20240416_080229 (resized).jpg
20240416_080137 (resized).jpg
IMG_4652 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4653 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4651 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4759 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4749 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slippifishi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4832 1 year ago

The majority of PIN2DMD colour artists stem from the vpin community, myself included, and I believe for a long time we didn't have the ability to run colour projects for large DMDs on vpins (though this is now no longer the case) and for a long time the Sega games didn't get any real love. I personally have a hardware 128x32 PIN2DMD on my desktop I use for development, and this means I don't have a practical way to test projects larger than that - I believe many of the other artists are in the same position.

Another factor (I think) is simply the increase in the number of dots to be coloured - that's a genuine concern, the more dots there are, the longer it takes to colour each frame! But there have been lots of tweaks and additions to the editor in the past couple of years, including some changes to the fill tool that would make it much more practical, as well as the increase in palette size which makes dynamic (ColorMask) scenes much easier in terms of managing your colours - this includes the main score screen alluded to a few posts ago, I bet it isn't as difficult as Sudsy thinks any more

Stick at it for a bit Soulrider911 - it's a long slog for sure, you can expect several months of a few hours per day, but if you're willing to put the work in it's very rewarding seeing your work on screen, and even more so when other owners reach out to ask for or compliment your work. There are lots of tips and tricks and threads full of advice on the vpuniverse.com forums if you are serious about it, but make sure you are comfortable with what's in store before you go that far - keep trying and see how you feel, and let us know how you get on!

#4842 1 year ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

So, prove me wrong.

I don't deny there are challenges and it's a lot of work; the boat, helicopter and jetski in the background definitely create some interesting scenarios combined with the different digits that may appear in the score, but some digits are always 0, and some digits share common "spaces", so with some focused dumping for specific scores and digits in certain positions, I reckon they can all be handled with LCM and some clever detection masks.

I already have a couple of projects in progress at the minute (South Park and Demo Man v2), so I will pass on proving the point at this stage. This is a hobby for me and I prefer to work on projects I will get the benefit from (see my previous post, I have a 128x32 display; if you want to donate an XL display for me to colour this then go for it! ), but if/when Soulrider gets to that point then I have already told him I will be willing to help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slippifishi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only?tu=slippifishi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.