank you for the tip - that makes me a lot more comfortable with what I am doing - and now I can download the manual and have a schematic to work from

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Again, like Barakandl wrote, does this game's software have shaker motor support?

Yes Version 4.0 of the ROMs does support a shaker motor, I had my DMM hooked up to the CPU boards #15 Solenoid output. It changes state from low (ground) to open at least when the pop-bumpers are hit and ball launch while I played so I am confident the software is good. Just need to invert the signal with a relay and test it out.

I have extra shaker motors and mounts since I bought a surplus lot. If it works out I will put a kit together if people are interested.

#18 8 years ago

OK - I give up, while the reading on my multi-meter changes for the output, it must not be enough to change the state of the relay. I am not good enough at circuits to make this project work. I guess I will just pick an output or two to use as a trigger.

#23 8 years ago

Had a major break through on this over the weekend!!! I was having a hard time figuring out why the signal wouldn't trip the coil on the relay, the DMM would beep from ground to open, but the relay wouldn't go. Just by chance I decided to put a LED in the line to see if there was any juice going through the line; as soon as I added that the relay started working. So I have a wire coming off of the CPU board for Solenoid #15 - going through a 1N5404 diode - THEN going through a 10mm jumbo LED I had laying around - into the trigger for this relay: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWFCE0Q

I powered the relay directly off the power boards 5V & ground - Ground also to the COM and the motor's ground to the NC.

I didn't have much chance to play, but the shaker is going with the pop-bumpers, center VUK (earthquake), shark VUK & right ramp so far that I noticed.

#24 8 years ago

I have no idea why this works when I put the LED on the circuit, but it does. If anyone has an idea why it works and what I can replace it with let me know.20150622_191254.jpg20150622_191254.jpg20150622_191202.jpg20150622_191202.jpg20150622_191145.jpg20150622_191145.jpg

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

That's pretty awesome, congrats on getting it to work. I picked up a new Baywatch in a two pinball deal, now I need to decide if I'm keeping it and selling my No Fear or selling the BW. Your work with this shaker is making it very hard to decide.

You can store the No Fear at my house for a while If you need any shaker motor parts let me know.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pthermes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-shaker-motor-need-help?tu=pthermes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.