(Topic ID: 65105)

Bay Area Amusements.. Please learn from my experience.

By visi0n

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Manic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC09560.JPG
    wood-starwars-wood-baa.png
    popcorn-startrek.gif
    ruckus.jpg
    IMG_20130928_214743.jpg
    BayAreaAmusementsDeathStar.jpg
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Recently, I was excited to find a Data East Star Wars Death Star replacement at Bay Area Amusements' site. I ordered it.

A couple weeks go by, no death star in the mail, so I email them.

They give me this weak story about having emailed me (I checked, they didn't) -- and that "apt/Suite" was on a line of my address, thus they couldn't mail the item without confirming my address. I checked the paypal invoice, that isn't there. But, whatever.

I confirmed the address and they sent the death star.

(pictured)

So, I email them because it is really quite fail by comparison and their catalog listing says nothing about it being a (repro) -- though I assumed it was, all this stuff is.

Again, no email.

So, today this super defensive "parts mgr" calls me. She tells me that they have it very clearly stated on their site that is a repro and I can either keep it or not but there is nothing else they can do. She explains that I am the 1 in 10 case of a person who ordered it and isn't happy with it..

She's condescending as hell, keeps interrupting me, so I hang up on her.

At the end of the day.. I didn't want a refund. I just wanted to know, "is this the best you can do?"

I really didn't need a lesson on what a repro is.. I really didn't need some rude-ass employee calling and being all defensive.

I hope my experience is an outlier. So few places left to buy this stuff, I hope you others are having better experiences on the customer-service front with Bay Area Amusements. Mine, was pretty piss-poor.

// Error: Image 138166 not found // // Error: Image 138167 not found // BayAreaAmusementsDeathStar.jpgBayAreaAmusementsDeathStar.jpg IMG_20130928_214743.jpgIMG_20130928_214743.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Awesome .

#3 10 years ago

do they not accept returns?

#4 10 years ago

So what, one person has a single order he is unhappy with and we are all suppose to avoid bayareaamusements?? Come on. Try contacting them and returning the product if you're unhappy rather than causing some sort of ruckus. Besides, what you received looks exactly like the picture to me.

#5 10 years ago

I hit submit too early, my bad.

Yep, they will do returns.

Quoted from markmon:

So what, one person has a single order he is unhappy with and we are all suppose to avoid bayareaamusements?? Come on. Try contacting them and returning the product if you're unhappy rather than causing some sort of ruckus. Besides, what you received looks exactly like the picture to me.

You are right. I should totally only post positive reviews. There is no room of negativity on the internet.

... I wanted to like them. Hell, I didn't even want a refund.

Just someone to be respectful and have a conversation.

You miss the point here. I think when something like this goes down and you have contact with a customer, it's the opportunity to make a connection, to build a relationship with that customer.

Instead of, "It isn't us, it's you. Take it or leave it, I don't know what your problem is" before I even have a chance to talk with them.

#6 10 years ago

I second what Marmon said, it looks like you received exactly what the picture was. So what's the big deal? Break out some plastics compatible paints, weather the thing and detail it and INSTALL it!

Reproduction pinball plastic parts often are not the exact same as the original.

#7 10 years ago

I didn't like my Rudy head. I got a quick full refund with an apology. This seems like an unusual experience. They're really good/reliable. Sorry you felt this didn't work out- but you should just get a refund and move on.

#8 10 years ago

Return it and get a refund.

Problem solved.

#9 10 years ago

I ordered the same crappy repro about 3 years ago when I was reworking my uncle's Star Wars from BAA. I was equally as pissed about the very poor quality. I believe I sent it back for a refund, I forget what we wound up doing.

I've been burned a few times between BAA and Marco by purchasing what I was lead to believe were original parts that wound up being very very poor quality reproductions (decals come to mind...)

Live and learn. I try to get items that I KNOW are unobtainium directly from the reproduction manufacturer, or I hold out for NOS/Good Quality Used.

Sorry to hear about your poor customer service experience. Aside from a few questionable (undisclosed) repro parts, I have had very good luck with them.

#10 10 years ago

I have an original if anyone is interested. NOS. Make me an offer.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

I second what Marmon said, it looks like you received exactly what the picture was. So what's the big deal? Break out some plastics compatible paints, weather the thing and detail it and INSTALL it!
    Reproduction pinball plastic parts often are not the exact same as the original.

I do plan to do just that.

I just wish I could have had a better customer service experience with them. I think there is an opportunity for them to learn by me posting this.

Evidently, though, there isn't room on Pinside for a dissenting opinion. or.. maybe I should just post here that I'm a dumbass and Bay Area amusements is arcade jesus wrapped in kittens surrounded by free tacos.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmods:

I have an original if anyone is interested. NOS. Make me an offer.

pm to you sir

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

I just wish I could have had a better customer service experience with them. I think there is an opportunity for them to learn by me posting this.

Email Rick and tell him.

LTG : )

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

I'm a dumbass and Bay Area amusements is arcade jesus wrapped in kittens surrounded by free tacos.

Thanks man
    I needed a good laugh.

I've had less than responsive customer service at BAA. But always got what I needed.
    I didn't interpret the original post as saying "don't shop at BAA", but I'm also not sure what we're meant to "learn from your experience"? You obviously got someone on a bad day... at least I hope so. But if several people started reporting similar treatment, I'd start to worry. I'm sure Rick would rather be aware of this than not.

Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion... whether good or bad. I would'nt sweat it.
    Unfortunatley, some here tend to believe their opinions or gripes are the only ones worth listening to.

Enjoy your death star (original or otherwise)!

#15 10 years ago

Bay Area Amusements is usually lightning fast with my orders. I'm in FL and assume they are in the Bay Area in CA and most of my orders are received within 2 days of my order.

#16 10 years ago

Try contacting them and returning the product if you're unhappy rather than causing some sort of ruckus.

ruckus.jpgruckus.jpg

#17 10 years ago

I have no idea why people are jumping all over the original poster so much.
    Seems like valid points to take in if you we're going to order this part.
    The info about them not sending packages to apartments is great info as well.
    I also know now, that if I ever have to call them, I should start out pouring sugar all over them before politely asking them to help.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

I have no idea why people are jumping all over the original poster so much.
    Seems like valid points to take in if you we're going to order this part.
    The info about them not sending packages to apartments is great info as well.
    I also know now, that if I ever have to call them, I should start out pouring sugar all over them before politely asking them to help.

The first was probably just b/c I posted prematurely (a partially filled out post)..

The rest is the pile-on algorithm encoded in our DNA, apparently.

On the address /shipping -- Just to clear up my miscommunication on that :
    I'm sure they will send to an apartment. i think the deal is, whatever integration they have with paypal added a blank apt/suite field on my address and they were confused as to whether or not I had one / didn't ship it for fear of it going to the wrong place.

My registered billing and shipping addresses didn't have a blank apt/suite (i'm in a house) so, I thought initially they were victim to some sort of data interchange hand off error in their site / Point of sale system. Now, I wonder if they were just trying to save face for a lost order or something, lol.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

On the address /shipping -- Just to clear up my miscommunication on that :
    I'm sure they will send to an apartment. i think the deal is, whatever integration they have with paypal added a blank apt/suite field on my address and they were confused as to whether or not I had one / didn't ship it for fear of it going to the wrong place.

Awesome. Good to know.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

... I wanted to like them. Hell, I didn't even want a refund.

Just someone to be respectful and have a conversation.

If you want a part, order it from them. If you want a respectful conversation, just log
    on to Pinside.

#21 10 years ago

Bay Area was great for me, sorry it wasn't as good for you. Hopefully this was just a case of someone at the company having a bad day.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

You miss the point here. I think when something like this goes down and you have contact with a customer, it's the opportunity to make a connection, to build a relationship with that customer.
    Instead of, "It isn't us, it's you. Take it or leave it, I don't know what your problem is" before I even have a chance to talk with them.

This is a public forum. Not the BAA customer service hotline. And I'm not a BAA representative. So yea. The problem was yours. You got what was pictured. If you're unhappy then return it.

Your thread topic is a warming about BAA. It's not a warning on a product. You didn't even try to work with customer service. Instead you buy one product, indicate you're not happy in public and warn everyone to beware of the company.

#23 10 years ago

Why complain like a child on this forum. Simply return it & get your money back.

#24 10 years ago

I order from BAA, fast and always happy with my orders.

They were at Pin-A-Go-Go, and it was impossible to get their attention to ask them a question about a playfield they had behind them. Too busy chatting with each other.

So maybe they're not the best people responders or something, I dunno, I'll keep buying things from their website.

#25 10 years ago

I had several rude interactions with Rick 7 or 8 years ago and I haven't had a need or reason to do business with them since.
    I suspect Rick and I are both happy
    BAA is my absolute last choice for ANYTHING.

#26 10 years ago

The OP seems like a good post to me.

I would not be happy with that part, and I don't see anywhere on their page that it is a reproduction.

#27 10 years ago

looks like a cool death star yamaka.

#28 10 years ago

Sorry for the not so great experience, I think we offered multiple times to return this. You repeatedly asked if this was the best we could do and at least didn't accept that this was the best we could do - the answer unfortunately for this part is 'yes' - this is what is available ... would we like better yes. So, I think the 'parts mgr' could not get past the 'we will refund you' so that's where it turned out sour.

So, you can certainly return it, but we find it's better to offer a suboptimal part sometime and post a clear picture (and refine the descriptions as we need to), than to offer nothing at all.

Sounds like the condescending-ness was not one sided ... but heck, I guess the customer is always right and yes we always want to do better ... so we are happy to make it right!

thanks,
    [email protected]

#29 10 years ago

I buy from BAA and they have been excellent. I had an issue with a playfield protector I bought there (not their fault apparently but the postal service). I emailed them, they got back to me right away and a person (the parts manager) called me on the phone and yes she did over talk me and didn't listen very well but BAA refunded me 50% of my money and let me keep the product, although it was a bit defective I was still happy they did something and stood behind their product. Different people have different experiences with different companies. Some people love Kimballs pinballs but that was my worst purchasing experience EVER. Guy sent me a broken/glued product and when I emailed him about it he said it was the US postal services fault and to contact them, he wasn't willing to work with me until I started a pal-pal dispute. Then because he was forced to, he wanted me to send everything back (and I ordered a bunch of stuff) instead of just working with me on the one broken product. He was super condescending and said I broke it, what a jerk. But long story short some people have good experiences with certain venders and some don't. My experiences with BAA have been good.

#30 10 years ago

I returned one item, to BAA 4-5 years ago. I'm still waiting for the refund, wasn't that much I think it cost me more to send it back.
    I have ordered from them again only because they had the right parts and do ship fast.

#31 10 years ago

I have bought and spent a lot of money with BAA . Dealing with them online is great and have had no issues. I have had a run in with the parts manager as well and she was pretty rude to me for no apparent reason. I think I hung up on her as well. From the tone of the OP, it doesn't seem like to me he isn't trying to have anyone boycott from buying parts from BAA. He is just posting his frustration. If he is right or wrong, I will still buy from BAA only through the Internet. I hope to never have to speak with them on the phone after my experience as the OP has stated.

#32 10 years ago

This was the message we sent BEFORE the phone call to us (that maybe the customer did or did not read), so I think the tone on this was ok. I think the confrontational call that was made should have been handled better on our side, and that is about all there is to say. We often get all sorts of calls with customers who expect something of a miracle relative to what is available, so probably happened in this case ...

Hi,

If you are unhappy with the part then please send it back to:

100 GILMAN AVE STE B
    CAMPBELL CA 95008

Please also know that these are the only reproductions out there so you will not be able to find a different one, unless it was NOS. You can return it we are just letting you know so you don’t try and get the same thing elsewhere. They are as good as they will get for this part. Thank you and sorry about you not being satisfied. Thanks,

BAA
    408 416 3675

We will process the refund when we get the part back if you choose to return it.

#33 10 years ago

Nice responses BAA.
    Glad to know the fault was a little bit on both sides.
    Very nice of you to help get this correct.
    I have purchased many items from you guys with no problems.
    However as a business owner I realize every transaction can't be perfect.

#34 10 years ago

I like their tech support.

LTG : )

#35 10 years ago

If you send that repo deathstar to Zdoor or Hemi of pinball refinery to get painted it will look better then the original. Just saying have you seen Zdoor's work WOW!

#36 10 years ago

Nothing but excellent experience with BAA from me.

I ordered some scrolls for my CV. They showed up, and they didn't quite match. The colors were a bit different. When I called, I was told that they would ship out a new set without even waiting for me to return the ones that I had. The gal I spoke with said that, in fact, I could wait until I received the two scrolls and pick out the two out of the four that I liked the best and return the other two.

They definitely did right by me.

Seems like you don't have much to complain about here. You didn't like the repro. They offered a refund. What more do you want them to do?

I'm really not clear on what we are supposed to "learn from your experience"?

#37 10 years ago

I love anecdotal evidence!

#38 10 years ago

I'm just curious. What is different about the one pictured versus the original?
    It looks to me like detail is the same but maybe the color?

#39 10 years ago

For ever 100 pinball parts orders... there's going to be 2 or 3 that either don't meet expectations or are screwed up on the companies end. Marcos always seems to get a bunch of flack. Best advice I can tell anyone is to first, pick up the phone, ask to speak to a human and .... lastly.... remain calm and state why your unhappy. In 17 Years plus in the hobby, the same vendors often mentioned here will always try to make things right. Sounds like thus issue was a " one-off" but things do happen. Have fun~SpOoKy

#40 10 years ago

That email response looks fine to me!

But oh man, they let that RobT guy back in again.

#41 10 years ago

I'll be seeing Rick at Expo. If you want me to kick his ass, I'd be more than happy to.

#42 10 years ago

Bryan ... getting too big for your britches! First Pin-Footies, then next you think you can kick my ass. I will take on you and your 'entourage' financed thru your illicit wood carving activities ... lol

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

That email response looks fine to me!
    But oh man, they let that RobT guy back in again.

Probably not for long if a certain Pinside moderator has his way.

#44 10 years ago

That's just it. For every 1000 orders that go well that NO ONE ever hears about, 1 person gets on a public forum and rants on and on about a company.

We're not here to combat your experience which apparently really sucked. But a lot of us have had great luck with BAA and we feel the need to share our good experiences with you to show you that they're not all bad.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from BAA:

Bryan ... getting too big for your britches! First Pin-Footies, then next you think you can kick my ass. I will take on you and your 'entourage' financed thru your illicit wood carving activities ... lol

My people will meet your people in the parking lot.....beers on me.

#46 10 years ago

Dance off

#47 10 years ago

I think in the pin business you have to adjust to the type of people you are dealing with.... Different breed, I don't have a problem with it though, I like to the point and I don't need coddling. I understand how it comes across as rude though, but if they say "you can return the part if you don't like it", then just return it and move on. If you want to be wined and dined I don't think most pinball parts sellers are proficient in that. My 2 cents.....

#48 10 years ago

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but have to say they have been great for me to get parts and stuff posted to Australia, it always arrives super quick. Hope you can work it out.. cheers.

#49 10 years ago

I have made numerous orders through BAA and Marco. I have never had a negative experience with either. They are my 2 default 'go to' places everytime.

#50 10 years ago

Bryan ... my people are ready for your people ... some of my people are probably your people though!

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bay-area-amusements-please-learn-from-my-experience and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.