IMG_4651 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4759 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4749 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4744 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4745 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2255 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4661 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 103.
#2051 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I dont feel like digging up the sunset screen that matches exactly what ColorDMD posted, but this is close enough:

I dug up your sunset screen for you just to be fair. This is what the output should look like on PIN2DMD (if it were keyed correctly).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2052 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I dug up your sunset screen for you just to be fair. This is what the output should look like on PIN2DMD (if it were keyed correctly).

One of us can't seem to move on, spoiler, its not me. You dug up *a* sunset screen, not the one I did. That one isnt even masked, its just a pal applied.
Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
That being said, Eric's looks much better, but mines not nearly as shitty as implied earlier. This also isnt the final version I did, but I only have my old BETA source files to go by. The final was pretty close to this but still not as good as Erics.

#2053 6 years ago

So is the Pin2DMD XL going to give me the same quality the new ColorDMD-X puts out? I just want to install and play my Baywatch in color...

#2054 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

That being said, Eric's looks much better, but mines not nearly as shitty as implied earlier. This also isnt the final version I did, but I only have my old BETA source files to go by. The final was pretty close to this but still not as good as Erics.

The one I dug up was actually in the latest published source files (I don't think anything has changed in a month) - it is called "solo highscore" and it is the only one in the file and it is color masked. The one I originally showed is what is actually being output to my DMD. So, you would have to ask your associates what happened there - I guess not all of your artwork made it into the current final product - I have no idea - I just know the current published state that any customer has in their actual machine.

Look, I know it takes a lot of effort to colorize these screens. I know I don't have the patience to do it myself, so I commend everyone that does. My real complaint with the Baywatch PIN2DMD-XL is that it really is not complete. There are many scenes that are not really colorized (No I don't consider assignment of a 4-color palette as being colorized!). The TV snippets are so "muddy" they honestly look better on the old plasma (which is what I now have installed back in my machine). There are also discontinuities in the transitions from scene-to-scene that look awful. Bottom line, it's just not a complete product and some people are in denial about it. And before anyone says it - I know all about the open source community effort spiel - STOP - that just doesn't work for this. It takes a concerted effort from a small group of experts, not hundreds of casual hobbyists, to colorize and key these frames to completion. The fact is 99.8% of us will never be an expert or even have an interest in doing this type of work. However, I guess we make up for it by handing money over to people - that's the way it works!

So bottom line, let's be fair and see what the ColorDMD guys have come up with, and not rain on the parade by tossing out words like "oversell" in a derogatory manner. It's only a few days to the debut anyway, then we'll all know...

#2055 6 years ago

When I developed PIN2DMD for my Batman Forever it was just meant as a replacement for the defective plasma I bought it with. I could have used a DMDExtender but I just did not like a PC monitor in a pinball. The 2mm dot pitch 64x64 LED panels perfectly matched the size of the plasma screen and that is why I gave it a try. Just for fun I later added the possibility to use the colorization methods which worked with the small 128x32 panels to give me the opportunity to give my machine more color if I have the time. Malenko was the first who took this opportunity to colorize a baywatch from a friend of his. I still think it looks great although it misses some scenes. ColorDMD now copied the idea with the 2mm dot-pitch LED panels and made a commercial product out of it. Combined with the 10 years experience in colorizing pinball games I´m sure it will be a great product but I´m also sure it would not have been on the market now without the competition Randy is seeing in my homebrew hobby project. So if you are willing to spend 470$ ColorDMD I´m sure you will be happy with ColorDMD. I´m still happy with my 200$ DIY solution.

#2056 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

ColorDMD now copied the idea

yeah, LOL! Seriously... You are going to claim that colorDMD copied the idea of colorizing a game by taking the signal form the driver and modifying it to turn it to color? really? that is laughable.

Quoted from lucky1:

I´m still happy with my 200$ DIY solution.

I tried for many hours to get that hack of a solution to work. I spent around $350 in parts that still sit in a box. I bought all the crap and then had to pay extra for it to even be unlocked to possibly use from some other company. I got shitty customer service in trying to hook the junk up and never got it to work. I would have been happy with a solution for $200 if if actually worked, when there was no other alternative, and if it looked even remotely of the calibur that colorDMD appears.

Sorry, but it is not even close.

Quoted from wrohner:

So is the Pin2DMD XL going to give me the same quality the new ColorDMD-X puts out? I just want to install and play my Baywatch in color...

No, not even close. Dont waste your time or money on on the hack off alternative. Go to the tried and true product and manufacturer in ColorDMD. Great customer service and great product.

#2057 6 years ago

Get this thread back on topic of Baywatch please. Take all coloring posts to the other threads. This morning I see 11 new posts here and it's all bickering about colors.

#2058 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

So bottom line, let's be fair and see what the ColorDMD guys have come up with, and not rain on the parade by tossing out words like "oversell" in a derogatory manner. It's only a few days to the debut anyway, then we'll all know...

Again, I wasn't being derogatory towards the product or the colorization, I was making fun of a poor choice of marketing words. In other words, their sales pitch is a little over the top for my personal tastes. They have a well established track record for delivering great colorizations , so I find it very unlikely their first large format release is going to buck that trend. Eric being the artist just doubles up the likelihood that the colorization is going to be amazing.

#2059 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Get this thread back on topic of Baywatch please. Take all coloring posts to the other threads. This morning I see 11 new posts here and it's all bickering about colors.

agreed.

#2060 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I was making fun of a poor choice of marketing words.

The market will be the judge if they oversold it. If the video modes are truly colorized, it will be something we haven't seen on this game before.

Quoted from PoMC:

We don't bicker on Pinside. We have intelligent conversations and/or debates so people can make informative buying decisions. I can't think of a more relevant on-topic Baywatch discussion 2 days before the debut of this product.

#2061 6 years ago

Has anyone installed the LEDOCD board? Asking as my wife loves playing Baywatch but can't handle the constant flashing of the GI lighting. Hoping to find away to keep LED's and smooth out or disable the flashing.

#2062 6 years ago

Install Chads new code instead. It balances the game properly, fixes bugs and has a lot less GI flickering.

#2063 6 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Install Chads new code instead. It balances the game properly, fixes bugs and has a lot less GI flickering.

Exactly right, toss a few bucks out on the new code. I was in line for a board, but after new code, I decided against it, It's muuuch better now!

OR if you unplug the harness into the board, it disables the flashing GI also

#2064 6 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Has anyone installed the LEDOCD board? Asking as my wife loves playing Baywatch but can't handle the constant flashing of the GI lighting. Hoping to find away to keep LED's and smooth out or disable the flashing.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east

I have the EnerGI Maestro board and it works great. It was installed before Chad's Code upgrade, so I haven't experienced the machine with Chad's code and no board.

#2065 6 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

There is actually a board designed specifically to address this. It's called the EnerGI Maestro ...

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

Edit: Looks like PTHermes beat me to the punch.

#2066 6 years ago

that board is seriously GREAT!

#2067 6 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

Yep. I reduced the OFF/ON GI flashing by a very large amount. Still flashes on occasion to punctuate certain events like most other games... but those times where it literally quickly flashes OFF/ON 18 times in a row? GONE! Those times where it just flashes constantly every second after you lock all three balls? GONE! Give it a try.

#2068 6 years ago

I am pretty sure I have all non ghosting in my inserts but there is still some ghosting going on. Maybe I missed a few? Has anybody else installed all non ghosting comets in the inserts and still had some ghosting?

#2069 6 years ago

Yes, I put in non-ghost Comets in my BW and have had good results. I cheaped out once and hated all the ghosting on my Fish Tales, never again will I do that.

#2070 6 years ago

How many owners have the right ramp cracked/missing ramp chunks at the entrance? The upper entrance is missing the metal protectors and has chunks missing on mine :/

#2071 6 years ago

EnerGI Maestro ordered. Thanks!!!

#2072 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

How many owners have the right ramp cracked/missing ramp chunks at the entrance?

Let's see pics of yours?

#2073 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

How many owners have the right ramp cracked/missing ramp chunks at the entrance? The upper entrance is missing the metal protectors and has chunks missing on mine :/

A replacement ramp might be tough to find, so you'll probably have to live with a good repair. You could request this guy to make some and see what he says (doesn't cost anything to ask):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps

He does high quality work. I'm sure he would want to sell at least a dozen or so to make it worth his time (you could count me in to buy one). He would also need your ramp to make a mold if he decides to do it.

Either way you go, you obviously need to get some metal guards on it. Those shouldn't be difficult to make.

#2074 6 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

True there is money to be recouped selling your old display....but $350 ??... if I was thinking of spending $350 for a used old original - which lets face it could start flaking out anytime - I'd probably find the extra for a brand new ColorDMD.

#2075 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Let's see pics of yours?

I'll grab you pics when I get home. Crappy part too, is my metal protectors are missing and those are not obtainable either. So we'd need cliffy to fashion up a set.

Quoted from sudsy7:

A replacement ramp might be tough to find, so you'll probably have to live with a good repair. You could request this guy to make some and see what he says (doesn't cost anything to ask):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps
He does high quality work. I'm sure he would want to sell at least a dozen or so to make it worth his time (you could count me in to buy one). He would also need your ramp to make a mold if he decides to do it.
Either way you go, you obviously need to get some metal guards on it. Those shouldn't be difficult to make.

ya, freeplay40 is my/our only hope, unless someone does it on their own. Luckily it isn't too big of a ramp. I had this talk with freeplay and the checkpoint ramp.

#2076 6 years ago

Finally, a message that gets right to the point.

#2077 6 years ago

I’ll be joining the club again on Monday. The new color DMD may have had an influence on that decision.

#2078 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Look, I know it takes a lot of effort to colorize these screens. I know I don't have the patience to do it myself, so I commend everyone that does. My real complaint with the Baywatch PIN2DMD-XL is that it really is not complete. There are many scenes that are not really colorized (No I don't consider assignment of a 4-color palette as being colorized!). The TV snippets are so "muddy" they honestly look better on the old plasma (which is what I now have installed back in my machine). There are also discontinuities in the transitions from scene-to-scene that look awful. Bottom line, it's just not a complete product and some people are in denial about it. And before anyone says it - I know all about the open source community effort spiel - STOP - that just doesn't work for this. It takes a concerted effort from a small group of experts, not hundreds of casual hobbyists, to colorize and key these frames to completion. The fact is 99.8% of us will never be an expert or even have an interest in doing this type of work. However, I guess we make up for it by handing money over to people - that's the way it works!

Well said. I contemplated getting one....but hearing about it not being totally done I decided against it. If I’m going to spend money on a colored DMD I want one that’s completely done, and I can’t wait to see the reveal from TPF.

#2079 6 years ago

$50 price reduction on PIN2DMD-XL. I think I just heard Martha say, "Competition...it's a good thing".

#2080 6 years ago

So shipped in the US one is $468 and one is $485

#2081 6 years ago

Just finished sconplete topside tear down, deep cleaning, wax, LED's. Machine works fine except now both flippers do a shotgun thing when activated. Top left and shark flipper work fine, just bottoms. Checked wires and everything looks fine/ connected. Could a diode of broken off? These are solid state flippers. I know on older coils if the eos switch is bad or the hold winding is broken it can cause this but not sure on solid state flippers.

#2082 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Machine works fine except now both flippers do a shotgun thing when activated.

Looks like the flipper hold circuits aren't working? If all the wiring is correct and the EOS switches are set correctly, check the 9VAC fuses (individual fuse for each flipper) on the flipper boards (in the cabinet left side). Also check fuse holder blades (notorious for becoming brittle/fatigued, and if so, there will be no continuity in the circuit even if the fuse tests good -I had to replace all of them in my machine).

#2083 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Looks like the flipper hold circuits aren't working? If all the wiring is correct and the EOS switches are set correctly, check the 9VAC fuses (individual fuse for each flipper) on the flipper boards (in the cabinet left side). Also check fuse holder blades (notorious for becoming brittle/fatigued, and if so, there will be no continuity in the circuit even if the fuse tests good -I had to replace all of them in my machine).

What do sega machines flip with 50v then switch to 9v to the coils? Is it time based and the flipper switch is extra insurance?

#2084 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

What do sega machines flip with 50v then switch to 9v to the coils? Is it time based and the flipper switch is extra insurance?

Yes.

#2085 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Quoted from Langless28:

That fuse is on the flipper board(s) in the lower left of cab?

Also could reflow the connectors on those boards to fix any “cold solder joints”

#2086 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

That fuse is on the flipper board(s) in the lower left of cab?

Also could reflow the connectors on those boards to fix any “cold solder joints”

Yes there is a power fuse and a hold fuse for each flipper (2 boards - each one controls 2 flippers, 4 fuses on each board) on the left side of the cabinet.

Yes, could be cold solder joints.

#2087 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Yes there is a power fuse and a hold fuse for each flipper (2 boards - each one controls 2 flippers, 4 fuses on each board) on the left side of the cabinet.
Yes, could be cold solder joints.

Thanks for leading in right direction. All fuses checked good but I remember reading the shaker install manual recently (bough the machine with shaker kit already installed) and remembered the shaker took 9v from the SSFB. The instructions state you can remove the wire from the idc connector and extend the wire enough for a wago style connector for the shaker so I investigated. 1 of he 9v wires that was re-pushed into the idc connect was barely making contact or disconnected. Pushed it firmly bsck into the idc connector and all is right with the world.

IMG_7284 (resized).JPGIMG_7284 (resized).JPG

#2088 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Thanks for leading in right direction. All fuses checked good but I remember reading the shaker install manual recently (bough the machine with shaker kit already installed) and remembered the shaker took 9v from the SSFB.

No problem - glad you got it fixed. The PTHermes shaker is a another killer upgrade that really boosts the value of this machine.

#2089 6 years ago

We're just one day away from the Texas Pinball Festival and our preview for Baywatch on the new ColorDMD X-LED display! With the higher resolution, large format display there's a lot to see!

Of course, all the things you've come to expect from ColorDMD will be there... full color video modes, full motion capture beauties, and hard-to-color dynamic modes where multiple animation elements change based on gameplay... trapped diver, chopper rescue, shark flip, and more. But Eric Priepke's added one special feature that's never been seen on any ColorDMD before... full color animated scoring!

Watch waves crash and the sun's reflection dynamically ripple on the water, while fully colorized helicopters, boats, sharks, and jetskiers move between and behind embossed score digits that change with each switch hit. It's absolutely stunning!

Baywatch will be set up throughout the weekend in the ColorDMD booth at TPF! Find us along the back wall near the large Marco booth. Don't miss it!

BW_AnimatedScore (resized).PNGBW_AnimatedScore (resized).PNG

#2090 6 years ago

someone who goes to tpf please shoot some video of the colordmd for us who are not attending!

#2091 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

someone who goes to tpf please shoot some video of the colordmd for us who are not attending!

I would imagine ColorDMD will post a preview video like they always do???

#2092 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I would imagine ColorDMD will post a preview video like they always do???

Always better marketing to have a professionally produced video be the first public exposure... someone's shaky far-away camera phone video with bad color correction never does justice to a reveal.

#2093 6 years ago

Just a live demo and shaky cameras for this weekend.

When we get a bit closer to production release for the pilot run, we'll provide a formal game announcement/preview and video.

#2095 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Just a live demo and shaky cameras for this weekend.
Once we get a bit closer to production release for the pilot run, we'll produce a formal game preview and video.

I am most anxious to see the colorization of the animated scoring screen. Hopefully someone can get a good steady up-close shot of it.

#2096 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am most anxious to see the colorization of the animated scoring screen. Hopefully someone can get a good steady up-close shot of it.

i want to see the first video mode colorized

#2097 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

i want to see the first video mode colorized

This one?

ski (resized).pngski (resized).png

#2098 6 years ago

Sold. Is there a waiting list I can sign up for the pilot run?

EDIT: Seriously, take whatever you need and get me on the pilot run waiting list.

MONEY.gifMONEY.gif

#2099 6 years ago

9C23DD61-EADA-4F9F-9595-9B5350A7C848-16360-00000AFED783A65B (resized).jpeg9C23DD61-EADA-4F9F-9595-9B5350A7C848-16360-00000AFED783A65B (resized).jpeg

#2100 6 years ago

bruce-the-shark-and-roy-scheider-in-jaws (resized).jpgbruce-the-shark-and-roy-scheider-in-jaws (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
$ 22.50
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,117 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only/page/42?hl=ieathands and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.