IMG_4651 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4759 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4749 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4744 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4745 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2255 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4661 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 103.
#3651 3 years ago

Love it when problem is solved Pinside detectives. I'm still waiting on my Cliffy's to get my machine back together. It's been tough seeing parts sitting around everywhere.

#3652 3 years ago

It looks nice in color:

#3653 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

It looks nice in color:

I love the extra tall dmds I wish they never stopped using them. Could you imagine all the games that came since from sega/stern that could have utilized all that extra real estate?

The colordmd is great because not only does the color itself look great but the regular tall dmds are hard to find/expensive.

#3654 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

The colordmd is great because not only does the color itself look great but the regular tall dmds are hard to find/expensive

It's not a colordmd, and the original panel is for sale.

#3655 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

It's not a colordmd,

Pin2dmd?

#3656 3 years ago

Yes.

#3657 3 years ago

It's my dumb ass fault because I left Baywatch parts sitting on a box on top of the dog kennel. Well, this is what happens when you are waiting for parts and didn't plan ahead before taking a game apart.

IMG_20201204_191624508 (resized).jpgIMG_20201204_191624508 (resized).jpg

At least it wasn't a ramp or swallowed pinball. Luckily Pinball Haus had a replacement in stock. While at it, I picked up some decals. I hope my Cliffy's come in soon!

#3658 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

It's my dumb ass fault because I left Baywatch parts sitting on a box on top of the dog kennel. Well, this is what happens when you are waiting for parts and didn't plan ahead before taking a game apart.
[quoted image]
At least it wasn't a ramp or swallowed pinball. Luckily Pinball Haus had a replacement in stock. While at it, I picked up some decals. I hope my Cliffy's come in soon!

Bad dog

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
#3659 3 years ago

Hello fellow owners. I recently moved my machine and all the PF insert lights and front facing buttons are out (coin slot and Light shark flip and lite orbit still come on). I replaced both the F1 and F3 fuses on the PF power supply board.
The game plays and runs as it’s supposed to otherwise...dmd, flashers, music, etc. I do own an Energy Meastro mod that’s hooked up to it. Any thing else I should be looking for?!

#3660 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Just put a toy shark on top and it'll look like you did it on purpose ! :p

#3661 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Hello fellow owners. I recently moved my machine and all the PF insert lights and front facing buttons are out (coin slot and Light shark flip and lite orbit still come on). I replaced both the F1 and F3 fuses on the PF power supply board.
The game plays and runs as it’s supposed to otherwise...dmd, flashers, music, etc. I do own an Energy Meastro mod that’s hooked up to it. Any thing else I should be looking for?!

Could one of the connectors be slightly unseated? Make sure all connectors are snug on the boards.
Were the fuses blown?

#3662 3 years ago

I see pic of the left outlane and it has two metal post's in a row .mine only ever had one . ?? Any ideas why ?? here's a pic of my area

16071814767405152014259748021071 (resized).jpg16071814767405152014259748021071 (resized).jpg
#3663 3 years ago

I mis read.

I have two posts. One above near the floatation thingy

AF222BCC-D7C8-4CE4-8352-7C1BF6253ABA (resized).jpegAF222BCC-D7C8-4CE4-8352-7C1BF6253ABA (resized).jpeg
#3664 3 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Could one of the connectors be slightly unseated? Make sure all connectors are snug on the boards.
Were the fuses blown?

The fuses were not blown. I reseated all the connectors on the PF power board as well. I did see that the R113 transistor LED on the CPU rom board was out....not sure if that’s causing anything.

83EBEBE6-4363-4A26-B11E-6A894C191E92 (resized).jpeg83EBEBE6-4363-4A26-B11E-6A894C191E92 (resized).jpeg
#3665 3 years ago

I'm finishing my wiring. But still have a couple that are giving me trouble .
One is this black white from the from the power box ( on off switch) box .the other is this 4 pin its coming from the bock box Bridge rectifer area . Any ideas would be helpfull.. could this be shaker related? I don't seem to have one ?

16071852056784294603682055258778 (resized).jpg16071852056784294603682055258778 (resized).jpg16071852255544265511902807765624 (resized).jpg16071852255544265511902807765624 (resized).jpg
#3666 3 years ago

I mis read.
I have two posts. One above near the floatation thingy
[quoted image]

Ya I see you have two . I dont have a hole for the second one in the playfield. Any idea why I dont have a spot for it .did they make some without? Maybe early production?

#3667 3 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I'm finishing my wiring. But still have a couple that are giving me trouble .
One is this black white from the from the power box ( on off switch) box .the other is this 4 pin its coming from the bock box Bridge rectifer area . Any ideas would be helpfull.. could this be shaker related? I don't seem to have one ?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those are all cables related to color dmd. If your machine doesn’t have one it likely did at one point and someone left the cables

77D26ABE-64FD-4ABD-8FD3-E2C37BBCCB2F (resized).jpeg77D26ABE-64FD-4ABD-8FD3-E2C37BBCCB2F (resized).jpeg
#3668 3 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I see pic of the left outlane and it has two metal post's in a row .mine only ever had one . ?? Any ideas why ?? here's a pic of my area
[quoted image]

Mine is like Northerndude's with one post in the slot and one in it's own hole north of the slot. Yours does not appear to have a hole there. I have the same color slings, btw, and love it.

#3669 3 years ago

I also have 2 on mine

59B09275-051A-4497-809C-5DD315F52C7C (resized).jpeg59B09275-051A-4497-809C-5DD315F52C7C (resized).jpeg
#3670 3 years ago
Quoted from dimthedaylights:

Those are all cables related to color dmd. If your machine doesn’t have one it likely did at one point and someone left the cables[quoted image]

Thanks! I can just leave those hang for now. I'm always a little nervous about firing them up after a full restore, this time especially since I lost all my disassembly photo's.

#3671 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Mine is like Northerndude's with one post in the slot and one in it's own hole north of the slot. Yours does not appear to have a hole there. I have the same color slings, btw, and love it.

Quoted from dimthedaylights:

I also have 2 on mine
[quoted image]

Thanks for the info .That's puzzling. It seems that it's not a factory thing, because it would make the lower adjustable pin no longer operational. the upper one would premaritally set the difficulty of outlane drains . we should get to the bottom of this : ).

#3672 3 years ago

My copy has the second post above the adjustable one as well, like a lot of others...

I bet that they were added early into production because they found 90% of all balls were lost down there; the geometry of the playfield lends itself to having balls caromed into that area regularly (ie shark hole into the kickback re-light targets, then bounced right down the left out lane to be kicked back into the lock targets, that then bounce into the shark hole, and so on, haha).

I have pondered this for a long time as well.

If anyone is tight with Balcer or Kaminkow, they are always willing to chat it.

#3673 3 years ago

Hey all, my shark scoop isn’t registering very well, just checking on if this is wired correctly on the switch, I’ve been testing and it registeres maybe 60% of the touches. I have a spare, but maybe I’m dealing with a flaky switch or a bad diode, backwards diode?

My (green wire is on NO) and my (White on NC) with a diode across Common / NC.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3674 3 years ago

Hey all, my shark scoop isn’t registering very well, just checking on if this is wired correctly on the switch, I’ve been testing and it registeres maybe 60% of the touches. I have a spare, but maybe I’m dealing with a flaky switch or a bad diode, backwards diode?
My (green wire is on NO) and my (White on NC) with a diode across Common / NC. [quoted image]

This switch is particularly sketchy. It goes out on many machines. Regarding the wiring, I don’t have Baywatch anymore but do know that all switches are wired the same way in the game. You can just check another one to confirm that it’s correct. My guess is you have a bad switch and need to replace.

#3675 3 years ago

My (green wire is on NO) and my (White on NC) with a diode across Common / NC.

From the manual, it appears to be wired correctly. I'd go ahead and replace the switch, I've had switch legs break off entirely, so I wouldn't be surprised if could be cracked and causing an intermittent connection or something along those lines.

BW Switch (resized).pngBW Switch (resized).png
#3676 3 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Thanks for the info .That's puzzling. It seems that it's not a factory thing, because it would make the lower adjustable pin no longer operational. the upper one would premaritally set the difficulty of outlane drains . we should get to the bottom of this : ).

I checked my manual and the second post is not there. Interesting. Does that mean my high scores don't count

#3677 3 years ago

My (green wire is on NO) and my (White on NC) with a diode across Common / NC. [quoted image]

That is absolutely correct.

I had the exact same problem...ball would go into shark hole, then register roughly 60% of the time; the other 40%...annoying ball search. I made adjustments to the wire loop, and it never remedied anything, even though the switch made an audible "click" when it was pressed.

I replaced the switch with another I had lying around, but carefully pulled the wire loop from the stock switch and transferred it over to the new one. I have heard that the new version with the fork/"Y" shaped wire could be iffy in Baywatch applications, for whatever reason. Either way, the old wire loop on a new switch has been rock solid since.

Interestingly, the switch that registers a full tower ramp hit (the one hung from the habitrail after the ball hits the apex and makes a right hand turn) on my copy does not register reliably in test mode when pressed by hand, and in fact, usually sticks shut (even though it doesn't indicate that in test). It is also a Cherry switch with a yellow trigger. For whatever reason, it functions perfectly when an actual ball triggers the switch, and it doesn't stick. Thusly, I've left it alone and it works fine. I can only guess that engaging the switch by hand over extends it internally or something.

Channeling a little Joe Dirt's dad: "How exactly do the cherry micro switches in Baywatch work? Nobody knows, they just do!"

#3678 3 years ago

Added a comet "spotlight" to add a little light to the guard tower area.

20201212_172928 (resized).jpg20201212_172928 (resized).jpg
#3679 3 years ago

So, after building the color display I took a break. Came back and tackled the trough issue. Problem 1 was a piece of a zip tie lodged in there. It was still binding up, though. Disassembled it, and the trough was dirty and had some rust spots. Cleaned it up with a piece of steel wool, then wiped it and applied some wax. Then, I bent the ball release bracket a little and made sure it was aligned. Finally, I waxed the game and played it for a while without the apron to watch the mechs. Works great now. Played 10 games in a row without a ball search.

#3680 3 years ago

Glad to hear you got it fixed up. Beers!

#3681 3 years ago

I jinxed it. After a bunch of flawless games, I invited my wife to play. And, boom, ball drains and the game just sits there.
I look, and the ball is actually missing. What? I let it do a ball search like normal, and it ends the ball. I look again, and all the balls are there. What?
Happened again, and I start poking around. I discover 2 balls in the vertical kicker that is on the end of the trough. So, not sure how they got there without being found.

#3682 3 years ago

We're probably beating a dead horse, but I FINALLY got everything reliable enough (that I would put mine on location like yours was), by replacing the trough optos and rubber grommets and getting them perfectly aligned; bending the ball bracket back a smidge so the balls sat on their respective roller switches perfectly, and adjusted the shooter lane switch a bunch.

I'd of rather just stuffed a rag down the shooter lane kicker or removed the balls prior to lifting the playfield like in EVERY other game ever, than to deal with the quirkiness of simply getting a ball to the shooter lane reliably, lol.

Good luck my friend!

#3683 3 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

by replacing the trough optos and rubber grommets and getting them perfectly aligned; bending the ball bracket back a smidge so the balls sat on their respective roller switches perfectly, and adjusted the shooter lane switch a bunch.

Yeah, I did all of that. Had to pivot to a Scared Stiff problem, but are there optos on that upkicker? I haven't had a chance to look.

#3684 3 years ago

Yeah, I was able to order a complete set (left and right opto boards) off of marco or pbl over the summer...I was also able to order the actual optical sensors so I could rebuild the originals in the future should there ever be another problem. Make sure to grab new rubber grommets as well, as that keeps them centered and more impervious to vibrating loose.

#3685 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I jinxed it. After a bunch of flawless games, I invited my wife to play. And, boom, ball drains and the game just sits there.
I look, and the ball is actually missing. What? I let it do a ball search like normal, and it ends the ball. I look again, and all the balls are there. What?
Happened again, and I start poking around. I discover 2 balls in the vertical kicker that is on the end of the trough. So, not sure how they got there without being found.

Isnt there a solenoid that pushes a ball into the up-kicker. Only one at a time. The opto in the up-kicker is probly bad and not sensing a ball there so it pushes another ball.

#3686 3 years ago

This is the kicker on the left side of the machine. When the ball enters the guard house, it rolls own to this kicker and comes up under the apron and rolls into the trough. I had a chance to look at it. It's a microswitch.

#3687 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

This is the kicker on the left side of the machine. When the ball enters the guard house, it rolls own to this kicker and comes up under the apron and rolls into the trough. I had a chance to look at it. It's a microswitch.

Gotcha. When you physically "lock" a ball, it rolls from the tower trap door, down the subway, to under the left side of the apron, and is then kicked over to the trough to put the ball back into que. There is a setting to disable the trap door, so when a ball is "locked", it simply continues around the ramp to be fed to the right flipper. The only caveat is that you have to complete the ramp for it to count, as opposed to having a half-ramp shot be good enough with the trap door.

Ahh...good ol' Sega "quirk".

#3688 3 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

hh...good ol' Sega "quirk"

If there were something wrong with your trap door or the solenoid to kick the ball back up into the trough, you could at least keep the game up and running by choosing that option. I would consider that a clever design - not a quirk!

#3689 3 years ago

I suspect a programming bug, actually. Normally, sinking a ball in the shack works great. I've never seen a shot to that failed to get over to the trough. BUT, I kinda suspect that with polished balls and fresh wax, a ball can roll over to left and drop into that hole from above. I say that because I can hear some balls roll that way and take a long time to roll into the trough, arguing that some of them make it all the way to the hole. The question is, will the game autodetect this and kick the ball out, or will they sit until a ball search kicks them out? Perhaps a question for ChadH

#3690 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Normally, sinking a ball in the shack works great. I've never seen a shot to that failed to get over to the trough.

I've never made a hole in one golfing yet, but that doesn't mean it can't happen! Linkages break, transistors get fried, switches fail - hell, the subway could fall off the bottom of the playfield. I'm staying with clever design to give the operator an alternate means to keep the game running while still keeping it's scoring functionality. There are many games designed to disable certain mechanisms, so as to keep a machine playable until you have the opportunity (parts and/or time) to really address the underlying problem.

#3691 3 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I'm staying with clever design to give the operator an alternate means to keep the game running while still keeping it's scoring functionality.

I agree with you. I think you were thinking of the quirk comment above(not mine). As someone who operates a couple of games, the ability to turn off a problematic mech and keep the game playing is a bonus, in my book.
I'm going to pull the apron tonight and attempt to get to the bottom of this. I'll roll the balls into the hole from the top and see if it's aware of them.

#3692 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I agree with you. I think you were thinking of the quirk comment above(not mine). As someone who operates a couple of games, the ability to turn off a problematic mech and keep the game playing is a bonus, in my book.
I'm going to pull the apron tonight and attempt to get to the bottom of this. I'll roll the balls into the hole from the top and see if it's aware of them.

I have long sold my Baywatch but if I’m understanding the question correctly, the game notices when a ball enters the “ball lock” left trough instead of the normal right trough. I remember it would always give a “Baywatch will be right back” so there were times it came down the right out lane with speed and I’d give it a bump to try to make it “accidentally” enter the left eject trough.

#3693 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I have long sold my Baywatch but if I’m understanding the question correctly, the game notices when a ball enters the “ball lock” left trough instead of the normal right trough.

Ok. Then I'm probably looking at a faulty kicker switch, too. Thanks for the confirmation.

#3694 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I suspect a programming bug, actually. Normally, sinking a ball in the shack works great. I've never seen a shot to that failed to get over to the trough. BUT, I kinda suspect that with polished balls and fresh wax, a ball can roll over to left and drop into that hole from above. I say that because I can hear some balls roll that way and take a long time to roll into the trough, arguing that some of them make it all the way to the hole. The question is, will the game autodetect this and kick the ball out, or will they sit until a ball search kicks them out? Perhaps a question for chadh

Theres is a switch inside the ramp underneath. Perhaps for some reason, the up-kicker wont kick unless the ramp is triggered. And if A ball somehow gets in there, it will stay there until theres a ball search.

#3695 3 years ago

Ok, I popped the apron off and verified repeatedly. If the ball goes into the shack, it gets popped out into the trough everytime with no errors. If it enters the hole from above(by rolling too far to the left) then the ball is lost until a ball search. I suspect that this happens most often with two rapid drains from the right outlane. I also saw it bounce a ball from the trough back into the hole when it had 2 balls loaded. This could be problematic if it happened multiple times.
So, solutions are:
1) a ROM fix to find this errant ball and kick it out, regardless of the preceding shack switch event. Without knowing a lot more, I don't know if this is feasible. Only knowing x86 assembler at this point, I would think that it would take a few lines of code(check switch state, trigger solenoid) which may or may not impact the larger game.
2) Add a wireform to the area to act as a one way gate. Not too keen on physical hacking without having spare parts to back out changes.

#3696 3 years ago

How often do balls roll up there?

#3697 3 years ago

Once I waxed the playfield, a few did. It's not constant and not always an issue, but it really sucks to get it stuck there when you still have a ball save timer, since the timer will expire before the ball search kicks in. There's never a reason for the balls to stay there, so if I were patching the ROM, I would add a check for that switch during the switch reading look and immediately kick the solenoid.

#3698 3 years ago

Does anyone have any advice on getting the skill shot working consistently? I've tried adjusting the wireform exit and I've also removed windings from the coil to make it stronger. It was working good after strenghtening the coil but now it's failing again.

Is there maybe a list of things to check/adjust? I think the skill shot is the last thing I need to do before I've got the machine dialed in.

#3699 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Does anyone have any advice on getting the skill shot working consistently? I've tried adjusting the wireform exit and I've also removed windings from the coil to make it stronger. It was working good after strenghtening the coil but now it's failing again.
Is there maybe a list of things to check/adjust? I think the skill shot is the last thing I need to do before I've got the machine dialed in.

I've struggled for a couple years with my plunge. Used to be great, now it makes it....usually, but it's tough sometimes. I have waxed the wireform, lined everything up, tightened this, that, dang, its annoying.

Edit- I have a handful of different coils laying around, I could try a stronger one also

#3700 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Once I waxed the playfield, a few did. It's not constant and not always an issue, but it really sucks to get it stuck there when you still have a ball save timer, since the timer will expire before the ball search kicks in. There's never a reason for the balls to stay there, so if I were patching the ROM, I would add a check for that switch during the switch reading look and immediately kick the solenoid.

I threw a ball in that hole to see what mine does. And once it did a ball-search and 3 times kicked up and gave me the ball-save animation.
Maybe you can install a one way wire-gate?
Then balls can roll down, but not up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 5,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only/page/74?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.