I installed LEDs in all the controlled sockets last night. Kind of a pain in the ass getting the subway off. There must have been at least twenty screws holding that sucker down. I'm very happy with the results, though. The game looks great. As usual, it was a 100% custom job. I simply looked at the various inserts and went with the LED I thought worked best. I used all non-ghosting LEDs from Comet. Most of them were either frosted or clear 1 SMD bulbs, with some flexible ones thrown in here and there. The only thing I'm not sure I'm happy with are the frosted green ones I used for the three lock lights. They are a bit brighter than I would like, but to my knowledge they are the dimmest non-ghosters available. I could go the LED OCD route, but I do not feel this game needs it.
I did some of the GI, but only the stuff that was easy to get to. I don't want to do the rest until I have new rubbers for the game. This will prevent me from having to take the playfield apart twice. I installed cool white frosted 1 SMD bulbs under the slings and inlane plastics, and I also added a spotlight over each sling. This lights up the playfield nicely. One downside to the brighter GI is that there is a distracting reflection of the lower playfield bulbs in the DMD. This probably wouldn't affect most people, but I am 6'3", so I have a higher vantage point.
Here's a couple photos that show the reflection in the DMD I'm talking about ...