IMG_9109 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8294 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8292 (resized).jpeg
20231226_091120 (resized).jpg
Baywatch (resized).jpg
IMG_0416 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6100 (resized).jpeg

There are 5,081 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 102.
#2001 6 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

True there is money to be recouped selling your old display....but $350 ??... if I was thinking of spending $350 for a used old original - which lets face it could start flaking out anytime - I'd probably find the extra for a brand new ColorDMD.

so would I, but there are tons of people out in the pinball world that are not even aware that the color is coming.

I bet you could ebay your original right now for $350. Put it up this week and play blind for a few weeks till colorDMD X is out

#2002 6 years ago

I was going to say the same about a replacement XL DMD runs about $400 to replace, if you can find them. I'm not in the market for one, but if my DMD goes bad, it's good to know that I can upgrade and spend just a bit more for color, as oppose to getting the cheaper, used, orange option.

#2003 6 years ago

Pricey af but good to know there are replacements whenever you might need it. Original used displays are not exactly cheap either, and forget about finding nos.

#2005 6 years ago

toss it on ebay to get it sold

Also, all the Fb groups.

#2006 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm very excited for the ColorDMD, but that's a heck of a lot of money to spend on an upgrade for a $2,000 game.

True. But think of it this way... let’s say that Baywatch is a $2500 game today. If you take that Baywatch and add a new ColorDMD to it, then you are adding value to that game. Does this mean that the game is still worth $2500? Of course not, that Baywatch is now worth more.

#2007 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm very excited for the ColorDMD, but that's a heck of a lot of money to spend on an upgrade for a $2,000 game.

It was a $2K game a year ago. Show me a decent one selling for that now (even without the ColorDMD).

#2008 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

You gotta admit. This looks beautiful...

92B3E56

Nice. Can't wait to see how the video clips turned out!

#2009 6 years ago

I think with its increasing popularity, it can soon become a $3k game all day long. So for people who purchased it sub $2.5k, it might be justified but then there is little to no recoup costs for other things like new plastics, LED's, flipper rebuilds etc.

Also going off this, I i had a chance to purchase a normal sized DMD game where the seller "if you want to keep the colordmd, add $300 or i can put the original display), I would ask for original and keep the $300 all day long. I'n my opinion $300 is better spend for rebuilds, rubbers, LEDs, replacement parts etc.

but also since I'm indecisive, I helped my friend put in a color DMD on his DESW and I found myself looking at the DMD a hell of alot more during the game than normally.

#2010 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

It was a $2K game a year ago. Show me a decent one selling for that now (even without the ColorDMD).

Quoted from sudsy7:

Nice. Can't wait to see how the video clips turned out!

It was a 2k and less year or two ago...it is 2500+ now. Show me a BW for 2k now. I've only found them for 2600+ all around the US.

#2011 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

I think with its increasing popularity, it can soon become a $3k game all day long.

Quoted from northvibe:

I've only found them for 2600+ all around the US.

I wouldn't even be tempted to take $3K for mine.

#2012 6 years ago

Have you not seen the $3800 Baywatch in the marketplace? I think it's overpriced...but the market is what speaks, not the price police

#2013 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Have you not seen the $3800 Baywatch in the marketplace? I think it's overpriced...but the market is what speaks, not the price police

Haven't you seen the one for $4500? I think this game has already arrived at $3.5K myself. I would take it over any newer Stern (except maybe Met).

#2014 6 years ago

I think it's a total blast and way underscored in the "top100" ratings, IMO this baby could be well into the top 100 with the great shots and now the updated code by Chad, if all the players played it with updated code they'd be all over it!!

#2015 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Quoted from northvibe:

It was a 2k and less year or two ago...it is 2500+ now. Show me a BW for 2k now. I've only found them for 2600+ all around the US.

I purchased mine in late December for $2K even. Perhaps I got a really good deal. I guess there's a first time for everything ...

#2016 6 years ago

I got mine for a reasonable price but it needs some love. Having all the boards worked on, so that will be a small chunk. But I’m so pumped to play the game. Soooo many shots. I keep watching the baywatch papa tutorial waiting for my boards to return

Shaker cane the other day, so I need to get that in too.

Selling the stock dmd is the perfect way to offset the cost of colordmd, or pin2dmd life having options!

#2017 6 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I think the fact that a ColorDMD now exists for the game is awesome. For anyone with an original DMD that's going bad, it's a no-brainer. I just think percentage wise, it's a heck of a lot of money to shell out. I currently have ColorDMDs in six of my games, but the least expensive of those games is around $5K. On the other hand, ColorDMDs seem to be one of the few mods that you can get most of your money back when you sell the game. Plus, if the buyer doesn't want it, you can always remove it and install it in another game or sell it to someone else.

#2018 6 years ago

Cost of the display versus game value, the additional work required to port everything to 192x64, and the small number of games that use this format were all factors in timing support for Baywatch and large format displays. The Baywatch display has over 12,000 individual RGB LEDs, and cost for the modules themselves is more than 3.5x that of a standard display.

Also, that's a lot of work to color all those dots! At $469 you're getting a full 100% colorized and supported display, priced BELOW new plasma displays (lowest price I found was $495... most vendors don't carry them anymore).

The work Eric has done with this game and the incredible amount of detail in this colorization is a true game-changer. The attract score image we posted with the announcement barely scratches the surface. There are features in the Baywatch colorization that you've never seen before on any previous ColorDMD, and we're excited for the reveal at TPF.

Hope to see you there!

Link to Announcement: https://mailchi.mp/dab3143dd067/colordmd-x-led-preview

ColorDMDX (resized).pngColorDMDX (resized).png

#2019 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I purchased mine in late December for $2K even. Perhaps I got a really good deal.

You did get a good deal. I'd buy 6 of those at that price right now. Think about what you have in this machine for $2K and then compare that to what you get in a new Stern for $7K. No brainer. You saved $5K and have a machine with a high fun factor and solid code - why wouldn't you put a $500 upgrade in it is the question?

#2020 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Cost of the display versus game value, the additional work required to port everything to 192x64, and the small number of games that use this format were all factors in timing support for Baywatch and large format displays. The Baywatch display has over 12,000 individual RGB LEDs and cost for the modules themselves is more than 3.5x that of a standard display.

Also, that's a lot of work to color all those dots! At $469 you're getting a full 100% colorized display, priced BELOW new plasma displays (lowest price I found was $495... most vendors don't carry them anymore).

The work Eric has done with this game and the incredible amount of detail in this colorization is a true game-changer. The attract score image barely scratches the surface. There are features in the Baywatch colorization that you've never seen before on any previous ColorDMD, and we're excited for the reveal at TPF.

Randy,

Please don't misunderstand me. I wasn't complaining about the actual cost of the display itself. I know how much work went into the development of this, and I think the price is absolutely fair. I was simply saying that it was a bit more difficult of a decision for me given the cost of the display vs. the cost of the game. I'll probably end up buying one anyway, because it's just so damn cool, and Eric is amazingly good at doing the colorizations. Whatever you are paying that guy, it's not enough.

#2021 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

You did get a good deal. I'd buy 6 of those at that price right now. Think about what you have in this machine for $2K and then compare that to what you get in a new Stern for $7K. No brainer. You saved $5K and have a machine with a high fun factor and solid code - why wouldn't you put a $500 upgrade in it?

Bear in mind, I purchased mine before ColorDMD made the announcement. I think all large display Sega games probably jumped in value instantaneously when the news broke.

#2022 6 years ago

If I sell my large DMD then I'll certainly buy a color one because I'm sure it looks amazing. Baywatch has terrific animations, especially the start of MB when the woman dives into the water. Seeing that in color will be sweet.

The only drawback to me is that it would remain in Baywatch since I don't have another large screen Sega to swap it in. I enjoy moving the ColorDMD to new games I buy and consider that a "feature" personally. But if I can sell my DMD and at least cut the price in 1/2, then done deal.

#2023 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Cost of the display versus game value, the additional work required to port everything to 192x64, and the small number of games that use this format were all factors in timing support for Baywatch and large format displays. The Baywatch display has over 12,000 individual RGB LEDs, and cost for the modules themselves is more than 3.5x that of a standard display.
Also, that's a lot of work to color all those dots! At $469 you're getting a full 100% colorized and supported display, priced BELOW new plasma displays (lowest price I found was $495... most vendors don't carry them anymore).
The work Eric has done with this game and the incredible amount of detail in this colorization is a true game-changer. The attract score image we posted with the announcement barely scratches the surface. There are features in the Baywatch colorization that you've never seen before on any previous ColorDMD, and we're excited for the reveal at TPF.
Hope to see you there!
Link to Announcement: https://mailchi.mp/dab3143dd067/colordmd-x-led-preview

Here's an even tougher sell to Canadians, sucks to have our exchange. Not for me right now.........

469 US Dollars
or 469 USD to CAD:
= 602,06 Canadian Dollar's

#2024 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Bear in mind, I purchased mine before ColorDMD made the announcement. I think all large display Sega games probably jumped in value instantaneously when the news broke.

I'm not sure how many people were actually surprised by this announcement as the news on this one has been breaking for quite a while now, but yes it definitely adds a lot of value to the game, as did the ChadH code update. Couldn't agree more.

Conversely, it puts a huge dent in the value of the old plasma. Should be able to pick one up for $100 -$200 I would guess. Anything more than that, why wouldn't you just spend a little more and get a brand new color display?

#2025 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Here's an even tougher sell to Canadians, sucks to have our exchange. Not for me right now.........
469 US Dollars
or 469 USD to CAD:

Here in the UK ...we are paying about £350 for a regular ColorDMD .... which makes it almost US$500 ........... ...... so the large display is gonna be something like US$600+ for us.

#2026 6 years ago

Anybody want my 192x64 plasma DMD. Perfect - no burn in or outgassing. $250 OBO + shipping

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/61515

#2027 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

469 US Dollars
or 469 USD to CAD:

Same for us in Australia:
465 USD plus freight ($50)=
Australian $ 660! That is serious money

#2028 6 years ago

New re-visited code is firkin AWESOME, a donation for the gallant effort is coming coders way.
I was gonna move this on, but code makes it sooooooo much better! Especially when changing EPROM's you find a bent leg on chip.
Hey if I get some $ I might just have to colour DMD it as well.

#2029 6 years ago

About to do a flipper rebuild and noticed my lower left flipper coil is a 090-5020-20 instead of 090-5030-00. Pretty sure that is a bit more powerful so wondering if I should replace or keep as is.

For reference flipper coil table
lower right = 090-5020-30 | 23-900
lower left = 090-5030-00 | 23-1100
upper right = 090-5030-00 | 23-1100
upper left = 090-5025-00 | 24-1570

edit>>I went ahead and ordered the correct coil. Can always swap it back after rebuild, if needed, as it is in good shape.

#2030 6 years ago
Quoted from jacklick:

About to do a flipper rebuild and noticed my lower left flipper coil is a 090-5020-20 instead of 090-5030-00. Pretty sure that is a bit more powerful so wondering if I should replace or keep as is.
For reference flipper coil table
lower right = 090-5020-30 | 23-900
lower left = 090-5030-00 | 23-1100
upper right = 090-5030-00 | 23-1100
upper left = 090-5025-00 | 24-1570
edit>>I went ahead and ordered the correct coil. Can always swap it back after rebuild, if needed, as it is in good shape.

I replaced both of my lower coils with the factory ones as part of a rebuild when doing a restore on my machine approximately 2 years ago. Have had zero issues hitting every shot on the table since. No reason to put a higher power coil in the machine.

#2031 6 years ago

I concur that the stock coils work fine, no need to make changes.

Last week I had to install weaker 23-900 coils for Twister. Crazy airballs on nearly every missed shot because of the stock flippers being WAY to strong.

#2032 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

it's like nothing you've seen!

Isn't that a *bit* of an oversell? I'm pretty sure its going to be just like all the other colordmd releases except it'll be 192x64. Sunset scene looks great though.

#2033 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Isn't that a *bit* of an oversell? I'm pretty sure its going to be just like all the other colordmd releases except it'll be 192x64. Sunset scene looks great though.

the greater density of LEDs means it looks completely different.

Far superior resolution to the original or that other hack product out there.

#2034 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

the greater density of LEDs means it looks completely different.

So its not colored dots?

#2035 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

So its not colored dots?

it is colored dots, but more of them and it looks way better than anything else out there.

Beyond the technology and better DPI, the colorist ont hs is one of the best with the most experience out there. In other words, good color choice, blending, and accurate to show clips.

#2036 6 years ago

So what I'm saying is, it's like things we've seen before. What you're saying is it's better than things we've seen before. We aren't having the same conversation.

I'm not knocking the product or the end results (the sunset score screen looks better than mine for sure), I'm just saying PinRob's post was really over selling what it is.

#2037 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Oversell? I just copied and pasted the email announcement from ColorDMD. That post other than the first line is from the manufacturer - not me.

#2038 6 years ago

Malenko, you rock. Your SFII colorization and alternate cab and translite are amazing (even though it doesn't make up for a so-so pinball experience). I think you should reach out to colorDMD and see if you could work on some of their projects. I am completely sincere in saying this.

I'm not sure what your alignments are with pin2DMD, but from what I've seen (I own neither) ColorDMD has better support and a better product overall.

#2039 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's WAY overpriced. Did you see the cabinet? Ouch.

Plus the HUO that is at $4500 is really $3800 on the local craigslist and it is sitting. Why it's overpriced on Pinside I have no idea.

#2040 6 years ago

Colordmd uses the same panels like pin2dmd does, the higher density of pixel per inch come from the fact that the 64x64 panels have a pixel pitch of 2mm where the standard sized dmds are 2.5mm far from each other (from center to center).
ColorDMD has a different approach then pin2dmd has.
But please don’t derail another thread again.

#2041 6 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Oversell? I just copied and pasted the email announcement from ColorDMD. That post other than the first line is from the manufacturer - not me.

I should rephrase, what was in your post was an oversell. I didn't mean to imply that you were the one who was overselling. I apologize.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Malenko, you rock. Your SFII colorization and alternate cab and translite are amazing (even though it doesn't make up for a so-so pinball experience). I think you should reach out to colorDMD and see if you could work on some of their projects. I am completely sincere in saying this.
I'm not sure what your alignments are with pin2DMD, but from what I've seen (I own neither) ColorDMD has better support and a better product overall.

We had come to an accord on me coloring Lethal Weapon 3 for them, to the point where I went out and bought the machine. But things fell apart after I released my T2 files and I don't think they trust me with the coloring tools. I've only colored so many games for pin2DMD because its the only option for me. I'd still be down for coloring games for them, especially LW3 since I already have the machine, but Randy would have to pay me a big chunk up front. I had actually hoped to use my abilities in coloring as a way to pay for more machines and expand my collection without dipping into my current earnings.

As for not trusting me with the tools, best I could do is sign a legally enforceable NDA , something I deal with in my day to day as an engineer for a place that provides SaaS and hosting to law firms.

#2042 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

If all the video modes and TV snippets are truly colorized, then it will be like nothing we have ever seen on a 192x64 DMD.

#2043 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

If all the video modes and TV snippets are truly colorized, then it will be like nothing we have ever seen on a 192x64 DMD.

It would still be like something we've seen before.

#2044 6 years ago

Why don’t we all wait and see instead. And then talk about it.

#2045 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm not knocking the product or the end results (the sunset score screen looks better than mine for sure), I'm just saying PinRob's post was really over selling what it is.

To say "this screen looks better than mine" is really under selling it IMO.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2046 6 years ago

Are you sure a screen capture from ColorDMD's editing software looks better than an *uncolored* off-angle photo of an XL display?

So to stress again, I'm not knocking the product, or the result, in fact I complimented it. I dont recall me every saying something disparaging about the product but Ive said on more than 1 occasion that Taxman\ColorDMD did a significantly better job coloring Terminator 2 than I did. Video mode looks amazing on it.

I'm am sorry that I don't attack artists or their work, and that you think its OK to do so.
I am also sorry I don't attack ColorDMD as a product or try to say a competing product is better.

You however are just knocking my work for some reason, so I'll digress. I look forward to the day you take the time to color a game, perhaps then you'll appreciate everything that goes into it like I do.

I dont feel like digging up the sunset screen that matches exactly what ColorDMD posted, but this is close enough:

baywatch (resized).PNGbaywatch (resized).PNG

#2047 6 years ago

Where are you reading that he is knocking your work? That’s not how I interpreted it.

#2048 6 years ago

Sorry, just stop.

Or go take it to another thread where you can put side by side screen grabs of colordmd and your product.

#2049 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Are you sure a screen capture from ColorDMD's editing software looks better than an *uncolored* off-angle photo of an XL display?

I could square up the screen capture for you but it won't help your case any. That screen capture is directly from the latest "colorized" Baywatch PIN2DMD-XL, so I guess another keyframe was missed? There is no attack going on here - that is in your head.

#2050 6 years ago

If him paraphrasing my original post about their marketing line isn't him taking a jab at me, then so be it.

I still look forward to the finished Colorization Eric puts out, he always does amazing work.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Sorry, just stop.
Or go take it to another thread where you can put side by side screen grabs of colordmd and your product.

I dont have a product.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
There are 5,081 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 102.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.