IMG_9109 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8294 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8292 (resized).jpeg
20231226_091120 (resized).jpg
Baywatch (resized).jpg
IMG_0416 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6100 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ive.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#405 8 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Regrettably I've had to leave the BW club in order to join the Wh20 club!!
It's been emotional. Hopefully I'll return some day

You're dead to me Gaz. Oh hang on ....Whitewaterrrrrrrrrrr !! ....you live another day

3 months later
#559 8 years ago
Quoted from dgoodspeed:

I have done a Baywatch before and it was one of the most difficult playfields to tear down and put back together...I just don't want to go down that path again, but my current one could use some touch up/clean up on the rails.
Thanks!

Damn, didn't want to hear that. Been putting off doing mine forever - I usually get as far as looking at the mass of stuff at the top end of the playfield and think ...meh ...its not looking that bad, I'll start it another day I have done a WH20, TZ, STTNG and plenty more but for some reason this just screams 'ball ache' every time I look at it.

7 months later
#631 7 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

Hello everyone, I just picked up a baywatch and need some help. I was wondering if anyone can post a pic of the underneath of the lower playfield. I have the lite orbit and the lite shark flip inserts wired into the GI and are always on, is this wired correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is correct.

#633 7 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

I appreciate the response, so it right, they are always on?
Thanks

Yes.

3 months later
#722 7 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

That is awesome I have never heard of that either. So does anyone's machine have any craw sightings?

Well on mine it displays like this ...... ????? ..... those little quotation marks above the text move back and forth. My ROM is USA 4.00

No idea what it all means At the start of the waterski video mode the boat flag has 'CRAW' written on it.

P1010256 (resized).JPGP1010256 (resized).JPG

#728 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I'd like to compile a complete list of bugs and issues with Baywatch. Please reply with anything I do not have listed here.
1) CPR Mode - If you complete the mode, the game displays a 50M completion bonus. However, this 50M is not added to the score.
2) Diver Trapped Mode - The bonuses that are added to your score as you make the shots are incorrect. They are displaying 20M, then 30M, then 40M, then 50M, but instead they are granting 10M, then 20M, then 30M, then 40M.
3) End Of Ball Bonus is incorrectly displaying the amount granted for Rescue Missions. The game is supposed to give you 3M times the amount of Rescue Missions completed... however, it is not displaying the correct amount here. Although, it is granting the correct amount in the total.... so this is purely a display error.
4) The upper right gate opens in certain modes to allow a Left Orbit shot to pass. However, often on a fast shot, the gate is not opening quickly enough to allow the ball to pass and the ball is instead deflected down into the SPF rollover lanes.
5) The lower right gate (just above the shark flipper) opens at certain times (such as during Skill Shot 3) to let the ball pass into the kickback. However, the gate often closes too quickly which does not give the ball enough time to pass.
6) If game Adjustment 32 (Coil Pulse Power) is set to High then the upper right gate does not function correctly at all.

Hi Chad

Have noticed this when collecting Shark Awards - usually for the 30Mill Award, but think I have seen it for the subsequent awards also - the text/display is all wrong.

Regarding the Shark Awards I find on my game the amount of time to make the Shark scoop/award from the Shark flipper is *REALLY* tight, the light flashes for maybe a second at most, I find that often even fast shots to the Scoop simply don't make it in time to register ??? Anyone else notice this ? I don't think I see any Adjustment option for it.

P1010257 (resized).JPGP1010257 (resized).JPG

#734 7 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Here is the result of the secret flipper combo on my machine.. That's a lot of craw sightings!

Haha !! What ??? We *need* to know what the heck this is all about

1 month later
#785 7 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Just so we are all on the same page.....and I know every machine is different....but what does everyone have there shark flip set at? Can't get mine perfect. Maybe something to think about if you do decide to re write some code chad.

After some research a while back, someone recommended setting '1' ..........which is what I use, it makes it ....'sometimes' . I dont think any setting is gonna make this thing very reliable tbh.

1 week later
#816 7 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Send me a link to where I can buy that? All the ones I tried to find on eBay were sold out

Try Amazon also. They have def had them listed in the past.

1 week later
#837 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I think it advances every time you complete the 5 shark targets?

No. Completing Shark targets lites the (next to useless) Shark Flip feature.

#838 7 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Can anyone tell me what triggers the "Collect Shark Awards" located directly above the flippers? I would think it is shooting the shark hole, but even with the glass off I can't get the machine to advance past the first one....

Yep ....Shooting The Shark Hole is correct. When the ball feeds to the Shark flipper it triggers the Shark Hole briefly, lamp above should flash, and if you immediately make the shot you'll advance/be awarded a Shark Award.

However, I have found on my game that the time allowed to make the shot is REALLY tight, and often even what seems a quick successful shot wont count. Even doing it manually with the glass off is tough.

I believe chad is looking at the timing of this in his code tweak

1 week later
#871 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

There are voice calls that say "Shoot the left ramp", "Shoot the middle ramp", and "Shoot the right ramp". I believe these are unused. I am adding these into the end of Copter Rescue where the roving ramps collect the 50M bonus. A little extra help for the player to know where to shoot.

Great stuff.

Although that Copter Rescue mode is my nemesis .......the safe but boring route is to time it out but I can never resist trying to complete it but damn is it dangerous repeatedly shooting those standup targets ....usually ends in a SDTM and an expletive

7 months later
#1265 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

You are truly amazing for taking on this code rewrite for all us baywatch owners. Do you think its easier to hit the scoop or targets? I find it easier to hit the scoop than the targets so I personally would find the mode much easier to complete if I just had to hit the scoop 4 times.

I always hit the scoop on that mode, hold upper flipper up ...it's a pretty big target. There is a little bit of risk when the ball comes back out of the scoop but can usually get it quickly under control on right flipper, rinse repeat.

Can't wait to play the new code Chad !

3 weeks later
#1337 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I like to play in darkness or with dim lights, and when all the lights flash off/on, it becomes pretty unbearable, so for me, it's definitely worth getting the board to smooth it out. Plus, with every flash, there's a click, and again, to me, it detracts from the game. I'm not sure why DE/Sega decided to do that, but I think it takes away more than it adds.

Pretty sure someone mentioned on here that replacing the power driver board with a new Rottendog or XPin gets rid of the clicking relay. That would at least remove the clicking annoyance

2 weeks later
#1491 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Fire up your ROM burner...
Baywatch unofficial patch version 4.01 is RELEASED!
Your journey starts here:
http://www.pinballcode.com/
Read all the changes here:
http://www.pinballcode.com/bw401
This patch contains many bug fixes and game play updates. I hope you all enjoy this one. Looking forward to your thoughts after you get some time with the update!
EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS to whysnow for lending me his game for this project! This would not have been possible without him. (Now does anyone have a Data East Star Trek near me for sale or that I can borrow?)
HUGE thanks to sudsy7 for many in depth suggestions and testing! Also, thanks to tsskinne and pomc for additional testing.
Thanks to all of you who sent suggestions and ideas. I obviously cannot implement everything but I think many of you will see updates you suggested.
Enjoy!

Fantastic !!

Massive thanks Chad , looks like you have done it again - can't wait to dive into this one

Cheers. IVE

#1514 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I know people avoid copter rescue, but I'm a tool and I play out all of my modes haha. Glad to see he made it a little less painful though, as it was one that 50/50 made me drain. I'm sure I'm going to love it! Can't wait!

Fellow tool here I love playing the modes - very satisfying when you do complete them. But yeah Copter Rescue is always the toughest.

Hopefully have my code by the weekend. Can't wait.

3 weeks later
#1651 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Please help me settle a dispute. What is the Hoff saying at game start - "__________ coast guard station, we're in route"? Fill in the blank -3 people in my house are hearing it differently. Is it "Point bridge", "Corn bread", "Port beach", or none of the above?

My brother in law and I always have a chuckle saying its Woodbridge coast guard station ....... which is only funny to us because the inlaws live there and it is nowhere near the ocean . Its the little things in life

1 month later
#1924 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

No, Stern, Data East, Sega has not publicly stated the number of machines produced ever I believe.

There are confirmed numbers for Data East machines. See ipdb entries for Tommy, Jurassic Park etc ....

But yeah no confirmed numbers on Sega games.

Based purely on how often I see Baywatch come up (in the UK at least) I'd say similar to Tommy, maybe more often ? ...So my guess is 4500/5000 ish ???

#1928 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

3000 is the absolute top IMO.
Tommy was a hit when it came out and sold well, but the better data to look at are the Sega games selling before and after it...
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/sega/2
Apollo13 sold 2000, MSF sold 3000, BMF sold 2500.
Baywatch was extremely unpopular when it came out and I have been told by multiple operators from back in that era that BW was a poorly sold game (likely the worst of all the 1995 Sega titles).
I predict 1500 made based on all the info available.

If those Sega numbers are confirmed then yeah no reason to assume BW was much different.

#1933 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Ever notice how every game on eBay is supposedly "rare"? It's so funny. It doesn't even matter what game it is ... "Addams Family Pinball Machine **ULTRA RARE** ... LMAO

Agree .

Another way of looking at it though.....If they are selling to a non collector then most pins are pretty rare, outside of pinball circles where do you see these games these days ? I'm thinking of non pinheads reactions to my games over the years - its funny sometimes they have *no* concept of age/worth/rarity ...often they have never seen these things up close - ever

1 week later
#1999 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am curious if that is the final price or just for the initial run?
I will say that since replacement DMDs are similar cost (if available), I am stoked to know that color can be had for the same price.
Also I think the first early adopters could easily sell their large format original DMD (assuming good and bright) fro $350 or more to save on the cost of color.

True there is money to be recouped selling your old display....but $350 ??... if I was thinking of spending $350 for a used old original - which lets face it could start flaking out anytime - I'd probably find the extra for a brand new ColorDMD.

#2025 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Here's an even tougher sell to Canadians, sucks to have our exchange. Not for me right now.........
469 US Dollars
or 469 USD to CAD:
= 602,06 Canadian Dollar's

Here in the UK ...we are paying about £350 for a regular ColorDMD .... which makes it almost US$500 ........... ...... so the large display is gonna be something like US$600+ for us.

#2103 6 years ago

Today ....today ....today ..........PLEASE make it today we see some good video

It looks INCREDIBLE

#2112 6 years ago

From a friend at TPF. Thanks Neil!

#2135 6 years ago

Just a few pics that one of the UK visitors took and posted up on Pinballinfo. Thanks Paul

526387E8-822D-457F-B5BD-33C15E8B5938 (resized).jpeg526387E8-822D-457F-B5BD-33C15E8B5938 (resized).jpeg
D66F928C-4090-41DF-BA21-1107482FE0EC (resized).jpegD66F928C-4090-41DF-BA21-1107482FE0EC (resized).jpeg
B2606887-3220-48A0-BA25-C3FAEB07E96E (resized).jpegB2606887-3220-48A0-BA25-C3FAEB07E96E (resized).jpeg

5 months later
#2555 5 years ago

Hi Baywatchers

I have recently got my Baywatch back from loan to a friend. It was working fine when he had it, and he recently installed Chads new game code.

Couple of questions ......

1. Is it right that only the left hand pop bumper flashes at certain times ? The other 2 appear to be GI controlled. I thought they all flashed before but I could be wrong ???

2. The trapdoor wasn't opening to Lock balls. I checked the coil and the ramp entrance switch - both check out fine. Looking in adjustments I noticed Adj 51 referred to the trapdoor and multiball ...although the definition wasn't entirely clear to me ?? Anyway this was set to NO, I switched it to YES to see if it had any effect and now my trapdoor seems to be working fine ?? Seems odd as the Default setting is NO.
Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#2558 5 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

The key word is Multiball - Mine never re-opens during multiball . So I don't know what you have going on but ,I don't think that is the adjustment your looking for . That's why NO is the default .

Yep. I agree. It'a a bit puzzling. Strange that when I set this to YES my trapdoor/ball lock begins to work properly again - obviously this is before any multiball.
I'm going to look more at it today.

#2560 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

1. The left bumper is the only one that flashes periodically. If you get squid pops, it flashes constantly.
2. Adj 51 enables the trapdoor, so it must be set to YES to work. YES is the default in Chad's code.

Thanks.

Yep - I was just trying it again. Set on YES then everything is fine. Odd that mine was set to NO - my friend had only played a few games with the new code and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been messing about with the adjustments.

And yeah just looked at chads notes on http://www.pinballcode.com/bw401

Made it so Adjustment 51 will Enable or Disable the Left Ramp Trap Door (default is Enabled/Yes). If the Trap Door is disabled then a regular Left Ramp shot will always count as the same Lock or Jackpot shot.

Thanks again. I can now stop scratching my head

#2561 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I could be wrong, but I think that adjustment is for the diverter above the shark flipper. If set to yes, it will open during multiball so you can lock a ball in there. I believe this gives you double scoring until the ball is released.

Just tried it again and the diverter opens regardless of the setting. And yes it gives Double Jackpot scoring for a short time before kicking the ball back into play.

#2563 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Glad you figured it out.
I heard that some tournaments (PAPA?) and location operators where physically disabling the Trap Door in their games for various reasons. I wanted to make the Trap Door to be controllable in software instead of requiring the cutting of wires. That's why I changed that rarely used Adjustment to serve this function. The only problem is that since my update was a CPU ROM only update, I couldn't update the description text of the adjustment to better clarify what it means.

Thanks for your efforts Chad - you have made a great game even better !

Loving being able to work through the Shark awards properly.

#2565 5 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I was under the impression that the "Returns Open Trap Door" settings were for a ball that didn't fully make the tower ramp, and returned back down would still open the trap door.

I can't get my head around the original Adjustment ??? ............. why would it ever open in Multiball anyway ?? And the position of the trapdoor is pretty early on the tower ramp , such that balls will either make it in if its open or they will stall beyond it....in which case you can't have it open as its hinged for balls going up the ramp not coming down

I'm just glad I have Chads code running and it's all good

1 week later
#2583 5 years ago

Who else has this happen a lot ..........

'Tourist Season' mode begins ! ...woo yeah ....awesome This time I'm gonna *really* nail it.

*instantly loses a ball*

'Tourist Season' mode over.

I can't remember the last time I had a decent crack at it. The curse of the the 2 ball mode. See also ....every other 2 ball mode in pinball

#2587 5 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I usually can do pretty well on it by catching a ball on the right flipper and just repeating the right ramp with the left flipper. One of my favorite modes for sure.

Yep .....that's always my plan

#2599 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

still such a shame that this game is not even in the top 100 on pinside rankings.
Owners need to step it up and get this thing up to the immaculate 100.

Yep.

Ratings are pretty meaningless ....however ......its crazy for example that Black Rose, Judge Dredd, Dr.Who are all rated above Baywatch. Decent enough games but I have owned all those and they are *long* gone ...... Baywatch outstayed them all !

If say Stern came out with a game now with Baywatch playfield layout .... people would be hosing themselves. It's an incredible layout

2 weeks later
#2622 5 years ago

ALSO, for any BW newbies, acquire and toss in the new "Chad code" WORTH it for the gameplay!! Changed my whole BW world

Agreed ! Finally the Shark Awards are go ! And the huge improvement to the gate opening/timing and the slight increase to the time to make the Shark scoop have improved things immensely.

No insta multiball is a huge differnece , now you can really work the Tower awards when you want to instead of fighting NOT to get the Locks lit, plus all the other tweaks.

I loved Baywatch before, I love it even more now !

1 week later
#2632 5 years ago

Had a great game last night. I didn’t get as many modes done as I wanted BUT I hit my first huge shark hole jackpot last night during a game, it was soooo gratifying, one shark hole drop got me 225,000,000. Got my score a big bump. Ended up somewhere around 1.777 bill

I'm generally finding my scores are a bit lower since the Chad update.I think my current best is around 1.4 bill . On the old code I had multiple scores over 2.5 bill. Obviously that was over a longer time period but I just dont seem to be breaking 1 bill as often as I used to.

I'm guessing in the main because I'm not getting the multiball as frequently.

3 weeks later
#2669 5 years ago

Looking for a decent condition Ironman plastic if anyone has one in their spares stash

Maybe a Tourist Season one too ...

#2672 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

O and another trick is heating a paperclip and inserting the wire in the bottom of the treetrunk
The rest of the clip bend it so you can attach it under a locknut or screw.
This way you can place 2 trees on one paperclip and make groups of trees.
You can also dismantle the tree and only use the leafs as foliage[quoted image]

Works well on JP

2 weeks later
#2689 5 years ago

My game has suddenly stopped doing the ' Baywatch will be right back' quote when it's switched on - it boots fine , just in silence now

Why would this be ? It doesn't appear to be an issue, just wondering why.

#2692 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

It was partially cut off at the end before Chads code also. Don’t know why it does it, Chad would probably know what’s going on.

Don't many Data East / Sega games do it ....? I know my Tommy does, and pretty sure Star Wars does. Someone told me the length of the soundbite relates to how fast your game boots ??

I just wondered why mine had suddenly gone completely

4 weeks later
#2719 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I had two firsts this week:
1. I hit my first "Hot Babe" jackpot by making a side ramp shot after completing all six Tourist Season ramp shots.

oooooh ....I didn't even know about this !

I really need to work on my Tourist Season play though ..... I usually crash and burn before I can get rolling on it

#2728 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Hi guys can anyone tel me where this foam block goes?
Had the playfield up to adres a bulb and suddenly it was lying in the back
Its a little curved and sticky backside has two dots/screwmarks?
Any help is appreciated
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

On my backbox lightboard top right there is a small block of wood and it has a piece of black foam VERY like that attached.

#2729 5 years ago

This has been puzzling me for some time ...... at various points when I'm playing I will hear a steady ' Bleep ....bleep...bleep...bleep' sound playing , almost like a countdown. It does about 4 or 5 'bleeps' then stops. I really can't figure out what activates it or what it means ?? I NEED to know !

#2734 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

When you knock out one drop target, the game give you a few seconds to knock out the rest. The beep I think tells you the drop targets are about to reset.

Ahhhh ......thankyou ! I can sleep tonight

1 week later
#2750 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Got a display issue. Keeps flashing the startup screen and going blank like it keeps resetting. I thought it was the J1 5v issue so I had that sega bulletin cable "improvement" that I just installed. Used the correct IDC punch tool on CN6. I get 4.87vdc on J1.
The test point for 5vdc on the power board is 5.92vdc. Mpu and sound board work just fine. Can play games 100% just without the display working.
Not sure if I should go investigate 5v stuff on the power board or if something on the display driver is causing the voltage to drop. [quoted image]

The ribbon cables to the DMD can cause similar issues also. Try reseating, swapping the ends round, clean pins with IPA, and/or install new ribbons.

1 week later
#2772 5 years ago

Has anyone ever done anything creative with the lower pop bumper ?

Minor thing as its slightly hidden but it has always bugged me that visible bulb and half a plastic I have a yellow condom on the bulb on mine.

baywatch_popbumpers_start (resized).jpgbaywatch_popbumpers_start (resized).jpg
#2780 5 years ago

Looking for a good condition 'Ironman' plastic .

Anyone help ?

Thanks

#2782 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

ebay.com link » Sega Baywatch Pinball Machine Used Lot Of Ramp Entry Plastic Sign Assemblys Etc

Yes - have seen those. The shipping to the UK kind of kills it ...nearly $30 shipping Seems a LOT for some small pieces of plastic.

Bay Area had NEW Ironman a little while ago for about $5 ...should have got one.

1 week later
#2792 5 years ago

So running Chads code ........ what is the highest score you have seen on the Water Ski Video Mode ??

With my tried and tested pattern I usually hit 208 million if I don't screw up somewhere . I think *possibly*...once .... I had 216 or 220 Million but I may have imagined that.

I still don't totally understand the scoring, as there are times when I am sure I have hit less ramps than a run before , or wipeout earlier and yet score more

#2794 5 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I think mine is 250M or so, but I usually go through the mode perfectly. I can check that number when I get home. For reference, I've posted a video on how to complete (this is from the original code, but the mode hasn't changed other than scoring).

Ahh - cool. That is pretty much my pattern, except for around the 14 sec point in your vid where I was going far right not middle and missing a ramp out.

Thanks for posting !

#2804 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I can backhand the lock shot, but I can't backhand it all the way up the ramp.

Same here

4 weeks later
#2847 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Sorry...not quite sure what you mean by replicate it. It happens sometimes when a ball is served to the shooter "lane" at the beginning of a ball and sometimes after a video mode. It doesn't happen 100% of the time in these instances though, so sometimes never, sometimes 2 or 3 times a game but only in those conditions. It doesn't happen during regular play or when balls are served to the shooter lane after a lock or in multiball.

So it absolutely 100% ONLY happens in those 2 scenarios ?? Strange

I had DMD resetting that plagued me for ages - had the 5V upgrade, changed connectors, reflowed joints. The issue would come and go. Finally I swapped the ribbon cable for another. Touch wood ...hasn't reset for months now. Have you swapped ribbons ? Might be worth a shot.

#2852 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Are you taking about the cable from the MPU to the DMD?

Yes

1 month later
#2901 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I used ice blues and cyans. Most people will not like it but I do.[quoted image]

I'm glad you do

1 week later
#2915 4 years ago
Quoted from Rocketrob:

Finally got a BayWatch I will post pictures this weekend once I clean it up. Excited to be apart of the David hasslehoff crew.

And you live in California ..... kind of

Welcome to the best office in the world! Highly recommend running Chads updated game code if it isn't already installed.

#2943 4 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Is there a way to keep the yellow target from not moving right/left? Just tightening them? The yellow target next to middle hole (extra ball) keeps moving right and in turn makes that shot extra difficult to hit.

Yep. Have the same problem.

1 month later
#2970 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Just popping in to say "hi" and that I really freaking miss this game.

Aaaagh ....I don't want to hear that as I'm thinking of selling mine due to space issue, but know I'll regret it

9 months later
#3330 4 years ago
Quoted from DHVincent:

Having some problems, unsure if they are related or all caused by the same thing...
When I would start my BW, it would say 'Baywatch will be right back' and work as normal. After a few minutes, the sound would drop out, but the call outs would work, then it would say bay watch will be right back over and over.
After resetting some cables, the sound problem seems to be ok. However, now the screen goes black and resets, showing the version screen. Also when you turn it on, it says 'baywatch will be...' and then loads as normal.
I already have a rottendog board installed. Any ideas? Thanks!

Most likely your 5v is low or dropping somewhere.

Search other posts on here - been discussed often as quite a common problem with Sega / DE games.

EDIT -
Also read here

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts-blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/sb106.pdf

#3332 4 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

not discounting this, but they say they have a new rottendog...

Yep - time to get the meter out. If 5v is good off the board - then bad connections could be causing issues.

1 week later
#3343 4 years ago
Quoted from freshjive:

Can anyone help me with this?
I just purchased BW and assume its possible. I can hear the music in the background, but if I use the pot to turn the sound up the sound effects get louder as well.
I believe other data east machines there was a game volume setting in the adjustment that took care of this. I cannot seem to find this adjustment.

Not on option on Baywatch

2 weeks later
#3368 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Now that my machine is restored and working, what tips are there for ensuring the skill shot side ramp works properly?
Mine gets the ball to the side coil 1 in 3 times and then the side coil fires it around to the flipper about 1 in 3 times also. This makes the side ramp skill shot a pretty rare occurrence. The correct coils are in each of the plunger spots and the 2 lift gates work fine

Hi mate

Are you running Chads Baywatch code ? I know he tweaked the gate timing to make some shots more reliable. I'm not sure if that is your issue or not ?

1 month later
#3421 3 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Got a Baywatch 6 weeks ago great game lots of shots

Indeed . I once plotted the possible shots from all flippers on it and I'm pretty sure it beats almost any other machine ! I've said it before if this layout came out now on a Stern machine - people would be losing their minds

4 weeks later
#3463 3 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Ha. colonel_caverne I forgot the link. ebay.com link » Data East Baywatch Pinball Playfield Nos

Besides a little wear at the shark hole - my playfield is in great shape. The clearcoat seems really thick. No wear at any inserts. Most Baywatch I see seem to have held up pretty good.

#3464 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Thanks.
Yep - I was just trying it again. Set on YES then everything is fine. Odd that mine was set to NO - my friend had only played a few games with the new code and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been messing about with the adjustments.
And yeah just looked at chads notes on http://www.pinballcode.com/bw401
Made it so Adjustment 51 will Enable or Disable the Left Ramp Trap Door (default is Enabled/Yes). If the Trap Door is disabled then a regular Left Ramp shot will always count as the same Lock or Jackpot shot.
Thanks again. I can now stop scratching my head

OK - weird behaviour time.

This raised its head again.
The machine had been packed up for 6 months. I set it up , start a game and the trap door isn't opening to lock balls. Gate switch and trap door test fine.

Check Adjustment 51 - it is set to YES so should work.

Just to check I'm not confused with setting I set it to NO - try in game, same problem - trap door disabled.

I set it back to YES - and it's all fine, the trap door opens to lock balls

Anyone else experienced this.

#3473 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

You tested the switch by manually pushing a ball up the ramp I assume?
I would change the switch anyway. I came across I switch that was internally damaged. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Turned out to be a coincidense that it wanted to work in switch test, but not when in a game.

Yes - with a ball and seemed fine. I may change it anyway. As you say might be coincidence. The entry switch on the Caroline ramp was intermittant last year and needed changing. Maybe they are all original and reaching the end of their lives

3 months later
#3560 3 years ago

DE ball trough issues - Useful video from Chad

5 months later
#3802 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I use one of these - it's simple, effective and way cheaper than anti-glare glass.
https://www.pinballlife.com/bent-plastic.html

Yep. And if you are really cheap you can make similar out of card .... I am and I did

#3806 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’m not quite getting what you mean sorry. Can I see a pic installed please?[quoted image]

The smaller edge sits on top of playfield glass and slips under the top edge of the rear playfield receiving channel. So its sandwiched between the 2 and held there. Most machines you can just slide it in place, if the glass is a tight fit though you may need to release the glass and slide it back in place with the glare guard in situ.

This probably makes it all sound way more complicated than it is. Honestly you won't have a problem figuring it out

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
1 week later
#3825 3 years ago

So are people getting Earthquake more often from the Shark shots or from making the 5 character/mode shots x 3 ?
I find since Chads code update sorted out the Shark awards I concentrate on that if I want to get to Earthquake. Even if tbh Earthquake is a little underwhelming as far as a Wizard Mode goes ... I still enjoy seeing it.

#3830 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

can someone confirm how Shark awards work? I feel like lately Ive pretty much stopped getting any.

When the switch just above the shark flipper is triggered the Shark scoop light will flash briefly - you have about a second to make a clean shot from the Shark flipper into the scoop. Each successful Shark shot will give you the Shark award or advance towards the next one ...I think the last couple awards need at least a couple of clean Shark shots each. It does display on screen how many more needed. So in total you need to make about 8 or 9 successful Shark shots to collect all awards and light Earthquake.

This is with Chads updated code. He extended the timer very slightly as on the original code it was almost impossible to get the shot made in the allotted time. Also the awards count was messed up on the original and I'm not sure you could ever actually get all the awards. So you really need Chads code installed.

#3832 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Thanks, thats sort of what I thought. But maybe Im just not making that shot very often. Ive noticed if I collect the 25mil shark flip shot, it doesnt award a shark award, I assume that's normal too?

Yeah.

I have never fully understood the Shark Flip, the Shark targets and how it works with qualifying for the Shark high score initials In all the years of owning BW I rarely seem to get my initials on there ...I think its currently on the default name still.

#3836 3 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

Shark High score is for getting to the portion of Multi-ball where you score a jackpot in the Shark Hole. Pretty sure it is simply based on the last person to do it as well.

Thanks ! Not sure how I never figured this out but thanks

#3838 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Thanks for the run through. I have never been able to undo the SOF (Swords of Fury) initials and now I know why.

Haha ...I call it that too

3 months later
#3914 2 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Needed to break down my Baywatch to get it into the basement. U-Turn stairs won't fit a folded cab + dolly.
Holy David Hasselhoff that playfield is HEAVY.

Yep - the playfield is loaded ! 4 flippers, drop target bank, multiple scoops/saucers/kickers/wireforms. Underneath the playfield is jammed with stuff

#3925 2 years ago

Baywatch is just ramp and wireform overload - love it

1 month later
#3964 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Hey guys my Baywatch is giving me a few minor issues. The 1st is every once and awhile I will hear the game reset. It will do the baywatch will be right back almost like it was turned off and then turned back on.
The second issue is with the color DMD. Every once and awhile the display will freeze on whatever image on the screen while the game continues to play. If I bump the dmd or even try to remove it, it starts working again.
Any suggestions? I am guessing that reset issue is maybe the power supply going bad. I can check voltages when I get home

Reset is a 5v issue

https://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/sb/sb106.pdf

3 weeks later
#3999 2 years ago
Quoted from SirMachismo:

Someone found a tiny surfboard at a flea market (on a matchbox size car) and put it in the guard tower. Sadly I have been looking for one ever since. Let me find the post.
Edit: Post #62

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Surfboards-Figure-Collectible-For-1-64-Scale-Diorama-Model-/124818913319?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Something like this ? Not sure exactly on size

Or this little van model ?

46EB00E5-81B9-45AE-BD89-523673F05566 (resized).png46EB00E5-81B9-45AE-BD89-523673F05566 (resized).pngEE1F1320-2C60-40B7-ABE2-F662584CDF25 (resized).jpegEE1F1320-2C60-40B7-ABE2-F662584CDF25 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#4028 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Very cool topper, which I had the ceiling height for it!
What is it about Baywatch - The more I play it the more I like it. My other machines are #TWD , World Cup Soccer , and Star Trek (Premium/LE). I have a Godzilla (Premium) on order. One of my machines needs to go in order to make room and it was going to be Baywatch, but I enjoy it too much! What is it about this game? It's corny, a little clunky, and WAY non-PC these days, but it keeps me entertained and coming back.

It’s a killer layout, great flow, 4 flippers, multiple ramps and wire forms,clever diverters, drop targets, trap door, 6 ball multi ball - the playfield is stacked ! Great big screen dots, decent rule set especially with Chads tweaked code .
Picked mine up cheap 10 years ago and it has out lasted many other titles

1 month later
#4050 2 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Seems to only happen in the right lane and it's not always based on kicking out of the VUK. Maybe it thinks it's being booted from the shark hole..

You will also get a ball save if the Laser Kick results in a ball drain

#4057 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I don't have any issues like that. So if there is something weird happening, it's likely machine specific and not a problem with Chad's code itself.

I agree. I get the ball saves but only as a result of Shark kick outs or Laser Kick that drain almost immediately.
I’d check all the switches carefully , maybe something flaky going on in the switch matrix.

1 week later
#4076 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Yeah I got in touch with Pinball Haus over eBay. Turns out shipping plastics to the states these days is prohibitively expensive for just one plastic. Been trying to figure out if it's worth getting a whole repro set from PinballCenter in Germany but their shipping scenarios seem funky.

PinballCenter don’t have a great reputation here for quality - colours and details often off.
If it’s the only option then ok but just be aware. I have had stuff from them over the years, some ok , some unacceptable.

#4086 2 years ago

Agree. It’s no better or worse than Thing Flips on TAF. I don’t really see the point of either tbh just a bit of a gimmick

#4090 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Shark flips should give the next shark award.

I understand the award , I meant that it’s so unreliable I’d rather flip myself Certainly on my TAF I could hit the swamp almost every time whereas Thing Flips was considerably less accurate.

4 months later
#4216 2 years ago

Just thinking out loud here ….As much as I love Baywatch I do find that like many 90s pins the video modes are less than satisfying .
The water skiing is pretty brutal unless you memorise a route through - any inexperienced player usually lasts seconds before slamming into something.
The beach race mode is just moderate button bashing for free points - does anyone not win the race !?!

#4261 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

ColorDMD is a must. With the orange the animations really don't stand out, but the ColorDMD folks knocked it out of the park. Plus, sell your OG DMD if still good and get half your money back on the ColorDMD. Even use the ColorDMD box to ship the OG display.
Yours might already have, but the 5V display kit for the serivice bulliton is a must if your DMD cuts out on you while playing. Works like a charm.
Shaker, don't know. I'm in the camp that doesn't like moving old electronics around like that.
Chad's code is great, but not a must. What I really wish I had was an OCD LED controller, but not available. Chad's code help, but what can be done with code is limited.
Some people like putting Barbie Doll toys, plastic aquatic animals, and plastic palm trees; I would avoid that.

Disagree . Chads code is a MUST - if only for fixing the Shark awards ! Before the fix they were fubar with all sorts of issues. Plus lots of other tweaks and fixes also of courses. Turns a good game into a very good game.

#4267 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I went with plastic palm trees at the back and I quite like the result but understand it’s not for everyone
I also went with mirror blades with the decals over the top of them[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks stunning . One day my BW can look as good. Well played sir.

3 weeks later
#4334 1 year ago
Quoted from CosmoConstant:

Looking good.
2 things though …. Some nice apron cards would help….and lose the Lego people

#4338 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Looks so awesome. Don't listen to that guy about the apron cards. 95% of custom apron cards look like dogshit.
Excellent cabinet, you scored yourself a real looker.
If I were you I would buy a set of the NOS Sega Flipper Bats from Pinball Life to have on hand. Yours look a little crusty and I've seen plennnnnty of old flipper bats break with new titan or superbands on them.
Also WOW your wireforms look great.
Great job.

Some aren’t great but can usually find some cool ones. All personal taste of course.Not sure they look worse though than a yellowed dog eared price card but each to their own

#4346 1 year ago

I went ahead and ordered these off of EBay. Hopefully they are exactly as described.
A PAIR OF NEW CUSTOM APRON CARDS FOR THE 1995 SEGA 'BAYWATCH' PINBALL MACHINE.
PRINTED ONTO PHOTO PAPER & LAMINATED.
APPROX. MEASUREMENTS 138mm x 75mm.
[quoted image][quoted image]

If that is the seller here in the UK then you are fine - I have bought from him many times, great quality and always fit perfectly.

#4353 1 year ago

What is the trick to removing and replacing the bottom two flippers on Baywatch? The less I have to do the better.
[quoted image]

If you are switching in new bats then may as well check the condition and replace other parts….plunger/link/pawl, coil stop ,coil sleeve

1 week later
#4394 1 year ago
Quoted from Triplecdad:

I am going to replace the rubbers on my BW. My game was on route in Germany, so no manual. Is there a diagram showing locations and sizes anywhere on this site or online? Thanks, and yes, I am dreading shopping out this game, but when one of my flipper rubbers fell apart, it was a sign from Pamela that I needed to pay more attention to her.

I just recently replaced all rubbers and GI lights in mine. I too had been dreading it .... but you know what it wasn't too bad at all.

I basically did it in 2 hits - doing the top right area , and then the top left area ...so I didn't have too much confusion and could get it back together in a couple hours.

Once you start looking its pretty clear what needs to come off in what order.
Top tip - the entire lifeguard tower mech comes out as one unit , just the 2 small entrance flap screws and then a screw at the rear. Disconnect a few connectors underneath first.

4 weeks later
#4438 1 year ago
Quoted from Asiapinball:

I'm a collector of over 20 years, not a shop, but do know how to pack well for international shipping. Ive told me that you were looking for parts that I may have hence my first post on Pinside. Only ever lurked on here before, but used to post to the old rec.games.pinball years ago and also more recently pinballinfo both under same name, so you can also find me on there if you want to know more about me.

I can vouch for Paul . He’s a good guy. Long time UK collector , I have bought parts, and traded machines with him over the years.

2 weeks later
#4500 1 year ago

Back in the club after a few years out. Looking forward to shopping her out and playing some games. Few niggles to sort first.
The actuator for the skill shot above the shark flipper is missing for a start. Seems to be unobtainable. Making one is the way forward![quoted image]

There's my Rolling Stones stool

3 weeks later
#4508 1 year ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Interior restoration by Eddie is almost done, still a good amount left but he is doing an amazing job. Got the ramps back from the powder coater today and dry fit them on the pf to see how they look. Flippers, posts, etc still left but check out the ramps!
[quoted image]
You can follow the restore by following Eddie 's company, Pintech, on Facebook https://facebook.com/613646548752772/

Ooooh - not seen red before. Looks good

1 week later
#4537 1 year ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Good idea! I'll plan on bringing some supplies by which I can fasten a makeshift support.

Yep - have used a broom in the past to get playfield as high as possible , business end of broom in cab - handle wedged against a mech

Obviously make sure it’s good and secure , you really don’t want to knock into it and bring the playfield slamming down

#4542 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

I bought the long version...I like the final finish better...thanks

Dang. something else I didn't know I *needed* Short version on mine but I like that longer one

#4548 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

The long version looks nice. That's my main stuck ball place on BW.

Don’t think I have ever had a ball stuck there. In fact rarely if ever get any ball hang ups on BW

#4554 1 year ago
Quoted from mikespins:

I'm going with original artwork from retro refurb. I used their cabinet decals for my TSPP and am very happy with the quality.

Do you have the retro refurb decals to hand ?
I only ask because their service has been very poor of late - pinheads over here complaining of unfulfilled orders, long delays with no response to enquiries etc

2 months later
#4635 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I picked up a nice Baywatch with color Pin2dmd. However there are some scenes that look off on the dmd. For instance the pops buoys the screen is blue, same with water skiing video mode. Anyone else with pin2dmd experience this? I am not familiar with it or how to delete/install software

Yes - same on mine. I believe the guy that colourised it didn’t complete it so some scenes are shades of one colour. So for example Video mode is blue , the rescue diver mode is green.

3 weeks later
#4659 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Just joined the club!! So the DMD works randomly... I was going to replace with a colorDMD so I was not worried... well looks like they are out of stock sadly. So I have to try and get this one working. Seems to work intermittently, and when it does, it has lines on the screen in many areas. I am trying to nail down if its the board or the display.
Also something hacky going on here, but think its just needs a new connector and desolder.
[quoted image]
Any suggestions would be amazing, I did just order the updated harness kit hoping it will help: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6326-00

Yep someone has taken the connector out of the equation presumably to address the DMD reset issue.
The new harness may well fix your problem. May be worth reflowing the solder on the header pins also - on both boards.
Regarding the lines on the DMD - try reseating the ribbon cables .

3 weeks later
#4737 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Thanks RyanStl trying to keep it clean and simple. Any suggestions?

Look good. I would keep the Baywatch logo blue on the text card also. Yellow on white always struggles imo.

2 weeks later
#4773 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

Anyone else here have issues with the cabinet flipper leaf switches? I am constantly trying to clean the contacts to make them work and then they stop again. I'm certain it's the switch as putting pressure on them always activates the flippers. It's odd because I even replaced one and the same issue happened shortly after. Anyone convert the switches to using micro switches?

Had similar with a Data East machine. I was convinced it was the switch contacts .
Turns out it wasn’t . It was the connector at the small flipper board in the cab.Worth reseating the connector / clean header pins / possibly resolder the pins and see if that helps.

1 month later
#4821 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Yea I have pin2dmd. Video modes are not fully colored. Some other screens aren’t either

Yep I have it . Some of the modes aren’t either - for example the Trapped Diver mode is shades of green.
The parts fully colorised look great. Just shame it’s not complete.
However still a big improvement on stock orange. Also in cost - I got mine a couple years ago also when Pin2dmd were considerably cheaper.
I would love the ColorDMD but here in the UK the price is eye watering.

#4845 1 year ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

So, prove me wrong. You don't have to colorize the whole game - just colorize the player score similar to ColorDMD. I know you are very experienced at this, so you could either prove my point or prove me wrong. Feel like accepting a friendly challenge? I think this would be a beneficial learning experience for everyone as well, so it's a win-win.
Player's score screen picks up at about 17 seconds into this video:

Wow the ColorDMD is incredible . I hadn’t really watched the videos before. I almost wish I hadn’t I was happy with my Pin2dmd …. Now I’m really wanting the CDMD !

1 month later
#4950 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Running the new code, can't figure it all out:
It looks like you can get a locked ball without hitting the targets down and up the guard tower within 30sec? I've seen "Locked Ball" appear when hitting the guard tower shot and the trap door doesn't open? Is there a written set of instructions anywhere for the new code??
Thanks.

Its a while ago but I seem to remember after installing the new code my trap door had been disabled in the settings . No idea how …but worth checking .
Also if your ramp entrance switch isn’t activating the trapdoor won’t open.

From Chads website …..
Adjustment 51 will Enable or Disable the Left Ramp Trap Door (default is Enabled/Yes). If the Trap Door is disabled then a regular Left Ramp shot will always count as the same Lock or Jackpot shot.

#4959 1 year ago

Pin2dmd issue - need some help.
Earlier today it started freezing the image during play . After turning off / on it was then only displaying the Pinsound logo. It now is completely blank / dead

I have reseated all connectors .
Power to the display - I have 4.8v and 19v
Power to the controller board - 4.8v

I know the 5v is a bit low but it’s been working with that for years.

Any ideas ??

#4965 1 year ago

Grizz. Mine did this the other day funny enough. It would display the pinled logo then go blank. Did it about 4 times then eventually booted and worked!!
I wonder if it’s power related. Machine had been off for a couple of weeks maybe more. Needed to juice up some caps maybe?? God knows. It’s ok now though

Cheers Gaz.
I have had it do the annoying reset thing in the past , I think my 5v is borderline tbh.
However never had it completely blank out like this , showing no signs of life.
Haven’t looked at it today . Praying it isn’t borked

#4971 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

The option is there, what I'm saying is setting it to different difficulties in the settings doesn't seem to make it much harder.
I did take a closer look and it appears subsequent kickbacks are harder to light but the DMD always says "1 more hit to light kickback" even when it's not.

Hello friend!
I started to notice it. It would lock up, then reboot. Not always noticable because you're not always looking at the DMD. But it did it on the skill shot selection screen which made it obvious.
I reseated a few connectors on the DMD board and haven't had it since (Touch wood).

Ok some progress - the power connector on the Pin2dmd is flaky , if I push down in a certain way it will power on . I reflowed header pins no change so will have to repin connector .
Still stuck at logo screen though ?
DaveTheTrain when yours is running is there a blue led flashing all the time on the back of the Pin2dmd board ? And / or a red one ?
The only LED I have showing is a green power one lit.

3 months later
#5015 9 months ago

Also the front decal is totally different. Sorry if that was mentioned already. The tube light looks stock with the mounting brackets the same metal finish as the coil brackets etc..
Very interesting.

The front decal is way better then the standard one

6 months later
#5061 89 days ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I have some odd issues with my Baywatch and was wondering if anyone else had these issues. They are both related to the audio. Every once in a while during attract mode, it will start partially calling out "Baywatch" but it doesn't finish. It does this randomly every minute or so. If you try to play a game then there is no audio at all during the game. However if you restart then it will eventually fix itself and be fine.
Also, sometimes during game play the extra ball call-out and video triggers but you haven't earned it and it doesn't get awarded. It just randomly calls it out.
Are these just software bugs or some kind of hardware issue. I have no clue how to troubleshoot this.

The audio issue is quite common . It’s the sound board resetting , I believe due to borderline voltage - in first instance try reseating the sound board connectors.

The Extra Ball issue is a bit strange , sounds like a ROM issue ? Sometimes though a flaky ribbon cable on these Data East / Segas can cause strange issues. Wouldn’t hurt to reseat them .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ive.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only?tu=ive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.