• Beatles Gold 16 votes
    24%
  • Alice Cooper 31 votes
    46%
  • Oktoberfest 20 votes
    30%

(67 votes)

#1 4 years ago

We get all the popular new Sterns at my route location, so I prefer less common pins for my game room. From what’s currently available new I’m interested in Alice Cooper, Oktoberfest and Beatles. I generally prefer The following:

Rules not overly cumbersome
Pins on the more challenging side, with shorter ball times.
Good soundtrack and call outs
Addictive and replayable. “Just one more game!”
Good layout with satisfying shots
Humor a plus
Unique features a plus
When all the elements come together for an immersive and fun experience!

Which pin does it sound like I’m describing? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

No shilling for JJP Pirates

#2 4 years ago

I didn't vote because I haven't played them all yet, But Beatles for sure fits a lot of your criteria. Except humor and whatever the shit 'immersive' is which I almost downvoted you for

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I didn't vote because I haven't played them all yet, But Beatles for sure fits a lot of your criteria. Except humor and whatever the shit 'immersive is which I almost downvoted you for

Ha! Ok. I shortened that part.

#4 4 years ago

Oops. Double post

#5 4 years ago

I had a choice of all three and chose the Beatles. I love the classic Stern and Bally Games and simple layout. The music is obvious, unless you are not a Beatles fan. The opto spinners are amazing, they rip like no spinner I've ever seen.

Rules not overly cumbersome (yes)
Pins on the more challenging side, with shorter ball times. (yes)
Good soundtrack and call outs (serious Yes)
Addictive and replayable. “Just one more game!” (yes)
Good layout with satisfying shots (yes)
Humor a plus (no so much)
Unique features a plus (opto spinners)
When all the elements come together for an immersive and fun experience! (yes)

I'm a huge Spooky fan, so I can't knock ACNC. It's just not for me.
Oktoberfest is a miss for me on theme, but not by much. Overall a good game.

Best of luck in your choice!

#6 4 years ago

Beatles is fun. Pure fun. Not too complicated.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

We get all the popular new Sterns at my route location, so I prefer less common pins for my game room. From what’s currently available new I’m interested in Alice Cooper, Oktoberfest and Beatles. I generally prefer The following:
Rules not overly cumbersome
Pins on the more challenging side, with shorter ball times.
Good soundtrack and call outs
Addictive and replayable. “Just one more game!”
Good layout with satisfying shots
Humor a plus
Unique features a plus
When all the elements come together for an immersive and fun experience!
Which pin does it sound like I’m describing? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
No shilling for JJP Pirates

I played all 3 a lot last Saturday. I like Beatles a lot, but I had long ball times, and there isn't really anything humorous or unique (since it's based off of Seawitch it's not unique). I really liked Oktoberfest, the duck noises cracked me up and there's a lot to do, but it seems like the oompah music might get stale. Alice Cooper was the most challenging, I think the layout isn't as good as Oktoberfest but that means making the shots is much more satisfying, the soundtrack is killer and the entire game is immersive. Some of the callouts by Alice are pretty funny. The rules may be more than you are looking for, but they aren't WOZ/Hobbit/LOTR/TSPP deep, just very unique, like hiding the ball from the pit monster...although the rules aren't done, so it could become more complex.

I voted for AC but I think both it and Oktoberfest would be good choices.

#8 4 years ago

Beatles is fun on location but would get old in a home environment due to lack of depth. Oktoberfest is probably fun and is a cool theme, but I would have concerns about longevity and parts availability years down the road. That leaves Alice Cooper. Spooky's business plan is solid, so they'll likely be in business for a good long while. The layout is interesting, and the code is deep. Art is cool, but theme is meh.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Beatles is fun on location but would get old in a home environment due to lack of depth.

I hear you and I know lots of people feel this way, but not me. For me a pin does not have to be deep to be good for the home. I’m good either way.

#10 4 years ago

well you could just buy alice cooper and seawitch, and cost about as much as a Stern premium.

#11 4 years ago

Beatles is also the most expensive of the three, and sales tax widens that gap farther...

#12 4 years ago

I'm going with Alice. I have also played all three, but lean towards the complexity of the Spooky machine.

My feeling is that neither of the games selected fits everything that you are looking for, but Alice seems to be there for the long run. Oktoberfest is an interesting game, Beatles a close second behind Alice.

If Beatles were cheaper, then it would get the nod. Fun, simple game that does call you back with "C'mon, one more?"

#13 4 years ago

Game room guys has Beatles Gold on sale for $6799 + tax. So, price-wise they're all in the same neighborhood

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

stilll too much for seawitch.

If it were themed Seawitch and didn;t have all the awfull shit it would be better than Seawitch; but that's always been the runt of Sterns for me.

#16 4 years ago

Beatles is most likely next on my list, it’s an absolute blast to play. Have not tried Alice yet.

Definitely pricey even with the game room guys deal after tax, but I can absolutely see holding onto it for a long time.

Ticks all your boxes minus the humor, but it’s still a fun light hearted game. KILLER multiplayer game as well, and it shoots FAST which I really dig.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 14.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battle-of-the-uncommon-new-pins?hl=kevindrives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.