• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hi Pinballfans!
I have red many articles in led topics but not with the installation process.
The problem with i faced that casual bulbs are working in the bayonet socket but i am suffering to install led to the same socket.
With the bulb is easy push it firmly roatate it then the lamp is in place but if am doing it with the led is very hard the upper part of the led is plastic
so it can easily break. (roatats just the upper part of the led not the whole thing)
I thought first may i am buying a scrap but it seems to be all led type are not so robust as the old bayonet lamps.
Perhaps the sockets are also not perfect but the old lamp still working so i did not thought to replace them.
I can imagine for a new sockets the mounting is easy but i am wondering if it is worth to replace all of them ...
Is there a special tool for leds? How are you installing and testing them?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

#2 5 years ago

You can use a shooter tip rubber to get a better grip on the bulb. Works great!

#3 5 years ago

^ Otherwise grip the bulb closer to the base. I do find that cheaper bayonettes crack more easily than something like comet brand. Depending on the game you can install the bulb from under the playfield by taking off one of the screws that hold the socket in place.

#4 5 years ago

I sand down the positive solder point of the led. Especially in the older games I have to do this.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from csab00:

Hi Pinballfans!
I have red many articles in led topics but not with the installation process.
The problem with i faced that casual bulbs are working in the bayonet socket but i am suffering to install led to the same socket.
With the bulb is easy push it firmly roatate it then the lamp is in place but if am doing it with the led is very hard the upper part of the led is plastic
so it can easily break. (roatats just the upper part of the led not the whole thing)
I thought first may i am buying a scrap but it seems to be all led type are not so robust as the old bayonet lamps.
Perhaps the sockets are also not perfect but the old lamp still working so i did not thought to replace them.
I can imagine for a new sockets the mounting is easy but i am wondering if it is worth to replace all of them ...
Is there a special tool for leds? How are you installing and testing them?
Thanks for the answers in advance!

There is a tool, I forget if I got it from Comet or Marco.

#7 5 years ago

I don't think it is a tool issue. It's more that the lens isn't glued down enough and comes loose and spins. If I'm reading the OPs post correctly.

If that is the case, then I don't know what to say, it happens occasionally to me too. But, only a couple in a hundred bulbs, so I toss them out and move on.

I guess you could put a little supper glue on them to help lock the lens in place..?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I don't think it is a tool issue. It's more that the lens isn't glued down enough and comes loose and spins. If I'm reading the OPs post correctly.
If that is the case, then I don't know what to say, it happens occasionally to me too. But, only a couple in a hundred bulbs, so I toss them out and move on.
I guess you could put a little supper glue on them to help lock the lens in place..?

Yes I use comet. 1 in 100-200 breaks. I just move on.

#9 5 years ago

Thanks for the answers!

Yes i think the problem is that they are not glued down enough and spins.
With the hand i can grab only the plastik rounded surface.
The Leds what i have bought:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50PCS-6-3V-BA9S-8-SMD-1206-LED-Non-polarity-anti-flickering-AC-DC-6V-6/32868064263.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d3bm5DU

I wanted to install them to F-14 Tomcat (red and blue) only for the upper part of the playfield.

A (resized).pngA (resized).png
#10 5 years ago

As mentioned above, gently sand down the nub of solder on the bottom of the bulb. Just a little at a time until it seats snugly into the socket.

#11 5 years ago

Frosted dome FTW.

I find that a frosted dome gives a much more even light, especially when used in playfield inserts and DEFINITELY when used in a behind a backglass.

The upside is that you have a nice domed surface to grip the bulb to insert or remove it.

I cant really think of anywhere I'd prefer to use a flat-top LED, maybe somewhere there is a weird clearance issue or something?

#12 5 years ago

flat leds work well in small inserts.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

flat leds work well in small inserts.

Good point. I don't run into those too often.

The arrows on TAXI would be a good example.

#14 5 years ago

They have their applications, but for the most part not worth buying separately unless you're buying bulk of both which would work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bayonet-led-installation-?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.