Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by golfingdad1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

10681cab8e520f03cc47bcabdb36fc6a7d8e06a0.jpeg (resized).jpg
78ED8929-223C-4825-93EE-863E2E9B8316 (resized).jpeg
7B86C0D1-B449-4134-BCD4-B82E8DABDDFE (resized).jpeg
1467E583-1F26-45AF-B269-746A07CB9855 (resized).jpeg
switch CPU (resized).jpg
CPU (resized).jpg
BW switch schematic (resized).jpg
BW switch matrix (resized).jpg
7ACF9E2F-EDEE-4348-AB38-C6178C6DB40F (resized).jpeg
21D8D3D3-4C18-4F48-BFFE-435A0CD53D04 (resized).jpeg
DDD10643-0829-4329-8B42-DDEB6FF74AE1 (resized).jpeg
16BB2D6B-8CA3-42FA-A6BD-F75AFEB0E42B (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

With a ball in the shooter lane a press of the right flipper will plunge the ball and fail the skill shot instead of cycling through the skill shot options.

The pictures will likely be out of order, but basically if there isn’t a ball in the shooter lane the right flipper acts properly. If there is one it lights up other switches. If the trough is full it also triggers every switch on the right column that lines up with a trough switch. I’ve replaced diodes on the shooter lane, right outlane, and 5th trough switch because those along with the flipper switch create the box in the matrix. I also pulled the board and reflowed the header pins for the matrix connectors. Also reseated the flipper connectors.

16BB2D6B-8CA3-42FA-A6BD-F75AFEB0E42B (resized).jpeg

DDD10643-0829-4329-8B42-DDEB6FF74AE1 (resized).jpeg

21D8D3D3-4C18-4F48-BFFE-435A0CD53D04 (resized).jpeg

7ACF9E2F-EDEE-4348-AB38-C6178C6DB40F (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

did you check the wiring to those switches?did the problem just occur or during gameplay,fixing or replacing a part?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

did you check the wiring to those switches?did the problem just occur or during gameplay,fixing or replacing a part?

I’m working on it for a friend. This has been an issue for an unknown amount of time as the skill shot never gets selected with the right flipper. I stumbled upon it while testing flipper buttons. Ball happened to be in the shooter lane and it plunged...

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I’m working on it for a friend. This has been an issue for an unknown amount of time as the skill shot never gets selected with the right flipper. I stumbled upon it while testing flipper buttons. Ball happened to be in the shooter lane and it plunged...

ok,i would also look into the wiring to that flipper,it might be wired in the wrong order and if there is a diode there test it.

#5 1 year ago

Following. Hope golfingdad1 can follow this one through. I'm confident you'll be able to find the issue.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Following. Hope golfingdad1 can follow this one through. I'm confident you'll be able to find the issue.

is he having the same problem too?

#7 1 year ago

Check in the settings in the menu and turn off flipper plunge.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

It's his game that OP is working on. He was getting frustrated with the problem to the point of selling, which is a sad way to want to unload such a good game.

#9 1 year ago

also,the schematics would be a huge help in showing how the wiring is placed on the switches and to that flipper

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

This is his game. I’ll check the right side flipper wiring even though that looks factory.

#11 1 year ago

I posted these in the club thread

BW switch matrix (resized).jpg

BW switch schematic (resized).jpg

#12 1 year ago

I also suggested checking the CPU for any misdoings, cold solder joints, connectors, and corrosion, and to reseat connectors in the flipper board. My thoughts lean towards some physical connection or grounding causing this issue.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's his game that OP is working on. He was getting frustrated with the problem to the point of selling, which is a sad way to want to unload such a good game.

oh ok,no dont give up just go over the wiring on those row of switches according to the manual.my best guess is a wire came loose or a wire is placed in the wrong order on one of those switches.since the diodes were replaced you can rule that out.just work your way up the daiseychain of wires.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

This is his game. I’ll check the right side flipper wiring even though that looks factory.

ok,also do a factory reset and see if anything changes

#15 1 year ago

As suggested by chadh in the club thread, go over all of the involved switches (all of the trough switches, inlane/outlane switches, shooter, flippers etc.)

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Oh I'm watching closely

Thanks you guys !

#17 1 year ago

Inspection of the switches in both columns didn't show any signs of shorts or broken wires.

What pulses the columns on the matrix of this boardset? Wondering if a chip is needing to be replaced.

#18 1 year ago

Looks like C115 and C109 from the schematic

CPU (resized).jpg

switch CPU (resized).jpg

#19 1 year ago

I might consider a chip replacement as a last resort, unless there's documentation elsewhere that this resolved a similar issue.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Looks like C115 and C109 from the schematic

yes,thats correct C115 is for (switch drive-columns) and C109 is for (switch return-rows)

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

As suggested by chadh in the club thread, go over all of the involved switches (all of the trough switches, inlane/outlane switches, shooter, flippers etc.)

right, and shooter lane and right flipper are on the same row according to the switch matrix chart

#22 1 year ago

Did you check the shark hole? Sometimes up to five balls can get caught there and cause problems.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from zene10:

Did you check the shark hole? Sometimes up to five balls can get caught there and cause problems.

wouldnt that cause the machine to do a ball search or missing ball message on the display?

#24 1 year ago

5 balls in the Shark Hole is an experience unlike any other.

1467E583-1F26-45AF-B269-746A07CB9855 (resized).jpeg

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

5 balls in the Shark Hole is an experience unlike any other.

5 balls in a hole?? Oh myyyy

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

"Best office in the world "

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

damn!!!!

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

"Best office in the world "

Best orifice in the world.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Best orifice in the world.

Tech thread guys....

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

right, and shooter lane and right flipper are on the same row according to the switch matrix chart

Could anything from the flipper board be causing this? There looks to be a cap on the flipper switch stacks, so is the diode on the flipper board?

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from zene10:

Quoted from FatPanda:

Tech thread guys....

Sorry Panda @ Zene10 got all 5 of his bawls stuck in the Shark Hole on my pin at Zapcon and cant let it go,
It was hilarious especially with all the tje one liners that kept flying throughout the evening!

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Could anything from the flipper board be causing this? There looks to be a cap on the flipper switch stacks, so is the diode on the flipper board?

yes it is possible the flipper board can cause this issue and yes there should be diodes on the flipper board.Also the stack make sure its properly adjusted and check the wiring to the stack.there might be a flackey wire thats needs a touch of solder.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Sorry Panda @ Zene10 got all 5 of his bawls stuck in the Shark Hole on my pin at Zapcon and cant let it go,
It was hilarious especially with all the tje one liners that kept flying throughout the evening!

It's all good. I was having fun, then I realized that there was a game to fix! Want you to be able to enjoy this awesome game 100%! Wish I was nearby so i could see what's going on in person. Sometimes it's just easier that way. No offense at all to the OP. Kudos for him trying to figure it out for you.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's all good. I was having fun, then I realized that there was a game to fix! Want you to be able to enjoy this awesome game 100%! Wish I was nearby so i could see what's going on in person. Sometimes it's just easier that way. No offense at all to the OP. Kudos for him trying to figure it out for you.

desertT1 , is great . Runs the local stuff. And helps us boneheads when and where he can

#35 1 year ago

The green and white wires switch is a typical trough switch. The yellow wires are on the shooter lane switch. Note the band of the diode faces the hinged side on the switch. “Band faces the back” is what I repeat to myself as I wire up diodes. Now look at the wires. Green is in the center. Note where the other wire is on both switches. The shooter lane switch wire is on the wrong lug, bypassing the diode. Right button now acts normal. Thanks for the conversation during this, kept me going.

7B86C0D1-B449-4134-BCD4-B82E8DABDDFE (resized).jpeg

78ED8929-223C-4825-93EE-863E2E9B8316 (resized).jpeg

#36 1 year ago

Alright !
Now how about that Shark hole ?

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Alright !
Now how about that Shark hole ?

If the shark hole is misbehaving, it's probably a switch/solenoid issue. Switch test, solenoid test. Similar troubleshooting.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

If the shark hole is misbehaving, it's probably a switch/solenoid issue. Switch test, solenoid test. Similar troubleshooting.

Fish On !

Its the running joke .
Thanks for the help Panda

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Fish On !
Its the running joke .
Thanks for the help Panda

Gotcha. Wasn't sure if it was an actual problem or not. "Shark's got a mind of it's own"

#40 1 year ago

10681cab8e520f03cc47bcabdb36fc6a7d8e06a0.jpeg (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 24.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside