(Topic ID: 247662)

Baywatch Flippers always enabled. Is 7406 the issue?

By svendmute

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cpu blanking (resized).png
cpu - flipper (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

HI
So I bought this very fine specimen of a Sega baywatch.
It has this annoying issue with the flippers being enabled even when the game is in attract mode. Everything works fine. Popbumbers, slings, gi relay etc...

I've already replaced the q80 transistor and the 7402 (socketed and buzzez out ok) at U2. So I noticed that the blanking signal comes from the 7406 at 12F.
Pin 3 of 7406 is low meaning the relay is on.
Pin 4 is always high.
My guess is that Pin 3 should also be high when in attract mode, since shorting pin 3 and 4 disables the relay. I can hear it click.
So my question is:
Can I assume that the 7406 is bad or is it something more up stream I should look at?

Thanks
Any help or advice is really appreciated!!!

cpu - flipper (resized).pngcpu - flipper (resized).pngcpu blanking (resized).pngcpu blanking (resized).png
#2 4 years ago

I guess, normally would consider posibility that relay contacts could be fused or relay jammed on? (RY1) ... but it seems you have checked that...

Q80 next port of call which you've done.

Possible other might be the 6821 PIA at 11D could cause it ?

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for answering. I changed to 7406 and still no change. BUT I might have found another issue. It could be a broken trace from 12B pin 11 and 12 going to 12e pin 2. Ill keep you posted.

1 week later
#4 4 years ago

Little update: I have been a bit confused by the schematics. On the cpu logic board diagram page 1 of 4 one of the 7406s is labeled to be at 12E but the correct label should’ve been 11F. I replaced both but no change. But I will look at the connections to pia chip at 11D and hopefully I will be wiser. Or should Inlook at the timer chip?

1 week later
#5 4 years ago

So I managed to fix the issue! It turns out that the blanking pins on 12B is 3,6 NOT 9, and 11, 12.
On the schematics its really looks like pin 9 on 12B is also soldered to blanking, but very not logicically as its actually pin 9 on 12A.
Somebody had worked on my board before and made this mistake also.

1 week later
#6 4 years ago

Did you actually change a part? Your last post only seems to identify a problem with a schematic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 24.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-flippers-always-enabled-is-7406-the-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.