76F7949F-D737-4C28-8F67-AFD806FA5702 (resized).jpeg
C33D119B-5585-484A-912F-C006F1422F5D (resized).jpeg
baywatch01 (resized).jpg
baywatch02 (resized).jpg
baywatch03 (resized).jpg
68331A52-2CDE-42B0-AE2A-BFAD506E9FE2 (resized).jpeg
E35E5C94-A80F-4B04-B173-A33277567B6D (resized).jpeg
B79BB765-36BA-4205-8BE2-2133441DAEE6 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,872 posts in this topic. You are on page 97 of 98.
#4801 19 days ago

I too have done 3 games with retrorefurbs decals and I have been very happy. I love that the vinyl accepts heat gun treatment… so even fine creases or winkles can be resolved with light heat.

#4802 18 days ago

Hey Baywatch friends need your help. Would someone mind lifting their playfield and tell me where this connector connects. It’s a small 3 pin connector, I can’t find anything for the life of me it would connect to. thank you
0C265C30-2806-4F6E-9754-3489EF7F33B9 (resized).jpegCA07BF29-28AA-4E1E-BC80-EB7F6A5F6B83 (resized).jpeg

Update… I think it’s un-used but love a verification from anyone

#4803 18 days ago

Mines a “dangler”

image (resized).jpg
#4804 18 days ago

Thanks buddy, yep I Lund my original references images and in those it sure was a dangler

#4805 18 days ago

Mine too. Any idea what it could have been saved for?

#4806 17 days ago

I will meter it when I turn mine on and see what comes up

#4807 16 days ago

Aren't those usually left for things like bill acceptors?

#4808 16 days ago

Hey friends finally turned it on and basically everything is working. Only issue is the left half of Backbox GI is out. I checked my gi connectors and they appear to be good does anyone know what colors feed the left side and or any guidance? Thank you !

Update: fixed the gi, everything works!

image (resized).jpg91028AF4-2BB7-44DA-9EA2-B2CAAA650495 (resized).jpeg

#4809 15 days ago

Hey folks, I have only played a few games so far and man, what an underrated game. So fun! I have all the new roms and going to install them tonight.

Question… are any of you using spot lights? I installed one and might do another the center of this game is real dark.

Thanks!

#4810 15 days ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Hey folks, I have only played a few games so far and man, what an underrated game. So fun! I have all the new roms and going to install them tonight.
Question… are any of you using spot lights? I installed one and might do another the center of this game is real dark.
Thanks!

It doesn't matter you get partially blind when the flashers run all the time lol. I haven't put any spotlights in mine but to me it doesn't seem as dark as some games. But I do agree it is highly underrated, super fun game and the shots are good. Also, unlike many games from this era the modes are balanced with "multiball all day" strategies. Super good game.

#4811 15 days ago

Thanks!

No, but the only real dark spot is the guard tower ramp. It could use some extra light.

#4812 15 days ago

Thanks, ya I only put on spotlight in and it’s aimed towards the guard tower.

Yes this game is seizure inducing… can’t wait to get the maestro mod

Also… the color display is a must in this game, just wow!
B3081A3E-4B01-49A2-B946-28E61B56B95F (resized).jpeg

#4813 15 days ago

Thanks!

I love me some Comet spotlights. Three spotlights and one 3SMD Led strip over the pops. Two spotlights are Opmax and one is an 5SMD Insane Bright, all are cool white bulbs (all basement lights are turned off). Here is my placement and impressive work on your Baywatch!

DFE01A60-A28F-45CC-8880-C900A9C59F77 (resized).jpeg3A202383-3E7B-4C8C-A4FD-A7CBF8821418 (resized).jpegD70F9F8D-355B-4516-894E-99ED2947B950 (resized).jpeg93A87900-C682-4516-9D46-E618CA91ED04 (resized).jpeg47BD5640-E1DB-47E4-B324-2324534DDD8C (resized).jpeg
#4814 14 days ago

I love Maffews Plastic protectors, and I tried to get ahold of him a number of times and I think he might not be making them anymore. So I created a set inspired by his cause they are super cool. I might make a few extras if anyone is interested. Also... if maffewl starts selling them again, I will not offer these as I am not one to take anothers idea for financial gain. I made these for myself mainly. Cheers

Unnamed Design (resized).png
#4815 11 days ago

Happy new owner of that players condition baywatch.

Already fixed couples of issues while setting it up and love it.

I find them game really dark in some spots,
I will look at light mods for sure.

Also have the left slingshot ghost poping with left flipper action and it's not really responsive when I manually close the switches, I'll inspect it.

I'm amazed a how those Sega playfield are holding up, almost no ware on a 30 year old machine.

I want to light that tower that's for sure.

5638865A-165F-4F3C-B957-372EF19FB5E2 (resized).jpeg789B5CC5-7E0E-4343-BCB2-CF59D99273B0 (resized).jpeg8A2E85D3-9B8E-4E29-9857-BD1E34B9AD85 (resized).jpegB49195B7-C1E3-48A8-A2A1-9C7DD5273BF1 (resized).jpegF4699EEB-0928-4AFD-800B-2BAF3835513E (resized).jpeg
#4816 11 days ago

congradulations, the playfield looks to be in really great shape! Have you tried gapping the switch on the left sling? Maybe too close?

#4817 11 days ago

Question for you all. For those that have the Pin2DMD have you noticed that the video modes have not been colorized? OR maybe I don't have the latest color files? Cheers

#4818 11 days ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:Question for you all. For those that have the Pin2DMD have you noticed that the video modes have not been colorized? OR maybe I don't have the latest color files? Cheers

Yea I have pin2dmd. Video modes are not fully colored. Some other screens aren’t either

#4819 11 days ago

i guess that is probably the major advantage of the color DMD is the colartions are gorgeous and complete. I have watched some tutorials, and I might try my hand at the pin2dmd studio. I know its really tedious to colorize scenes.

#4820 11 days ago

congradulations, the playfield looks to be in really great shape! Have you tried gapping the switch on the left sling? Maybe too close?

yep, that is fixed now, switch were all bent and warped

#4821 10 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Yea I have pin2dmd. Video modes are not fully colored. Some other screens aren’t either

Yep I have it . Some of the modes aren’t either - for example the Trapped Diver mode is shades of green.
The parts fully colorised look great. Just shame it’s not complete.
However still a big improvement on stock orange. Also in cost - I got mine a couple years ago also when Pin2dmd were considerably cheaper.
I would love the ColorDMD but here in the UK the price is eye watering.

#4822 10 days ago

Agree I got my pin2dmd very reasonably… the color dmd is more than double the price

#4823 10 days ago

i guess that is probably the major advantage of the color DMD is the colartions are gorgeous and complete. I have watched some tutorials, and I might try my hand at the pin2dmd studio. I know its really tedious to colorize scenes.

I truly wish you luck on colorizing video scenes and the like with Pin2DMD on Baywatch. There have been new tools added in the last couple of years that will be helpful, but I'm not sure tedious is the right word to describe this undertaking. I would say excruciating. I will stop just short of saying impossible, but there is a very good reason why nobody has tried it. Pin2DMD is a great colorizing tool for a whole lot of titles, but some of the scenes on Baywatch are just too complex. Hell, there are even a couple scenes that are incomplete or have minor errors in ColorDMD for this title that apparently cannot be fixed.

The bottom line is ColorDMD may be 2x the price of Pin2DMD, but after you spend hundreds and hundreds of hours colorizing these scenes, my bet is they won't be satisfactory and you will wish that you had just spent the 2 or 3 hundred dollars more for ColorDMD and had the instant gratification experience. Just my 2 cents.

#4824 10 days ago

Good points sudsy7, all well taken and it might be worth just going Color dmd

#4825 10 days ago

It's hard to stop working on my new BW..i have some work to do on it but i can't stop playing it LOL
the previous owner started a led conversion but was halfway, not sure what is used..
all the flashers are incandescent and half of them are burn.
the bulbs under the subway ramp have not been change, probably did not want to take it off..

i think a complete led kit would be better at that point and i can keep the ones already installed in my parts stash..

can you swap the flashers for leds or it's better to keep them original ?
i think i remember reading that these did not like leds in the flashers somewhere... ?

i dont want to forget some and i see 906 and 89 type used,
that list looks exact ?
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Sega_Baywatch_Tech_Chart.pdf

#4826 10 days ago

I replaced my flashers with LED, but didn't go hog wild on the amount of LEDs. I used Comet for all.

#4827 10 days ago
Quoted from Bakchos:can you swap the flashers for leds or it's better to keep them original ?
i think i remember reading that these did not like leds in the flashers somewhere... ?

Sometimes LED Flashers are too bright and hurt your eyes. If you change to LED flashers you might end up changing a couple back.

#4828 10 days ago

Leds will make a big difference and they will save your connectors in the backbox. Personally… most led flashers I have tried are way too bright… and with how much this games flashes… I can’t even imagine what it would look ;Ike with leds flashers… could probably see it from space lol. However, this is just my opinion, and thus I left incandescent flashers in mine. Glad your having fun and do what you like best!

#4829 9 days ago

well tried my hand at using the Pin2DMD editor and coloring a scene. Yep its tedious, and the software has all the capabilities its just VERY confusing to use. This is a test colororization of a scene that was not previously colorized. Makes sense as it required a lot of masks and very tedious Pixel selection.

caroline.gif
#4830 9 days ago

Makes sense as it required a lot of masks and very tedious Pixel selection.

yes, and I don't want to discourage you, but that scene is a about a 1 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. Try a video mode, or the match scene, or even just the player score screen for laughs. Make sure the poor dog is not around you when you work on them

#4831 9 days ago

I know you are attempting to be sarcastially humorious, and I can appreciate that. Maybe if you have legit advice that might be more helpful. I am learning, yes... and there is a reason someone has not picked this up... it ain't easy. Have you tried to do this? Is that where your input is coming from?

#4832 9 days ago

The majority of PIN2DMD colour artists stem from the vpin community, myself included, and I believe for a long time we didn't have the ability to run colour projects for large DMDs on vpins (though this is now no longer the case) and for a long time the Sega games didn't get any real love. I personally have a hardware 128x32 PIN2DMD on my desktop I use for development, and this means I don't have a practical way to test projects larger than that - I believe many of the other artists are in the same position.

Another factor (I think) is simply the increase in the number of dots to be coloured - that's a genuine concern, the more dots there are, the longer it takes to colour each frame! But there have been lots of tweaks and additions to the editor in the past couple of years, including some changes to the fill tool that would make it much more practical, as well as the increase in palette size which makes dynamic (ColorMask) scenes much easier in terms of managing your colours - this includes the main score screen alluded to a few posts ago, I bet it isn't as difficult as Sudsy thinks any more

Stick at it for a bit Soulrider911 - it's a long slog for sure, you can expect several months of a few hours per day, but if you're willing to put the work in it's very rewarding seeing your work on screen, and even more so when other owners reach out to ask for or compliment your work. There are lots of tips and tricks and threads full of advice on the vpuniverse.com forums if you are serious about it, but make sure you are comfortable with what's in store before you go that far - keep trying and see how you feel, and let us know how you get on!

#4833 9 days ago

I know you are attempting to be sarcastially humorious, and I can appreciate that. Maybe if you have legit advice that might be more helpful. I am learning, yes... and there is a reason someone has not picked this up... it ain't easy. Have you tried to do this? Is that where your input is coming from?

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic at all. I already gave you my advice. Yes, I have tried to do this, and I ended up buying a ColorDMD for this title. Took my own legit advice.

Like I already said, I don't want to discourage you, please give it a go. I'm just stating the fact that there are many people very experienced with this editor, and nobody has been able to colorize the scenes I mentioned above.

#4834 9 days ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

palette size which makes dynamic (ColorMask) scenes much easier in terms of managing your colours - this includes the main score screen alluded to a few posts ago, I bet it isn't as difficult as Sudsy thinks any more

So, prove me wrong. You don't have to colorize the whole game - just colorize the player score similar to ColorDMD. I know you are very experienced at this, so you could either prove my point or prove me wrong. Feel like accepting a friendly challenge? I think this would be a beneficial learning experience for everyone as well, so it's a win-win.
Player's score screen picks up at about 17 seconds into this video:

#4835 9 days ago

Some of us should chip in some $ and pay people out for the colorization of a scene or video mode

#4836 9 days ago

sudsy7 so that title screen you are referring to is probably a lot more manageable, since they added the layered color mask, it makes masking multiple elements in a single screen much, much easier. As I said before I am still learning but this feature for sure makes complex screens like that more do-able

#4837 9 days ago

Soulrider911, that's cool if you colorize those missing pieces and hope you have fun with it.

#4838 9 days ago

sudsy7 so that title screen you are referring to is probably a lot easier since they added the layered color mask, it makes masking multiple elements in a single screen much, much easier. As I said before I am still learning but this feature for sure makes complex screens like that more do-able

Yes, I know all about LCM. I want you to give that player score screen a go then, and then come back here and tell me how "much, much easier" it is. You will invest hundreds of hours into colorizing and triggering that one screen and my bet is you won't ever succeed and you'll eventually give up. But since you think you know more than I do about this, I really want you to give it a try. The hard way, is the only way, you will convince yourself.

#4840 9 days ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Yes, I know all about LCM. I want you to give that player score screen a go then, and then come back here and tell me how "much, much easier" it is. You will invest hundreds of hours into colorizing and triggering that one screen and my bet is you won't ever succeed and you'll eventually give up. But since you think you know more than I do about this, I really want you to give it a try. The hard way, is the only way, you will convince yourself.

I guess you are glass half empty guy. Just let Soulrider911 do his thing and let it be.

#4841 9 days ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I guess you are glass half empty guy. Just let Soulrider911 do his thing and let it be.

What the hell do you think I have been saying? I've told him several times now to go for it. I hereby Triple Dog Dare him to go for it!

#4842 8 days ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

So, prove me wrong.

I don't deny there are challenges and it's a lot of work; the boat, helicopter and jetski in the background definitely create some interesting scenarios combined with the different digits that may appear in the score, but some digits are always 0, and some digits share common "spaces", so with some focused dumping for specific scores and digits in certain positions, I reckon they can all be handled with LCM and some clever detection masks.

I already have a couple of projects in progress at the minute (South Park and Demo Man v2), so I will pass on proving the point at this stage. This is a hobby for me and I prefer to work on projects I will get the benefit from (see my previous post, I have a 128x32 display; if you want to donate an XL display for me to colour this then go for it! ), but if/when Soulrider gets to that point then I have already told him I will be willing to help.

#4843 8 days ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

I don't deny there are challenges and it's a lot of work; the boat, helicopter and jetski in the background definitely create some interesting scenarios combined with the different digits that may appear in the score, but some digits are always 0, and some digits share common "spaces", so with some focused dumping for specific scores and digits in certain positions, I reckon they can all be handled with LCM and some clever detection masks.

I already have a couple of projects in progress at the minute (South Park and Demo Man v2), so I will pass on proving the point at this stage. This is a hobby for me and I prefer to work on projects I will get the benefit from (see my previous post, I have a 128x32 display; if you want to donate an XL display for me to colour this then go for it! ), but if/when Soulrider gets to that point then I have already told him I will be willing to help.

You know you don't need an XL Pin2DMD display for the purpose of coloring anymore (nor an actual pinball machine) - that's ancient history. Lucky has implemented 64-color DMD output directly to a PC screen using VP. In fact it's way easier, you don't need to transfer any files to a microSD card - just copy the color file to the altcolor folder on your PC and ready to test. The triggers work for all the coloring modes too, including LCM. And you can actually take control of the ball with your mouse to activate whatever you want when testing. It's the best way to test coloring, hands down. So you have everything you need, and I can supply you all the dump files you would ever want.

You forgot to mention the space capsule splashing down in the ocean, as well as the shark in the water and the gulls flying around at random, not to mention the ever changing dynamic skyline and shoreline. Also, the numbers, most of which are not always zero, and are changing continuously at random as you score, are transparent, so whatever moving element happens to be in back of them at any given moment need to be displayed in their proper colors. I'm sure you know how difficult the resultant color can be when objects overlap.

I don't blame you for not wanting to do this, it's a nightmare. In fact, it's impossible until someone proves me wrong. I only challenged you because you appeared to think I wasn't up-to-date on the latest capabilities of the editor, and therefore it might not be as difficult as I might think. It definitely is, and anyone that thinks it isn't, is just kidding themselves and misinforming people in this forum.

I'll let it rest now (I hope). As I said in the beginning, Pin2DMD is still a great product, even for this game (if you don't mind having some scenes not properly colorized). If you do mind, then ColorDMD is the right choice.

#4844 8 days ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

You know you don't need an XL Pin2DMD display for the purpose of coloring anymore (nor an actual pinball machine) - that's ancient history. Lucky has implemented 64-color DMD output directly to a PC screen using VP. In fact it's way easier, you don't need to transfer any files to a microSD card - just copy the color file to the altcolor folder on your PC and ready to test. The triggers work for all the coloring modes too, including LCM. And you can actually take control of the ball with your mouse to activate whatever you want when testing. It's the best way to test coloring, hands down. So you have everything you need, and I can supply you all the dump files you would ever want.
You forgot to mention the space capsule splashing down in the ocean, as well as the shark in the water and the gulls flying around at random, not to mention the ever changing dynamic skyline and shoreline. Also, the numbers, most of which are not always zero, and are changing continuously at random as you score, are transparent, so whatever moving element happens to be in back of them at any given moment need to be displayed in their proper colors. I'm sure you know how difficult the resultant color can be when objects overlap.
I don't blame you for not wanting to do this, it's a nightmare. In fact, it's impossible until someone proves me wrong. I only challenged you because you appeared to think I wasn't up-to-date on the latest capabilities of the editor, and therefore it might not be as difficult as I might think. It definitely is, and anyone that thinks it isn't, is just kidding themselves and misinforming people in this forum.
I'll let it rest now (I hope). As I said in the beginning, Pin2DMD is still a great product, even for this game (if you don't mind having some scenes not properly colorized). If you do mind, then ColorDMD is the right choice.

Why can it be done with ColorDMD and not the pin2dmd? They got better tools? They sure face the same difficulties?

#4845 8 days ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

So, prove me wrong. You don't have to colorize the whole game - just colorize the player score similar to ColorDMD. I know you are very experienced at this, so you could either prove my point or prove me wrong. Feel like accepting a friendly challenge? I think this would be a beneficial learning experience for everyone as well, so it's a win-win.
Player's score screen picks up at about 17 seconds into this video:

Wow the ColorDMD is incredible . I hadn’t really watched the videos before. I almost wish I hadn’t I was happy with my Pin2dmd …. Now I’m really wanting the CDMD !

#4846 8 days ago
Quoted from DrGonzo:

Why can it be done with ColorDMD and not the pin2dmd? They got better tools? They sure face the same difficulties?

I'm not sure how ColorDMD works, but I have heard that they just have to colorize "sprites" which are individual elements (such as the helicopter or even a small part of the helicopter or the number 4 or the space capsule on the player score screen for instance). They somehow get a dump of all these sprites from the ROM and go to town coloring them and saving them in their editor. When the game runs, the screens are assembled with these colorized sprites by the CPU. Whereas Pin2DMD is more dependent on you colorizing all the objects in a screen as a set, then triggering that screen. Somebody else probably knows for sure, and can explain it much better for sure, but I'm sure ColorDMD isn't too interested in giving away their company's secret sauce.

#4847 7 days ago

My new to me baywatch had some hack done to the psu...

I'm trying to understand what was the purpose of that, a bunch of wires are connected together to a two pin plug that comes from the back of the psu..
Can i see some stock photos please of yours.?

Thanks

2ABD5817-4AB3-48C9-8994-3159D90724CF (resized).jpegB79BB765-36BA-4205-8BE2-2133441DAEE6 (resized).jpegE35E5C94-A80F-4B04-B173-A33277567B6D (resized).jpeg
#4848 7 days ago

Welcome!! Just upon first glance at this, one of the GI connectors looks like it was fried and the astute individual working on this looks like they did some hacky gi merging. Does the gi work? All of it?

Also take a peek at this post and the few after it, you can see what is supposed to be in that fried connector location. I’ll shoot some pics when I am home

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only/page/96#post-7325434

#4849 7 days ago

Welcome!! Just upon first glance at this, one of the GI connectors looks like it was fried and the astute individual working on this looks like they did some hacky gi merging. Does the gi work? All of it?
Also take a peek at this post and the few after it, you can see what is supposed to be in that fried connector location. I’ll shoot some pics when I am home
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only/page/96#post-7325434

yes, that is indeed the GI connector, all tangled to two wires, that connector gets super hot !
to make it worse, i think that hack bypass all the GI fuses also

#4850 7 days ago

For sure it’s putting all the load on the other connector source that they are merged with, with leds might not be an issue… but regardless probably should figure out how to get er’ back to factory-ish

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Reno, NV
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
There are 4,872 posts in this topic. You are on page 97 of 98.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only/page/97 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.