You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170819_000652 (resized).jpg
20170819_000633 (resized).jpg
20170819_000717 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Thought I get some help from the community. I'm attempting to repair the controller board for the Sega Baywatch pinball machine. It suddenly stopped working. All it does that it shows a blank orange video. It constantly resets. Found the video controller chip damaged by corroded pins. No other corrosion found. As I attempted to replace it (including socketing) and with a new replacement chip, the display went completely blank. The resetting happens about every ten seconds. I can see that it will temporarily blink a bright line as it cycles. That's all it's doing. There's 4.95 volts measured at the controller board and the game has a power cable mod to send the proper voltage to the controller. Measured 18 volts at the DMD's 4-pin connector. Baywatch Mary Shelley's Frankenstein Maverick Batman Forever

#2 6 years ago

mine was acting flakey, just reflowed solder on pins and solved problem. Need to get upgrade harness from pinball life too. its only like $15 I think?

#3 6 years ago

If there was corrosion on some pins you might have missed one ore two. I searched two weeks on my board until I found a corroded via hidden under a chip. If the behavior changes with your modification you are on the right track.

#4 6 years ago

Had similar problems a few years ago on Baywatch and it really needs 5 or more volts, even if you are a fraction under the 5vdc, it is enough to possibly be the issue

#5 6 years ago

I'll be testing them on my workbench and switching power supply tonight to see if there is a difference. If not, I'll re-examine the repair and go from there.

#6 6 years ago

here is my old thread from a few years ago, I did make a few mistakes but have a read and check out the last post to the solution by the tech

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-suddenly-died-any-help-please-much-appreciated/page/2

#7 6 years ago

Got them on the workbench with the switching power supply at 5.2VDC and 12VDC to the DMD.
after an exhaustive effort to determine if all signals are being accessed via the video chip (U8), I discovered that the CS signal was severed by its chip. I could not see the trace because it was tucked under the heavy-duty socket I installed. (I'm not going to buy those ever again). Bypassed the trace with a wire, tested continuity and it is reconnected. I turned it on and with the oscilloscope I found signals present on the DMD connector! Powered down, hooked up the DMD display. Turned it on, I got back a blank orange display. I'm scratching my head. Then, I tried wiggling the 4-pin connector on the DMD. Now, I have random bright dots scattered across the display. I wiggled the 4-pin power connector again after I briefly inspected the solder on the other side. I wiggled the 2 pins to make a better contact. I got this:

20170819_000717 (resized).jpg20170819_000717 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

As you can see, I am measuring the voltage off the controller board with one lead in the jumper and another connected to the edge of the board (off pic) via jumper. Now, I decided to run a stress test. Check this out and watch the volt meter as I adjusted the amount of 5V power off the switching power supply:

20170819_000633 (resized).jpg20170819_000633 (resized).jpg

20170819_000652 (resized).jpg20170819_000652 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Ugh, the photos were reversed. Oh well.
The entire controller board successfully booted up on all 3 different voltages. I need to have a solid ground on the ground pin on the DMD when I'm going to put it back together.

3 weeks later
#10 6 years ago

addendum: issues why it won't boot would either be the CPU or the memory chips not working. To my knowledge, there's no known way to find out of these two other using the traditional methods to check. It be nice to have a diagnostic LED and bootup code to determine what went wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-jumbo-dmd-controller-not-working?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.