Baywatch - number of units produced

By KAH66

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

can't find anything about this on the web ... anyone an idea of how many have been produced or been sold? thanx

#2 5 years ago

Too many!

#3 5 years ago

oldskool1969

Not enough, right?

#4 5 years ago

From what I heard the production run was... nearly immaculate!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

oldskool1969
Not enough, right?

No they made enough, I have mine

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Any game with only 600 plays in 12 years can't have been TOO popular with the kids.....

For the OP, I've heard 2200. But I think most Data East/SEGA/Stern games, the numbers are all based on conjecture and anecdotal evidence, and not hard production numbers. Nobody really knows for sure....

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

immamaculate wasn't it?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

immamaculate wasn't it?

Come on guys. It’s imamaculate lol.

So I’ve only played baywatch a handful of times. I read 1200 posts once where it was stated at either 2200 or 3000. Do all 2200 have that awful speaker hum or is that just a data east thing? I know that is trivial but it drives me nuts

#9 5 years ago

BayWatch has become exponentially sought after.....

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Come on guys. It’s imamaculate lol.
So I’ve only played baywatch a handful of times. I read 1200 posts once where it was stated at either 2200 or 3000. Do all 2200 have that awful speaker hum or is that just a data east thing? I know that is trivial but it drives me nuts

Mine didn't have a hum. The one game I regret selling. It did have more than 600 plays in the last ten years though so I probably did alright selling for $1500.

#11 5 years ago

It's not "rare", if that's what you're thinking or if that's what someone is trying to tell you.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's not "rare", if that's what you're thinking or if that's what someone is trying to tell you.

Some games that have production runs of 2200 are a lot more rare than others..... Baywatch is one of the others.

#13 5 years ago

well, thanks so far ... so I take it that around 2.000+ could be the number produced ...

here in Germany you won't see a lot of SEGA Baywatch and I only bought it for personal reasons (life saver in the family) ... and I must say I was very positively suprised. Good quality build, compared to the Batman Forever I owned before ... good looking ramps, nice flow, with Chad SW update and the level of different shots, two video mods etc ... I wouldn't know a difference to a nice B/W game.
Very interesting and unique way for the skillshot and to launch the ball, nice sound, no humming ... only two negatives for me are the dolphin sound from time to time and that changing bulbs (LEDs) is only possible from the top and taking all ramps apart etc.

overall ... a keeper for me and better than tons of over.expensive not supported new Sterns ... where you can't even get plastics once they are broken while the company is still producing games.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from KAH66:

here in Germany you won't see a lot of SEGA Baywatch and I only bought it for personal reasons

That's somewhat surprising. I thought Germans worshiped the Hoff.

#15 5 years ago

well some songs of his maybe ... Night Rider and Baywatch on TV as well .. but pinball in generell mainly B/W, Stern lately ... JJP coming up, but Data East, SEGA, Zaccaria etc only to a minor extend

#16 5 years ago

The last run of Baywatch was a counter top version without legs

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from KAH66:

can't find anything about this on the web ... anyone an idea of how many have been produced or been sold? thanx

somewhere between 1200-2200

I think 1800 is a good spot to guess based on other sales, popularity, timing, history, etc...

Being built in 1995 and based on tracking websites I would guess 800-1000 of them still exist.

#18 5 years ago

While not a perfect survey, the linear coverage of serial numbers submitted to IPSND suggests production of roughly 5,810 units.

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=2848

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from KAH66:

well, thanks so far ... so I take it that around 2.000+ could be the number produced ...

I'm beginning the think this is a real post.

*Un-favorites thread*

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

While not a perfect survey, the linear coverage of serial numbers submitted to IPSND suggests production of roughly 5,810 units.

Note that there are two estimated numbers--linear (5,810) and clustered (1,999).

The numbers based on the submitted ranges are usually inflated simply because there are normally less than 2% of the serial numbers for a production run that get submitted for most titles and the linear/clustered algorithms try to extrapolate from there. Compared to the estimated production numbers of other games surrounding this title and also comparing their linear/clustered numbers, I think that something in the 2,000-3,000 range is probably more realistic.

#21 5 years ago

How many of them are imaculate with no legs?

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

At least one.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

No points if you spell it wrong.

It is imamaculate.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Note that there are two estimated numbers--linear (5,810) and clustered (1,999).
The numbers based on the submitted ranges are usually inflated simply because there are normally less than 2% of the serial numbers for a production run that get submitted for most titles and the linear/clustered algorithms try to extrapolate from there. Compared to the estimated production numbers of other games surrounding this title and also comparing their linear/clustered numbers, I think that something in the 2,000-3,000 range is probably more realistic.

Good point, I admit I know next to nothing about statistital analysis. ,I fully agree that IPSND has weak submission. I am a culprit myself, as I have submitted some games but not others. I just thought 2000 or so might be low, and you are probably more accurate in your estimate.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

That would make it more than double any other sega?

2000 is much more likely based on all the info out there.

#26 5 years ago

Could be quite a bit more as I believe it was a MASSIVE hit in Europe.

#27 5 years ago

I've seen some Baywatch's over the course of time here in Germany.
Let's say they are not rare but not massively produced either.
It's the same as with A13, the games numbers are around 2000-ish and around half of them have survived until today.

Sega pins in general were quite popular in Germany though, Bally Wulff distributed them to operators and resellers around here and the overall build quality was nice since the end of the system 3b era, except for the cabinets which are always damaged on the underside right beneath the coin door.

1 week later
#28 5 years ago
Quoted from chad:

BayWatch has become exponentially sought after.....

That new screen coming out is getting this machine to become sought after and the prices beginning to rise. It's a great game...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-number-of-units-produced and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.