20240416_080229 (resized).jpg
20240416_080137 (resized).jpg
IMG_4652 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4653 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4651 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4759 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4749 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2796 5 years ago

Some set-up/behavior questions for everyone...what incline do you have the game set at? I was at 6.5 with my phone in the center of the playfield using a leveling app, but the ramps seemed juuuuuuuust a bit tough and the skill shot didn't always make it through the gate (maybe I need to check the EOS switches too). I lowered it down to like 5.5 and the ramps seem much better and the skill shot makes it through the gate consistently now, but I'm wondering if the game is "slower" this way than it should be? I'm on carpet so hard to tell for sure...

#2799 5 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

I have had 2 of them now. I set them both up with all 4 leg levelers all the way up into the leg. Normal sterns I make the back 1" higher then the front. Not for baywatch.

Thanks, that helps get an idea. Are you able to backhand the lock ramp?

#2801 5 years ago

Back again for the evening crowd. Trying to dial this thing in and want to see if someone can help clear up a few things. I'm using Chad's code for reference...

1. Is there a setting to only advance the locks on completion of the drops and not on ball advancement? On hard and extra hard it looks like it takes more sets of drops to light the lock within the same ball, but it will still advance one per ball. Am I missing something or is this a Sega quirk?

2. How exactly do the shark awards work? Whenever I get a shark I see RST on the display...not sure what that means. Do you have to collect sharks via the scoop THEN shark flip in for the award?

3. The "light orbit" on the right inlane roll over...what does this do? I hear a sound when I hit the switch but nothing seems to light? I assumed it would light the left orbit for some sort of hurry up shot but maybe I'm just missing it...

Thanks for any light anyone can shed!

#2806 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I believe it just triggers the diverter to allow the ball to complete the full orbit. It's a weird insert and isn't very well integrated into the game.

Quoted from northerndude:

For number 2.
The RST initials is from the “shark award” high score. It comes up when you hit the shark scoop. Get a better score on shark award and put your initials in.

Quoted from TopMoose:

Shark awards are triggered by the rollover switch just above the shark flipper. The ball has to pass through that lane and immediately go in the shark hole without hitting any other switches to score the award - the shark standup targets aren't involved. Northerndude is correct about RST being the initials of the Shark Flip Champion.
"Light Orbit" just opens the ball gate on the upper right of the play field (which is probably the noise you hear) allowing the ball to go all the way around the top arch. Otherwise, when the gate stays down, the ball is stopped and goes through the top lanes, into the pops.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the clarification. Sounds like the orbit is working as intended so that's good. The initials make sense now, just weird how they are randomly displayed mid-game - kind of caught me off guard - ha! Really digging this so far. I need to get my level/incline nailed down to balance out the speed/skill shot making it through the gate. Seems like the skill shot for the shark hole and side ramp make it past the gate on the plunge like ~80%.

#2811 5 years ago

Here's one (maybe for ChadH ?)...playing around last night and during both video modes the game code version screen flashed very briefly on the display, then the game behaved as normal. Anyone else ever experience that? Maybe a bug?

#2814 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Your display reset mostly likely due to a voltage drop to the driver board.

Quoted from PTHermes:

I've experienced the same, I assumed it was a voltage drop or something, but maybe it is code related.

Hm, voltage was my initial thought but since it didn't reset I kind of set that aside...I'll see if I can replicate it. Not sure what would cause it in video modes vs. regular play.

#2816 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

The display driver is more sensitive to 5 volt drops than any of the other boards.

I just found a related thread on that, it looks like there are some recommended things to look at on the power supply like the connectors and caps which are easy enough. I have a color DMD in there if that matters (got the game that way) but I assume the principal is the same.

#2820 5 years ago

Hopefully this isn't spamming but wanted to cross post this here if anyone has any clues to help out!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-switch-matrix-flipper-issue

1 week later
#2831 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

It has to be something physical with the game. On the original code it barely ever worked for me, on the Chad code it is rare that it doesn't work.

With Chad's code mine opens and closes fine timing wise, the ball just doesn't always have enough speed to make it 100% of the time. If I plunge with a bit of a nudge forward it usually makes it but a bit more power on the plunger coil would be awesome. I think mine is set around 6 degrees.

#2833 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

You could always take a couple windings out of that coil or buy a more powerful coil? Mine works every time which Chad H code and I think a lot of it is finding the perfect slope for your machine.

I've been thinking about the coil just haven't really looked into it yet to be honest to see what the next "power" up is, but it seems like a good option. I have been playing with the level a bit but once I start getting below 5.5 degrees the game gets a bit slow and floaty (for my taste anyway). I really like how it plays where it sits now.

2 weeks later
#2843 5 years ago

Longshot but anyone have any ideas I haven't tried related resetting dmd? I'm beginning to think it's a bug in the unofficial code...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-dmd-resetting-issues#post-4880007

#2845 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Figure out when it is resetting and see if you can replicate it.

Sorry...not quite sure what you mean by replicate it. It happens sometimes when a ball is served to the shooter "lane" at the beginning of a ball and sometimes after a video mode. It doesn't happen 100% of the time in these instances though, so sometimes never, sometimes 2 or 3 times a game but only in those conditions. It doesn't happen during regular play or when balls are served to the shooter lane after a lock or in multiball.

#2848 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

you could also power the dmd with an auxiliary 5v power supply and see if the resetting keeps happening. then you could 100% rule out if its a power supply issue or something else.

I hadn't thought of that, but I don't think I have the equipment needed unfortunately. I may try the power supply in someone else's game if I can track one down.

Quoted from Ive:

So it absolutely 100% ONLY happens in those 2 scenarios ?? Strange
I had DMD resetting that plagued me for ages - had the 5V upgrade, changed connectors, reflowed joints. The issue would come and go. Finally I swapped the ribbon cable for another. Touch wood ...hasn't reset for months now. Have you swapped ribbons ? Might be worth a shot.

That is the only time I have seen it, and I have been watching pretty close. It doesn't happen 100% of the time either, so ball 1 could be fine, then ball 2 triggers a reset. I hadn't swapped the cable but mainly because I thought it was just data and not voltage so I assumed that wasn't part of my problem. Can't hurt to try I guess. Are you taking about the cable from the MPU to the DMD?

#2851 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Grant I swapped both cables. My problem was the pins on the controller.

Both ribbon cables/ribbon cable pins? Hm interesting...can't hurt to try.

#2853 5 years ago

@pinballocks @Ive

Interesting, I'll try that for sure. For the hell of it because I'm sitting in jury duty doing nothing, I started poking around the schematic on the ribbon cable at the DMD board. I do ok with them but this one is a bit over my head. I did notice pin J3-20 is labeled "reset" and seems to be tied into some sort of 5v circuit/reset thing with some more caps on the board...maybe a clue?

Screenshot_20190312-125213_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190312-125213_Drive (resized).jpg
#2855 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

If you suspect the code, then put in the old roms see what happens
I think its a voltage drop reset

I think so too. I messaged Chad and he doesn't have anyone else reporting it, so the search continues!

#2861 5 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

If you get
The updated Chad Code it will drastically reduce problems with flashers and GI flashing

Definitely recommended!

3 weeks later
#2875 5 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

So I haven't gotten video mode since I upgraded code, so I took off the glass, and can't even get it then.... Please confirm that video mode (water ski) is attained by getting all the shark targets, and then getting the shark hole. Just want to make sure that is correct before I mess with anything. Thanks.

That is not correct. It is the first shark award, so you need to roll over the switch above the small flipper then shoot the scoop from that flipper without hitting another switch. The game needs to detect you hitting the switch and activating the flipper before hitting the scoop to start, so you won't be awarded it on a random bounce in, etc. The shark targets are not related to video mode just to activating the "shark flip".

3 months later
#3020 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Oh my bad. I had to align my launcher so that it hit the ball straight on, I remember that it was cocked to one side. Loosened and retightened and it helped a lot.

Did you have to do anything else? Mine also struggles to make it through the gate for the skillshots sometimes. I've noticed that with the apron off, the coil is angled backwards a bit, so the plunger is actually dragging across the sleeve a bit and I think that's what causes it to lose some power. I've tried adjusting it side to side, back and forth, etc., but really think I need to find away to even out the coil. I can get a picture if this doesn't make sense...

1 month later
#3039 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Has anyone had this issue, boot the game, hit start, and the Hoff only days, baywatch will be. Boards were recently repaired, chads rom installed.

Quoted from Grandnational007:

Mine does the "Baywatch will be <abrupt end>" at initial power up. (to clarify, NOT during the start of a new game when the machine is already powered on...)
From what I understand, this is normal. I've seen something about this before as to why it happens, but as I recall, it has no effect on anything.

Yes, this is very common. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the initial clip is just the booting sound clip. If the MPU boots before the clip finishes, it just kills the clip and cuts over to attract mode.

1 month later
#3083 4 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I realize that there are past posts covering this subject, but I'm curious to get some fresh opinions / recommendations. My main flippers are weak and I'm planning to rebuild them with a new kit from pinball life. My playfield is level and I dropped the angle down to 6.5 which I actually don't like because it plays kinda slow and floaty.
My question is about which coils to get. Right now, I have the correct coils from the manual: 90-5030-00 on the left and 90-5020-00 on the right. Other pinsiders have stated that they are using the GnR special coils instead.
Any recommendations would be great as I'd love stronger flippers so I can raise the playfield angle a bit and get back to enjoying this bad boy.
Also, the Lazer kick is kinda weak and I'm curious what recommendations you have on that

I would rebuild them for sure. I assume you are, but are you measuring the pf angle on the pf itself and not the glass? Mine has stock coils and is set to 6 degrees, maybe a hair less and seems to play just about right, not too slow but I can make all the ramps fine. I have not tried the GnR coils, but I know a few people that have and you may end up breaking some plastics or targets with them and the closer shots. Have you checked how the coil for the laser kick is sitting and changed out the coil sleeve?

#3084 4 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Also, regarding the last post, does anyone have their coil pulse power set to High in the Sega adjustments menu? I'm not home now but didn't realize that adjustment was available. I read that the game has a bug in it where the upper control gate doesn't work properly with the coil power set to High. I do have chad's code installed so not sure if that code bug is fixed

Correct, Chad recommends not setting the power to high with his code (or at least used to when I installed it) as it messes with the gate timing. I honestly didn't notice much coil power difference, if any, when I had it set to high briefly.

2 months later
#3160 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Will it say 4.01 when I load it or is it best to check my Roma on the board? I don’t know if I have them but I’ll buy them for sure

It will show the code version when you boot the game.

2 months later
#3219 4 years ago

Anyone have a topper they would part with, or even one they would be willing to scan (or an existing scan)?

1 week later
#3241 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I'd start by checking the shooter lane switch and trough switches. If all are good, I'd next check the switches in the same line.

Agreed. I had that happen once and the switch where the ball gets staged before being served to the shooter lane was just slightly bent against the trough so the game kept thinking there was a ball there and trying to fire it.

#3260 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Just joined the club again on saturday! This was a repeat game for me and one I regretted after selling right away. This one is much nicer then my old so it worked out good in the end. It will be nailed down to the floor in my game room for sure. Was all led'd out, color dmd added, shopped ect. The game is really in very good condition with barley any scratches or marks. Such a fun game. Brought back so many great memories to play it again. The color DMD really brings that huge display to life! What mode or switch do I have to hit to get mitch to say best office in the world? It was something I remember from my old game doing it but can't remember what makes it say that?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'll have to pay attention when I play next but I believe "best office in the world" is the call out for the match sequence at the end of the game. I think "never had a better day!" is the one you get if you actually match.

1 month later
#3362 4 years ago
Quoted from DHVincent:

Having some problems, unsure if they are related or all caused by the same thing...
When I would start my BW, it would say 'Baywatch will be right back' and work as normal. After a few minutes, the sound would drop out, but the call outs would work, then it would say bay watch will be right back over and over.
After resetting some cables, the sound problem seems to be ok. However, now the screen goes black and resets, showing the version screen. Also when you turn it on, it says 'baywatch will be...' and then loads as normal.
I already have a rottendog board installed. Any ideas? Thanks!

Which board is a rottendog? The dmd board on the large Sega DMD games is incredibly sensitive to the 5v. You want it to be pretty much dead on or your DMD will reset. Check the 5v at the power supply and at the DMD board. There is a service bulletin out there where you can make a new connector to pull better voltage but your power supply may need a rebuild as well.

To be honest I rebuilt basically the entire original one and was still only getting like 4.94v which wasn't enough to stop the resets. I ended up just throwing a new power supply in there and called it a day. It reads about 5.02v now and works fine. I will get a very rare reset but typically only when all the games are on at once and multiple are being played.

5 months later
#3537 3 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

The switch in the vuk might be bad . Go to switch test to see. They have a bad rep. of going bad ! If you have to order a new switch - get 2.

Yep, check the switch. If you don't get your shark award when you hit the scoop, probably a bad switch.

Quoted from RyanStl:

New member here. My wife and I drove to Cincinnati this weekend to pick up our new Baywatch from a fellow pinsider. The whole family is really loving it, as we haven't had a DMD game since I sold my DW five years ago.
I have been looking to buy an early DMD game for a couple months, but kept striking out. My wife was feeling sorry for me and started looking herself to see what's available. She knows nothing about pinball, but theme is very important to her. She loves Marvel and kept saying what aobut this, and I say it's xxxx money, then nevermind. She came across Baywatch and said said you didn't tell me they made a Baywatch pinball. I immediately had approval to up my budget, so search was on. Patience isn't our strong suit, so we did a short road trip to pick one up.
Quick question, as I haven't had time to dig in. The shark Vuk doesn't eject balls unless there is a ball search. Maybe it's just an adjustment issue? I'll try to figure it out tomorrow, but I'm still learning this stuff. This is the first Sega I've not only owned, but ever played.
[quoted image]

Great pickup! If you don't already have it, Chad H has after market code for this game that REALLY polishes up the rules and scoring.

#3541 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Oops, used a pencil to push down and got nothing. I'm going to figure out how to test the switch other ways. Maybe it's a Sega thing, but the diagnostics don't seem to run the tests. Lots to learn.
Edit: Ok, dummy me wasn't closing the coin door for the diagnostic tests. All switches register when activated except the shark scoop. I suppose that means bad switch.?
I'm putting together a LED list. Has anyone done this and can share? I don't want a pre-assembled kit, becuase I have a mix of LED and incandescent.

It could be bad or just need adjusted. I can't recall off the top of my head if thats a switch or an opto. Check for the obvious loose wire, bad diode, etc also.

#3543 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

It's a loop microswitch. I'm digging through this thread and there are links to replacements switches that is a Y design and I see other threads about the shark scoop with similar information that it's probably a bad switch. I'm going to order one soon and try to replace. Bummer I didn't notice this yesterday until I got it home. I'm going to consider it a learning experience, as this is something I need to learn to deal with. Right now I'm going to plug the hole, so we don't have multiple ball searches each game when a boll goes down the shark scoop.
Edit: Hooray! It was a loose diode on the switch. Must have come loose in transit. I still need to get a decent soldering iron, but electrical tape has it together for now. This machine cleaned up nice. Now all I need to do is order LEDs and I'm set.

Sweet, glad that helped! I would get a soldering iron ASAP and just replace the diode entirely so it doesn't happen again.

If you're looking for LEDs, Comet makes some great stuff. If you are going to LED the whole game, just be warned that it is a colossal pain in the ass as all the ground braid on the GI lamps is stapled down...boo. That said, it looks killer when done.

#3548 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Same, I'm not going to buy a ROM burner and ROMs for one game to do myself. Matt's ROMs are talked highly of in this thread. His price is really good, as shipping is almost more. I'll donate to Chad when I get it working. I'm really looking forward to it.
Also, just realized Pinball Life has the NVRAM, not Comet. Now I need to get a basket going there.
Does anyone have the color code for the blue cabinet paint? I have some spots I would really love to touch up.

Don't forget the large color dmd while you have the credit card out .

20200829_212106 (resized).jpg20200829_212106 (resized).jpg
#3556 3 years ago
Quoted from fsumassey:

I just picked up a Baywatch! I'm having an issue with the multiball. When I get the 3rd lock the multiball starts but I'm not getting that last ball that did the 3rd lock. Once I get down to only one ball on the playfield the multiball is still going on. If I drain it then it will do a ball search and then shoot out a ball to continue play. Could anyone help me with this issue? Big thanks in advance!

Probably an issue with the trough switches. More than likely the game has not registered that 4 of the 5 balls (then all 5 when you lose the last one in play) have drained. Usually a prime suspect on DE and Sega games.

#3559 3 years ago
Quoted from fsumassey:

I'll check that out for sure. Thanks for the advice. It's just strange that it recognizes all the balls when I start a game. If there was a trough switch issue wouldn't it be trying to find a ball continuously?

I have had the same issue on my Jurassic Park. Take a look at the trough and how the balls sit and if they are depressing the switches all the way. You can also take them out and put the game in test and roll one in at and time and make sure they all register. It may not be a true "issue" with the switch but that trough design is notorious for balls getting hung up on the trough itself or the switches and not rolling all the way down.

#3579 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I have a weird problem. The balls in the trough get wedged forward sometimes, and don't quite hit all the switches. When this happens, and you drain a ball, you have to wait for a ball search, which will cause the balls to reseat. I attached some pics to show what I mean.
Any ideas on fixing this?
[quoted image][quoted image]

In the first pic it looks like you are missing a ball...is the 5th ball in the staging area to be kicked to the shooter lane? Or just a weird angle on the pic?

Quoted from Grandnational007:

Hmmm, place a small, clear bumper at the end of the trough (like the kind that you use to prevent cabinet doors from banging into the frames? maybe a thin wood shim cut the exact thickness of the trough and slid straight up from underneath to act as a spacer?
Also, could the balls be magnetized?
I still occasionally have a phantom failure of having a ball kicked from the trough to the "shooter lane staging area" (or whatever we are calling it, haha), even after replacing/rebuilding the optos and grommets and re-aligning them. Usually giving the game a gentle love tap on the right side of the cabinet while the trough is cycling will get it to kick a ball, but at times (almost always going into ball 3 of a monster game, of course), the game won't ever get a ball into the staging area, the game autoplunges a phantom ball that isn't in the trough, then ends the ball. Happens once every couple of weeks, and I can't pinpoint it.
I'll have to look at my trough better this week, and see if I can't get it squared away...

This has happened to me before. The game thinks there is a ball in the staging area where the opto is. When you replaced the optos did you reflow the solder on the header pins at the connector on the opto board (both sides)?

#3582 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

No, it is just wedged up at the front. That's the problem. The action of the ball search jogs them all back into place.

Good idea. I'll replace the balls. I would think that a shim would make the problem worse, since there would be less room for the balls.

I'll try this, too. Maybe I just need to polish the heck out of the trough while I'm at it.

Is there something that should be stopping the balls that isn't? The balls definitely should not be off the switches by that far. I'd check the end of the trough near the shooter and make sure nothing is stuck open, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 22.50
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.