IMG_4651 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4759 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4749 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4744 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4745 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2255 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4661 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 103.
#2801 5 years ago

Back again for the evening crowd. Trying to dial this thing in and want to see if someone can help clear up a few things. I'm using Chad's code for reference...

1. Is there a setting to only advance the locks on completion of the drops and not on ball advancement? On hard and extra hard it looks like it takes more sets of drops to light the lock within the same ball, but it will still advance one per ball. Am I missing something or is this a Sega quirk?

2. How exactly do the shark awards work? Whenever I get a shark I see RST on the display...not sure what that means. Do you have to collect sharks via the scoop THEN shark flip in for the award?

3. The "light orbit" on the right inlane roll over...what does this do? I hear a sound when I hit the switch but nothing seems to light? I assumed it would light the left orbit for some sort of hurry up shot but maybe I'm just missing it...

Thanks for any light anyone can shed!

#2802 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

The "light orbit" on the right inlane roll over...what does this do? I hear a sound when I hit the switch but nothing seems to light? I assumed it would light the left orbit for some sort of hurry up shot but maybe I'm just missing it...

I believe it just triggers the diverter to allow the ball to complete the full orbit. It's a weird insert and isn't very well integrated into the game.

#2803 5 years ago

For number 2.
The RST initials is from the “shark award” high score. It comes up when you hit the shark scoop. Get a better score on shark award and put your initials in.

#2804 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I can backhand the lock shot, but I can't backhand it all the way up the ramp.

Same here

#2805 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Back again for the evening crowd. Trying to dial this thing in and want to see if someone can help clear up a few things. I'm using Chad's code for reference...
1. Is there a setting to only advance the locks on completion of the drops and not on ball advancement? On hard and extra hard it looks like it takes more sets of drops to light the lock within the same ball, but it will still advance one per ball. Am I missing something or is this a Sega quirk?
2. How exactly do the shark awards work? Whenever I get a shark I see RST on the display...not sure what that means. Do you have to collect sharks via the scoop THEN shark flip in for the award?
3. The "light orbit" on the right inlane roll over...what does this do? I hear a sound when I hit the switch but nothing seems to light? I assumed it would light the left orbit for some sort of hurry up shot but maybe I'm just missing it...
Thanks for any light anyone can shed!

Shark awards are triggered by the rollover switch just above the shark flipper. The ball has to pass through that lane and immediately go in the shark hole without hitting any other switches to score the award - the shark standup targets aren't involved. Northerndude is correct about RST being the initials of the Shark Flip Champion.

"Light Orbit" just opens the ball gate on the upper right of the play field (which is probably the noise you hear) allowing the ball to go all the way around the top arch. Otherwise, when the gate stays down, the ball is stopped and goes through the top lanes, into the pops.

#2806 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I believe it just triggers the diverter to allow the ball to complete the full orbit. It's a weird insert and isn't very well integrated into the game.

Quoted from northerndude:

For number 2.
The RST initials is from the “shark award” high score. It comes up when you hit the shark scoop. Get a better score on shark award and put your initials in.

Quoted from TopMoose:

Shark awards are triggered by the rollover switch just above the shark flipper. The ball has to pass through that lane and immediately go in the shark hole without hitting any other switches to score the award - the shark standup targets aren't involved. Northerndude is correct about RST being the initials of the Shark Flip Champion.
"Light Orbit" just opens the ball gate on the upper right of the play field (which is probably the noise you hear) allowing the ball to go all the way around the top arch. Otherwise, when the gate stays down, the ball is stopped and goes through the top lanes, into the pops.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the clarification. Sounds like the orbit is working as intended so that's good. The initials make sense now, just weird how they are randomly displayed mid-game - kind of caught me off guard - ha! Really digging this so far. I need to get my level/incline nailed down to balance out the speed/skill shot making it through the gate. Seems like the skill shot for the shark hole and side ramp make it past the gate on the plunge like ~80%.

#2807 5 years ago

The faster the ball goes over and around on the wire form from launch will help make it past the gate. To increase speed on the wire form apply a coat of pure carnauba wax, let dry, and buff off. Don’t use any cleaner or abrasive waxes they may remove the gold coating on wire forms. It isn’t the easiest thing to do but you are mainly trying to coat the area on the wire form where the ball comes in contact with it.

#2808 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

The faster the ball goes over and around on the wire form from launch will help make it past the gate. To increase speed on the wire form apply a coat of pure carnauba wax, let dry, and buff off. Don’t use any cleaner or abrasive waxes they may remove the gold coating on wire forms. It isn’t the easiest thing to do but you are mainly trying to coat the area on the wire form where the ball comes in contact with it.

Not that I have done this, but I would think a gun lubricant (like Eezox) would work on these as well since it's made for metal to metal contact. Not a ton of it, but maybe just a dab on the fingers and run up and down. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

#2809 5 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Not that I have done this, but I would think a gun lubricant (like Eezox) would work on these as well since it's made for metal to metal contact. Not a ton of it, but maybe just a dab on the fingers and run up and down. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I’d steer clear of anything other than wax. Don’t think the ball picking up the gun lubricant and spreading it wherever it goes would be a good idea.

#2810 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I’d steer clear of anything other than wax. Don’t think the ball picking up the gun lubricant and spreading it wherever it goes would be a good idea.

Yeah, I guess it could travel with the ball.

#2811 5 years ago

Here's one (maybe for ChadH ?)...playing around last night and during both video modes the game code version screen flashed very briefly on the display, then the game behaved as normal. Anyone else ever experience that? Maybe a bug?

#2812 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Here's one (maybe for chadh ?)...playing around last night and during both video modes the game code version screen flashed very briefly on the display, then the game behaved as normal. Anyone else ever experience that? Maybe a bug?

Your display reset mostly likely due to a voltage drop to the driver board.

#2813 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Here's one (maybe for chadh ?)...playing around last night and during both video modes the game code version screen flashed very briefly on the display, then the game behaved as normal. Anyone else ever experience that? Maybe a bug?

I've experienced the same, I assumed it was a voltage drop or something, but maybe it is code related.

#2814 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Your display reset mostly likely due to a voltage drop to the driver board.

Quoted from PTHermes:

I've experienced the same, I assumed it was a voltage drop or something, but maybe it is code related.

Hm, voltage was my initial thought but since it didn't reset I kind of set that aside...I'll see if I can replicate it. Not sure what would cause it in video modes vs. regular play.

#2815 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Hm, voltage was my initial thought but since it didn't reset I kind of set that aside...I'll see if I can replicate it. Not sure what would cause it in video modes vs. regular play.

The display driver is more sensitive to 5 volt drops than any of the other boards.

#2816 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

The display driver is more sensitive to 5 volt drops than any of the other boards.

I just found a related thread on that, it looks like there are some recommended things to look at on the power supply like the connectors and caps which are easy enough. I have a color DMD in there if that matters (got the game that way) but I assume the principal is the same.

#2817 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I just found a related thread on that, it looks like there are some recommended things to look at on the power supply like the connectors and caps which are easy enough. I have a color DMD in there if that matters (got the game that way) but I assume the principal is the same.

even the color dmd still uses the original display driver board. I had the same issue and using a new cable like instructed fixed it.

#2818 5 years ago

Got some Baywatch stuff. Only interested selling in Continental US right now
01B22135-67A4-4583-8E2C-32E8AE1F9298 (resized).jpeg01B22135-67A4-4583-8E2C-32E8AE1F9298 (resized).jpeg10A4A4DF-4786-4F96-BDE0-970C9B61493F (resized).jpeg10A4A4DF-4786-4F96-BDE0-970C9B61493F (resized).jpeg0FA7D411-98E1-40A7-B018-75DC8F37B6D0 (resized).jpeg0FA7D411-98E1-40A7-B018-75DC8F37B6D0 (resized).jpeg25D80EF3-95EF-4627-BC67-B0EFA051F633 (resized).jpeg25D80EF3-95EF-4627-BC67-B0EFA051F633 (resized).jpeg28B00EF8-9B22-4788-AE82-93E2972B0517 (resized).jpeg28B00EF8-9B22-4788-AE82-93E2972B0517 (resized).jpeg3C07946E-72B4-429E-B97A-6100E5D4E714 (resized).jpeg3C07946E-72B4-429E-B97A-6100E5D4E714 (resized).jpeg

Added over 5 years ago:

Power supply is sold, and the one flipper rebuild kit that was complete

#2819 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I can backhand the lock shot, but I can't backhand it all the way up the ramp.

If you could backhand it all the way up the ramp I would praise your ability...but wouldn't that then be a backhanded compliment?

#2820 5 years ago

Hopefully this isn't spamming but wanted to cross post this here if anyone has any clues to help out!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-switch-matrix-flipper-issue

#2822 5 years ago

Hello everyone --- I recently purchased my first pinball machine, and it's Baywatch, so sorry if this is a dumb question. I am a seasoned player, but I am extremely new to pintech too, I know how to remove glass and release stuck balls but that's the extent of my knowledge to date.

I have been having problems with the upper right gate opening with consistency, and I've read threads and know this is a known issue. And I'm hoping there's not an other issue with the machine already (it was recently shopped), which brings me to...

My question (that i cannot find the answer to despite my searching) is the lower gate - aka the search and rescue gate. When I have it lit during play, sometimes when i hit it in there, search and rescue will not "start" (because the gate doesn't open up down there to gobble the ball), and instead the ball falls down to the shark flipper. i noticed this happening when the shark flip is activated. So, long winded way of getting to - *Does Shark Flip take precedence over Search and Rescue"?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Stephanie Traub

#2823 5 years ago

First of all.....welcome to the club Stephanie. And congrats on a most excellent choice for a first pinball machine! The first thing you need to do is get the latest CPU and display ROMs from Chad H. There is a guy on pinside you can buy them from @ Matt's basement arcade. These roms cause the gate to stay open longer (as well as other bug fixes) as the factory default does not allow it to stay open for nearly long enough. The next thing you should do is check the slope of your machine. There are free apps in the app store for incline. Just look up inclinometer. Welcome to the best office in the world!!!

#2824 5 years ago

Also if you can..... try to donate to Chad H on his site for his awesome work! He has improved code for many games (Espically Baywatch) and is kinda......THE MAN!

#2825 5 years ago

V_piscopo Thanks! I will look into that. I still do have the question though, just generally speaking, about Search and Rescue over Shark Flip. Will Shark Flip override the search and rescue?

#2826 5 years ago
Quoted from MuddyMaeSuggins:

v_piscopo Thanks! I will look into that. I still do have the question though, just generally speaking, about Search and Rescue over Shark Flip. Will Shark Flip override the search and rescue?

I don’t believe so. Search and rescue would be open and ball would fall right in.

Congrats on the BW. I have 7 pins and it’s my favourite to play!

#2827 5 years ago

ChadH any chance you could make an individual coil power setting for the ball launch? Most all of these games have problems getting the ball all the way to the big skill shots and I wouldn't want to have all the coils turned up high when they don't need to be.

#2828 5 years ago

I had people over and we were play testing BW before route. The gate on the upper right, that opens/closes for skills shots etc, seems to open super late, so the last two skill shots don’t work as the gate opens after the ball hits the closed gate, then it opens. I have the custom (Chad) rom in and I want to say on stock it didn’t? Is this changeable or bad switch I need to check?

#2829 5 years ago

In the time it took to write that you could have checked switches.

Check your switches.

#2830 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I had people over and we were play testing BW before route. The gate on the upper right, that opens/closes for skills shots etc, seems to open super late, so the last two skill shots don’t work as the gate opens after the ball hits the closed gate, then it opens. I have the custom (Chad) rom in and I want to say on stock it didn’t? Is this changeable or bad switch I need to check?

It has to be something physical with the game. On the original code it barely ever worked for me, on the Chad code it is rare that it doesn't work.

#2831 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

It has to be something physical with the game. On the original code it barely ever worked for me, on the Chad code it is rare that it doesn't work.

With Chad's code mine opens and closes fine timing wise, the ball just doesn't always have enough speed to make it 100% of the time. If I plunge with a bit of a nudge forward it usually makes it but a bit more power on the plunger coil would be awesome. I think mine is set around 6 degrees.

#2832 5 years ago

You could always take a couple windings out of that coil or buy a more powerful coil? Mine works every time which Chad H code and I think a lot of it is finding the perfect slope for your machine.

#2833 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

You could always take a couple windings out of that coil or buy a more powerful coil? Mine works every time which Chad H code and I think a lot of it is finding the perfect slope for your machine.

I've been thinking about the coil just haven't really looked into it yet to be honest to see what the next "power" up is, but it seems like a good option. I have been playing with the level a bit but once I start getting below 5.5 degrees the game gets a bit slow and floaty (for my taste anyway). I really like how it plays where it sits now.

#2834 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I had people over and we were play testing BW before route.

Where it going to be on route?

#2835 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Check your switches.

On plunge does the ball hit a switch to open that gate along the way, or is it timed?

Quoted from Tsskinne:

That is what I am hoping. I know the switch for the tower lock was really out of alignment and would pop up long after the ball rolled through.

Quoted from grantopia:

With Chad's code mine opens and closes fine timing wise, the ball just doesn't always have enough speed to make it 100% of the time. If I plunge with a bit of a nudge forward it usually makes it but a bit more power on the plunger coil would be awesome. I think mine is set around 6 degrees.

I haven't checked the angle of the game, but the ball doesn't get up there "fast" seems okay speed wise, if it was slower I don't know it would make it.

Quoted from V_piscopo:

mmmm Yes I should check slope of the game. I really haven't done much to BW or my BK and I should verify that.

Quoted from PinRob:

Where it going to be on route?

The Rex bar, down in the basement of Fitgers! They have a sopranos and BDK there now too. Plus my BK will go there.

#2836 5 years ago

Back by popular demand, I have made another run of shaker kits for Baywatch: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/75769

#2837 5 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Back by popular demand, I have made another run of shaker kits for Baywatch: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/75769

I put mine in last night. It's awesome! Thanks PTHermes

#2838 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Check your switches.

Which switches? The trough and the gate are the only ones I can think of

#2840 5 years ago

Hey there, looking for the boat plastic that’s in the shooter lane. Used is just fine if you have an extra. Will PayPal or whatever is easiest. I have a US address (Armed Post Office / APO)
Thanks!!
Rob

#2841 5 years ago

There is brand new ones in marketplace man

#2842 5 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

Hey there, looking for the boat plastic that’s in the shooter lane. Used is just fine if you have an extra. Will PayPal or whatever is easiest. I have a US address (Armed Post Office / APO)
Thanks!!
Rob

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1026-bright-lights-pinball/02039-baywatch-boat-plastic-z-plastic

#2843 5 years ago

Longshot but anyone have any ideas I haven't tried related resetting dmd? I'm beginning to think it's a bug in the unofficial code...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-dmd-resetting-issues#post-4880007

#2844 5 years ago

Figure out when it is resetting and see if you can replicate it.

#2845 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Figure out when it is resetting and see if you can replicate it.

Sorry...not quite sure what you mean by replicate it. It happens sometimes when a ball is served to the shooter "lane" at the beginning of a ball and sometimes after a video mode. It doesn't happen 100% of the time in these instances though, so sometimes never, sometimes 2 or 3 times a game but only in those conditions. It doesn't happen during regular play or when balls are served to the shooter lane after a lock or in multiball.

#2846 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Sorry...not quite sure what you mean by replicate it. It happens sometimes when a ball is served to the shooter "lane" at the beginning of a ball and sometimes after a video mode. It doesn't happen 100% of the time in these instances though, so sometimes never, sometimes 2 or 3 times a game but only in those conditions. It doesn't happen during regular play or when balls are served to the shooter lane after a lock or in multiball.

you could also power the dmd with an auxiliary 5v power supply and see if the resetting keeps happening. then you could 100% rule out if its a power supply issue or something else.

#2847 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

So it absolutely 100% ONLY happens in those 2 scenarios ?? Strange

I had DMD resetting that plagued me for ages - had the 5V upgrade, changed connectors, reflowed joints. The issue would come and go. Finally I swapped the ribbon cable for another. Touch wood ...hasn't reset for months now. Have you swapped ribbons ? Might be worth a shot.

#2848 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

you could also power the dmd with an auxiliary 5v power supply and see if the resetting keeps happening. then you could 100% rule out if its a power supply issue or something else.

I hadn't thought of that, but I don't think I have the equipment needed unfortunately. I may try the power supply in someone else's game if I can track one down.

Quoted from Ive:

So it absolutely 100% ONLY happens in those 2 scenarios ?? Strange
I had DMD resetting that plagued me for ages - had the 5V upgrade, changed connectors, reflowed joints. The issue would come and go. Finally I swapped the ribbon cable for another. Touch wood ...hasn't reset for months now. Have you swapped ribbons ? Might be worth a shot.

That is the only time I have seen it, and I have been watching pretty close. It doesn't happen 100% of the time either, so ball 1 could be fine, then ball 2 triggers a reset. I hadn't swapped the cable but mainly because I thought it was just data and not voltage so I assumed that wasn't part of my problem. Can't hurt to try I guess. Are you taking about the cable from the MPU to the DMD?

#2849 5 years ago

Grant I swapped both cables. My problem was the pins on the controller.

#2850 5 years ago

I don't think new code has anything to do with it as we are all rocking new code and not having resets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only/page/57?hl=chalkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.