IMG_4651 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4759 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4749 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4744 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4745 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2255 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4661 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#713 7 years ago

I haven't seen this posted anywhere...

Is this Baywatch Easter egg common knowledge? During attract mode, the flipper combination below will show a secret screen that says "Craw Sightings". Anyone know the significance of this?

Left x 3, Right x 3, Left x 2, Right x 2, Left, Right

#714 7 years ago

I also do not see this detailed anywhere.

Here are all the 3-Way Combo shot possibilities in Baywatch. All are worth 50 Million.

Center Ramp (Venice Beach) > Right Ramp (Tourist) > Spinner (and into opened Upper Ball Launch)
Side Ramp (Ironman) > Right Ramp (Tourist) > Spinner (and into opened Upper Ball Launch)
Right Ramp (Tourist) > Spinner > Shark Super Scoop
Side Ramp (Ironman) > Spinner > Shark Super Scoop
Center Ramp (Venice Beach) > Spinner > Shark Super Scoop

1 week later
#726 7 years ago

I'd like to compile a complete list of bugs and issues with Baywatch. Please reply with anything I do not have listed here.
1) CPR Mode - If you complete the mode, the game displays a 50M completion bonus. However, this 50M is not added to the score.
2) Diver Trapped Mode - The bonuses that are added to your score as you make the shots are incorrect. They are displaying 20M, then 30M, then 40M, then 50M, but instead they are granting 10M, then 20M, then 30M, then 40M.
3) End Of Ball Bonus is incorrectly displaying the amount granted for Rescue Missions. The game is supposed to give you 3M times the amount of Rescue Missions completed... however, it is not displaying the correct amount here. Although, it is granting the correct amount in the total.... so this is purely a display error.
4) The upper right gate opens in certain modes to allow a Left Orbit shot to pass. However, often on a fast shot, the gate is not opening quickly enough to allow the ball to pass and the ball is instead deflected down into the SPF rollover lanes.
5) The lower right gate (just above the shark flipper) opens at certain times (such as during Skill Shot 3) to let the ball pass into the kickback. However, the gate often closes too quickly which does not give the ball enough time to pass.
6) If game Adjustment 32 (Coil Pulse Power) is set to High then the upper right gate does not function correctly at all.
Added over 7 years ago: 7) Text when advancing and collecting Shark Award is not displaying the proper numbers and text goes off the edges of the DMD.
Added over 7 years ago: 8 ) Instant Info doesn't display SPF Bonus Multiplier (the code calls for the wrong screen that does not exist and so instead it shows score for a few seconds). Also, Instant Info does not repeat smoothly.

Added over 7 years ago: 9) If the player achieves the maximum 10X SPF Bonus Multiplier and then advances it again, the player is awarded Extra Ball Is Lit instead and then 20M for each advancement thereafter. However, the End Of Ball bonus will display 11X SPF Bonus Multiplier. The correct bonus is still calculated so this is purely a display bug.

#730 7 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Have noticed this when collecting Shark Awards - usually for the 30Mill Award, but think I have seen it for the subsequent awards also - the text/display is all wrong.
Regarding the Shark Awards I find on my game the amount of time to make the Shark scoop/award from the Shark flipper is *REALLY* tight, the light flashes for maybe a second at most, I find that often even fast shots to the Scoop simply don't make it in time to register ??? Anyone else notice this ? I don't think I see any Adjustment option for it.

Exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. Thanks Ive!

I've found the bug you mentioned... and squashed it! The "FF" in the text of your screenshot is wrong (FF More Sharks For SHARK) ... it should be the number of shots remaining for the next award. So now it properly displays (1 More Sharks For SHARK, 1 More Sharks For SUPER LASER KICK, etc ). I have it so the text is displaying the proper number there now and it no longer goes off the edges of the screen.

I am adding your bug find to my list above.

Keep them coming guys!

#732 7 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

ChadH, how are you fixing the bugs in code of such an old game? Patching the ROM file, or do you have access to the source code that was used? Either way, badass!

Just the raw assembly language code of the ROM... and a lot of patience. No source code. No comments. But it is a lot of fun and very rewarding.

#740 7 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

My second (and probably final) run of Baywatch shaker motor kits are complete and ready to ship. PM me if anyone is interested.

I've been analyzing the Baywatch code... it appears that Solenoid 15 (Shaker) is activated with these switches:

Center Ramp Exit (Venice Beach)
Shark Super Scoop
Upper VUK (Earthquake)
Upper Ball Launch
Pop Bumpers

Can someone with this shaker mod please confirm this?

4 weeks later
#787 7 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

But my upper gate skill shot doesn't work.. the ball doesn't seem to make it up to the rollovers fast enough to even make it to the gate.. It's either one thing or the other

I'd love to hear everyone's experience with the two gates in the game. How are they behaving for you? I hear that the lower right gate doesn't seem to stay open long enough for many people for the times where the ball is supposed to make it into that kickback. Also I hear that the upper gate sometimes doesn't open quick enough during a fast left orbit shot for scenarios where it is supposed to let the ball pass.

How are your gates acting?

#803 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Interesting upper gate issue on the Baywatch I'm finishing up. Gate works in the coil test but not during gameplay. Probably the transistor?

Is your Adjustment 32 (Coil Pulse Power) set to High? If so, then it will not work in the game. This is a known bug (for now). Set it to Normal.

#807 7 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

What is your Coil pulse set to in the settings? Anything other than normal causes the coil to stop working in gameplay.

I know setting it to High will cause the upper gate to not work. But does setting it to Low also cause it to not work? I don't have a Baywatch so I cannot validate this. Can someone with a Baywatch please test the upper gate on Low and let me know if this causes the gate to stop working?

#809 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Just tested it. With the coil power set to Soft, the gate opens properly. Also checked with the coil power set to high: it looks like the coil opened the gate for a brief second... but it could have been the flashing lights...

Excellent. Thank you for verifying for me.

I'll tell you exactly what the bug is here... this will get a bit technical but some of you might find this interesting.

All the coils have a set value for how long they are to remain energized. When you set Adjustment 32 (Coil Pulse Power) to Low then the amount of time is decreased by a small amount. When you set it to High, the amount of time is increased by a small amount.

All the coils have a different base value for time. To keep this simple, I will give all numbers in decimal.

The upper right coil timing is set to 240 when it is at the default setting. This means that coil will remain energized for 240 units of time.

When you set it to Low, the code subtracts 30 to the timing of this coil. This brings it to 210.

When it is set to High, the code wants to add 30 to the timing of this coil. This brings it to 270. However, the software is running in 8 bit hexadecimal numbers here. The largest number you can represent with 8 bits is 11111111, or 255 in decimal notation. So the number roles over to 0 if you try to go above that (and don't account for it). In this case, it ends up rolling over and winds up being 14.

Setting the coil power to High in this specific instance takes the coil power from 240 to 14. 14 is such a tiny amount. You can see the effect in the game that the gate probably just barely opens and immediately shuts.

Apparently, this was never tested back in the day and this bug slipped out into the production code.

The Upper Right Coil is the only one that has this bug. All the other coils are have a default value that does not roll over when changing power level.

#811 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Soooooo....you can fix this?

This bug... and several others.

3 weeks later
#868 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Chad,
Your DESW and TFTC code upgrades unlocked unused callouts. Is Baywatch the same and can you share some callouts you've found interesting? Any other unused assets you've been able to put to good use?

There are voice calls that say "Shoot the left ramp", "Shoot the middle ramp", and "Shoot the right ramp". I believe these are unused. I am adding these into the end of Copter Rescue where the roving ramps collect the 50M bonus. A little extra help for the player to know where to shoot.

2 months later
#994 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Hey Chadh, any updates on the code update?
Let me know if I can help in any way!!

I have a bunch of changes all ready to go... the problem is that I need to get my hands on a game. I need to have it in my possession for at least a few months to be able to implement the changes and verify everything.

Up until now this has been a background project of mine and I haven't been very aggressive around this, but I am now ready... if anyone nearby (Northwest Chicago suburbs) has a Baywatch that they can lend me, please let me know. PM me.

1 week later
#1005 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You can borrow mine for as long as you want. Come and get it whenever. Alternatively if someone wants to get it from Madison to Chad then just LMK.

Baywatch is in the house!

HUGE thank you to Whysnow !!!

Now I can start to get serious.

2 weeks later
#1025 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

ChadH the suspense is killing me. Fill us in with some details on how the coding is going. Setbacks, triumph's....any news is good news.

I haven't gotten fully back into it yet. I got the game from Whysnow and then left for a Florida vacation. I am back home now and will dig in soon. I don't see this patch being nearly as big as my previous ones (Star Wars, Jurassic Park, TFTC, Tommy, Hook). My initial focus is on all the bugs in the game. There will be some tweaks here and there. But I don't foresee any major overhauls. Mostly just a polishing of what is there.

As always, I am open to suggestions.

1 week later
#1062 6 years ago

Couple additional small bugs found...

Instant Info doesn't display SPF Bonus Multiplier (the code calls for the wrong screen that does not exist and so instead it shows score for a few seconds). Also, Instant Info does not repeat smoothly.

1 month later
#1101 6 years ago

Here's something interesting about Baywatch scoring that I don't believe is well known.

If you make it to Earthquake... the jackpot bonus amount for shooting the Left Ramp depends on how many of the following modes you successfully COMPLETED:

CPR
Chopper Rescue
Driver Trapped
Shark Cove
Tidal Wave

Each time you complete one of the above modes, the jackpot value for Earthquake increases by 20 Million.

Jackpot = 50M + (20M x Modes Completed)

It looks like your bonus can be as low as 50M per jackpot... but as high as 150M per jackpot!

So, not only do you get a completion bonus of 50M each time you complete a mode, but it will also increase the Earthquake Jackpot by 20M. A little extra incentive to complete those modes, huh?

By the way, I watched the PAPA tutorial video and it appears that they physically disabled the Left Ramp lock. By doing this, they completely cheated themselves out of potentially huge Earthquake jackpot values!

#1104 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Awesome chadh. What does this code physically look like aw you shift and navigate your way through it?!

Over 20,000 lines of raw uncommented assembly language like this:

8C65: CE 8C B6 ldx #$8CB6
8C68: 8D 45 bsr $8CAF
8C6A: E6 00 ldb (x+$00)
8C6C: A6 01 lda (x+$01)
8C6E: 84 0F anda #$0F
8C70: 8B 03 adda #$03
8C72: BD 43 8C jsr $438C
8C75: 20 A8 bra $8C1F
8C77: 8D 2E bsr $8CA7
8C79: CE 8C DA ldx #$8CDA
8C7C: 8D 31 bsr $8CAF

Fun!

1 week later
#1114 6 years ago
Quoted from johnjones:

Is there a setting in the game software to open the top gate for the skillshot faster?
When I launch the ball, it gets to the gate before the gate opens everytime making it impossible
to get the skillshots that go past the controlled gate at the top right of the playfield.
Thanks
John

First, make sure you game is NOT set with Adjustment 32: Coil Power = High. There is a known bug with the current code that will makes that upper gate unusable with this setting. Make sure it is set to Normal.

Second, make sure your upper gate is mechanically working correctly. Go into coil test mode and test that upper gate. The gate should IMMEDIATELY open when tested. There should be no delay. I've seen it where you press the test button and the gate hesitates to open. If this happens, examine the gate and make sure the arm that pulls the gate open has as much leverage as possible.

#1121 6 years ago
Quoted from ksmmspt:

As far as the code update: Please get rid of the guy that says "Well Done" after you drain quickly and have around 1 million bonus. Drives me nuts!

It only says "Well Done" if you abort the End Of Ball Bonus screens. It doesn't matter what your score is or how well your ball was played.

#1136 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Hey ChadH can you look at the scoring for the video mode? It's never seemed right, I think the max score is 134M but each of the ramps is 10M and if I miss one it's only a few Million different from the max score..

Here's a video of a guy completing it. Looks like there are 11 ramps. He gets a total of 135M.

From what I can tell, the bonus for this mode starts at 10M and then is increased by 10M for each successful ramp and increases by 1M for the instances you stay alive while avoiding obstacles.

This would mean that max is:
10M starting bonus + (11 ramps * 10M) + (15 instances of time passed avoiding obstacles * 1M) = 135M

What are you experiencing?

#1138 6 years ago

Ah... I see... my logic for scoring is correct up until near the very end of the whole sequence where 1M is added to the bonus with each frame for the last second or two.

#1140 6 years ago

Playing with the Jet Ski video mode, I think I can slow it down and/or speed it up.

What if.... the mode started out slower for the first few ramps, then sped up to normal speed you are used to, and then sped up again near the end with the last few ramps? But then if you make it to the very end you get an extra bonus because it was extra fast/hard for that last part?

Just tossing this idea out there for feedback/suggestions.

#1161 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

The reason I got 135M is because I missed a ramp near the end (middle ramp, 3rd from last). It showed that I hit it on the video, but if you listen, it doesn't give the "alright" or flash so I wasn't awarded the points. There is a slight delay on my machine between the actual hitting of the ramp, and the video. Not sure if this is common on all machines.

Actually, there is a bug in the code that cheated you out of getting credit for that center ramp (3rd from the last) even though the animation shows a successful jump.

There are 7 positions that you can be in.

From left to right, numbered 0 to 6. Here is how I'll define them:

0 = extreme left
1 = left
2 = left center
3 = center
4 = right center
5 = right
6 = extreme right

Here's the problem... when you are in position 2, 3, or 4, when you hit a ramp that is in the center... the game animation shows a good jump. However, there is a bug where if you are in position 2 then the game does NOT give you the 10M nor does it play the bell sound effect along with the "Alright" voice call.

Now rewatch your video and you'll see that you hit that center ramp when you where in position 2... and thus you did not get the credit.

This bug is now fixed.

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Make you wonder how many countless other small bugs/ glitches are in other pins that will never be found out unless someone awesome comes around to look under the software hood.

Every game I have worked on has had bugs... especially Hook, that one was really buggy!

But you are right, some bugs are not so obvious... sometimes I've found very minor things no one would ever even know such as a voice call that is called by the code but never plays because something with a higher priority doesn't allow it, or a video animation gets cut short because the timing was off.

Here's a minor one in Baywatch you may have noticed. When you start CPR, it plays one of two voice calls.

"Listen up guys, the swimmers need help, apply CPR, 1-2-3 Now!"
"OK everyone here's the situation, some swimmers need help, shoot the ramp to apply CPR"

If the second voice call is played, there is a bug where another voice call of "Shark's in the bay" accidentally gets overlayed during the second half of that voice call... making it hard to understand what was being said.

#1168 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can you change default initials to LIONMAN for HSTD default?

If Lionman had to put in 3 initials, what would they be?

#1174 6 years ago

Here's another interesting thing about Baywatch that I am pretty sure not many know about...

Try setting Adjustment 49 (Mode Start Criterion) to "Extra Hard".

This completely changes the way the game advances with the various mode shots.

With it set to Extra Hard, you have to spell all of GUARD (and then play Guard mode) before you can advance to the next phase where you then collect all the cast members (and then play Tourist Season mode) and after that you can then play each of the main modes (and then play Earthquake).

Definitely changes the strategy.

Also, if you set Adjustment 49 (Mode Start Criterion) to "Hard" then it plays like the normal game except it takes two shots per advancement of each lite and shows an extra animation on the in-between shots.

If you set Adjustment 49 (Mode Start Criterion) to "Moderate" or "Easy" then it take two shots to collect each GUARD letter but only one shot for the cast member and one shot for the mode start.

Finally, if you set Adjustment 49 (Mode Start Criterion) to "Extra Easy" which is the default then it plays the way 99% of everyone plays the game and it's one shot per advancement of each lite.

3 weeks later
#1188 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

chadH how is the coding going? Tell us some cool stuff!

Here some notes on the changes I made to the two Video Modes (subject to change).

Ironman Video Mode:
Allow all of intro video for Ironman to play and allow it to be aborted with both flippers.
Add motor boat sound to Video Mode intro for Ironman.
Change music during Ironman to previously unused music.
Increase amount for hitting flippers from 250,000 to 500,000 per hit.
Add "Well Done" voice call to winning Video Mode Ironman race.
Increase bonus for successfully completing Ironman from 20M to 50M.

Water Skier Video Mode:
Turn off G.I. during Water Skier Video Mode.
Adjust scoring of Water Ski video mode from 1M per passed obstacle to 3M per passed obstacle.
Fix bug so center ramp will now correctly score when hit on the left-center.
Fix bug at end of Water Skier where last ramp does not count.
Prevent "Alright" voice call from being cut short at end of Water Skier Video mode.
Fix Water Skier bug to prevent incorrectly adding ghost points at end after final ramp.
Add 50M bonus for successfully completing Water Skier Video mode.

#1190 6 years ago

I am looking for someone who wants to help beta test my patch and provide feedback. You need to have a good working Baywatch on hand (obviously) and have a ROM burner and be able to burn 27C512 CPU ROMs as I make revisions. Need a good understanding of the current rules and willing to test all the changes (which means often taking off the glass to try out the more obscure changes).

Please PM me if interested.

1 week later
#1210 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Baywatch before Pin Stadium is turned on

Shouldn't those LITE LOCK flag inserts on the playfield be green? I think green is the common "lock" color in pinball. Or maybe your video is just making them look blue.

#1236 6 years ago

Here's a sneak preview of a minor adjustment to Shark Cove which I think does two things... first, it increases the possible points to be achieved for this previously underscoring mode (relative to the other main modes)... and second, it adds a new strategy to the mode.

Original Rules for Shark Cove:

During this timed mode, the SHARK TARGETS and the SHARK SUPER SCOOP are lit. There is a 10M mode start bonus. Each hit on the bank of SHARK TARGETS kills one shark for 10M. There is one shark at first, then a set of two, then a set of three, then finally a set of four. The first time the SHARK SUPER SCOOP is shot, all the sharks currently on-screen are killed (for 10M each). Subsequent shots to the SHARK SUPER SCOOP will only kill one shark. Killing all sharks grants a 50M Completion Bonus.

New Rules for Shark Cove:

During this timed mode, the SHARK TARGETS and the SHARK SUPER SCOOP are lit. There is a 10M mode start bonus. Each hit on the bank of SHARK TARGETS kills one shark for 10M. There is one shark at first, then a set of two, then a set of three, then finally a set of four. EVERY TIME the SHARK SUPER SCOOP is shot, all the sharks currently on-screen are killed for DOUBLE POINTS (20M each). Killing all sharks grants a 50M Completion Bonus.

#1240 6 years ago

Let's talk about Tidal Wave.

During this timed mode, the Left Orbit, Upper VUK, and Spinner Lane feed the ball to the Upper Ball Launch and awards 20M. The ball is then kicked up around the Right Orbit to the Upper Left Flipper, from which the Side Ramp can be shot for a Rescue Award of 50M. Getting Rescue Award three times will complete this mode where you receive a 50M Completion Bonus.

That is original description of this mode... but in reality, this one is buggy! The way it currently stands, it is very hard to actually complete this mode successfully for a few reasons.

Here are the problems:

1) When the mode first starts it offers up a "Shoot the Side Ramp" along with the jet-ski girl animation. However, if you make this very first Side Ramp shot correctly the game does NOT count this as a successful shot! You still have to do this three more times!

2) If you are slightly late with your Side Ramp shots, the game will show a "Rescue Successful" animation... however, it does NOT count as a successful shot, very deceiving!

3) Every time you make the Left Orbit, Upper VUK, and Spinner Lane shot, this counts as one of the three attempts. After these three attempts (regardless of whether you successfully shot the Side Ramp or not) the mode ends! This means if you do not perfectly make all three Side Ramp shots then the mode ends and you do not get the completion bonus.

All the above issues are now fixed. Now every successful Side Ramp shot counts (even that first one). Also, the failed attempts at hitting the Side Ramp do not count against you towards the three attempts. The mode ends when either the timer runs out (unsuccessful mode completion) or you make the three combo Side Ramp shots (successful mode completion).

Another change is the upper gate will now open faster with the Left Orbit shot during this mode. I know in the current game, this gate often does not open fast enough and the ball doesn't get to feed down into the Upper Ball Launch. I have made this gate open as fast as possible so hopefully the amount of misdirected balls will be reduced. Similarly, the lower gate opens faster with the Spinner shot in an effort to allow the ball to properly make it into the Upper Ball Launch with this shot more consistently.

With all these changes above I think this mode now plays as originally intended by the designer, and the player has a fairer chance of getting a successful completion. (And remember, each successfully completed mode increases the amount that the Earthquake Jackpots are worth!)

#1245 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Just for clarification... are all side ramp shots good, or does it have to be a combo? I.e., lets say I have a ball randomly make it to the left flipper and I succesffuly hit the side ramp. Does that count? Or, would I have to make it after one of the 3 shots that feed the upper ball launch?

Original rule is it has to be a combo... and that's how it remains.

#1249 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Stacking modes would be sweet, but I would say that is a ton of work.

You are correct. Plenty of other very nice changes that I think you will all enjoy... but no mode stacking.

#1253 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Chad, could we insert code that allows a player to opt-out of having the automatic shark flip? That drives me nuts when I have a good game going and it automatically makes a bad shot and drains.
(Noting that I may be the only one who wants this).

Ask and ye shall receive! (well, sometimes anyways...)

Here's what I came up with. To disable the automatic shark flipper, just set Adjustment 50 (Shark Flipper Control) to 99. Game plays the same except it will no longer automatically shark flip... and you can still manually flip in instances where automatic flip would have occurred to receive those bonuses. I'm hoping most people don't set their game this way as there is some charm to automatic shark flip, but I understand how it might frustrate some players.

#1257 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Chad, does the shark flip logic need to be adjusted?
I had always assumed it worked like TAF thing flip, where it adjusts over time when you set the game up and tell it to. It learns that it misses the shot and then adjusts by trail and error till it hits at a higher percentage. After it hits for a while then it tends to be good (better than most players).
Does BW work the same way.

You can adjust it manually with Adjustment 50 (Shark Flipper Control) to try to make it more accurate for your game. It does not automatically adjust over time like the the Bally games.

#1259 6 years ago

Adjustment 50 can be set between 0 and 99. (But now 99 will mean Disable). Default is 0. Hard to say exactly the time difference (milliseconds) between each setting.

You can play with this by going into Service Mode. Then go into DIAG, the scroll all the way to the right and go into BAY. This will bring up the Shark Flipper Control adjustment and will also allow you to play with the switch and see how the ball/flipper behaves over and over as you make changes to this setting. The ball will automatically eject from the Shark Scoop as you are testing in this mode.

#1262 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

This also neuters shark award #3 then (except you get 30M), correct?

The only thing that happens when you disable the automatic shark flip is the automatic flipping is disabled. All other functionality remains. If you light shark flip via the 5 shark targets then you can get the shark flip award still, it’s just that you manually are doing the flipping. Likewise Shark Award 3 where shark flip is now lit for the next 60 seconds (no longer till end of ball) will give you the shark flip bonus for that shark switch to shark scoop shot, but again, you are controlling the flipper.

#1264 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Is it still going good to say "shark's got a mind of its own" when I miss? (so I can blame it on that bastard even if it's not his fault )

Yep! Although, I am tempted to change it in this instance to the female laughing voice call.

#1268 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

So my shooter lane switch keeps dying on me. I've replaced it 3 times now and each time (literally brand new switch and diode assembly from Pinball Life) it works for about a week or 2 and then it will suddenly stop registering again. Doesn't work in game or in test, all soldering looks good at connections, connector seems fine.....anyone got suggestions on what could be causing it?
Last night it actually happened while I was playing the game at my location, working fine for several games, started another one and it didn't register on ball one (it is easy to tell when it stops because the trough upkicker will fire a second time thinking it has failed to put ball in the shooter lane since the switch didn't register), immediately stopped game, took off glass inspected and checked in test mode. I just don't get whats happening.

I think there is a bad batch of these microswitches out there and you got one of them. I bought one from Marco and the exact same thing happened to me... worked fine for a couple days then just stopped working. It didn't even make the click anymore that micoroswitches are supposed to make. I wrote them back and they sent me a replacement which has been working fine. I'd recommend reaching out to Pinball Life.

#1270 6 years ago

The struggle to I’ve had is with the Shark Scoop microswitch. The switch works, it just seems to be very picky with its proper adjustment. Just when I think I have it perfect, the ball drops in the scoop and doesn’t register and I have to wait for ball search to kick in. Has anyone else struggled with this switch?

#1272 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that thing sucks! drove me nuts also. I thought about replacing with a single lever type (I think it is the forked type?)

Yep. It looks like this:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5116-01

When the ball drops into the Shark Scoop, it sits in a hole. It almost seems like the ball should sit down lower in the hole (which would mean the hole would have to be slightly bigger) so it can press down more on the switch.

#1275 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Chad H &group:. Don't know how easy it would be to change or if anybody would want it changed but...... What about when ball saver is running outlane switches trigger ball save as opposed to outhole? Maybe my machine differs but it seems like it takes a whole second or more from the time my ball hits the right outlane till it finally drains in the outhole right as my ball save light shutting off. Or maybe I should just suck less.

If the Ball Save timer is active when the ball hits the Outlane switch then the Ball Save timer gets reset to its maximum. Because of this, there should never be an instance where Ball Save is active when that Outlane switch is activated and then runs out before the ball reaches the Outhole. The only way this should be possible is if that Outlane switch is not working properly.

#1279 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

All my VUK switches have this type of wire loop actuator (without the clear plastic encapsulating the wire loop - just the wire loop only) and they are very reliable.

Does anyone sell that kind still?

1 week later
#1300 6 years ago

Yes. Diode required.

1 week later
#1309 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

The GI flashing is horrible.

"Help is on the way!"

I just looked into it and I think I have a solution to reduce the crazy flashing GI especially when it just flashes every second or two when multiball is ready and when multiball is active. GI will still flash during jackpots and other events... just won't constantly flash as you play multiball. Hopefully will be more bearable.

#1311 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Installed RC2 of the updated code today and it plays great!

Release Candidate 2? Hmmm... must mean final release is coming really soon...

#1314 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Don't foget, my game has that epilepsy preventer board installed

Yep. I've temporarily disconnected it to experience the full GI flashing craziness.

Quoted from Langless28:

how do people normally get your code onto chips for their games? Does someone provide this service of just providing the code on a rom that we can purchase?

Check here to see how the previous games are handled:
http://www.pinballcode.com/

#1319 6 years ago
Quoted from mcuzz:

To stop the gi from flashing just unplug (cn7) works with other data east/sega games as well,
Your welcome

Doing that leaves the GI on all the time.

There are times where you do want the GI to turn off for the added effect... like during the start of Multiball light show, during Video Modes, as bonus is displayed in between balls, during Match sequence or entering initials, etc. Also, the occasional OFF/ON flash is not bad during certain events for extra feedback.

I think the main complaint people have with Baywatch is the excessive flashing OFF/ON of the GI during certain events... especially during Multiball where it just constantly is quickly flashing OFF/ON on a short timer for no reason.

#1324 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

So none of my skill shots get past the SPF lanes. I've cleaned and resleeved the launcher and everything is smooth. Several coils were replaced by the P.O., so I'll have to verify they are the correct ones; is there anything else I can check? I haven't checked for perfect level and pitch, but it's pretty good. Is 6.5-7 degrees necessary for the skill shot?

Is your upper right gate opening?

#1328 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Thanks for the pointers! I'll check to make sure the gate is opening and assembled correctly.

Also, if your Coil Power is set to High then that upper gate will never work correctly in CPU version 4.00.

#1329 6 years ago

Concerning the GI flashing OFF/ON...

The game flashes the GI a whole bunch of times in a row during certain events. GI will still flash for these events... just not nearly as much. Figure a 50% to 80% reduction for these events:
Ball Launch, Successful Skill Shot, Ball Lock, X Million Award, Swimmer Jackpot, Tourist Season Jackpot, Special, Replay, and Match.

The game constantly flashes the GI during Multiball Ready, Multiball (all stages), and Earthquake. This constant flashing will drive you crazy and is probably the reason why most people try to come up with a solution. This constant flashing (every one second?) has been completely removed.

In the end, the GI will still flash to punctuate certain events like most other pinball machines of its era, but the flashing has been greatly reduced.

#1341 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

How long do you think it'll be?

Hold off. Won’t be long.

#1344 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Awesome news! I don't have any way to burn roms. Is that a service you can offer as well?

I do not.

#1345 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The struggle to I’ve had is with the Shark Scoop microswitch. The switch works, it just seems to be very picky with its proper adjustment. Just when I think I have it perfect, the ball drops in the scoop and doesn’t register and I have to wait for ball search to kick in. Has anyone else struggled with this switch?

I found a fix for this! I realized that the VUK in the back (Earthquake shot) has the loop microswitch. So I moved that one to the Shark Scoop and moved the fork one in the Shark Scoop up to the VUK. Working perfectly now.

#1356 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Also, you are right that BW seriously rocks!

If you guys like it now... just wait, it gets even better.

1 week later
#1456 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

So... has Chad’s work officially dropped yet, or am I just being teased?

Soon! Honestly, I thought it would be released by now but I've been getting great last minute feedback from sudsy7 which keeps delaying it... but it's all for the best as he is finding obscure bugs and I am fixing them. When it is released, it should be solid and worth the wait!

#1463 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

What chip will we need to buy to have burned? Or what is the chip currently in there?

A single 27C512 for the CPU.

#1465 6 years ago

While this update will not make any changes to the DISPLAY ROM, you want to make sure your game is running DISPLAY VERSION 4.00 from 1995 for proper game functionality. You can verify this by checking the very first screen that is displayed when you power on your game.

If your DISPLAY ROM is older than 4.00 then make sure you get that also when the time comes.

#1472 6 years ago

I'll be ready,
Never you fear,
I'll be ready.

#1475 6 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I actually bought a rom burner just for Chad to release the new code.

A highly recommended purchase for any pinball collector.

#1484 6 years ago

Fire up your ROM burner...

Baywatch unofficial patch version 4.01 is RELEASED!

Your journey starts here:
http://www.pinballcode.com/

Read all the changes here:
http://www.pinballcode.com/bw401

This patch contains many bug fixes and game play updates. I hope you all enjoy this one. Looking forward to your thoughts after you get some time with the update!

EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS to Whysnow for lending me his game for this project! This would not have been possible without him. (Now does anyone have a Data East Star Trek near me for sale or that I can borrow?)

HUGE thanks to sudsy7 for many in depth suggestions and testing! Also, thanks to Tsskinne and PoMC for additional testing.

Thanks to all of you who sent suggestions and ideas. I obviously cannot implement everything but I think many of you will see updates you suggested.

Enjoy!

#1509 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

How many hours would you estimate.aye you had into this project Chad? You changed a lot of stuff. Must have taken a good chunk of time.

Hard to say how many hours. Way too many, I'm sure!

I can tell you that I started this project on December 21, 2016. All the initial work I did on it was without having access to the actual game. Then this past June, I picked up Whysnow 's Baywatch where I was able to really start working on it seriously. Then in early October I started to involve some beta testers. And now the release on December 3.

#1516 6 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I love playing the modes - very satisfying when you do complete them.

Don't forget... each main mode Successfully Completed will add 20M to each Jackpot Bonus during Earthquake.

#1520 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Updated Baywatch code is running at Jerilee's Pub in Lafayette, IN if anyone wants to come check it out in person. All coin drop from this month is being donated to Chad for his code update. As of last night you were up to $17 coming your way Chad, hope we can get you a nice donation by the new year.

That is awesome. Thank you!

Quoted from Whysnow:

once my game comes back no hurry Chad so feel free to keep it a bit longer in case any new bugs get revealed with everyone running the new code

Currently thinking of returning it early to mid January. Thank you again!

#1527 6 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Lady luck is shining.

Congrats! Perfect timing!

#1532 6 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

I‘m seriously blown away! Didn‘t think it could make such a difference but it‘s a different machine now!

When I started this one, I thought it would just be a few minor tweaks and bug fixes but the more I dug in, the more I found to fix and polish the game. It's always fun finding unused voice calls, music, and sound effects to add to a game.

Quoted from Ben1981:

This game is so much more fun now and i look forward to discover even more features!

Thanks a lot chad, your work is a huge benefit for the entire community!

I always love to hear the feedback!

#1546 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

What is it that causes the trap door to open on the new code? My trap door has not been working since code update. Coil tests good and works during ball search. In settings I have returns to open trap door set to YES. What should I be looking for?

Trap door is same as old code... opens for Ball Lock and for Earthquake jackpots. But you can now disable the trap door if you like by setting Adjustment 51 to NO. The game will count a Left Ramp shot as a Ball Lock or Earthquake jackpot if the trap door is either disabled or broken.

#1547 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what are the other HSTD?

Default High Score #2 is HMJ

And the default Shark initials are SOF. Lionman!

#1548 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

What is it that causes the trap door to open on the new code? My trap door has not been working since code update. Coil tests good and works during ball search. In settings I have returns to open trap door set to YES. What should I be looking for?

Also, make sure the gate switch at the entrance to the Left Ramp is functioning properly as this is what will trigger the opening.

#1555 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I believe Baywatch (as well as other Sega/Data East games) is already stereo.

Baywatch is stereo.

1 week later
#1581 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm curious to know how the ball ejects from the shark hole on other people's games. On my game, it shoots out pretty hard and hits right between the two laser kick targets. Is it supposed to do this? It seems like this makes the game too easy because the kickback essentially gets re-lit every time you go in the shark hole.

Mine is similar. I almost see it as a trick to re-lite the Kickback. But remember, each subsequent re-liting of the Kickback takes more shots so it isn't like every single Shark Scoop shot will re-lite the Kickback.

#1582 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Just joined the club a few days ago. The game is working mostly fine, but the upper control gate seems to be sticking. In test mode it will work fine a couple times and then stick. If I gently touch it with my finger during the test, it will raise. I'm thinking it is either dirty or somehow binding. Do I have to remove all the ramps and plastics in the back right corner of the playfield to get to it?

I don't recall the particulars with how to access this coil / gate.

Make sure the arm that pulls the gate open has as much leverage as possible. You definitely want this gate to be responsive.

1 week later
#1639 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

so which is it? replace both roms or just 1? I was told if I have 4.0 installed I only need chads newest one.

If you have the 4.00 Display ROMs already, then all you need is the single new v.4.01 CPU ROM.

Read the last paragraph here:

#1643 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Please help me settle a dispute. What is the Hoff saying at game start - "__________ coast guard station, we're in route"? Fill in the blank -3 people in my house are hearing it differently. Is it "Point bridge", "Corn bread", "Port beach", or none of the above?

I always thought it was "Point Ridge".

#1655 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Donation made to Chad of all the earnings from Baywatch at Jerilee's Pub in Lafayette, Indiana in the month of December, thanks Chad for the great work!

Much appreciated!

#1690 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Been having this resetting issue with Baywatch. I think it's narrowed down to cold solder joints on a connector(s) because after reseating the connectors on the power board the resets stopped for a handful of games and now have started to happen regularly again when coils are fired, primarily in the pops. I'll report back when I've removed the board and reflowed solder at the connectors. Also will test the BR that's on the board because that can also cause the issue. The game doesn't fully reset, but you see the CPU info appear and hear "Baywatch will be right back" when it happens.
Sometimes the music goes out and only the sound effects and callouts play for a while, which is actually kind of cool. I had a 2.6billion game with the music off and not pressuring me into making shots too fast.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/0DjRwFjWB6FTxYz72

That’s not CPU info, that’s Display info. It appears that your Display is rebooting. Also, your sound board is rebooting (sound board always says “Baywatch will be right back” upon boot up)

Definately a power stability issue.

#1713 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm not sure what Chad's code does to lighting since I got the LED board prior to the code update, but it seems as though he removed a lot of the flashing.

Definitely less G.I. Off/On flashing.

#1729 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This method might get rid of the free multiball, but it also forces other changes like de-randomizing the 'Search and Rescue' awards. This is not ideal in a home environment.

I think he was referring to WWF Royal Rumble.

#1731 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Sorry. I got confused. This being a Baywatch thread and all ... Out of curiosity, does the tournament settings trick to get rid of the freebie multiball work on all DE/Sega games?

Don't know about all of them... but it didn't work in the original Tommy, TFTC, Baywatch, or Jurassic Park.

1 week later
#1798 6 years ago
Quoted from swampshroom:

I joined the club!!!

Congrats! Enjoy the game. This one seems to be getting a lot of good attention lately.

2 weeks later
#1847 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

chadh, since you bestowed it upon yourself to engrain hidden SOF reference in your 4.01 code, I present you a baywatch next to a swords of fury for your viewing pleasure.

Beautiful!

#1875 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've been noticing a lot of unexpected ball saves as well. Unfortunately, I have very little time on the normal code, so I don't know how it differs from Chad's in this regard.

Only changes to Ball Save in 4.01 were:

Start-Of-Ball Ball Save timer was increased from 5 seconds to 7 seconds.
Shark Scoop/Laser Kick Ball Save timer was increased from 2 to 3 seconds.

3 weeks later
#1953 6 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Could anybody tell me if the two flasher in the back.of the playfield flash in unison with the top left and bottom right of the backglass. Those flashers never did work and the wires join with the main harness and cant tell where they exit. I suspect they go to the translight.
Thanks

bwflash (resized).pngbwflash (resized).png

#1989 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Part is software but most of it is setup and cleanliness.
Messed up wireforms, gates not working, not leveled correctly, dirty playfield etc.

Yep. v.4.01 should help increase the success rate of all gate functionality... but ultimately you do want to make sure your gates, associated coils, and playfield are all in good solid shape.

#2000 6 years ago

You gotta admit. This looks beautiful...

92B3E56B-E481-4A6B-A8DA-6E625C0FB103 (resized).png92B3E56B-E481-4A6B-A8DA-6E625C0FB103 (resized).png

#2006 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm very excited for the ColorDMD, but that's a heck of a lot of money to spend on an upgrade for a $2,000 game.

True. But think of it this way... let’s say that Baywatch is a $2500 game today. If you take that Baywatch and add a new ColorDMD to it, then you are adding value to that game. Does this mean that the game is still worth $2500? Of course not, that Baywatch is now worth more.

#2067 6 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Install Chads new code instead. It balances the game properly, fixes bugs and has a lot less GI flickering.

Yep. I reduced the OFF/ON GI flashing by a very large amount. Still flashes on occasion to punctuate certain events like most other games... but those times where it literally quickly flashes OFF/ON 18 times in a row? GONE! Those times where it just flashes constantly every second after you lock all three balls? GONE! Give it a try.

#2092 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I would imagine ColorDMD will post a preview video like they always do???

Always better marketing to have a professionally produced video be the first public exposure... someone's shaky far-away camera phone video with bad color correction never does justice to a reveal.

#2095 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Just a live demo and shaky cameras for this weekend.
Once we get a bit closer to production release for the pilot run, we'll produce a formal game preview and video.

I am most anxious to see the colorization of the animated scoring screen. Hopefully someone can get a good steady up-close shot of it.

#2113 6 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

From a friend at TPF. Thanks Neil!
» YouTube video

Looks like it’s living up to the hype. Well done!

#2114 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Can you make a detailed sketch of what you saw?

I was hoping for an interpretive dance.

2 weeks later
#2182 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoodspeed:

What is the difference between the 4.0 and 4.1?

#2202 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Had an idea. With the ball in the shooter lane, it just shows that a ball has moved from the trough to the lane. With the ball in the lane and the right flipper pressed, several switches on the far right column go active.

Check the diodes on all the related switches. Also check for shorts.

1 week later
#2235 6 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

On my shark kickout, the switch does not always register and trigger the kickout about 40% of the time. Usually if I flip the left flipper it will then trigger the switch. All connections are good and I replaced the switch. Any suggestions?

Just because it's a new switch, doesn't mean it's working. Those switches (even new ones) are notorious for performing poorly.

Swap that switch with the one in the VUK (diver trapped). See if the problem follows the switch.

3 weeks later
#2361 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

We're showing off the new Baywatch ColorDMD tonight on stream! Live at 8 Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

Make sure you are running the v.4.01 code. More fun!

#2370 5 years ago

Eric P or Randy,

I want to know... how did you find all the source video clips from the Baywatch series to colorize those animations for the ColorDMD? There's gotta be a story there...

Baywatch Binge Watch? Or did they all come from a single episode?

#2391 5 years ago

Check all diodes in the problematic rows/columns.

#2403 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Squid pops happened because the right inside inlane switch was triggered due to the problem. I still want to lean towards something going on with the right flipper switch and the shooter lane switch. I believe something physical is causing your errors whether there are wires or lugs touching that shouldn't be touching, or there's a short somewhere, etc.

Don't only focus on the two switches/diodes that are directly involved. Instead, you need to check ALL the switches in the associated Rows and Columns of the Switch Matrix.

#2411 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

- Shark awards won't advance. The only time I've seen the water ski video mode since installing the ColorDMD is from a Search & Rescue award.

Doesn't make sense. Something is wrong.

Quoted from TopMoose:

- The laser kick seems to be permanently on after reaching Earthquake. Is this a feature of the 4.1 code?

It's on for the remainder of the ball. This is how it was in 4.00 and there was no change to this in 4.01.

Quoted from TopMoose:

- I can sometimes lock a ball from the Shark hole. When it happens, a 2nd ball will kick out and auto-launch and regular play will resume. I can start modes, etc., just with two balls instead of one. When one of the balls drains, the game just keeps going like nothing happened.

Doesn't make sense at all. Sounding like maybe you have a bad Shark Hole switch? Is your game kicking out a ball because of Ball Search? What happens in Switch Test mode with the Shark Scoop? Maybe give all your switches a test while you are at it.

Quoted from TopMoose:

- I don't know what the rules of the ball save are. I don't think anyone really does.

Start-Of-Ball Ball Save timer was increased from 5 seconds (in 4.00) to 7 seconds (in 4.01).
Shark Scoop/Laser Kick Ball Save timer was increased from 2 seconds (in 4.00) to 3 seconds (in 4.01).

#2415 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Could there be a correlation? What's weird is that when I make a shark flip shot, I still get the cartoon shark and flying chum animation, it awards 25M and kicks the ball back out. The only strangeness is that the award doesn't advance.

Sounds like the playfield switch in the lane right above your Shark Flipper is not working. The animation you describe is not related to a successful Shark Flip. That animation is played when the ball just happens to enter the Shark Hole randomly. Hitting that lane switch above the Shark Flipper should trigger the shark animation where he is coming out of the water at you and plays the Jaws type music.

Quoted from TopMoose:

Does each mode have its own ball save? Because if I drain within the first few seconds of a mode, it will usually give it back.

No.

#2470 5 years ago

Blue balls draining.

Yep.

#2477 5 years ago
Quoted from Vincenzo:

On post #1465 Chad tells about upgrading the display rom from 3.0 to 4.0. But I'm not sure : is this mandatory or just better before installing his new code? I've got 3.0 display rom on my game.

Not mandatory... but it is recommended. Can't say what might be displayed incorrectly if you are not on latest version. If you're getting the new 4.01 CPU ROM, you might as well also get the 4.00 Display ROM.

Quoted from Vincenzo:

Many posts about the "clicking relay". I was like "Come on guys, it's a pinball machine, it's noisy". Ok now I get it. What's the best card to solve that? GImaestro?

The amount of clicking (GI Flashing) is greatly reduced in 4.01 CPU ROM... so maybe see what you think with 4.01 before purchasing the GI Maestro.

#2491 5 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

64KB seems small

Yep. 64K before and after.

Fun fact... only 48K is usable space for code.

2 weeks later
#2506 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Get the shark hole jackpot during multi ball.

Yep. If you are running v.4.01 (and you should be) then the initials for Shark Hole are always the most recent person to achieve Shark Jackpot during multiball.

2 months later
#2562 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Thanks.
Yep - I was just trying it again. Set on YES then everything is fine. Odd that mine was set to NO - my friend had only played a few games with the new code and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been messing about with the adjustments.
And yeah just looked at chads notes on http://www.pinballcode.com/bw401
Made it so Adjustment 51 will Enable or Disable the Left Ramp Trap Door (default is Enabled/Yes). If the Trap Door is disabled then a regular Left Ramp shot will always count as the same Lock or Jackpot shot.
Thanks again. I can now stop scratching my head

Glad you figured it out.

I heard that some tournaments (PAPA?) and location operators where physically disabling the Trap Door in their games for various reasons. I wanted to make the Trap Door to be controllable in software instead of requiring the cutting of wires. That's why I changed that rarely used Adjustment to serve this function. The only problem is that since my update was a CPU ROM only update, I couldn't update the description text of the adjustment to better clarify what it means.

#2567 5 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I was under the impression that the "Returns Open Trap Door" settings were for a ball that didn't fully make the tower ramp, and returned back down would still open the trap door.

In the original code, if you had the setting turned on (was off by default) then the Inlane Return switches would open the Trap Door momentarily. No idea why. The door would be opening and shutting constantly.

So I yanked that logic and made it so you could enable/disable the Trap Door overall instead of cutting wires.

#2568 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

In the original code, if you had the setting turned on (was off by default) then the Inlane Return switches would open the Trap Door momentarily. No idea why. The door would be opening and shutting constantly.
So I yanked that logic and made it so you could enable/disable the Trap Door overall instead of cutting wires.

To clarify, it was only during Multiball during times when the Trap Door opens (normally when hitting the Left Ramp Entrance Switch). Maybe some games weren’t opening the Trap door quick enough so instead they gave option to open it upon hitting the Return Lane switches. But I’ve never seen that be needed.

9 months later
#2986 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Running pinballcode.com updated ROM and a couple things that may have been bugs in the original factory ROM still exist.

Those are all present in the original factory ROM also. Maybe someday I'll do a v.4.02.

3 months later
#3090 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Sorry, I meant to say Chad fixed the gate power when set to high in version 4.01 of his code.

Yes. This bug was fixed in 4.01. So setting your power to High should be fine in 4.01. I don't think it will mess up gate timing.

If you are running 4.00 or less (why would you!?!?! ) then do not set your power to High.

#3094 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

What did you do to solve the problem? Use a custom value of 255 or less for the gate coil?

If I recall correctly, I think I maxed out the timer on that gate and set it to not adjust based on "Adjustment 32 - Coil Pulse Power" because regardless of coil power level, that gate should be opened for maximum possible time.

6 months later
#3378 4 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Keep in mind the Papa tutorial was done before the ChadH code changes were made. IIRC, he doubled the amount of points you get for the completing all 3 skill shots. It still might be wise to go top lanes if you were playing in a tournament, but it's more fun (and considerably more lucrative now) to complete all 3 skill shots.

Yep! The Skill Shot point values were adjusted...

The "easy" Top Lanes SPF shot is only worth 10M.
The "harder" Shark Hole shot changed from 20M to 40M.
The "hardest" Side Ramp shot is 50M.

And then the Skill Shot Variety Award for hitting all these shots in a game increased from 50M to 150M.

Hopefully that will incentivize the player to not always take the easy route.

Also, in the PAPA tournament they physically disable the Left Ramp lock. By doing this, they completely cheated themselves out of potentially huge Earthquake jackpot values! My code allows you to disable the Left Ramp lock via code, and adds the ability to get the jackpot functionality via that Left Ramp shot so you can still enjoy the full game.

Would be great to see a PAPA tutorial with the new code.

2 weeks later
#3400 4 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

That said, it almost seems like the gate is opening at the same time as the ball reaches it and is bouncing off 85% of the time.

If you prevent the ball from getting to the gate (with your hand) does the gate still open on its own?

I recall having a gate issue with the machine I was working on. The gate would open in Diagnostics mode... but it would not open in the game. It was trying to open... and when the ball got to it, the ball gave it that push it needed to open. Make sure your gates open 100% of the time without the ball in the equation.

2 weeks later
#3424 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I agree, it's a great shooting game. The shark hole from the shark flipper is brutal. I maybe hit it 5% of the time.
I'm still having some trouble with the shark hole switch. I replaced it with the big Y shaped one, but it still fails to sense a ball occasionally. That's about the only thing that keeps me from rating this game higher. I wouldn't mind too much normally, but it always seems to happen when you are in a mode with a countdown, forcing you to waste time while the game flips to a ball search.

Shark Hole switch is a common issue with Baywatch. The modern replacements don't seem to be that reliable either. Would be great if someone could come up with a rock solid replacement switch.

8 months later
#3773 3 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

Definitely a big difference from original code.

I checked my notes...

Start Of Ball Save timer was increased from 5 seconds to 7 seconds.
Laser Kick Ball Save timer was increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds.
Tourist Season Start Ball Save timer was increased from 8 seconds to 10 seconds.

4 months later
#3933 2 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

I've found that there are 5 main issues getting the skill shot to work correctly:
1: Make sure the game is pitched correctly. 6.5/6.6/6.7. Make sure the game is level side to side as well. The playfield on mine is ever so slightly canted in the cabinet, so the game looks slightly unlevel in the lineup compared to other games when viewing the back boxes in a row, but the playfield is dead nuts 0.0.
2: Make sure the ball is being struck dead center by the launcher. A hair off center puts spin on the ball and/or causes it to jump/deflect slightly (similarly to how a jump shot is made in billiards) off the shooter lane causing the ball to strike the launch wireform and robbing it of momentum.
3: Make sure the ball launch wire form is clean and free of any bumps, burs, or crud. I even wax mine every so often.
4: Possibly the most important: Make sure the launch ramp is shimmed/adjusted properly where it attaches at the back near the guard tower. This can make or break the skill shot functionality. Here you can adjust the timing of the ball hitting the gate or clearing it by adjusting it towards the backwall slightly, or towards the front of the machine. Your particular machine my need to have the ball slightly bounce off the back wall to slow it down for the timing, or have a clean exit to speed it up to clear the gate. Use a phone in slow-mo to film it and see what it needs.
5: Make sure the gate itself is as clean as a whistle. Unfortunately, this pretty much requires a full shop-out/tear down to get to the coil that controls it. Make sure the coil is clean and the sleeve is new or at least super clean. You can try flicking it by hand from the underside of the playfield a bunch of times to free it up as well. Also make sure the spring isn't bound.
Good luck! BW is so satisfying to play when everything works and is playing fast!

6: Install version 4.01 of this code update as it tweaks the gate timings on Skill Shot to be more lenient. https://www.pinballcode.com/

4 months later
#4061 2 years ago

If the consensus is that the increased timer on the Laser Kick is too long, I can fix this and return it to its original timing.

But...

I'd like to do more! Over the years I have gotten many suggestions for further improvements and bug fixes for Baywatch that I would like to implement.

However, here is the problem... I do not own this game and like all code updates, I need to have the game in my possession.

Does anyone have a fully working Baywatch they can lend me? I am in Carpentersville, IL. Bonus points if you can drop it off at my house.

Your game would be put into my nice finished basement during the code update process. I'd need it for several months.

2 weeks later
#4093 2 years ago

Like others have mentioned, Shark Flip is a gimmick. Always has been, always will be. Consider yourself lucky if it makes the shot 50% of the time. I added the option to disable it for those who never liked it.

Also, if it helps, there are tips on how to adjust it at the bottom of the Baywatch Guide on my web page.

https://www.pinballcode.com/bw401

1 month later
#4124 2 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Like I said b4, these are minor errors but I still hope they fix them in an update someday.

Make sure you let ColorDMD and Eric Priepke know.

2 months later
#4229 2 years ago
Quoted from CosmoConstant:

I found a chip being sold on EBay. My machine is currently running 4.00 so I think that I only need to install the 4.01 chip and not the other two chips. ebay.com link: Sega Baywatch Pinball V 4 01 ENHANCED GAME CODE AND BUG FIXES 3 Chip Set

Nice of that eBay seller to just copy/paste my work. No credit. No link to my web page.

#4231 2 years ago

So you’re the main man! Can I buy the chip from you good sir?

I don't sell them. Normally I refer people who can't burn their own ROMs to https://mattsbasementarcade.com/ but it looks like he is taking a break.

Feel free to order from that eBay link you mentioned. I just thought it was interesting that he copy/pasted my documentation and I get no credit. Also, you are right that you don't need the Video ROMs since yours are version 4.00. You only need the one 4.01 CPU ROM.

#4238 2 years ago

I ordered from the guy on Ebay. How do I donate to Chad?

https://www.pinballcode.com/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.00
$ 24.00
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only?tu=chadh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.