64%
  • Road Kings 21 votes
    25%

(83 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E145DB1D-AE1A-4A85-9DB8-EE3D0EE54175 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

These three sit on the bottom barrel of the system 11 line, of which, there are no bad games.

For those that have played all three, who wins here? I've only gotten time on Millionaire and Big Guns.

Adding a poll for fun.

#2 3 years ago

Fun thread. BG for sure.

#3 3 years ago

Millionaire should win just based on one of the best speech calls (if you have really lousy ball) in Pinball History... "Get a Job!" even the way the guy says it is funny. Anyone know who did the voice on that game?

#4 3 years ago

I think big guns is a gorgeous looking pin. And fun, with shorter ball times. Good toys with the cannons.

But for me, millionaire is just classic cheesiness. I love the three layers of muliball jackpots too. And the callouts are hysterical... and money hungry golddigger chick. Amazing.

#5 3 years ago

I actually really like Big Guns. Weird ass theme, decent music, fun cannons... Millionaire is just 100% cheese and has a pretty unique layout that's fun to shoot. That ramp that shoots the ball back at you has a yagov kicker vibe that surprised me the first time it happened. Cool skillshot too (with the only in-line drops on a Williams game?). I haven't had much time on Road Kings, but I like the ramps. None of these 3 games are that bad, honestly. I'd gladly take any of them in my collection.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

the only in-line drops on a Williams game?

Yeah, very neat idea for the skill shot. If you're good at it, you'll get repeat shots at the inline drops. Cool design.

2 weeks later
#7 3 years ago

Interesting discussion and it is true that the SYS 11-series overall is a pretty solid generation of pinball games.

Being a BG-fan myself I have to say that this game, although very linear, certainly is one that scores high in sheer 80's awesomeness. That goes for both artwork and sound. The bold idea to let 1/3 of the PF be dedicated to those awesome double cannons/wiretrails and putting a bagatelle game in the backbox also makes this design stand out in a lineup - apart from being around 6 inches taller than any other normal game.

Generally I think people are put off by BG due to the seemingly narrow and symmetric playfield, and the lack of ramps, spinners and bumpers.
Regarding the theme; yes its weird, corny and maybe crazy - but once again; who wants clones of what already has been done dozen of times on earlier game designs.

Even if BG, Road Kings and Millionaire are on the lower end of the SYS11 scorecard - there are IMHO other games from that line that are even less interesting: Fire! and Bugs Bunny.

#8 3 years ago

Nice write up!

#9 3 years ago

My vote is Big Guns only because 5 years ago I bought 2 in the same day, on the same street, about 2 miles apart, both for 1000 bucks each. One of my great days of pinball.
The garbled monster noise and save the queen. The bagetilly backbox challenge is unique aspect of game. And who doesn't love that giant head?
However, your missing Fire as the cheap man's system 11, and its my favorite.

#10 3 years ago

Its well deserved and not nearly as "nice" as the mountain of applause for some modern boat anchors like Champion Pub or Popeye......

#11 3 years ago

Millionaire is one of my favorite games to show non-pinball people. It has an interesting skill shot that anyone can get the hang of. No lock qualifiers so anyone can get multiball. And post passing is easy (at least on my game) so anyone can get a taste of a semi-advanced skill.

#12 3 years ago

Of your three options, I’d pick Road Kings.

Cool music, obtainable goal, you can build the kickout value up. Plus, bonus points for the dude on the backglass.

Big Guns is ok ... jackpot is pretty tough to get, backbox bagatelle is a bit of a waste of time.

Sorry, Millionaire is not good. Art is awful, sound is awful, gameplay is not good. Hey, it’s an awesome pinball machine buy for $600! But that’s about it. The boards are worth more than the pin is. Lol.

I’ve been thinking of splitting up my complete SYS11 collection - first out the door would be Millionaire, followed quickly by Fire. Never warmed to that game. (Pun!!)

Bugs Bunny would be close behind but the wife says “it’s cute! It’s bugs bunny!!!” So I’m doomed to own it for eternity.

The other 27, I really like!

rd

PS Road Kings Dude rules!
E145DB1D-AE1A-4A85-9DB8-EE3D0EE54175 (resized).jpegE145DB1D-AE1A-4A85-9DB8-EE3D0EE54175 (resized).jpeg

#13 3 years ago

Big Guns!
Great overhead style art.
Shoot Space Goblins
Not 1 but 2 cannons that shoot the ball through the air.
Save the Queen!
Backbox Bagatelle
Not 1 but 2 outlane/center drain lane saves.
3 ball multiball
6 drop targets
Fast and furious!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from smileymatthew:

Millionaire should win just based on one of the best speech calls

Reaaaalllyyyy????

(Haha I actually agree with this)

#15 3 years ago

Road Kings is my pick. Killer music and the theme is the tops with its Road Warrior/post-nuke apocalyptic artwork. Plays great too.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Of your three options, I’d pick Road Kings.
Cool music, obtainable goal, you can build the kickout value up. Plus, bonus points for the dude on the backglass.
Big Guns is ok ... jackpot is pretty tough to get, backbox bagatelle is a bit of a waste of time.
Sorry, Millionaire is not good. Art is awful, sound is awful, gameplay is not good. Hey, it’s an awesome pinball machine buy for $600! But that’s about it. The boards are worth more than the pin is. Lol.
I’ve been thinking of splitting up my complete SYS11 collection - first out the door would be Millionaire, followed quickly by Fire. Never warmed to that game. (Pun!!)
Bugs Bunny would be close behind but the wife says “it’s cute! It’s bugs bunny!!!” So I’m doomed to own it for eternity.
The other 27, I really like!
rd
PS Road Kings Dude rules!
[quoted image]

Your Road Kings was my very first Pinball! Packing it up for you and taking it to the shipping place in Houston brings back memories. Play a game and drink a beer for me tonight!!!

Road Kings for the win! You’ll be back, Jack!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

More
Your Road Kings was my very first Pinball! Packing it up for you and taking it to the shipping place in Houston brings back memories

Funny, as I was thinking of that literally last week when I played it to test it before a big tournament weekend I was hosting.

Thanks for selling it to me!

rd

#18 3 years ago

Road Kings is awesome. The rules around spotting the ROAD KINGS letters are well designed, the half-loop is easier to hit than the target banks, but carries a greater risk of a center drain. The Time Lock is tense and challenging, far more difficult than Pinbot's similar Solar Value, and there's a further goal after it in multiball with the Mega Score. Excellent music that I believe was the first instance of a game adding a new melody line to the song as play goes on, and cool sounds, especially the return of the High Speed freeway siren for going up the left orbit. It's also a bit of a sentimental game for me, I played a lot of it in high school.

Big Guns has my favorite theme concept in all of pinball, as well as one of the greatest callouts ("YOU ARE INVINCIBLE!"), but I actually haven't played it enough to form a solid opinion beyond that. It's never been on location where I live, I only get to play it at a yearly show.

I've never played Millionaire. I saw it once, but the displays were out. Pardon the pun, but without any scoring, I didn't see the point in playing.

#19 3 years ago

I think Road Kings has by far the best layout. For home-use rules are a bit too easy though: I'd make sure to put settings on hard, so it's a bit more of a challenge to get to multiball.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

[quoted image]

Hush your mouth. You can't split things up. You've set an amazing bar that I'm trying to match........Fire is great. Such a strange player. That must be why I like it.

i didn't enjoy millionaire when I played it but I will admit I have limited time on it.

chris

#21 3 years ago

What I love about millionaire other than the amazing gold digger call outs, is the three levels of jackpot. Each having their own point amount payout.

Honestly I think the game is underrated.

1 week later
#22 3 years ago

Road Kings by a mile. As another poster mentioned set the difficulty level to “hard” and this is a very challenging game. Really tough to fight and defeat the Road Kings when the letters dont carry over ball to ball.
Sweet music and great primitive Steve Richie voice callouts too. “WHO AMONG YOU WILL CHALLENGE US??!”

3 weeks later
#23 3 years ago

Just happened across this thread kind of late. I'll take..

1. Big Guns. There is a LITTLE more to it then the other 2 as far as objectives. I would rate "Fire" about here too. Mine is brutally fast with a CPR playfield.
2. Road Kings. Recently got one. Like the theme mostly. Pretty cool game play.
3. Millionaire. It was a decent game. Not looking too hard to replace the one I sold.

#24 3 years ago

I've only played/owned a Road Kings. (So I'm biased) One of my first machines and have actually learned a lot on Williams games because of the various repairs I've had to do on her. (Connectors burnt & replaced, NVram installed, flippers totally shot & rebuilt and my first mods!)
Recently added some soft white GI led's to lighten her up a bit which helped quite a bit. Have her sitting right next to my T2 and actually fits right in - futuristic, motorcycles, multi-ball.... "You'll be back" next to "I'll be back"

#25 3 years ago

I bought a Big Guns project machine back in June. It's my first System 11, joining my Williams Gorgar and Williams Honey machines in the gameroom. I've got it working well again, after doing some rework on the MPU to fix traces damaged by a previous owner. I'm already searching for another System 11 to add next summer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battle-of-the-cheap-man-s-system-11s-road-kings-millionaire-big-guns?hl=sinistarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.